Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 11:17   #826

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

A big hello to all members of Team-BHP & Creta owners.

It's my first post. I have been following the Creta since getting to drive my colleagues 2.0 Petrol 4WD in 2014 at China.
Hoped to get the 4WD with a diesel in India, but no couldnt wait. Got my Creta SX(O) in October and its about 12k kilometers of hassle free ownership.
Would have been 20k if not for 2 months travel for work.

My only grouse being the omission of the rear disc brakes, that was there on my i20 ASTA CRDi.

I faced the "thak" steering noise 15 days into ownership along with the plastic part rattling noise from the rear.
I have been getting all my Hyundai's serviced from the days of the Getz & i20 to the Creta at M/s.Advaith Hyundai, Banashankari.
My rating have always been a 10, for the way these guys handled all my cars since 2007.

I mentioned both the problems to the adviser & he mentioned the email for the "thak"' noise from Hyundai.
Hyundai called it the Steering column "thak/tuk" noise. Incomplete/wrong assembly of the steering column assembly from the supplier end.
The technician just opened the steering column adjustment lock & loosened the bolts of the universal joints on both sides.
(See Mr.NK Ghai's picture of the adjustment assembly)
Then just pushed the knuckle joints firmly into the knurled part of the steering column shafts & tightened the bolts. (Sorry no pictures though)
Problem: The universal joints were mounted partly onto the knurled area, hence was slipping when turned fully to extreme ends.
Access under the steering was a problem and therefore this was done with some difficulty.
The technician didn't want to open up the steering column unnecessarily, as they say - factory fit is the best fit.

The plastic rattling noise was solved by tightening the rear bumper bolts by 1 turn until it locked.
There are 2 bolts, 1 on either side of the spare wheel well, easily accessible when on a lift.

Will add pictures when i get them from the technicians on this issue next time i visit them.

Rs.2273 for the second service on Creta v/s Rs.5140 for the i20 CRDi....Low cost of ownership indeed.
poonacha_ma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 11:21   #827
BHPian

I have a couple of queries.
1. What is the exact fuel capacity?. I have filled twice so far ( at a shell outlet). Both the times, the auto cut stopped at 48/49. I fail to understand it since the capacity is 55 liters.
2. To all who own a petrol creta: Can you please let me know the average mileage in city traffic?. (with ac on). Also, is it that the mileage will be low in the initial days? ( say < 500 km)
Old 24th March 2016, 20:17   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
What is the exact fuel capacity?. I have filled twice so far ( at a shell outlet). Both the times, the auto cut stopped at 48/49. I fail to understand it since the capacity is 55 liters.
The tank capacity as per Hyundai's specification sheet is 55L.

Your first query about filling fuel is explainable by the fact that there would be considerable amount of gasoline left as reserve (4-5L) in your tank even when the fuel gauge points to "Empty".

Also, depending on the sensitivity of auto cut-off, some pumps may not be able to fill up the tank completely.
Old 25th March 2016, 07:59   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the Labour charges for various jobs for the Creta, and other cars.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160324_102914.jpg

Got the 10k service done. More details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3939045
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 12:21   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's the Labour charges for various jobs for the Creta, and other cars.
Will like to further add that Hyundai has different charges category-wise for group of cities. The labour charges for all their cars, as of date, based on grouping of cities are as given below.

Group 1 Cities: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Noida, Sahibabad, Thane.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-group1.jpg

Group 2 Cities : Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mohali, Panchkula, Pune, Secunderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Surat,Howrah.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-group2.jpg

Group 3 Cities : Agra, Amritsar, Barasat, Bhiwadi, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Coimbatore, Cuttack, Dehradun, Ghandinagar, Goa, Guwahati, Hapur,Jallandhar, Kottayam, Madurai, Mangalore, Nagpur, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi, Rohtak, Sonepat,Thiruvallur, Trivandrum,Vishakhapatnam, Meerut, Bhilai, Hosur, Jammu, Jamshedpur, Kanpur, Mysore, Palwal, Rajkot, Rewari, Srinagar, Vadodara, Vijayawada.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-group3.jpg

Group 4 Cities : Other than Group 1, Group 2 & Group 3 cities.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-group4.jpg

Point to note is that they have kept the Creta Labour Charges same as Verna.

Last edited by nkghai : 25th March 2016 at 12:36.
nkghai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:21   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I have a couple of queries.
1. What is the exact fuel capacity?. I have filled twice so far ( at a shell outlet). Both the times, the auto cut stopped at 48/49. I fail to understand it since the capacity is 55 liters.
2. To all who own a petrol creta: Can you please let me know the average mileage in city traffic?. (with ac on). Also, is it that the mileage will be low in the initial days? ( say < 500 km)
Regarding your second point, I get an avg of 10-11 kmpl with full time A/C in a mix of city and short highway stints. Odo reads350 kms till now. I've been wondering about the initial mileage myself and my other petrol car owning friends and Hyundai SA has assured me that it is quite normal and better FE will follow after 2500 kms. I'm planning to change my oil at 1st service. Hope that helps..
vishu2xll is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 17:18   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I am inclined to call it an ordeal but would still classify the happenings shared below as a learning experience.

I have a vehicle steering to right, so have to keep a firm hand on the steering even while going straight. Need another trip of 220 kms to get it rectified. If done correctly again not more than half an hour job. The lady may not accompany me since the last 30 mins job lasted almost 6 hrs, though knowing my passion she was very supportive.

Will keep you updated.
Update.

Well as quoted in my earlier post the big negative of repair work to eliminate the thak sound was that I had a steering wheel which was not properly aligned and a vehicle with a tendency to go right. I was kicking myself for not testing before taking over the vehicle.

So decided to put in a complaint to Hyundai about quality of service. Wrote a complaint on 22nd Mar and got an sms back on 23rd with the complaint id. 24th was Holi and today i.e. 25th Mar at 1030 hrs , I get a call from the service station supervisor enquiring about the issue. Explained both the things and shared my anguish on having to come 120 kms one way for this fault which they should have checked .

He assured he will get it rectified. Well I thought some action at least was on the way and was hopeful of a remedy. At 1445 hrs, I get a call that the repair person has reached close to my location and enquired as what was the exact spot where to be reached. Am pleasantly surprised by their quick action.

Repair person comes at 1515 hrs. One minute into the drive and the repair person, who is the same one who had worked on Sunday understood my contention and agreed to it. I had asked him to get his Tab for sensor software alignment and he immediately got onto the job. Image of Nanook being attended to again for steering.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160325_162108652_hdr.jpg

By 1700 hrs he is finished. Now, the steering is straight. I test drove a lot. The right steer which was prominent is gone. Feel it going to left a tiny winy bit, but very minutely. As per mechanic this could be even due to difference in tyre pressure. To be sure, I asked him to do a system check again with software and the photo of the software report on his tab is as shown below. It shows all OK.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160325_165949715_hdr.jpg

Will wait and see. The mechanic is 100% convinced, I am 95 % convinced.
nkghai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:06   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Explained both the things and shared my anguish on having to come 120 kms one way for this fault which they should have checked.
A round trip of 240 kms if the car needs servicing or repairs? That is scary for me, I guess I've gotten used to having things easier.. what with having access to 2 authorised service stations within a radius of under 2km and 2 more within 7-8km.

Coming to the issue at hand, I feel the Steering Angle Sensor is a useless feature for cars and bring with it dangerous and irritating niggles. I hate software of any kind in a vehicle unless its the rudimentary ones like in a basic car stereo which need no updating, resetting or checking and do not interfere with driving functions. With the Creta & latest i20 I heard that they have the calibrate the SAS as well to align with the already aligned wheels (0.0 degrees when steering wheel is dead centre as shown in the photo above in the tab screen). A simple reset which they might've forgotten about the first time and then travelled 250 kms to do so. Makes me love purely mechanical cars all the more.

Hyundai should equip its personnel with more expertise in the repair department if it continues to dole out cars with complicated software overrides I guess. They make good cars but seem to be losing focus in India of late as compared to their rapid growth in American & European markets with best-on-earth warranty terms.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 08:44   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A round trip of 240 kms if the car needs servicing or repairs? That is scary for me.

Hyundai should equip its personnel with more expertise in the repair department if it continues to dole out cars with complicated software overrides I guess. They make good cars but seem to be losing focus in India of late as compared to their rapid growth in American & European markets with best-on-earth warranty terms.
Being located at a remote place, one has to compromise on certain things. No issue and i go that far once in a month as it is for marketing and movies.

Coming to your point about software, i partially agree because some software like that in MID display, vehicle check and health monitoring software to some level, are indeed useful.

I completely agree to your issue of more expertise in repair. I interacted with the shop floor supervisor and thought he must be at least a diploma holder, but i was pleasantly surprised he was 12th pass with 10 yrs experience. He may be good in his work, but then a basic technical knowledge is required to understand the new age systems. Also during sensor alignment, i told them that for the steering and the wheels to be properly aligned you have to do both alignment simultaneously for it to be perfect. Ideally i would have got done both together on a perfect flat ground with similar tyre pressure, but again reply was "Sir not needed, woh adha sut ka farak to rahta hai". That IMO is not acceptable. We make better and complicated cars but are unable provide the requisite qualified and trained persons for repairs, which is a big downside.

A positive in the entire episode was Hyundai response which was extremely good. To my surprise, the repair person was even given a show cause notice questioning the quality of repair and told to be careful in future. I do sincerely hope the company equips and trains them to carry out quality repair.

Last edited by nkghai : 26th March 2016 at 08:48.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 13:28   #835
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

⎫ Got my Creta SX+ AT delivered this week.
⎫ Thanks to fellow BHPians who helped me make the decision. I was contemplating between a preowned B class/1 series and the Creta, and I m happy with my pick.
⎫ Dealership experience (V3 Hyundai, Chennai) was pathetic. The proficiency and attitude of the dealership folks was terrible with no focus on customer service whatsoever. Lack of accountability and internal training was apparent. The vehicle was not clean at the time of delivery, but was covered with their glossy cloth ready to be delivered. I guess this is a cheap strategy adopted these days to force a customer to go in for add on polishing, coating services at the dealership. They refused to permit by party insurance and were charging INR 18000/- more as premium for the same policy. After taking up the issue with Hyundai, they brought the premium down by INR 10000/-. I still ended up paying INR 8000/-. Hyundai could not help resolve the issue on time. This has become a practice with some dealerships especially with the sale of cars that are in demand in the market. I intend taking up my case with HMIL again for the benefit of customers.

(Critical) Initial impressions:
⎫ HVH Levels: I found the NVH levels to be on the higher side especially during initial off the block acceleration and wondered why Hyundai chose to avoid engine insulation sheet, which could have been effective.
⎫ Built Quality: Plastics are hard and could have been better. The doors felt light compared to my previous car Ecosport, but I understand it may be to make the car lighter. In fact, our Q3’s doors feel the same way. The doors of the Ecosport, Punto were a different league - good or bad for performance. The accelerator and brake pedals feel fragile and should have been better.
⎫ Driving: I was initially disappointed with the torque converter gearbox’ performance at lower rpms coupled with high NVH levels. Surprisingly, I am liking it better as I drive more and realizing that I may have been too hard on judging the Creta comparing it to my Q3. They are different cars in different segments and that should be taken into account. But I must say I have begun to respect the Q3 more now! But Creta seems to have its own charm too and with a slightly heavier foot initially, it somehow feels like a go kart to me with the engine noise and AT gear shifts, and I like that!
⎫ Features: As many know by now, Creta AT variant misses out on many features. Hyundai should have at least offered rear disc brakes on the SX+ variant and steering with leather like in the SX (O) variant. Glad they have retained Navigation, rear camera which works very well.
⎫ Ride Quality: Based on my limited exposure, the car feels planted and the ride quality is great on paved roads. Low speed ride quality on broken stretches and gravel roads are satisfactory. The set up felt slightly hard over broken tarmac at moderate cruising speeds which is not a bad thing. I don’t intend on doing tyre upgrades.

On the whole, I m happy with the Creta AT and I m looking forward to a delightful ownership experience. The car may seem over priced, cost cutting may be apparent, but until a strong competitor (especially with diesel AT, not AMT) arrives in this segment, I feel the Creta is bound to do very well!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screen-shot-20160326-1.18.52-pm.png  

Attached Images

bharath14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 21:54   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath14 View Post
Hello BHPians,

⎫ Got my Creta SX+ AT delivered this week.

⎫ Dealership experience (V3 Hyundai, Chennai) was pathetic. The proficiency and attitude of the dealership folks was terrible with no focus on customer service whatsoever. Lack of accountability and internal training was apparent. The vehicle was not clean at the time of delivery, but was covered with their glossy cloth ready to be delivered. I guess this is a cheap strategy adopted these days to force a customer to go in for add on polishing, coating services at the dealership. They refused to permit by party insurance and were charging INR 18000/- more as premium for the same policy. After taking up the issue with Hyundai, they brought the premium down by INR 10000/-. I still ended up paying INR 8000/-. Hyundai could not help resolve the issue on time. This has become a practice with some dealerships especially with the sale of cars that are in demand in the market. I intend taking up my case with HMIL again for the benefit of customers.
Congratulations on your ride.

I just booked my Creta A/T with V3 Hyundai and they are also forcing me to take Insurance from them as well as the Finance through them. Delivery promised is during the end of April.

Can I know what is the final Insurance amount you paid?

Did you get any discounts or freebies? Anything else I should be vary about?

TIA
M
Old 26th March 2016, 22:39   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Congratulations on your ride.

I just booked my Creta A/T with V3 Hyundai and they are also forcing me to take Insurance from them as well as the Finance through them. Delivery promised is during the end of April.

Can I know what is the final Insurance amount you paid?

Did you get any discounts or freebies? Anything else I should be vary about?

TIA
M
All Hyundai & most other brand dealerships in the city are doing this fraudulent practice, especially for cars with waiting period. Many buyers are ignorant of these practices and hence these people end up making big money on insurance comission alone.

Hyundai have clarified to me that there is no such company policy and the dealership cannot insist on availing insurance through them. Unfortunately inspite of this, the dealership refused to let me take by party insurance and were unable to match the quote of INR 46269/- that was given to me directly by ICICI lombard for bumper to bumper zero depreciation add on policy. The dealership must have quoted INR 63k odd to you for the same. They reduced it by approx INR 10K for me after my complaint with Hyundai. Premium was close to INR 54K.

No cash discounts. I got mud flaps and OEM carpet mats, which I won't term "free". They must have made close to INR 8-9k minimum on my car insurance, not to mention the 18k them normally make with most customers.

Make sure they have generated a billing order for you with Hyundai and make sure they don't pass on you allocation to another customer. These people are capable of anything. Also they have a 2015 Dec manufactured star dust Creta AT in their yard for which they were offering minor discounts. I had that negotiated to 16.5 on road (with their insurance quote non-negotiated) pre-budget when price was 16.88 L. I eventually decided against it and chose to go for a 2016 version. Of course prices changed after that. This is FYI to exercise caution incase you opted for stardust. But they normally have to declare manufacturing year and this shouldn't be a problem.

I visited their yard once my car was allotted and you could do the same to check the car before it goes to the RTO.

Cheers
Old 30th March 2016, 21:13   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath14 View Post
All Hyundai & most other brand dealerships in the city are doing this fraudulent practice, especially for cars with waiting period. Many buyers are ignorant of these practices and hence these people end up making big money on insurance comission alone.
Dear Bharath, thanks very much for the heads-up will try my best to get my own Insurance. Will also ask for the Delivery Order from them.

Guys does anyone have any pull at Hyundai where I can take up this issue and get my own Insurance.
TIA
M
Old 30th March 2016, 21:16   #839
BNM
BHPian

Engine Oil Change ?
My Creta A/T is nearing the 7000 Kms mark - bulk of it driven within the city at an average of around 25 KMPH. I went through the forum and saw most people recommending an oil change at intervals of 10K.

Since it is an A/T, does it require an special consideration ? Please suggest.
P.S: My earlier Verna with the same engine specs got oil changed every 10K.
Old 30th March 2016, 21:27   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post

Guys does anyone have any pull at Hyundai where I can take up this issue and get my own Insurance.
TIA
M
For starters, you may file a complaint with Hyundai and get a ref number. They would in turn touch base with the dealership who in turn will follow up with you. But make sure the dealership doesn't delay your allotment citing this.

Hyundai Customer Care: 9873564645

Good luck!

Most Viewed