Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 23:51   #1336
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Guys

After 2 1/2 months and 7500 kms of owning the Creta, I got the first niggle. The display of the music system has gone crazy.
- I cannot click "agree" on the opening screen
- Only 20%-50% of the contents are displayed.
- Rear cam initiates when put into reverse gear, but the screen goes blank after a milli second
- The only way I can get through and change the source of the music (Radio, USB, Bluetooth, etc) is when I connect the phone and make a call. Once the call is disconnected, the"Agree" screen disappears.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20160926_112110.jpg

I took the car to Hyundai Motor Plaza service centre in Alandur yesterday. Two electricians tried their luck in updating the system, but the display did not respond to their treatment. The electricians gave up and informed the Service Engineer that the music system has to be replaced.

I was asked to come today but when I called my Service Adviser, Mr Dinesh, he informed me that Mobis were yet give the replacement head unit. Hopefully, I will have it replaced tomorrow.

Other than this, the car is amazing, especially (touch wood) the engine - is simply amazing. The build is a bit flimsy when compared to my earlier car, the All New Fiesta. I'm unable to put an ownership review due to lack of time. Hope to have it written soon.

Last edited by ampere : 6th October 2016 at 18:13. Reason: Fixed image orientation
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 00:21   #1337
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Creta : Poor mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
He has taken the car to the dealers (MODI Hyundai, Bandra) and they have given him the stock answer stating that there seems to be nothing wrong. He is at his wits end and wanted to check with BHPians if such low fuel consumption is the standard? If not, what are the options at his disposal? He said that as per the brochure, Hyundai claimed the consumption to be in the vicinity of 12 kmpl.
An average car weighing 1.3 tons and powered by 1.6 litre petrol engine would give a mileage of anywhere between 8 to 10 kmpl, depending on traffic conditions.

Two things to check -

1) Take the car on the highways and check the fuel economy.
2) Get the emission testing done. If the numbers are unusually high, it means the engine is not burning fuel efficiently.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 01:01   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
An average car weighing 1.3 tons and powered by 1.6 litre petrol engine would give a mileage of anywhere between 8 to 10 kmpl, depending on traffic conditions.

Two things to check -

2) Get the emission testing done. If the numbers are unusually high, it means the engine is not burning fuel efficiently.
How many kms has the car done till now? Was it run in correctly?

And try switching petrol bunks. Fuel quality also plays a major role in this.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:22   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys

After 2 1/2 months and 7500 kms of owning the Creta, I got the first niggle. The display of the music system has gone crazy.
- I cannot click "agree" on the opening screen
- Only 20%-50% of the contents are displayed.

I took the car to Hyundai Motor Plaza service centre in Alandur yesterday. Two electricians tried their luck in updating the system, but the display did not respond to their treatment. The electricians gave up and informed the Service Engineer that the music system has to be replaced.
Hi Mas, quick question did you try the reset button ? Or if you pull the battery cable did it comeback. If not best to get it replaced.
Old 28th September 2016, 13:41   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi Earthian,
...Is he measuring this using the tank-full method?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
How many kms has the car done till now? Was it run in correctly?
And try switching petrol bunks. Fuel quality also plays a major role in this.
Thank you, guys for the prompt answers. My BIL thanks you all for your suggestions. He answers as follows:

1. The service centre tested the mileage on the highway - they found it at 14 kmpl which the driver acknowledged was lower than the standard of 15 - 16 kmpl. They filled the petrol from a petrol pump of their choice.

2. I have taken petrol from two pumps close to my residence for testing the mileage. With the pump in 1 above, that makes it 3 pumps in all. We normally take fuel (petrol, diesel) for my other cars (Innova, Honda City - since sold) from these pumps (over 5 years now) and have never faced mileage problems.

3. My last mileage check done yesterday gave 5.9 kmpl; this is in the range which I have been getting (5.85 - 6.1 kmpl) over the last month and half since I started checking as per the directions of the service centre - top the tank, run the car and clock the kms, top it again.

4. Emission test done earlier today gives all parameters as normal :- CO: 0.011%; HC: 259 ppm; CO2 / Non methane HC: 0.40%; O2 / Reactive HC: 19.98 ppm; all others: 0.

5. The vehicle has done about 2,450 km till date. It has been run-in correctly under the usual city running conditions. The first free service did not find anything wrong with the vehicle.

6. Incidentally, my 10+ year old petrol Honda City used to give a mileage of 9 - 10 kmpl in the same city conditions in Mumbai - our residence or places of work / frequent visits have not changed. I replaced the Honda City with the Creta in July. The driver is very careful / conservative, has been with us for a long time, and drives the other vehicles as well where I do not face any mileage issues.

So what we have here is a marginally lower FE on highways, which can (probably) be put down to the "absence" of perfect testing conditions. Is that right? However, the dismal performance on the city circuit is worrying. Is there any technical reason for this? 5.85-6.1 kmpl is like the pits!

Last edited by earthian : 28th September 2016 at 13:46.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:59   #1341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So what we have here is a marginally lower FE on highways, which can (probably) be put down to the "absence" of perfect testing conditions. Is that right? However, the dismal performance on the city circuit is worrying. Is there any technical reason for this? 5.85-6.1 kmpl is like the pits!
It's like a murder mystery, and needs to be investigated like one.

1) 14 kmpl on highways means everything is allright with the car's engine.
2) Pretty much no car gives 2.5 times higher highway mileage than city mileage.
3) Car is driven by a driver.

I have a feeling the driver is sitting in the car with engine ON for a long time - for either listening to music or for switching on the air-conditioner.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 14:07   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
...I have a feeling the driver is sitting in the car with engine ON for a long time - for either listening to music or for switching on the air-conditioner.
Thank you, smartcat. We had thought about this, but since the driver has been around for more than 10 years and such an issue was not being faced in the other cars, we first wanted to check if there could be a technical reason for this low FE.
Old 28th September 2016, 15:37   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling the driver is sitting in the car with engine ON... .
Response from my BIL:
Thank you for your advice.

I've not had this driver problem with any of my other cars - we do random and surprise checks, and also as evidenced by good mileage.

However, in order to remove all reasonable doubts, I shall test the mileage under self drive and not give the Creta to my driver at all during the next few days.

Best regards

mods: sorry for the back to back posts.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 16:52   #1344
Distinguished - BHPian

No Creta 4WD on the cards at least in the immediate future, according to an IAB source who is closely associated with the Hyundai Creta.

Quote:
“Buyers are very much satisfied with the overall package of the Creta, we see no reason for a 4WD variant. When the car was new, yes, we did receive a lot of inquiries about 4WD option, but now, a year later, I’ve almost no queries asking for such a variant. The demand is simply not there”, the person, who is closely associated with the Creta product, told IAB.

At least in the immediate future, we’re not considering 4WD for Creta. Should the market suddenly pick-up, then sure, why not. The platform is compatible with 4WD technology. We sell a 4WD variant in China, and we can do so in India, but I don’t think there’s going to be demand if we launch it now”, the person added.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 00:20   #1345
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Hi Mas, quick question did you try the reset button ? Or if you pull the battery cable did it comeback. If not best to get it replaced.
Tried the reset button countless number of times. No change at all. I did not try to pull out the battery terminal, but I'm sure the Hyundai electricians know better.

Got a call today from HMP to bring the car to the workshop for changing the music system. As i was tied up work, I will take the car tomorrow.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:28   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Some interesting news on the Creta facelift:

Quote:
With the refreshed Creta making an entry in Brazil+ , it is expected that Indian version will draw inspiration from the Creta teased in the Latin American country. The Hyundai vehicle will be showcased at the upcoming Sao Paulo International Motor Show in November. The India launch is likely to happen in late 2017.

Taking cues from Superman's crest, the new Creta will feature a larger hexagonal front grille, as evident from the teaser shots. The headlamps are likely to remain the same, which is good; however, the fog lamps have taken a 90-degree turn now.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/54597342.cms
Old 30th September 2016, 13:28   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Response from my BIL:
Thank you for your advice.

I've not had this driver problem with any of my other cars - we do random and surprise checks, and also as evidenced by good mileage.

However, in order to remove all reasonable doubts, I shall test the mileage under self drive and not give the Creta to my driver at all during the next few days.

I bought a Creta Petrol 3 months back. Have not checked the fuel consumption till date. This episode is scary. Shall check mine soon and get back to you.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 07:50   #1348
BHPian

Hi all,

Finally got time to post thee review of the Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock module i purchased.

Link to the review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180624

It works brilliant, a must have!
sorry for the late update, i received this around 20 days ago, but couldn't post earlier.
Insane Devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 10:26   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I bought a Creta Petrol 3 months back. Have not checked the fuel consumption till date. This episode is scary. Shall check mine soon and get back to you.
On the issue of fuel economy, i would like to share my experience.

Nanook came on 17th Sep 2015 and after that I have kept details of each and every expenditure, which is entered in an excel file and is religiously updated every week. So i have all details of fuel filled in one year and distance covered during each drive. The summary of one last one year is as follows :-

Total fuel filled : 876.16 (ltrs)
Approximate balance : 27 ltrs (even if i am off by 5 ltrs result difference is minimal)
Used Fuel : 849.16 ltrs.
Km : 10719 kms .
FE till date : 12.62 kmpl.

Now around 75 % of my driving has been on highways and rest in local conditions. On highways, i generally drive at speeds of 90 to 110 kpmh, whereas in local driving, due to company restrictions, speed is 20-30 kmph.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nkghai : 4th October 2016 at 10:27.
nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 00:48   #1350
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
FE till date : 12.62 kmpl.
That is a good mileage for a Creta.

Instead of using an excel file to track fuel and costs, you could try one of the Fuel Apps. I use Android App "Fuelio" to track the costs for both my cars.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed