Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 22:52   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
These are cars in two completely different classes. The i20 Active is a variant of the regular i20 with additional GC and other features. The Creta is basically an i30 (GD) / Elantra (MD) underneath wearing a different "top hat".

For an accurate parallel, comparing Hyundai's Creta with an i20 Active is like comparing Volkswagen's Tiguan (first gen.) with a Cross Polo!
Actually I was under the impression that the Creta shares the RB platform of the Verna/Solaris/Accent. There is no way that an i30 platform can be put in a car which is priced so low.

The J4/J5 platform of the i30, is shared by the Elantra, Tucson, Kia Cee'd and Kia Sportage. In that way its comparable to the VW Golf platform being pushed into Jetta, Skoda Octavia, Yeti and the likes. The Tucson is the Yeti equivalent here, not the Creta.

Nevertheless I agree that the Creta is neither overpriced, nor underpriced. Its priced at what it should be, given the demand and popularity. A Honda City breaches the 14L mark easily today and an Innova crashed through the 20L mark and well beyond, models like Polo GT TSi costs 11+L approx and an i20 active comfortably crosses the 10+ mark for a smaller engine, inflation is here to stay and I believe for our country, only high prices can be the deterrent for excessive sales and/or usage.

As for the comparison between the Creta/Accent platform and the Elantra/i30 platform, there is a huge difference. Suffice to say that one test drive in the Elantra (even if its not the segment best) will make people shun the Verna/Creta platform in an instant. Therefore the present Elantra and upcoming Tucson aren't/wont be overpriced either.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 08:20   #1367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai to launch Creta in Brazil in 2017 . Promises it to be exclusive to Brazil. Will be manufactured in Brazil and not specified any time frame .
Hyundai releases the next teaser of Creta for Brazil. Promises to be different than the Creta in other markets. This could come as a facelift in markets where the product is already sold.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-hyundaicreta774x533.jpg

Quote:
With production confirmed in Piracicaba (SP), along with the HB20, the compact SUV Creta will have differentiated design and unique to Brazil. The brand promises a more rugged and imposing in addition to original equipment
Source
Old 19th October 2016, 16:56   #1368
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Actually I was under the impression that the Creta shares the RB platform of the Verna/Solaris/Accent.
I'm replying from the tiny little 4" screen of my phone now using the app, so I cannot provide a detailed technical reply at the moment.

Even I was initially under the impression that the Creta is based on the i20/Verna platform. Boy, oh boy! How wrong I was! It most certainly isn't!!!

I wouldn't be repeating this again & again if I wasn't so sure in the first place. The Creta is indeed based on the i30 (GD) / Elantra (MD) platform!

That is why I firmly believe the Creta is good value-for-money. It's not a car from the i20/Verna class, but one from the i30/Elantra class.

After thoroughly poring over the differences between the two platforms, I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no way the Creta could have been built on the i20/Verna platform. Even during the Creta presentation, Hyundai mentioned it was based on the Elantra platform - slightly modified maybe, but an i30/Elantra platform for sure! But such is the rabid, venomous hatred for both the Creta & Hyundai among certain incorrigible sections of the online crowd, that the mighty myth about the Creta being a supposed "i20 on stilts" was deliberately repeated by those who were either totally ignorant of the facts, or had vested interests in seeing the Creta fail, or both.

As for the new Tucson, it is based on the platform of the newly unveiled third-generation i30 & the sixth-generation Elantra (AD) that was just launched in India.

There lies the crucial difference between the two. The Creta is a sibling of the "Fluidic" i30 (GD) & Elantra (MD) that sport wildly stylish cuts & sharp creases, while the Tucson is a sibling of the new i30 (HD???) & newly launched Elantra (AD) which sport the more mature, toned down "Fluidic Sculpture 2.0" styling. So while both the Creta & Tucson are based on i30/Elantra platforms, the two do not share the same platform either.

Last edited by RSR : 19th October 2016 at 17:25.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 02:22   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I wouldn't be repeating this again & again if I wasn't so sure in the first place. The Creta is indeed based on the i30 (GD) / Elantra (MD) platform!

That is why I firmly believe the Creta is good value-for-money. It's not a car from the i20/Verna class, but one from the i30/Elantra class.
Isn't there something in between I20 platform and I30 platform called as I25 platform. I always knew that Creta was to be named I25 initially but then Hyundai changed their naming nomenclature.
Old 20th October 2016, 15:47   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Response from my BIL:
Thank you for your advice.

I've not had this driver problem with any of my other cars - we do random and surprise checks, and also as evidenced by good mileage.

However, in order to remove all reasonable doubts, I shall test the mileage under self drive and not give the Creta to my driver at all during the next few days.

Best regards
Update:
  1. The service center sent a mechanic who after driving the vehicle, confirmed FE at 8.7kmpl by the tank filling method. Please note that this was done on saturday morning under light traffic conditions.
  2. My BIL has been using the car himself ( and not his driver) and he got 7.7 kmpl. Hence misuse of driver is ruled out.
  3. Hyundai does not seem to be doing anything. In fact, the service mechanic opined that 8.7 kmpl was ok.
  4. My BIL is again writing to customer care in Hyundai. Could some one give mail ids of someone senior in Hyundai to whom this issue can be raised?

What are the other options now? Or do we have to live with this? It is galling that wrong FE was mentioned in the brochures and personal briefings by dealer and company. Is it possible that the vehicle needs some tuning since other owners here in T-BHP seem satisfied with the FE.
Old 21st October 2016, 23:00   #1371
Senior - BHPian

My friend who has had a petrol Creta for close to a year says that he has been getting around 10-12 in the city so get your car checked. Maybe he could test drive another Creta to see if anything feels 'different' compared to his ? It might help in narrowing down the problem.

Could it be an issue with bad fuel ? Maybe a refill from a bad bunk caused an issue with the fuel filter ?

Last edited by Mortis : 21st October 2016 at 23:02.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 00:00   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Update:[list=1]
In fact, the service mechanic opined that 8.7 kmpl was ok.

What are the other options now? Or do we have to live with this? It is galling that wrong FE was mentioned in the brochures and personal briefings by dealer and company. Is it possible that the vehicle needs some tuning since other owners here in T-BHP seem satisfied with the FE.
Hi Earthian, what about the tire pressure, are they all set correctly, 33psi.
in my previous ride i20 asta crdi i had noticed lower Fuel Efficiency when the tire pressure were lower than recommended.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 00:09   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Update:[list=1][*]The service center sent a mechanic who after driving the vehicle, confirmed FE at 8.7kmpl by the tank filling method. Please note that this FE.
Tip: try keeping the RPM of the creta below 2000 always. Try it for a full to full tank run and update. I get a easy 12 in city traffic with AC on (one way B2B traffic, return is at night, it is relatively freer).
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:17   #1374
BHPian

Hi Folks, Has anyone had any suspension issues with the Creta?

My car has just run 5k in 6 months and there is a very loud "Khat" sound from the left front side while going over potholes. The sound doesn't come on every pothole and also doesn't depend on how nasty the bump is. There are times when even a 2 inch bump would result in a loud noise and times when even a huge bump would be crossed without any noise.

What could be the cause?
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:04   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Hi Folks, Has anyone had any suspension issues with the Creta?

My car has just run 5k in 6 months and there is a very loud "Khat" sound from the left front side while going over potholes. The sound doesn't come on every pothole and also doesn't depend on how nasty the bump is. There are times when even a 2 inch bump would result in a loud noise and times when even a huge bump would be crossed without any noise.

What could be the cause?
I had a similar issue in my XUV500. I was going on a road-trip so took the car to the workshop for a pre-drive inspection and mentioned the same to the service advisor. He mentioned that he would "re-torque" the suspension. Not sure what he finally did, but the noise on these potholes either disappeared, or lessened significantly.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:07   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated to come as a facelift, the Hyundai Creta seen testing in Brazil.
Hyundai also announced that his style will be different from what already exists in other markets around the world.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-h1.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-h2.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-h3.jpg

Quote:
The Brazil, one of the most important markets for the global strategy of the South Korean automaker, will receive a Hyundai Creta with unique features and more robust and impressive. The intention is to combine the brand design update to the taste and preference of the Brazilian consumer
Source
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 13:21   #1377
BHPian

My Creta 1.6 SX completed its first year yesterday. I clocked 36612 km in the whole year averaging more than 100 km a day and what a journey it has been. A brief snapshot of the whole journey.

The pre - purchase dilemma

I started looking for a replacement for my 4 year old 1 lac km plus i20 sometime in April last year, wanted to have a SUV in the budget 10 - 12 lacs and was confused between the Ecosport and the Terrano. While the Ecosport was a good package overall with top-notch safety features and interiors , somehow is always felt small to my taste. Terrano fitted the size bill perfectly but the interiors were a big let down and the dealer attitude here was really baffling.

Happened to travel to China at the same time, to cut a long story-short, saw a ix25 in the hotel porch and I was sold to it. How i wished Hyundai launched it in India, came back to India and a google search showed the fact that indeed it was going to be launched in India this festive season. What started was a passionate follow-up on any news ( I even got to know about this wonderful forum and took membership at the same time). Booked the Creta 1.6 SX(O) as soon as bookings opened up and was supposed to take the delivery on the launch date itself. Then came the big bummer in form of prices, the prices were in simple terms too high on my budget and personally I never cross my limits on depreciable things. Cancelled the booking with a heavy heart and deferred the purchase decision for better times.

As Learnado mentioned at start of the movie "inception" that 'Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it’s almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed, fully understood. That sticks, right in there somewhere.' That was the exact case with me, I could not let the car leave my senses and every time I saw it on road my state of mind changed and I wanted to own it.

The Purchase

Once our team-bhp review was out and from various other inputs available online, i understood that though the car was a bit expensive, it was not as expensive as i thought it to be in relative terms and the pricing policy was at par with what other car companies are doing at the moment i.e. build a hype, launch at premium price, hope it clicks, if not reduce the prices 6 months down the line and let the product find its right price. But somehow I never believed it would not click and the sales figures confirmed my belief. Booked my 1.6 SX white on Navratri First day (stuck to my budget you see, compromised on some creature comforts (not a big issue), those awesome 17" dark alloys (a little issue) and the 4 additional airbags (big big issue)) with a 4 week waiting period and understanding that i will get the car near Dhanteras.

Started following up on regular basis with my Dealer and each time was told that I would get the car on Diwali. Got a call on 21st Oct morning from my sales executive and he told me that they have a silver 1.6 SX ready for delivery and the customer that it was allotted to it has some other issues so whether i would like to take the same. The decision was made therein and i got my car the day itself.

Special mention for my dealer here in Kanpur, no arm-twisting for sale of any additional accessories or packages or charging of any premium in disguised form. Also no finance paper work were ready that day, and it was a 3 day bank holiday but still he let me have the car just based on past history with him and my finance part was done afterwards.

Living with it

Let me tell you firstly, that this is the most expensive vehicle I have driven or sat in so my opinions are a lot biased and not to be compared with any other vehicle in this segment since i have never driven anything comparable.

As far as the exteriors go, it is a stunner and the only grouse i have is that they could have used the LED strips at front as DRL's and the back light could have a better look. For the interiors, everything is spot on and the high seating position gives a very good commanding view all around. It has all the normal bells and whistles though i feel Hyundai could have added speed sensing door-locks and back lit window buttons to it (don't blame me Hyundai for nit-picking, u only spoiled me with these little things in my i20). The engine is an absolute gem with enough power to keep a smile on my face. 100-120 feels a breeze on the Yamuna expressway and the car keeps firmly planted, i am happy with the overall ride and quality part but as I said earlier I haven't driven anything else in the range so my views are not comprehensive on this parameter.

My car has given me an overall mileage of 14.13 kmpl till date, full tank to tank basis from single fuel pump and all data complied with the help of an app on my phone. The mix has been 50% highway with a heavy right foot and 50 % city in a place choked with traffic and climate control on all the time. Best figures returned were 18.96 kmpl on a Delhi to Kanpur run and the worst have been 10.01 kmpl in city though I strongly feel that the fuel pump was to be blamed for such dismissal figures.

The car has been serviced every 10k km as advised at a single HASS and they have taken proper car of the same each time with bills averaging 8000 - 9000 for each service.

The only grouse I have is that somehow I feel Hyundai has come down a level in quality of plastics being used in interior. The soft touches are still there but the polish and colors are waning out fast. In my i20 the black buttons lost their color after 2-3 years but in Creta the edges have already started showing signs of wearing out and whiteness is seen on the edges. I at least expected them not to cut corners in these small things.

What next?

I generally keep my cars for 4 years or a lac km whichever comes first, I am hoping that for Creta will follow the year rule only and should cross 1.5 lac km at least by then. The tires have got only half the tread left so will be changing them soon, won't we waiting for them to give some problems, might be near 45k km, am also wanting to change the back lights to the LED types as mentioned in the following thread, will wait for some reviews and just might give my car a Diwali gift on the next trip to NCR

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...i-creta-2.html

Happy motoring guys
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_2675.jpg  

sids1811 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:21   #1378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Actually I was under the impression that the Creta shares the RB platform of the Verna/Solaris/Accent. There is no way that an i30 platform can be put in a car which is priced so low.
The J4/J5 platform of the i30, is shared by the Elantra, Tucson, Kia Cee'd and Kia Sportage. In that way its comparable to the VW Golf platform being pushed into Jetta, Skoda Octavia, Yeti and the likes. The Tucson is the Yeti equivalent here, not the Creta.
Nevertheless I agree that the Creta is neither overpriced, nor underpriced. Its priced at what it should be, given the demand and popularity. A Honda City breaches the 14L mark easily today and an Innova crashed through the 20L mark and well beyond, models like Polo GT TSi costs 11+L approx and an i20 active comfortably crosses the 10+ mark for a smaller engine, inflation is here to stay and I believe for our country, only high prices can be the deterrent for excessive sales and/or usage.
As for the comparison between the Creta/Accent platform and the Elantra/i30 platform, there is a huge difference. Suffice to say that one test drive in the Elantra (even if its not the segment best) will make people shun the Verna/Creta platform in an instant. Therefore the present Elantra and upcoming Tucson aren't/wont be overpriced either.
"Platform sharing" seems to be a current buzzword on most auto forums these days. It is tempting to conclude that this maybe the result of a bit of spin-doctoring by the marketing gurus of most mfrs - who, in any case, believe that the buying public consists of ignoramus-es who wouldn't know an auto platform from an ECU!

A bit of google search (eg, http://blog.caranddriver.com/these-1...icles-by-2020/) shows that the term conceals far more than it reveals! The Bentley Continental GT & the Audi A8 are the "same" under the skin (albeit the Audi is Aluminium space-frame) & the new Beetle & the Octavia are "same" too - despite the obvious gap in WB!

The article even goes on to elaborate that "platform" & "architecture", tho' often interchangeable, are not the same thing at all! And I always believed that super-specialty technical jargon was found only in the medical profession - usually as a means of ripping-off the public! I guess engineers like me & perhaps others in the fraternity (albeit I'm a few months into retirement!), are going to find themselves - increasingly! - out of touch with this changing scenario. A Rolls-Bentley sharing underpinnings with the hoi-polloi - what is the world coming to!

The answer as usual lies with the bean counters - reduced manufacturing & developmental costs across a whole range & class of vehicles, while offering widely different prices to the buying public. The bottom line being that even bespoke makes (like Bentley above) today provide no guarantee of exclusivity!

Last edited by shashanka : 24th October 2016 at 18:27.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 07:26   #1379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speculated to come as a facelift, the Hyundai Creta seen testing in Brazil.
Hyundai also announced that his style will be different from what already exists in other markets around the world.
Hyundai releases more pics of the Creta for Brazil. As seen earlier the front grill is shown to be different than the current model in India. Now we see the
foglamps are positioned horizontally and not vertically .

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-hyundai_creta_1.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-hyundai_creta_2.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-hyundai_creta_3.jpg

Source
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 22:40   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai releases more pics of the Creta for Brazil. As seen earlier the front grill is shown to be different than the current model in India. Now we see the
foglamps are positioned horizontally and not vertically .

Attachment 1570686
Attachment 1570687
Attachment 1570688

Source
Can't make out much, but looks like this ones skipping the led tail lamps & all around disc breaks, as seen on the Chinese model.

Those alloys look a lot like the one Maruti is offering as OEM options with the Brezza.

Any buzz on when should it hit our shores?

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 26th October 2016 at 22:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks