Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 22:28   #736
BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
My Sales Guy has forwarded a VIN for the Creta which has the MALA851xxxx pattern. While all Cretas that I have seen people posting about have had the MALC381xxxxx pattern. Something to worry about ?

Here is a link which provides details about Hyundai VIN pattern. Unfortunately it doesn't list Creta.

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehi...ndai/VIN_Codes

Seems like the 4th character in the series is supposed to represent the model. A represents Xcent and C represents Accent. I'm assuming C is being used for Creta as Accent has been discontinued. Also I've seen Xcent with MALA... VIN which makes me believe C might be more appropriate. But again I can't say for sure. It might be worth while to check with the dealer again to make sure he didn't give you any incorrect info.

Adding a T-BHP thread by Wildon regarding how to find out car manufacturing year and month
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2249666

Last edited by thatsdileep : 25th January 2016 at 22:35.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 19:01   #737
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Thank you. Seems he misquoted in a hurry. It's actually MALC381xxxxx, shares with the Verna series.. And ran into the usual 17 digit vs 19 digit argument.. All sorted now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Here is a link which provides details about Hyundai VIN pattern. Unfortunately it doesn't list Creta.

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehi...ndai/VIN_Codes

Seems like the 4th character in the series is supposed to represent the model. A represents Xcent and C represents Accent. I'm assuming C is being used for Creta as Accent has been discontinued. Also I've seen Xcent with MALA... VIN which makes me believe C might be more appropriate. But again I can't say for sure. It might be worth while to check with the dealer again to make sure he didn't give you any incorrect info.

Adding a T-BHP thread by Wildon regarding how to find out car manufacturing year and month
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2249666
Old 26th January 2016, 20:23   #738
BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thank you. Seems he misquoted in a hurry. It's actually MALC381xxxxx, shares with the Verna series.. And ran into the usual 17 digit vs 19 digit argument.. All sorted now.

Glad to hear that. When are you getting the Creta delivered. Post some pics.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:54   #739
Senior - BHPian

Received a call from my Hyundai dealer yesterday mentioning a 14k price hike towards the Creta.

I have already booked the AT with a 50k down payment. Would the price rise be applicable to me in this scenario?

Anyone else hear about this price revision anywhere?
Old 28th January 2016, 13:53   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Received a call from my Hyundai dealer yesterday mentioning a 14k price hike towards the Creta.

I have already booked the AT with a 50k down payment. Would the price rise be applicable to me in this scenario?

Havent heard anything about the price hike but yes, the new price will be applicable to you. The price at the date of billing will be applicable. So in your case, this 14k will be added to the total price when it's billed.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 07:59   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuresh View Post
Fellow BHPians,

More than 100 days after I booked a Creta, I finally brought home my Creta 1.6 SX CRDi on 28th Dec.
Hi rsuresh,

Any reason why you bought the Creta over an XUV500. I saw few posts of yours on the XUV thread hence the question. Also, I have been having problems with the dealers in Hyderabad. During your research, which M&M dealer you felt was willing to act proactively and help you.

Thanks,
Rohit
Old 30th January 2016, 13:52   #742
BHPian

Why I chose the Creta

Having driven a swift for close to 8 years, which has clocked 110000 Km, the desire to try and experience something new was creeping in ( and not to mention the pressure at home to get rid of an ageing car) .

I'm still satisfied with my Swift : pickup, mileage and body all in great shape; but surely the service cost due to additional wear and tear is noticeable. The one thing that was always insufficient with the Swift was boot space; especially with full family of 4 and luggage for 3-4 days was a struggle to pack in. But for that, I might have just bought a Swift again

My initial shortlist for the replacement looked like this, but I couldn't make up what segment/type I needed to be looking at, so I was researching everything. Cars in each segment listed in my order of preference ( first = most preferred )

Hatchbacks ( This segment was honestly a no-starter, as I needed 'enough' boot space )

1.Baleno - Smoking hot looks, higher comfort levels with Maruti due to my Swift.

2.Punto - Solid build, stylish designing.

Sedans

1. Linea : Build and styling, big(really big) boot space are the positives. Much higher GC than it's other Sedan counterparts. Larger turning radius and a not so responsive engine in city traffic were a turn off. I didn't test drive other Sedans below though, so can't really compare. The sad thing is very few people encouraged me into going for this when I said I might be considering this car. Somehow it needs to shake off the negative perceptions ( so many people would like to own a Fiat but when a chance arises not all of them go for a Fiat :( ) . I wasn't confident of making this choice despite liking it a lot, due to lack of encouragement.

2. Verna : Between Verna and City, the Verna was a clear winner for me because of the 1.6 CRDi. GC was an issue. If I wanted a Diesel Sedan, this would be it.

3. City : If I decided on the Sedan segment, this was the safest bet I had. Many of my friends have the City and it's a favourite among all of us - super-tooling being the icing on the cake. If I wanted a Petrol Sedan, this would be it.

Utility : Didn't pursue this much due to me not needing 7 seats really. I prefer more power than real-estate
1. Mobilio
2. Ertiga

Crossovers-compact SUVs-SUVs

1. Duster AWD : Test drove multiple times. Was my strong choice right from the beginning. Amazing handling on bad roads ( and I was allowed to take the vehicle on a roadless stretch, dried up big slush marks etc ), reassuring control on high speed corners, excellent braking all were highlights. I still feel this was the best of all that I test drove, purely from a control/stability standpoint. Downside was the fiddly/short gears ( esp 1 and 2, I always ended up on the third gear in city traffic very quickly), could-be-better interiors and plastics although they weren't deal-breakers. The AWD was a compelling reason to stick to this, but better sense prevailed

a) That I don't need an AWD, after say 3 years, this would be the feature that I would have used the least

b) For adventure trips, nobody would throw around a 16Lac vehicle for offroading. So a true offroader might prefer something less expensive and a true offroader without having to worry about the consequence/cost of repair.

2. Creta : This was really a last minute choice based on recommendations from close friends. Test drove and fell instantly in love with the vehicle, especially for city driving. A much lighter steering and clutch ( yes, debatable if they are a boon or bane ), loaded features, especially on the safety side, nicer ergonomics and tooling, awesome looks were the most prominent positives. The pricing was certainly disappointing ( more so for the middle SX, SX+ variants which are missing a lot of features ). The GC was not as good as the Duster's but still decent at 190 on the SX(O) variant with 17" ers )

3. SCross 1.6 : Also among my initial choices. But a test drive of the 1.6 didn't quite convince me that I would enjoy it in the city traffic ( mainly the lag ). On empty stretches the power was explosive and the adrenaline rush as it taxied off post the lag was an experience to remember. It was the most comfortable for the backseaters of all the vehicles I testdrove. Lot of legroom. The Driver side pillar was annoyance as it reduced visibility at intersections.

4) Terrano : Super looks, amazing road presence, a head-turner ( especially the red one, if anyone owns a red terrano, here I'm doffing my hat ). But I was told that Terrano still ran on older Renault engines and there were enough concerns on Servicing as I spoke to people.

Now after all this, and a lot of deliberation, Creta was a compelling option. I probably enjoyed the Creta test drive the most and really felt a car that I would enjoy driving the most. It looked equally capable in the city and the highways. The price and the supposed vibrations at highspeeds ( based on other people's feedback only, I have not driven at that speed ) notwithstanding, cool features, acceptable fuel efficiency ( ARAI of 19+ and by others' experience of getting upto 20 KMPL ) clinched the deal. Now in terms of variants, if you don't want to stretch budget SX was decent ( no alloys, no AVN etc ). Given the car's body, rear visibility is less, so AVN was a must for me. So it was SX+. But then, it still lacked so many useful features of the SX(o). Given that I was going to have some of those installed on SX+, the cost was coming to a point where I thought SX(O) was worth it. So the final choice was the SX(O).

Now at that price point, another vehicle not in the fray until that point, appeared as an option. XUV W8! I was getting it at the same price post discounts as the Creta SX(o). Extra real-estate and seats and more ruggedness made it a compelling option. OK, so I went for a test drive ( even after the booking of the Creta ). Test drive was a good experience. Interiors felt really good ( I TD'ed a W10 though ), the car raced like a hare on the open roads and solid stability. My heart was telling me to cancel the booking of the Creta and go for this, but some factors ( call them opinion or thoughts ) finally held me back from doing so.

1) The Creta felt a more Unisex ( if I'm allowed to use the term ) car : the wife felt the XUV was harder to drive ( heavier clutch etc )

2) Smaller turning radius of the Creta, making it more suitable for the city

3) Increased body-roll for backseaters in XUV. Often, in our quest to buy the coolest cars, we neglect the opinions of people that travel along with us in the car.

4) I didn't really need 7 seats; but atleast it would ensure comfortable seeting for 5. But then again, I didn't even need a 5'er ( 4 adults, non of passengers really hefty and a kid is what goes in my car ). So there wasn't a reason to lug the bigger engine and a bulkier body at the cost of reduced FE and reduced city convenience.

Someday, I'll get a Mahindra. May be a Thar, but I don't know. For now, I'll enjoy the Creta, fits my needs well.

And oh, I'm not selling my Swift either, so the family is in for some disappointment.

Thanks everyone for the inputs on the forum and off it.
airguitar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:10   #743
Senior - BHPian

Im buying a Creta SX plus AT and i plan to upsize the stock tires from 205/65/r16 to 215/65/r16. Is this the correct upsize and can i upsize further in 16 inches without making

Also, how are Ceat Czar tires?
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:21   #744
BHPian

What would be the correct way to check if the engine on the car is a 1.4 CRDi or a 1.6 CRDi ? Possible to check by looking under the hood ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Glad to hear that. When are you getting the Creta delivered. Post some pics.
Sir, sure, as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

Price revision is there. Is that a 2015 chassis or 2016 ? If 2015, you should be able to insist on the old price.
Old 4th February 2016, 13:12   #745

Hello all,

I am more of a dormant member in here with respect to posts. This is more or less a naïve post (not very technical/ enthusiast sorts). It is going to be a bit too long as well. So, reader discretion advised and kindly bear with me. Here goes my story.

Hyundai Santro XL: First car, brought second hand (make 2007, bought in 2012), Sold 2014
Hyundai Elite i20: First new car, (make Oct 2014, 14,000kms), Lost in Dec 2015 Chennai floods

I would never have thought of changing my car had it not been for the dreaded floods. Now, after the total loss claim settlement, I am currently in the market for a new car.

Honestly, in my mind I am not sure if this is an opportunity to upgrade the car (Sedan, compact SUV’s)m or be more practical and look at something more from a utility point of view (Kwid, Celerio etc) and a bonus two wheeler (Honda CBR 250/300 or Enfield top ones) for ease of office commute. Heart says the former whereas my MBA background and cash flow projections for the next few years suggest the latter.

Anyways, now decided to take the plunge. Purchase decision markers are as below:
  • I need the car/vehicle in the next 2 months and not in a position to wait for long
  • A budget of 9-12 lacs for a compact SUV is ideal
  • I am not a big fan of Sedans. But can look at something which is really compelling
  • 5 seater is enough. Driving is mostly city with occasional highways (once in 2 months)
  • Daily commute of 30 kms (up and down) suggesting Petrol to be the one
  • Features and looks are of significant importance/ Color options too

1. i20 active
Having had a regular i20 sportz petrol, an active does not appeal to me much. However, I feel it is good value for money for the looks.

Verdict: Ruled out

2. MSIL- Nexa- Baleno
Loved the vehicle. In the same league of my i20. Top end diesel is also highly compelling given the list of features and space it has. The red color with the chrome garnishes was looking fantabulous. Loved its flowing lines and list of features. Did not test drive, because:

• Waiting period told by Nexa was 18 weeks. Can’t wait that long!
• No rear a/c vents. It is not that there is always people behind me in the car. But my i20 really gave me a high benchmark and don’t really wanna compromise on this
• If not for the waiting period, I would have certainly looked at Baleno seriously (as it was a compromise of sorts between my heart and common sense dilemma).

3. Ford Ecosport
Although I like this machine for the looks, it always looked to me as a small car on a rectangular frame lifted up. The inside bench seats also quite spoilt the expectations which I had. I am big fan of the rear spare-wheel though. Wonder why no other compact or so called “SUV’s” doesn’t give that option. Adding to it, the model is quite old by now and no facelifts seen in the immediate horizon.

4. Renault Duster

Did not take TD of this. Just seen it on the roads and word of mouth feedback from existing customers. However, looks too old for the year we are in. I would have waited for the facelift. But that looks quite far away and the sort of expected incremental additions looks quite minimal. Did someone say “dead on arrival”?

5. Nissan Terrano
This is one machine which I am gonna miss the most. I loved it totally over the Duster. The premium edition was highly compelling. And the color themes! Quite the kind which I am looking for. However, having gone through the pain of getting my flooded car in to a garage. Getting repair estimates, service feedback etc., I have started to appreciate the real need for quality and reliable service in the country where we live.

Well, that makes the solution simpler now. It has to be the top 3 auto makers only. Maruti, Hyundai or Mahindra/Ford/Tata. I have not experienced the Nissan service myself, but from whatever I hear and read, it feels bit too risky. Also, the feedback which I have is that the service costs will cost a fortune. Other cons were that, the interiors and the list of bells and whistles pales in comparison to the other cars or (Creta) in this range.

Verdict: Ruled out. But you will be missed!

6. MSIL Nexa S-Cross
Was thrilled to hear about the price decrease so that I can look at 320 models. Quite a thoughtful thing to do by MSIL. Went to a Nexa and took a TD of 200 Alpha (they didn’t have a 320 TD vehicle)

Overall, it was a decent experience. Nothing much to complain. Good enough for my city drives and kinda satisfies most of my expectations. Just to add, there was quite a noticeable turbo lag below 1800 rpm. However., after that, it was quite a surge of power and kinda loved the small test drive which it was.

Listing the cons as below:
• No rear a/c vents.
• Bland looks. I think for a premium positioning, looks too should matter
• Interiors, it almost felt similar to an i20 (as per wifey).
• They call it a cross over, so I am not surprised. IMHO, S-Cross should compare itself against the i20 elite and not against Creta.
• No chrome handles in top end.
• For the 220 models, no leather seats (they can easily include it for the price)

Verdict: Hold/ Ruled out

7. MSIL Vitara Brezza
Friends suggested to wait for Maruti Vitara Brezza. Well, with all due respect, it is not fair to compare these two. Vitara global looks sleak and sturdy. I wonder why Maruti called this one a Vitara (just for the rear headlamps?). The apt name should have been just Brezza!!
Yesterdays, at the autoexpo unveiling, MSIL revealed quite a lot to me and kinda convinced me that Brezza is not what I want. For me, following were the deal breakers
• First of all, timing, it remains unclear when bookings will happen and deliveries
• It looks like a combination of Kwid and KUV in the front. Rear looks bland
• Interior looks okayish (except for the mood lights)
• Compromised on weight. I despise this aspect of MSIL cars for their slender panels and crash test failures (I still recall the i20 thud’s on closure of doors)
A SUV (or compact SUV) or Cross-Over, IMHO has to be slightly sturdy and heavy!

Yes, it is a mass car. It will sell. It will reap MSIL’s huge profits. However, it fails to impress. I would prefer the S-Cross for its fake premium positioning

Verdict: Ruled out.

8. Mahindra XUV- Facelift
Nothing to complain. I simply can’t purchase it (price). Thank you!

Verdict: Ruled out.

9. Hyundai Creta
Though I was not in the market when this vehicle was launched, I have looked up to this one with awe and admiration. But the pricing kinda made me feel revengeful for the huge profit thirst of the Koreans. Those buggers are minting money on this!

Initial impressions suggested that it is just a car on stilts. However, on close looks and after some spec comparison and feature comparison, I am now quite convinced that this what I want (except the price).

Let’s talk about the Cons first.
• Absolutely ridiculous pricing
• No leather seats even for Sx+ (petrol top end)- I am more inclined towards this variant. They might be giving it in Sx+ (0), but that’s way too pricey
• Waiting period of a 1 month (not bad)
• After 8 months of launch, the prices have already gone up (quite ironic because novelty has died down (or has it yet?). Many Creta’s already on the road
• No 4WD. I don’t off-road but calling itself an SUV (should be future ready, no?)
• Have driven only petrols till now. But I can’t even look at their Diesel options

Pros:
• Killer looks (personal opinion) and endless list of features
• Future ready to a certain extent.
• Unisex appeal. I assume my wife will also find it comfortable in due course of time (thanks Airguitar for your thoughts on this)
• Good for urban commutes. Lower turning radius
• Spec wise tops in comparison against the Terrano/Duster/ Eco/ Brezza

I might sound biased when I say this. But this car looks more like a premium urban positioning to me. I feel you will have to give it to the Koreans for constantly distinguishing itself from the competition by giving premium products and mass products through the same distribution channel. Their strategy is quite interesting as against MSIL’s large volume/ mass strategy.

Now, this is where I am. It is going to be Creta Petrol 1.6 SX+ in all probability. It’s going to be bit of a ‘leap of faith’ for me (as it is an additional 2 lacs from my budget). Hence, I thought I will share this story here. If someone had the patience to read through this, would be nice to hear your thoughts!

Cheers & God bless!

P.S:
After finishing, when I read this myself, it felt to me that I was a bit harsh on MSIL. Hence, though will clarify that I have nothing against them. The first car I have driven was an Alto. My dad and relatives are big fans of the Japanese giant. Today, if every 1 out of 2 cars sold in the country are from MSIL, who am I to criticize them! Of course, they know their game and know their market!

Further, it is also only purely coincidental that my previous two cars are from the Korean stable. I would certainly be keen to try out other manufacturer’s, but still waiting for a big ‘reason’!

Last edited by Zappo : 4th February 2016 at 18:29. Reason: Please read our smiley rules immediately before your next post. You can't use more than 2 smileys in a post. We removed 8+!
THREEK85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 12:26   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREEK85 View Post
Hello all,

Now, this is where I am. It is going to be Creta Petrol 1.6 SX+ in all probability. It’s going to be bit of a ‘leap of faith’ for me (as it is an additional 2 lacs from my budget). Hence, I thought I will share this story here. If someone had the patience to read through this, would be nice to hear your thoughts!
I always say choices are personal, so it is left to you to make the choice based on your liking and needs.
But just in case you go in for a 1.6 VTVT SX+, having owned one for the last five months and approx 4500 kms under the belt and mark you around 1000 kms over graveled road, i can only say that you will not at all be disappointed.
Your daily ride should bring a smile on your face the moment you sit in the driver seat and start it in the morning, which my Nanook does. I am enjoying every bit of my time inside the cabin and this is one hell of a ride. The build quality is great and drive is very comfortable. Of course it has cons but then you have to take a call which are your priority ticks.
Also you would have noted in this thread, hardly any niggles till now (touch wood) have been reported by the members.
Keep us updated on your final verdict.

Last edited by nkghai : 5th February 2016 at 12:40.
nkghai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 22:23   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I always say choices are personal, so it is left to you to make the choice based on your liking and needs.
Your daily ride should bring a smile on your face the moment you sit in the driver seat and start it in the morning, which my Nanook does.
Keep us updated on your final verdict.
Well said Sir. I am kinda clear on my mind on what I want. Shall keep you all posted. Hopefully soon!
THREEK85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 09:39   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREEK85 View Post
Hello all,

9. Hyundai Creta

Let’s talk about the Cons first.
• Absolutely ridiculous pricing
• No leather seats even for Sx+ (petrol top end)- I am more inclined towards this variant. They might be giving it in Sx+ (0), but that’s way too pricey
• Waiting period of a 1 month (not bad)
Hi Threek85,

Waiting period of just 1 month for Petrol top-end in Chennai ? Here in Bengaluru, I'm being quoted 4-5 months

Happy for you man Hope, they keep their word if you indeed go for Creta.

- Prasanna.
Old 8th February 2016, 10:36   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Hi Threek85,

Waiting period of just 1 month for Petrol top-end in Chennai ? Here in Bengaluru, I'm being quoted 4-5 months

Happy for you man Hope, they keep their word if you indeed go for Creta.

- Prasanna.
I visited Kothari Hyundai to td the I20 elite to replace my current car. I casually asked the sales guy about the waiting period for Creta and was shocked by his reply.
For petrol it's 1 Year.
For Diesel- 6 months.
I didn't quiz him further i was not interested .Dear Hyundai, if this is true, we no longer belong to the era of Ambys and Padminis.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 8th February 2016 at 10:38.
Old 8th February 2016, 11:51   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I visited Kothari Hyundai to td the I20 elite to replace my current car. I casually asked the sales guy about the waiting period for Creta and was shocked by his reply.
For petrol it's 1 Year.
For Diesel- 6 months.
I didn't quiz him further i was not interested .Dear Hyundai, if this is true, we no longer belong to the era of Ambys and Padminis.
First Maruti made sure that Creta to be a runway success with its insane intro price of S-Cross (mainly 1.6). Now Hyundai retaliating by their rude approach towards Indian customers and will make sure that Duster face lift and Vitara Brezza to be the next success story. See the sales numbers of Verna these days, which was segment leader two years back!
Good that as a customer we have many choices around.

Most Viewed