Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 09:13   #31
BHPian

I own a Xcent Auto variant.
I use a Windows phone (Nokia 520). I continue to face the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
@AkMar, thanks for the detailed review. you sure have eye for detail and the images are amazing. This and the other Xcent ownership review here helped me conclude on this beautiful ride. I took delivery of my Twilight blue SX couple of days back and boy is it fun to drive around. I am still getting a hang of the machine and hoping to put up a ownership review soon.

I am actually facing some problem with the bluetooth connectivity with my phone. The unit in the car just wont download my contacts - been failing every time. I have a OnePlus X Android phone and nothing special there. Do I need to have the contact database saved on my phone to have it downloaded? (I mean right now it is synced in my google account, not sure if it is there on my phone hard drive). Maybe need to spend some more time troubleshooting. Hope I am not missing anything obvious.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.
@Akmar, thanks for the update. It has been close to 6 months since I got my Xcent (Auto Transmission, Passion Red). It has clocked 6500 Kms.

Following are few points that I wanted to add:
1. Got the car serviced once. Do not see any difference in the fuel efficiency. In city traffic (Bengaluru) it comes close to 8 to 9 Kmpl. On highway I get close to 14 to 14.5 Kmpl (AC turned ON). The trip meter off course renders extremely limited information. We have got to do our own math.

2. Air conditioner: I completely concur with your statement. I felt that the air conditioner is its weakness. We haven't even tested peak summer. Still it struggles to cool down. The problem is aggravated when you select the "Auto" option. Since it does not deliver the required temperature, I start increasing manually.
One more problem that I have encountered is complete non functioning of it when used for longer duration continuously. We did two trips to Hyderabad. We did 560 Kms in 9 hours (with 3 breaks). In the fag end of the trip the AC Stopped working completely. This is my first car. I do not know if there is some manual upkeeping that I am supposed to do for the AC to function better.

3. Scratches: Too obvious in passion red. 2 scratches that it picked up were without my knowledge. Heart burn the first time, got used to it the next time.

4. Brakes: This is something which has been the second big irritant. When at very slow speeds (while getting it out of parking lot) a light touch of the brake, car stops with a jolt as if I slammed the brake. When at decent speed the brake gets hard, have to slam it hard to get it to halt. This has caused some anxious moments. The technician said it is by design. He did work on it. The issue persists though.

5. Door lock: In my sister's I10 Auto Sportz the door gets locked once you remove the hand brake and are in drive mode. In my Xcent Auto I got to manually close the door when on the move. Not sure why we do not have such an option. Is there a difference between manual and auto, or do you face the same issue.

Regards,
Venkat K

Last edited by ampere : 18th January 2016 at 10:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged
kayvwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:17   #32
BHPian

Re: 6 months of ownership complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
1. I found the engine's idling note slightly clattery today. This was after the car was driven around at low speeds for around 5 minutes. Temperature gauge was at 40-45% mark. I have attached a recording of the engine note: Attachment 1461539 Please listen to it and let me know if it is the same in all cars.
My car has crossed 7200 KM. I don't yet have this tone but when air-con compressor kicks in, there is a metallic clatter for me which was not there initially. But it sounds differently than what's recorded here.
roby.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: My Hyundai Xcent S(O) Petrol. EDIT: 4 year update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvwar View Post

5. Door lock: In my sister's I10 Auto Sportz the door gets locked once you remove the hand brake and are in drive mode. In my Xcent Auto I got to manually close the door when on the move. Not sure why we do not have such an option. Is there a difference between manual and auto, or do you face the same issue.
This is not an issue, but an absent feature. Xcent does not have auto locking doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
My car has crossed 7200 KM. I don't yet have this tone but when air-con compressor kicks in, there is a metallic clatter for me which was not there initially. But it sounds differently than what's recorded here.
Thanks for the confirmation. This recording was without AC. Anyway, I think it is not something of major concern.

The car crossed 3.5K mark yesterday. I would like to point out another example of poor AC performance. It was a cool winter evening yesterday. But still, the AC was struggling to maintain a comfortable temperature at blower speed 1, with temperature knob at the coolest position. This was at 5-5.30 pm when the sun was not harsh either. This would have been a piece of cake for the Swift's AC.

Ride quality is another aspect I am not too happy about. At speeds, it feels quite unsettled.
Old 18th January 2016, 12:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The car crossed 3.5K mark yesterday. I would like to point out another example of poor AC performance. It was a cool winter evening yesterday. But still, the AC was struggling to maintain a comfortable temperature at blower speed 1, with temperature knob at the coolest position. This was at 5-5.30 pm when the sun was not harsh either. This would have been a piece of cake for the Swift's AC.
I think you have some specific problem with A/C. Get it checked once for sure. Personally, I am often being requested to turn up the temperature from 23C since my wife feels cold at the back seat with my kid around. I'm in Kochi, and the sun isn't that soft here on us. However I must say that I run on a V-Kool 60 sun film (It's quite not noticeable).

And once in a while, I have the habit of turning the temperature control to heater mode 'HI' and blower turned all the way up (All Windows obviously opened). I do this usually after a trip, before shutting off the car. This is regarded as a good habit to possibly clean-up the moisture and bad odour (might be due to fungal spores). This might be helping me out.

The only trouble I have with this A/C is when you switch ON (if it has been turned off) starts with air intake set to external mode. This for the most part goes unnoticed. In heavy sun, the A/C then struggles and that's when we hunt down for what's wrong. Mostly the lower right corner switch of air-intake is in blind spot for the driver and the blue LED glow inside it.

Also, this air conditioner actually cools in summer but we may feel it is not adequate. I realized this because the ACC detects that the temperature has actually come down, but then reduces the fan speed drastically. Even in heavy sun, it does this. In that case, turning the blower up certainly helps. Not sure yours have the ACC type air-con. You may ask, if this has to be done manually then why ACC, but that's something I too ask myself
Old 13th July 2016, 13:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

1 year update!

Folks, Its already been a year since the Xcent came into our family! Its odo currently reads around 6900 km. We got its second free service done at Sai Auto Hyundai, Borivali. Oil/oil filter change was done & we changed cabin air filter voluntarily. Total bill came to around 1800 rupees. service experience was nothing to complain about. The SA did not push for unnecessary works. Hoping it continues. There is some improvement in the refinement post service. At times there used to be a jerk while depressing the clutch while shifting from 1st to 2nd. It has vanished now.

A couple of months ago, this happened when the car was parked, due to falling debris from renovation work in the building.
My Hyundai Xcent S(O) Petrol. EDIT: 4 year update-img_1440.jpg

Got the windscreen changed under insurance. Also repaired a dent on front fender & door along with it. We do have an issue with the tyres of the car. (Link to thread) Apart from that it has been a fuss free first year of ownership. This is a fill it-shut it-forget it type of car. The interiors have held up well. There are no rattles from any part of the car. My initial view that this car is a jack of all trades (but not master of all) still stands true. It still remains a very good option in its segment, ticking most of the boxes. best in class interiors, refined petrol engine, unoffensive looks, generous feature list, good comfort levels & so on. As the car is not used for daily office commutes, it is really difficult to have any tankful of fuel which is used only in the city or only on highways. It consistently delivers 14-15 kmpl in mixed driving conditions. Summarising list of its positives & negatives after a year:

Pros:

+Interior Quality
+Niggle free till date
+Refined engine with strong mid range
+Interiors well screwed together - no rattles.
+Ample space for 4 passengers
+Acceptable ride quality
+Huge boot
+Smooth & slick gearshifts

Cons
-5th occupant is unwelcome - inadequate width + hard seat back
-Not Fun to drive. Suspension tuned for comfort over handling.
-Mediocre AC performance
-Lack of low end grunt. The engine feels dead upto 1800-2000 rpm under hard acceleration, after which there is a surge of power as if someone has let off the car from a leash
-Laggy throttle response. Most of the times it takes a few moments for the engine rpm to rise after pressing the throttle. This can be annoying in bumper to bumper traffic involving lots of start-stop.

Feel free to ask questions that you may have. I will try my best to answer them!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 16:47   #36
BHPian

Re: 1 year update!

Quote:
Folks, Its already been a year since the Xcent came into our family! Its odo currently reads around 6900 km. We got its second free service done at Sai Auto Hyundai, Borivali. Oil/oil filter change was done & we changed cabin air filter voluntarily. Total bill came to around 1800 rupees. service experience was nothing to complain about. The SA did not push for unnecessary works. Hoping it continues. There is some improvement in the refinement post service. At times there used to be a jerk while depressing the clutch while shifting from 1st to 2nd. It has vanished now.
Hi AkMar, Congratulations for the Xcent, I also picked by Grand i10 recently through Sai Auto Hyundai.

For servicing at Sai Auto, you can connect with Mr. Bhavin, he is the Service Manager there and a very good friend & a knowledgeable guy. Knows what he is doing, and does the right thing. Will PM you his number if you need, you can give him my reference.

Do you stay in Borivali East in a complex opposite SSL, coz I stay near there too and your complex looked familiar..

If that be the case, we can catch up sometimes over the weekend. Probably, can jointly do the photo shoot of two Hyundai Siblings together...
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 13:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
For servicing at Sai Auto, you can connect with Mr. Bhavin, he is the Service Manager there and a very good friend & a knowledgeable guy. Knows what he is doing, and does the right thing. Will PM you his number if you need, you can give him my reference.
Hi,

Please PM me his number. I think we will be needing it due to a peculiar thing myself & dad noticed with the car. The car is tilted towards 1 side. driver's side sits lower than passenger side in an unladen car parked on level surface. We don't think it is normal in a car. The distance between top of tyre & wheel arch on driver's side is less than that on passenger side. A rough illustration:

My Hyundai Xcent S(O) Petrol. EDIT: 4 year update-img_7612.jpg

I believe that it should be same on both sides in any normal car. It would be helpful to know what other BHPians think of this.
Old 1st August 2016, 15:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Please PM me his number. I think we will be needing it due to a peculiar thing myself & dad noticed with the car. The car is tilted towards 1 side. driver's side sits lower than passenger side in an unladen car parked on level surface. We don't think it is normal in a car. The distance between top of tyre & wheel arch on driver's side is less than that on passenger side. A rough illustration:

I believe that it should be same on both sides in any normal car. It would be helpful to know what other BHPians think of this.
Have PMed you Bhavin's number. Meanwhile, do you remember going relatively fast on any pothole? As in our area, potholes that can put craters to shame have cropped up.

I believe, even the Xcent has gas charged suspension, if that be true this looks like issue pertaining to the suspension gas leakage or the pre adjusted height going bust. Bhavin will be able to give you more insights post inspection
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 12:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

An update, and not a good one. Yesterday the car had a bad day. During a driver in Borivali national park, a BEST bus bullied me to take passenger side wheels off the road. Rear tyre suffered a sidewall cut due to concrete edge while coming back on the road. We will buy 1 new tyre & put it on the spare wheel, and the tyre which is currently on spare wheel will be mounted on the alloy wheel whose tyre was cut. This will ensure that all 4 regular use tyres are of the same make.
Old 13th September 2016, 19:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

We replaced the spare tyre with a new Yokohama for around Rs 4000 from a neighborhood tyre shop, which is a Yokohama preferred dealer. Also got tyre rotation, wheel alignment & balancing done for Rs 700.
Old 6th October 2016, 15:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would like to share an update. We showed the car to service center yesterday, for the issue of uneven gaps between tyre & body. Here is an image showing the same, clicked today morning:

My Hyundai Xcent S(O) Petrol. EDIT: 4 year update-img_3956.jpg

On the left is rear driver side wheel, & rear passenger side wheel on the right. As you can see, there is a difference of approx 4-5 cm in the gap between tyre & body on the two sides. A.S.S. examined the underbody & suspension on ramp, and said that there is nothing wrong with the car. They also showed a few other Xcents which showed such a difference. But in our car the difference is greater than other cars which they showed.

For now we have taken the car back as it will be required over the weekend. Pure logic tells me that the level of a car should be same on both the sides. It should not be tilted to one side like our car.

What course of action should we take going forward?
Old 10th October 2016, 22:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
They also showed a few other Xcents which showed such a difference. But in our car the difference is greater than other cars which they showed.

For now we have taken the car back as it will be required over the weekend. Pure logic tells me that the level of a car should be same on both the sides. It should not be tilted to one side like our car.

What course of action should we take going forward?
I'm not sure that there is a way forward. In the initial few days itself, I have had noticed that my Xcent is tilted more on to the right side when parked on level floor as in my covered parking area (noticeable when viewed from rear end, from a distance). But the service centre suggested me that they can't find anything wrong and felt I might be too picky about it. I did ignore that issue, and has no problem felt whatsoever till date which I can think of as related to that asymmetry.
Old 10th October 2016, 22:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
I'm not sure that there is a way forward. I did ignore that issue, and has no problem felt whatsoever till date which I can think of as related to that asymmetry.
The only thing causing this could be Coil springs IMO. I have similar issue with my Nano since I bought it. Even slight difference in spring stiffness ( During manufacturing ) might be showing up here.( This is my assumption ).

Again as long as it is not affecting the drive, it can be ignored.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this month the car crossed a milestone - 10000 km. There is no major update to talk of. The car continues to serve reliably & without any fuss. It is a breeze to drive in the city thanks to easy controls & compact dimensions. Dad takes her to our second home around 90 km away over bad roads, which it handles without complaints. It has got its share of scratches in city driving & a lot more while parked. Front passenger seat has started creaking a bit. We will wait for the July servicing to get it fixed. It is not unbearable as of now. Once, the tachometer stopped functioning all of a sudden while I was at the wheel. After switching off ignition completely & restarting the car, it started functioning. The issue has not reappeared after that. These minor things apart, there are no other niggles with the car.

It has been a decent ownership experience so far.
Old 12th April 2017, 08:28   #45
BHPian

Earlier this month the car crossed 10K mark.
Model is Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT
Color: Passion Red
Purchased on August 2015. Took quite a while to do 10K.
Significant usage was weekend temple trips, short outings, house searches etc within Bengaluru city.
Occasionally have driven Bangalore to Salem, Bangalore to Hyderabad and Hyderabad Vijayawada. If not for those trip might have not made that 10K.
Car always driven with AC on in city, irrespective of the time of year.

Liked:
1. Obviously since this is my first car liked it a lot.
2. Very comfortable for 4 to 4.5 (4 + kid) people.
3. Decent interiors, no rattles
4. Boot is also decent sized
5. Hyundai did a great job in selling this car.

Did not like:
1. AC & Automatic Climate Control: My personal experience has been extremely bad on this front. All my long trips I suffered due to AC issues. Multiple times taken up for repair including thermister replacements. ACC, less said the better. In my opinion always 3 or 4 notches less than what it needs to be. The rear cooling tower almost dysfunctional.
2. Metrics on display: Would have loved to see average mileage. For that matter no temperature displayed as well.
3. Fuel efficiency:While it was an informed decision pertaining to fuel efficiency was disappointed with overall outcome. This is what I get:
--> 100% city drive with AC all the time: 7.5 KMPL
--> Mix of city and highway drives: 9 KMPL
--> 100% highway drive: 12 KMPL
4. Hurt my ego few times on the highway as I wasn't able to overtake. It expects you to floor the accelerator some times to shift down.
5. Maruti did not do a great job in selling me Celerio that I intended to buy.
kayvwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks