Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 13:35   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

The Creta diesel Automatic has now been launched in the S+ variant at Rs. 13.56L!

The Creta S+ gets power from a 1.6L 4 cylinder U2 VGT CRDi DOHC diesel engine, that produces 126bhp at 4000 rpm and 256Nm of torque at 1900 rpm.

Power is sent to the front wheels via a six-speed Automatic transmission.

As compared to the SX model this car misses out on goodies like the Touchscreen AVN and Leather seats.

Source: Fabnewz
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 13:52   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The Creta diesel Automatic has now been launched in the S+ variant at Rs. 13.56L!

The Creta S+ gets power from a 1.6L 4 cylinder U2 VGT CRDi DOHC diesel engine, that produces 126bhp at 4000 rpm and 256Nm of torque at 1900 rpm.

Power is sent to the front wheels via a six-speed Automatic transmission.

As compared to the SX model this car misses out on goodies like the Touchscreen AVN and Leather seats.

Source: Fabnewz
Has an SX(O) petrol been launched? Or is it in the pipeline?

Any idea forum members.

Thanks.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:13   #1143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Has an SX(O) petrol been launched? Or is it in the pipeline?
Nope and nope.

You have to make do with the SX+ AT only, until they start working on the facelift in about a years' time.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 14:35   #1144
BHPian

Took delivery of Creta SX+ AT (CRDI) on Monday. Now that Memento moment has been shared, here's a recap of how it happened. Some of the inputs below may be well known in team bhp circles, but putting them in there from a new owner's perspective.

Booking / Delivery:

No booking per se. Talked to the dealer a week prior to delivery, took a test drive of diesel SX(O) manual - liked the eagerness of the engine. It's a shame SX(O) features cannot be had with an auto box so had to settle for SX+. Before the Creta purchase, my garage comprised of Honda City 1.5 Vtec (2008), so wanted an AT in the next car as 90%+ of my commute is in the city and it helps immensely with the stop and go traffic.

Before narrowing down on Creta, I had test driven Innova Crysta, XUV 500 and Brezza. I know the choices are all over the place but wanted to make sure the decision was an informed one - not sure I succeeded but having drunk water from many pitchers before buying one helps me sleep better :-)

Brezza (or Maruti in general) was largely discounted because of unimpressive quality bits in the vehicle, an uninspiring engine, and the absence of an auto box.

Liked the Innova Crysta a lot, but it's priced in the SUV territory for a MPV. Given that my commute is largely in the city, FE of 8-9 kmpl with the 2.8 liter engine variant would not have made much sense and I don't strictly have a requirement to lug 6 people around.

XUV 500 was a let down. Engine refinement is absent in the AT version. The engine sounded like it struggled a lot before upshifts. The overall interior quality was also not in the leagues of Hyundai / Toyota. XUV does not give the rider a premium experience though it's loaded with features in the top spec variant.

Considered Duster and Ecosport in thoughts only. Apart from Duster being distributed by a single dealership in my city (strongly believe in buying merchandise if there are at least two vendors to service the product), the distasteful interiors of the refreshed version doused any hopes for its consideration. Ecosport has an impending refresh, so that contributed to its elimination.

This brings us to Creta. In short, Creta is a horse that doesn't have too much against it. It easily fits as a safe choice. A refined (and powerful) diesel engine, well appointed interiors (at least in the driver's zone), a decent AT system (no DSG mumbo jumbo), good boot space and 3 years unlimited kms factory warranty.

Circling back to the delivery experience. A day before delivery, went to the stockyard to see the available cars. There were two Whites in diesel AT. One had 49 kms on the odo and Dunlop tires and the other had 9 kms on the odo and Bridgestone tires. Picked the latter. Inspected Form 22, took pictures of VIN (decoded month and year of manufacture), Chassis and Engine numbers and asked the sales person to block the car. Back at the dealership, gave them INR 5,000 as token amount and got information on insurance plans, loan paperwork requirements etc. Tried very hard to knock something off from sticker price or get some free accessories but they didn't budge. All I got was car mats and mud guards, which I am told are given to all customers. Before leaving, the sales person handed over the receipt for INR 5,000. Surprisingly, the receipt listed the vehicle as i20 instead of Creta. The sales person said they need at least INR 10K for Creta receipts. I handed him another INR 5,000 and requested that he should have brought the minimum deposit requirement to my attention instead of deciding to issue an i20 receipt of his own volition. Got the receipt issue sorted and left the dealership.

Next day, got the finance formalities completed and the vehicle was washed and ushered into the delivery area by 1pm. Conducted a PDI to the best of my ability. It looked fine. The car dealer's company name sticker had an E pasted backwards, brought this to their attention multiple times but they failed to fix it. I lost track of it in the midst of paperwork etc. as well. Tells me a lot about their attention to detail and customer focus - they probably won't be my choice to get the vehicle serviced. I have 5-6 Hyundai dealers to choose from in my region, so that's a good thing. They laid out the cake and other goodies for the ceremony. My family flanked me for the photo shoot. Point-and-shoots and cell phone cameras were out, and I was ready to be blinded by the flashes. Wait, did I talk about car insurance? Oh...let's take a step back.

On my way to the dealership on the day of delivery, the sales person called me and inquired how I'd like to pay for the insurance (cash / cheque). We had discussed online / offline options the day before and I had apprised him that I'd let him know what I decide. I informed him that I have already talked to the fellow who's been insuring my Honda over the years and I'm going with him. What? How? When? Apparently, that was not an option on dealer's table. I HAD to buy insurance through them. News for me but matter-of-fact for them. Apparently, Creta being a hot cake (his words) it is, Hyundai wants to sell car insurance through their network. I refused. Called the Hyundai 1-800 helpline and they conferenced me in with the dealer to sort it out. Dumb. I have already spoken with the dealer. Why do I need a helpline if I still need to sort it out myself? All this was happening while I was being driven by my BIL to the dealership. Eventually, hung up the conference call. Reached the dealership and asked to see the GM, Sales. Both the GM and my sales person come and greet me and inform me that Creta buyers have to get insurance through Hyundai / dealer. The fact is it truly was news to me. At no point was I ever informed that this was non-negotiable. Long story short, we refused to take delivery and were prepared to walk away. This knocked sense into them and they relented. I was prepared to ban Hyundai from my stable for the next decade on principle. It should be sufficient for Hyundai that they are selling their car at sticker price, which I have never paid for any car before this. I refuse to be strong armed into buying accessories or insurance from the dealer if I do not so desire. Called my insurance guy, provided the relevant details to him over call and he emailed the insurance cover note to me. Shared the same with the dealer so they could complete the invoicing and prep the gate pass and sign off the vehicle for release.

Back to cake ceremony. The strawberry flavored delicacy was sliced, pictures snapped, hands clapped and decibel levels in the area rose. Signed the feedback forms, got demo of the features and took official delivery of the vehicle.

Initial driving impressions:

1. Auto box is confused at lower speeds. It tries to find the optimal place to be in but takes a little while to get there. Turbo lag below 2k rpm is evident.

2. NVH is good. There's no insulation under the bonnet and still it does not sound all that bad in the cabin. Lower speed revs are audible but cruising speeds are albeit quite quiet.

3. It sucks Hyundai skimped on features with Creta. No FE figures, very few buttons are backlit (it's hard to locate buttons past sunset), mirrors don't auto fold on engine stop, only 2 airbags and plenty of other feature related gripes. At least they started giving 17 inch rims on SX+ AT (starting April I believe), so that's a plus. But, really, lack of feature on top end AT model is a big letdown.

4. The audio quality is decent. Much better than top end Innova Crysta. When bluetooth streaming is happening, the quality dips (as expected).

5. The seats are fabric and comfortable. Don't plan to get seat covers in the near future. North India's heat makes leather harder to live with. All seat related settings are manual.

6. Navigation system is responsive but not very friendly. The address needs to be punched in state->city->street->locality format. With advent of Google Maps, it's counter intuitive to drill down to an address based on individual fields. It's so boring that I gave up trying to feed in my work and home addresses. I guess I'll use it again when I really need its help.

7. In high traffic situations, I prefer to use the manual driving mode so that I can keep the car in right rpm range and gear. Engine struggles to find the right gear with constant braking and acceleration.

8. Cornering lamps are very useful.

9. Fuel tank took about 51 liters of fuel on first filling. No FE reporting means the only way to figure out consumption is to read the kms covered and measure it against fuel filled (have to take it to near empty to be accurate). My 8-year old Honda City provides that information but not Creta.

10. Boot space is good. Spare is not an alloy. No trunk mat was provided. Considering getting this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/speci...697151350.html

Not sure if there's a difference between Chinese ix25 and Indian Creta.

11. Keyless entry is convenient and practical. No need to take the key out of the pocket during the trip. With key in your pocket, approach the car and hit the small button on the handle, car unlocks. Push start button to start the car. Journey ends. Hit the stop button to stop the car. De-board the car, close the door and hit the small button on the door handle to lock the car. The key stays in your pocket all this while. Super convenient. The front passenger door handle does not get this feature.

It's still early days of my ownership; will share further thoughts as I have more experiences with the vehicle.

Last edited by t2k4 : 27th July 2016 at 14:45.
t2k4 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:18   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
.... At least they started giving 17 inch rims on SX+ AT (starting April I believe), so that's a plus.
If yours is from the new lot aren't you supposed to get the diamond cut alloys AND the faux leather seats? How is it that you end up with the 17 inchers but not the company fitted leather seats?

This AT is a confused unit but you'll learn to live with it over time maybe because its so darn convenient! Congratulations. Drive safe.
Old 27th July 2016, 18:26   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
If yours is from the new lot aren't you supposed to get the diamond cut alloys AND the faux leather seats? How is it that you end up with the 17 inchers but not the company fitted leather seats?
The car has the diamond cut 17 inch alloys. The faux leather seats come in the SX(O) trim. That trim does not have AT option so settled for SX+. Earlier, SX+ carried 16 inch rims.

Quote:
Congratulations. Drive safe.
Thanks.
Old 27th July 2016, 23:48   #1147
BHPian

Quote:

This AT is a confused unit but you'll learn to live with it over time maybe because its so darn convenient! Congratulations. Drive safe.
The AT gets just a Leather wrapped steering wheel and 17 inch Alloys from the SX(O) and not the seats.

Quote:
The car has the diamond cut 17 inch alloys. The faux leather seats come in the SX(O) trim. That trim does not have AT option so settled for SX+. Earlier, SX+ carried 16 inch rims.
I bought mine in March and what would I not give to have the 17 inch alloys (except the 70k odd which it will cost me now ), they look premium and really bring out the looks of the car especially on a Black Creta.

Last edited by Jag4 : 27th July 2016 at 23:49.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:20   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India is in the process of giving the Creta yet another price hike.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-13679929_o.jpg

The price hike, to the tune of up to Rs 15,000 across all Creta variants, might come into effect from September 2016.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 12:39   #1149
j76
BHPian

The Creta here in India has reflectors on the rear bumper. These house proper fog lamps in the IX25 sold in China. These fog lamps are available on aliexpress at the following url - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...606516781.html.

Does anybody know if the Indian Creta have wiring already supporting this or would this require additional wiring from the front, to switch these on along with the front fog lamps ?
Old 28th July 2016, 23:13   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hyundai India is in the process of giving the Creta yet another price hike.

The price hike, to the tune of up to Rs 15,000 across all Creta variants, might come into effect from September 2016.
You and your news is quoted by IAB

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/07/h...ncrease-238522
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:30   #1151
BHPian

A couple of updates:

Quote:
6. Navigation system is responsive but not very friendly. The address needs to be punched in state->city->street->locality format.
There's a full text search option as well in the navigation system, helps with popular searches. It doesn't work well with residential and commercial addresses. Schools and other places of interest do show up.

Brakes lack the bite. You have to plan a close-call overtaking maneuver carefully as pressing the brake pedal doesn't have the desired effect. There should have been discs for rear tires as well.
Old 29th July 2016, 13:00   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar India pips the Hyundai Creta against the Honda BR-V, the Maruti-Suzuki S-Cross and the Renault Duster. Guess who wins?

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc_6940.jpg

Quote:
We’ll start with the BR-V. Well, to be really honest, none of us are big fans of the way it looks, but it’s one of those vehicles you grow to like as you spend time with it. It’s easy to drive, pretty efficient and in urban conditions at least, rather likeable too. It is lacking in spice and some equipment too but then it does provide an extra pair of seats. It’s a compromise we foresee buyers with large families willing to make. So, ignore the pseudo-SUV looks because if there’s one reason to be interested in the BR-V, it’s the flexibility it offers

Like the BR-V, the S-cross is also an outsider in a market where road presence counts. But the fact is that the S-cross has a personality very different to pretty much everything in the same price bracket. It’s not overtly showy, but has plenty to offer anyone willing to put down money for it. Dieselheads willing to live with the turbo lag will love the boost the engine has to offer, feature creatures will take keenly to all the kit on offer and practical-minded buyers will be at peace knowing their car is never too far away from a Maruti service station. The mouth-watering new price also makes the S-cross the car that delivers the most bang for your buck.

The Duster doesn’t offer the same sort of value but it is a model that takes its SUV job description rather seriously, especially in AWD form. It may lack the sophistication of some rivals but see it for what it is and you’ll find there’s a certain honesty about it. It’s a vehicle that’s equally at home in the urban jungle during the week and the real one on weekends. In all, the Duster AWD is very tough, comfy, versatile and has a degree of lifestyle appeal that outdoorsy buyers will like.

In contrast, the Creta is an SUV that’s tailor-made for urban environs. It’s attractive on the outside, well-finished on the inside, quiet and refined, and also easy to use. It’s not perfect because the rear seat experience is hampered by the limited visibility out, and its ever-increasing prices mean it’s expensive for what you get. But the Creta has an allure, a certain city slicker vibe that makes it hard to ignore.

The ideal car would be an amalgamation of each of these models with the BR-V’s seven seats, the Creta’s city-friendly demeanour, the Duster’s suspension and off-road ability packed with the S-cross’ equipment and price tag. Wouldn’t that be quite a product? As things stand, and money being no object, the Creta is the model we’d go for. It costs the most but also offers the most.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc_7137.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:26   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
...........XUV 500 was a let down. Engine refinement is absent in the AT version. The engine sounded like it struggled a lot before upshifts. The overall interior quality was also not in the leagues of Hyundai / Toyota. XUV does not give the rider a premium experience though it's loaded with features in the top spec variant.
Your initial impressions and the experience made for a very enjoyable read t2k4. I'm looking to change my 9 year old Scorpio and test drove the XUV and had a very similar impression about the lack of refinement in the AT box. The manual version is very quiet and refined though. Just to confirm- did you test the 2.2 AT or the NCR 1.99 AT? I had initially hoped the poor NVH levels are restricted to the 1.99 version only.

I'm test driving the Creta tomorrow. Will post my impression here.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 29th July 2016, 13:51   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Your initial impressions and the experience made for a very enjoyable read t2k4.
Thanks.

Quote:
Just to confirm- did you test the 2.2 AT or the NCR 1.99 AT? I had initially hoped the poor NVH levels are restricted to the 1.99 version only.
Test drove the 2.2 AT W10. Engine sounded like someone is strangulating it and it's trying to catch some air. The shifts weren't seamless either.
Old 29th July 2016, 14:30   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j76 View Post
The Creta here in India has reflectors on the rear bumper. These house proper fog lamps in the IX25 sold in China. These fog lamps are available on aliexpress at the following url - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...606516781.html.

Does anybody know if the Indian Creta have wiring already supporting this or would this require additional wiring from the front, to switch these on along with the front fog lamps ?
You can get these led lights readily available in India. They are roughly Rs2500-3000 nowadays.

There is no need for additional wiring as these wire connect with the brake lights in tail light assembly. Its a 10 minute job with 1 year warranty on the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-download.jpg  

souvik6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks