Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2018, 09:17   #2311
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

You could also applied a very thin layer of copper slip paste on the back of the brake pads. Make sure nothing reaches the pad surface
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 13:43   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
Happens to my car when the brake pedal is not fully depressed..
The service center had told me that there is nothing to worry about. They didn't have an answer for how to stop the noise though.
Same, and same. It is very irritating and quite loud. Attracts negative attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonacha_ma View Post
Next time when you get the disc brake pads replaced, make sure to insist the service team to replace the shim plate that's put in behind the pads.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, although I've been facing this since I bought the car. Considering a new plate was used then, how would it be different upon replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
It was a very nice car in general - sturdy and smooth on bad roads, but not a driver's car for me.
It has been a contentious topic even in this thread with the majority not happy with driver's seat. I find the seats wide enough but lacks lower back support. Somehow I keep shifting in my seat every 15-20kms. But all front seat passengers have praised the comfort level.

Also, Hyundai cars have never been driver's cars. The steering feedback is the worst and brake bite has been mellow. However, I'd differ with you on turbo lag. Hyundai's VGT is probably better than most turbo engines in its class. The power is extremely linear and is improving with every new launch.

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 1st May 2018 at 13:45.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 14:09   #2313
BANNED

Quote:
As far as drivability went, there was immense turbo lag. It was easy to plod around the city, however when a gap opened up in traffic, or there was a annoying car tailgating me, the Creta just wouldn't pull away. I would have to downshift and get the turbo spooled up before it gave me the juice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
However, I'd differ with you on turbo lag.
Agree with what Non-stop Driver has to say.

Crazy engine (in a good way) + short gearing, makes this car a sprinter. Get the timing correct and you'll have to be worried if you'll rear-end someone. Power is available at all times but it is brakes on this car that make the driver sweat.

You need to spend a bit more time with the vehicle IMHO, which is when you'll realise what type of car it is in '1st gear'. Above 6-7 kmph, I upshift to 2nd gear and let it chug along (no lugging!).

Suggest you to get/rent another car when possible, and drive around to know the difference. May be one you got on Zoom Car was not maintained properly.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 14:37   #2314
BHPian

Hi Creta owners , I wanted to describe a bit of a embarrassing incident which happened yesterday with my Creta 1.6CRDI Sx MT. While going to office in the rush hour Hi Tech City traffic in Hyderabad, the gears got stuck and would not shift to any gear from neutral. I switched off the car a couple of times but still, gear did not move when I again swicthed on. The clutch pedal was fully engaged all the time. Suddenly , like a magic, the reverse gear engaged and then on all other gears engaged properly. Entire episode lasted about 2-3 minutes. In the evening I took it to the Kun Hyundai service centre in Gachibowli. The first comment which the service centre guy made was that the clutch was quite "hard". Graduating from a Vento diesel to a Creta, I probably had not realised this He said that there was no possibility of a gear selector cable stuck as the gear selector was a shaft and not a cable running through a groove. His suspicion was clutch issue and probably the clutch pads need to be inspected / changed in the next service.FYI the car is only 9 months / 8000 km old. He explained that the clutch had a master- slave mechanism and being hydraulic in operation, sometimes it has to be pumped frequently to create a pressure built up. I had heard this in context of the braking of a truck , but for a clutch that also in a car, this was surprising! Anyways , he advised me to wait till the next service which is 2 months away and pump clutch if this happens again in the meantime. I am not very convinced at the response and hope nothing happens in the mean time. Has anybody faced this kind of issue in Creta diesel ?

Last edited by saaicon : 1st May 2018 at 14:54.
saaicon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 14:50   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
3) It's absolutely fine in city speed but performs poorly during panic braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsithan View Post
+1
IMO, the biting is delayed if you apply the break on the gravel road. ABS gets activated even before it is required.
We did a 700km road trip through Rajasthan last week. In my 13 months of ownership, I experienced the infamous braking issue for the first time.

We were cruising around 50kmph when the car in front of mine applied brakes unexpectedly. There was a speed breaker that none of us could spot earlier. There was fine sand (baalu mitti) on the road, like most roads in Rajasthan get when winds carry sand from the dunes. I panic braked too but the vehicle seemed to glide forward instead of stopping. The brake pedal kicked back and there was an audible noise. Ideally, I would have expected the vehicle to skid and stop (or crash) but seeing it didn't, I steered the car instinctively to the left and it stopped a few metres ahead of the point where it would've crashed.

Needless to say, it was ABS in action but not the kind of reaction that one would expect from the car. I'm not sure if it is bad technology from Hyundai but I don't see how this crashed could've been averted in any other vehicle. The braking capability to avert the crash is replaced by manoeuvrability.

Next day we experienced it again. On a T point, we had to turn left but a truck came head on from the wrong side. The road had that 3-hump kind of speed breaker. The car reacted in a similar manner but the speed was slower so it lasted a second or so.

Overall I think its an odd implementation of ABS and there is no driver training from Hyundai. Since the experience is unheard of for most drivers (especially first time ABS customers), they conclude it as a mechanical fault.

The prerequisites for this situation seem to be:
1. An uneven surface that would refuse traction
2. Panic braking
Nonstop-driver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 14:52   #2316
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
He said that there was no possibility of a gear selector cable stuck as the gear selector was a shaft and not a cable running through a groove.
Ask that SA to go check Creta MT. The gears are selected through a pair of cables. It'll be above the gearbox casing.

Here's the drawing: Shift Lever Control (MTA) for Hyundai Creta

I suggest you to check the cables on the gearbox casing, may have come loose.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 15:02   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Ask that SA to go check Creta MT. The gears are selected through a pair of cables. It'll be above the gearbox casing.
Thanks Anurag for a prompt reply. However, I am not able to see the cables in the drawing. Are u referring to part number 43760D ?

My car is a Manual Transmission car only which I forgot to mention earlier.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2018 at 15:33. Reason: Fixed quotes
saaicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 15:07   #2318
BANNED

Quote:
Are u referring to part number 43760D ?
Part Number: 43794-A0910

43794 is the number in the drawing.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 15:13   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
The prerequisites for this situation seem to be:
1. An uneven surface that would refuse traction
2. Panic braking
I always experience this - whenever I try braking on a slightly bigger speed breaker, initially there is close to nothing feedback from the brake, a feeling of some cable / rod attached to the brake and further a feel of ABS kicking in (even if the vehicle is at 20-30 kmph). I am not sure how exactly to describe the situation but I faced this in my Verna as well. Have not experienced anything similar in any other brand. So apart from spongy and noisy brakes, this incorrect implementation of ABS also needs to be sorted out.
akshay81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:18   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A couple of days back I rented out a Creta from Zoomcar for a ride within Bangalore.

(I have an E2O whose A/C the India Garage folks busted during the recent service and I couldn't bear driving around a car without cooling in the afternoon heat)
Coming from an electric car that's got full torque from a standstill any non-electric car will be a bit of a shock IMHO. By stating that I'm not stating that's how the E2O drives because I haven't driven one but that's the general principle.

The Creta is one of the best compact SUVs out there that's got the best turbo set up. In fact the drivability of the engine is its highlight. Yes there's lag but you have to go looking for it if you know what I mean. Every diesel car that has a turbo will have a lag and that's the compromise. Some cars like the Creta mask it really well and having test driven one, I'd say it was almost lag free. Also, perhaps the bigger dimensions (wider and taller) of the Creta (compared to E2O) put you off.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:31   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody faced this kind of issue in Creta diesel ?
Yes. I have faced similar situation and the clutch was burned out in couple of days from that incident. Your SA is right but you need to check the clutch ASAP.
Some of the Diesel Creta vehicles have frequent clutch failures even with very less KMs in Odometer. I have posted about the issue few times on this thread
kmsithan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:38   #2322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also, Hyundai cars have never been driver's cars. The steering feedback is the worst and brake bite has been mellow. However, I'd differ with you on turbo lag. Hyundai's VGT is probably better than most turbo engines in its class. The power is extremely linear and is improving with every new launch.
True. It definitely shows it's weakness on a winding road but it's on the highway where it truly shines. Really saw the difference after coming from the Ecosport. Same case with the turbo lag - it's minimal in the Creta. Think Creta as an effective cruiser and nothing else.
Old 1st May 2018, 20:35   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Agree with what Non-stop Driver has to say.

Crazy engine (in a good way) + short gearing, makes this car a sprinter. Get the timing correct and you'll have to be worried if you'll rear-end someone. Power is available at all times but it is brakes on this car that make the driver sweat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Coming from an electric car that's got full torque from a standstill any non-electric car will be a bit of a shock IMHO. By stating that I'm not stating that's how the E2O drives because I haven't driven one but that's the general principle.

The Creta is one of the best compact SUVs out there that's got the best turbo set up. In fact the drivability of the engine is its highlight. Yes there's lag but you have to go looking for it if you know what I mean. Every diesel car that has a turbo will have a lag and that's the compromise. Some cars like the Creta mask it really well and having test driven one, I'd say it was almost lag free. Also, perhaps the bigger dimensions (wider and taller) of the Creta (compared to E2O) put you off.
Interesting feedback, perhaps it was the zoomcar effect, or perhaps I was just in a much higher gear.

Regarding the sprinting, I completely agree and I see where the feedback comes from. The runs on an empty patch from 0-10kmph, the car really took off and yes, I don't recall there being much of the turbo-lag effect. I did push the car on certain empty stretches of road.

However the roll-on acceleration was where I found it lacking. Probably I was in a gear higher than ideal and the engine was just being good and pulling me with all its torque.

I've owned an Ertiga Diesel for 2+ years and I've driven the Innova, Xylo and City diesels on long runs in the recent past. In those cars I probably would have been in a lower gear since they might not have pulled smoothly at the higher gear (the large MUVs having to carry much larger weight / relatively underpowered engines on Eriga). With the Creta driving in 3rd gear was fine at all city road speeds.
herculesksp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:11   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways , he advised me to wait till the next service which is 2 months away and pump clutch if this happens again in the meantime. I am not very convinced at the response and hope nothing happens in the mean time. Has anybody faced this kind of issue in Creta diesel ?
Please get your clutch checked asap! My best friend's Creta's clutch gave way at 9000 kms only. The pedal was pressed and it just stayed pressed. It is a common problem in Cretas and Fluidic Vernas (not sure of latest one). If it is on something on this line then please get it replaced FOC in warranty. I believe it is documented on the forum as well as other forums. My friend's car has now done 72k kms in 3 years and the problem has not surfaced again but still be careful.
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:39   #2325
BHPian

Ha ha! Both of you were dead right! Today afternoon the car stopped again and even if gear lever was engaging, there was no torque in any gear ( engine free rev). somehow the kun united service centre guy could move the car after repeated clutch pumping and drive it to the service centre, I am now sitting in the service centre and fearing that they will simply ask me to replace clutch outside warranty.

Most Viewed