Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 20:00   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Hyundai's 'Made in India' Creta ( variant with 2 Air Bags) gets 4 stars in Latin NCAP Safety Crash test.

Car is tested as it goes shortly on sale in LA markets. Not sure if these results could be related to the Indian sold units. Crash weight test given as 1496 Kg.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-capture.jpg

Quote:
The Hyundai Creta, made in India, achieved four stars in Adult Occupant protection and three stars in Child Occupant protection. It is one of the manufacturer’s latest models, recently launched in Latin America. The lack of standard equipment such as ABS and passenger Seat Belt Reminder (SBR) and a side impact test that the manufacturer did not sponsor limited the model from achieving a better star rating. The equipment configuration decision was made by the manufacturer’s headquarters. The lack of this equipment as standard in this model disappointed Latin NCAP considering that they are important for passengers’ safety as well as ESC
Source: Latin NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th December 2015 at 20:25.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 20:22   #647
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Congrats Suresh. Interesting to know things moved after escalation. I too am waiting for my petrol sx+. Was promised 2 to 3 months delivery and no news even after 80 days. I would have taken the delivery had it it happened by now. But now with year end vacation nearing, I want it in January. I am wondering if I should start escalating now itself. Otherwise they might allot it to someone else with some premium.
Would you mind sharing what trick they played (just to compare with my dealers) and also how you escalated? Did you threaten with cancellation?
Well, Adithya, the regular stuff - When I called the sales personnel after 60 days, he gave me evasive responses (among other things, he kept saying that Creta was in demand, like I didn't know ). He never committed a proper date. I always knew they would never deliver before 90 days.

Today, I was asked to go to the stockyard with a driver and check out my car and okay it for delivery. When I was 2 minutes away from the stockyard, one of the sales personnel asked me to go to one of their other showrooms (not the one I was buying the car from) in that area and not to the stockyard. I smelled a fish and insisted that we go to the stockyard. When I got there, I saw only one grey Creta whose seats were all outside and workers removing seat covers and maybe doing some other work on the car. I was furious because I had never asked for seat covers or any other accessories. I called the sales team and gave them a piece of my mind and rejected the car. The guys there were at least courteous enough to drop me back to my dealership, some 40 kms away. When I arrived at the dealership, I made sure they registered my protest and I asked that my car be rebooked and delivered ASAP. The sales manager agreed and promised to get me my vehicle in a weeks time. Phew! What a buying experience man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Congrats Suresh. Interesting to know things moved after escalation. I too am waiting for my petrol sx+. Was promised 2 to 3 months delivery and no news even after 80 days. I would have taken the delivery had it it happened by now. But now with year end vacation nearing, I want it in January. I am wondering if I should start escalating now itself. Otherwise they might allot it to someone else with some premium.
Would you mind sharing what trick they played (just to compare with my dealers) and also how you escalated? Did you threaten with cancellation?
I am sorry, I forgot to add -

I called the Hyundai toll free number and got a service request #. Also sent an email to - 'crsales@hmil.net' quoting the service request #.

I didn't threaten them will cancellation. What's the point waiting for 90 days and losing? I'd rather persevere and win.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th December 2015 at 20:30. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
rsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 20:53   #648
BHPian

Sorry to hear that Suresh. Thats indeed a very bad experience. But dont worry. I am sure you will get it next week. Good luck.
Thanks a lot for the pointer.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:31   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuresh View Post
...are there any Creta specific items I need to pay attention to? I want to get Hyundai genuine non-leather seat covers and a steering cover installed. Any suggestions/comments?
Cannot think of much really other than standard PDI...At first tank-up, get tire pressures checked. Dealers are notorious for over-inflating. Mine was 40 psi as opposed to the recommended 33. It makes a difference to ride quality.

I faintly remember the genuine seat cover options from Hyundai were so lame that even the sales people were recommending to get it done from an outside vendor, through them (or otherwise). Which is not such a bad option after all. There are some branded (custom-made) options available as well and I have heard very good things about them.

There is a somewhat wacky thing I have tried on my Creta and it is working well so far! I got good quality Wilson contoured tennis racket grips (4 of them!!) and wrapped them around the wheel. It doesn't look as posh as factory-fitted leather cover but the steering grip is SIMPLY OUT OF THE WORLD to say the least. Ended up spending INR 1500 but it is worth every penny. Been a couple of months and its still good as new. I have sweaty palms and I did not quite like the leather original grips OR any of the after-market options. Can post pics if someone is interested.

Last edited by zing : 16th December 2015 at 14:33.
zing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:06   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
There is a somewhat wacky thing I have tried on my Creta and it is working well so far! I got good quality Wilson contoured tennis racket grips (4 of them!!) and wrapped them around the wheel. It doesn't look as posh as factory-fitted leather cover but the steering grip is SIMPLY OUT OF THE WORLD to say the least. Ended up spending INR 1500 but it is worth every penny. Been a couple of months and its still good as new. I have sweaty palms and I did not quite like the leather original grips OR any of the after-market options. Can post pics if someone is interested.
That is an interesting idea! Any stock leather cover get slick after use and the grip is no longer great. Please post some pics to get an idea of how it looks and the coverage.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:08   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Cannot think of much really other than standard PDI... Mine was 40 psi as opposed to the recommended 33.
but the steering grip is SIMPLY OUT OF THE WORLD to say the least. Ended up spending INR 1500 but it is worth every penny. Been a couple of months and its still good as new.
First thing is tank full and Tyre pressure check.
Kindly do post pictures of the "Tennis Grip Steering".
I got some decent art leather seat covers from my dealer which went well with the car interiors.Some snaps

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc05318.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc04029.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc04036.jpg

Last edited by nkghai : 16th December 2015 at 15:14. Reason: wrong photograph uploaded
nkghai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:11   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I got some decent art leather seat covers from my dealer which went well with the car interiors.Some snaps
I also got art leather ones installed couple of days back. Mine are not through dealer though. Had to wait for many days due to the 60:40 split at the back. I had specifically asked that I want proper cover for the rear arm rest instead of the zipper cover. Will post pics later.

First milestone of 1K kms crossed yesterday. No niggles to report. Have got a minor scratch on the rear bumper thanks to an idiot who tried to cut too close. I want to get PPF done in bumpers but 3M is quite far so have not been able to travel there.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:58   #653
BHPian

For the past two months i have been in a liquid state of mind, regarding the choice between Ecosport and Creta, but today something surprising happened, i had been continually asking about the kerb weight of Creta, fro m wherever i could, but was unable to get a satisfactory reply.

Today i went to a Hyundai showroom, where I was able to find a link with the GM, asked the same question regarding the weight of Creta, brochures etc were searched, no result found, I suggested him to look in the data they submit to the RTA, for registration of the vehicles, and to my utter surprise, the value of the unlaiden weight, which is equal to the kerb weight, of the top spec SXO, 6 airbags model, with all the bells and whistles, was 1108kg, I asked them to recheck, the person got it written on a slip, from the staff dealing with the registration of the new vehicles, unlaiden weight- 1108kg and Gross weight of around 1500kg. Now the lower models sx and sx+ must be less then 1100kg. That makes it lighter than the Punto, Polo, and quite close to the new swift which is 1050kg, older swift was 1065kg. Just look at the size of the vehicle, and the weight is even less than hatchbacks.
Please Creta owners, what is the unlaiden weight mentioned in the Registration certificate. Thanks.
Old 19th December 2015, 21:15   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Please Creta owners, what is the unlaiden weight mentioned in the Registration certificate. Thanks.
I don't know what documents the dealership people checked, but they have given out incorrect information.

My Lazarus (SX+ VTVT) has the following weight numbers, as per official RTO registration:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th December 2015 at 21:17.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 02:10   #655
BHPian

Quote:

Today i went to a Hyundai showroom, where I was able to find a link with the GM, asked the same question regarding the weight of Creta, brochures etc were searched, no result found, I suggested him to look in the data they submit to the RTA, for registration of the vehicles, and to my utter surprise, the value of the unlaiden weight, which is equal to the kerb weight, of the top spec SXO, 6 airbags model, with all the bells and whistles, was 1108kg, I asked them to recheck, the person got it written on a slip, from the staff dealing with the registration of the new vehicles, unlaiden weight- 1108kg and Gross weight of around 1500kg. Now the lower models sx and sx+ must be less then 1100kg. That makes it lighter than the Punto, Polo, and quite close to the new swift which is 1050kg, older swift was 1065kg. Just look at the size of the vehicle, and the weight is even less than hatchbacks.
The RTO documents at Kochi rates that the unladen weight of the i20 Elite CRDi at 1200 kg so shouldn't the Creta being a much bigger vehicle be rated at 1500odd kilos?.And doesn't the data provided on the RC have to be accurate?

Happy Motoring And Drive Safe
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 06:55   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
The RTO documents at Kochi rates that the unladen weight of the i20 Elite CRDi at 1200 kg so shouldn't the Creta being a much bigger vehicle be rated at 1500odd kilos?.And doesn't the data provided on the RC have to be accurate?

Happy Motoring And Drive Safe
My car which is registered at cochin RTO states:
Unladen Weight - 1360kg
Gross weight - 1790kg

I hope this clears the doubt.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 12:43   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Kindly do post pictures of the "Tennis Grip Steering".
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
That is an interesting idea! ...Please post some pics to get an idea of how it looks and the coverage.

Here goes...

I have used Wilson's contoured grip which takes the gripping a notch higher, although some might contend it compromises on the looks aspect. For an optimal balance between looks and grip, a non-contour grip can be used. However, it will never look as neat and posh as the factory fitted all-leather...although the grip is awesome and I love it. I deliberately decided not to go around the joints and I do not see that as an issue for me during driving. It can be done though. FYI, the grips are all just over a meter each and usually have an adhesive back along with a nice thin and stretchable matt-finish tape for securing the ends. In my case, the tape has 'wilson' printed on it. If you are particular, you can buy plain ones available for cheap from any half-decent sports shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-p1016068optimized.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-p1016069optimized.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-p1016070optimized.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-p1016071optimized.jpg  

Last edited by zing : 20th December 2015 at 12:52.
zing is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 13:59   #658
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the past two months i have been in a liquid state of mind, regarding the choice between Ecosport and Creta, but today something surprising happened, i had been continually asking about the kerb weight of Creta, fro m wherever i could, but was unable to get a satisfactory reply.
Here's the data from Autocar India:

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screenshot_20151220135626.jpg
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 15:17   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Here goes...

I have used Wilson's contoured grip which takes the gripping a notch higher, although some might contend it compromises on the looks aspect. For an optimal balance between looks and grip, a non-contour grip can be used. However, it will never look as neat and posh as the factory fitted all-leather...although the grip is awesome and I love it. I deliberately decided not to go around the joints and I do not see that as an issue for me during driving. It can be done though. FYI, the grips are all just over a meter each and usually have an adhesive back along with a nice thin and stretchable matt-finish tape for securing the ends. In my case, the tape has 'wilson' printed on it. If you are particular, you can buy plain ones available for cheap from any half-decent sports shop.
Buddy, you were actually wrong. The Tennis grip steering is very high on practicality and to tell the truth, it looks great. Such a great thinking and guess your new foundation can be used on any car. Well done and Great work buddy. Thumbs from my side .
Aniruthan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 19:02   #660
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Hmmm... Is that a car which is under production in some top secret facility? We would love to see a car with a tin chassis, maybe NASA or VW has come up with some revolutionary and lightest material.

Who knows, maybe VW has another 'cheat' device or speaker installed which makes the thud sound when closing doors, and owners think doors are made of the heaviest and rarest metal on earth. Maybe another cheat device in the AC gas which hyptonises the owners and they think they are driving the best car on the planet
You're not too far off the mark, Shakensoul! Hyundai is apparently so secretive about the correct kerb wt of the Creta that I noticed three different values mentioned (as per the RTO docs. & Autocar India) by three members in their posts, further down this same thread:-

1108 kgs.. Ludhiana RTO, posted by gsratta
1265 kgs.. posted by RavenAid
1360 kgs..Cochin RTO, posted by naveen.raju
1265 kgs.. Autocar India, posted by RSR

Even allowing for some variation in wt. for the different spec. models, this seems rather steep. I mean 1108 or 1265 kgs for an SUV which is 4.27m long (the Ecosport at 3.99m long is almost a foot shorter & weighs in at 1222 kgs) - how does that sound? To me it seems a lot of hype about honey-comb monocoques & NCAP ratings for basically candyfloss structurals. And as I've said elsewhere, all the computer modelling and stress analysis won't convince me that a super-light monocoque has much going for it apart from torsional rigidity (for that "nimble & agile handling"). Certainly not the abuse-friendly rugged strength one expects from an SUV costing upwards of 16 lakhs. And don't forget that missing side-impact NCAP rating!

Last edited by shashanka : 20th December 2015 at 19:05. Reason: Typo error!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks