Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:38   #781
BHPian

Another poser for all you Creta owners, particularly VTVT owners.

I have read that the idle rpm of the petrol Creta settles around 1000 rpm after say about 30 secs of morning idling. Now my Nanook behaves a little differently, so need all you buffs to tell me it is Ok or should i bang my head with the service center.

Yesterday evening after returning back from office, while parking i noticed the rpm to be around 700. Waited for a minute and restarted but it again settled at 700 rpm only. See snap below and note the trip at 352.3. (sorry for bad photos, blackberrys never had good cameras)
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160301_173529.jpg

When i was leaving for office today morning, after 30 secs the rpm settled at 1050, which is how it should be IMO. The trip meter is still at 352.3. (blackberry seems to be better this time)
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160302_075806.jpg

After driving a km, with trip meter at 353.3, i got down for my biometric entry. When i restarted, the rpm this time settled at 750.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160302_080302.jpg

Now my question to all is whether this is normal behaviour?
Is there so much variation in the rpm or is this the ECU way of handling my short drives?

AC was not running in all three cases. For short drives, never switch on my AC.
The ambient temperature can be seen to be 31 deg in the evening, and 24 deg in both the cases today morning.
I have actually noticed this variation many times in the last two months. Invariably after a run of a km or so the rpm falls and if i have a longer run, rpm settles very low and hence the doubt.
Maybe i am nitpicking.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2016 at 13:04. Reason: Adding your latest update to the original post
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:26   #782
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

My Creta, which is a SX 1.6 diesel and I am looking for some decent floor mats, the ones I got from the showroom ( Blue Hyundai ) Mysore Road is PATHETIC!, it doesn't even cover half the floorspace/leg well. A friend of mine bought the same variant from a different dealer, his had much better ones, so I was wondering if it depends on the dealer ?

Anyway, please recommend decent mats which actually cover the entire floor space. I am looking at rubber mats. I do not want 3D mats as they are too expensive.
Old 3rd March 2016, 03:18   #783
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Another poser for all you Creta owners, particularly VTVT owners.

Now my question to all is whether this is normal behaviour?
Is there so much variation in the rpm or is this the ECU way of handling my short drives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I have actually noticed this variation many times in the last two months. Invariably after a run of a km or so the rpm falls and if i have a longer run, rpm settles very low and hence the doubt.
From what I understand, your Creta idles at a higher rpm (~ 1050 rpm) everytime after a cold start in the morning (after revving up even higher initially). However, after a normal start, it idles at a (relatively) lower rpm (~ 750 rpm). Is this correct?

If this is the case, then it's just fine and perfectly normal behaviour, though I'm not quite able to explain why. One educated guess is that the ECU recognises a cold start somehow and sets the idling rpm higher for a cold start, in order to bring the engine oil up to a warm operating temperature more quickly.

The lower rpm seems to be the normal idling one, while the higher idling rpm is reserved only for cold starts.

I've observed this in our i20 1.2 VTVT as well. Our earlier Indica Xeta 1.2 also exhibited similar behaviour, from what I can recollect. It's also the same in our i10 1.1 iRDE, at least from what I can make out with my ears (as it doesn't have a tachometer, being a 2009 Era variant).

Last edited by RSR : 3rd March 2016 at 03:32.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:25   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
If this is the case, then it's just fine and perfectly normal behaviour, though I'm not quite able to explain why.
The lower rpm seems to be the normal idling one, while the higher idling rpm is reserved only for cold starts.
I've observed this in our i20 1.2 VTVT as well.
Thanks RSR and Autospeaker.

Autospeaker had clarified through a pm that "The engine rpm is around 1000 till the coolant temperature reaches the normal value. This would be the case when you start in the engine in the mornings for the first time. Once the coolant temperature is optimum for the operation, rpm remains around 700". This explanation seems quite feasible and i agree that as the temperature goes up the idling speed reduces, till it settles down at the operating temperature.

So it seems to be settled that it is normal behaviour. The only question remains for me is to check from the service guys if 700 is the laid down idling rpm for this engine at the operating temperature.

As i say, pata karne mein kya jaata hai. We will all be doubly sure then.

Last edited by nkghai : 3rd March 2016 at 08:32.
nkghai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:51   #785
Team-BHP Support

Engines idle higher at cold starts, settling down to a lower idle once operating temp is achieved. It's about reaching optimum combustion, done manually by chokes in older carburetor-based engines making the engine run a richer fuel/air mix for a short while, done today by ECUs using fuel injection.

Try starting in extremely cold conditions and you'll see the needle jump up even further.

Depends on the load too. Even at operating temp, with/without A/C can bump idle up/down ~100-200 revs on smaller engines, esp. on warm days with the compressor working hard. Test it sometime. A small Petrol (<2L) usually idles in the 750-900 RPM range so yours seems perfectly normal as long as you aren't facing any juddering on cold starts.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2016 at 17:11.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 10:33   #786
BHPian

Its been 2700 Km on my CRDi 1.6 SX (O). Some observations :

1) Super ride quality - takes the bad roads very well. On a 2-laner I was overtaking another car and a huge pothole suddenly showedup, went over, no jarring of bones whatsoever.

2) Really low noise levels : often feels like a Petrol car from inside

3) Super, clicky gear-box, awesome feeling

4) Linear power delivery ( well, almost )

5) Good manoeuvrability/acceptable turning radius : Got stuck in a narrow road in Thiruvarur which was blocked at one end by barricades to let only two-wheelers through. Everyone was saying that this big car has to go back in reverse gear for 500m. But hey, no, we turned back with very little problem.

6) Not taking the corners at higher speeds well - having been used to the low seat Swift which takes corners at high speeds really well, one does need to be careful on the handling : you don't drive at high speeds on the corner : you can feel the vehicle trying to lean

7) Once or twice I have had a problem where the NAV starts showing split screenish images and I have to touch the screen for it to be corrected.

8) Once or twice when driving, I had the warning clang ( the same that you hear when you seat belt not on or door open, but only neither in this case ) but never could figure out what it was.

Overally, very good buy!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-dsc_0263.jpg  

airguitar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 22:59   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Creta price list for Bangalore in case anyone interested. The Diesel Top end and the Diesel AT is now 18.23L Bangalore

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-price1.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 23:39   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Updated Creta price list for Bangalore in case anyone interested. The Diesel Top end and the Diesel AT is now 18.23L Bangalore

Holy moly. That's a huge jump. It was 17.2 on road at the time of launch just 6 months ago. In 6 months the price has gone up by 1 lakh.

18 lakhs for the Creta is very difficult to digest.

Renault has maintained the same price of the facelifted Duster even after the budget which means the top end Duster 2WD RXZ 110PS is 3 lakhs cheaper than the Creta SX(O). Ok the Creta is well equipped but even if you take the mid level Creta SX+ which is now nearly 17 lakhs, the Duster top end 2WD is still 1.5 lakhs cheaper!

The S-cross 1.6L Alpha with new budget prices is 2.7 lakhs lesser than Creta.

Note: I'm taking on road bangalore for above comparisons.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 23:52   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

That is depressing

Success of the Creta has gone to Hyundai's head it seems, SX AT was around 16.5lacs OTR here in Delhi I'm guessing which was already on the higher side, don't know if the price update will be effective here as well, although it seems like that would be the case :(
Old 6th March 2016, 08:33   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
18 lakhs for the Creta is very difficult to digest.

Renault has maintained the same price of the facelifted Duster even after the budget which means the top end Duster 2WD RXZ 110PS is 3 lakhs cheaper than the Creta SX(O). Ok the Creta is well equipped but even if you take the mid level Creta SX+ which is now nearly 17 lakhs, the Duster top end 2WD is still 1.5 lakhs cheaper!

The S-cross 1.6L Alpha with new budget prices is 2.7 lakhs lesser than Creta.
Just to add, Mahindra is currently offering the xuv at earlier prices. So the XUV W8 AT can be had at 18.9L OTR Bangalore and the W10 AT at ~20L. ( these were the quotes given to my friend). The W8 manual will be cheaper than the Creta sx(o).
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 13:09   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishusingh View Post
That is depressing

Success of the Creta has gone to Hyundai's head it seems, SX AT was around 16.5lacs OTR here in Delhi I'm guessing which was already on the higher side, don't know if the price update will be effective here as well, although it seems like that would be the case :(
Hi Vishu, yes the prices in Delhi have also gone up. Attached is the new price list. On top of that, for immediate delivery of Cretas (I'm looking at a Petrol SX+ version), all dealers are asking for a hefty 50k "loading charge" where they are loading the car with random accessories all apparently with the blessing of Hyundai. Else wait period is still hovering around 2-3 months. My other option is the Altis J which is at the old price and being offered at an almost 50k discount which brings down the gap between the two cars to 2L. In a big quandry now.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-image1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2016 at 07:09. Reason: fixed quote tag
Now9084 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 17:33   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now9084 View Post
Hi Vishu, yes the prices in Delhi have also gone up. Attached is the new price list. On top of that, for immediate delivery of Cretas (I'm looking at a Petrol SX+ version), all dealers are asking for a hefty 50k "loading charge" where they are loading the car with random accessories all apparently with the blessing of Hyundai. Else wait period is still hovering around 2-3 months. My other option is the Altis J which is at the old price and being offered at an almost 50k discount which brings down the gap between the two cars to 2L. In a big quandry now.
Thanks for the update, this is sad, I've been in a similar confusion for some time now, cancelled one booking this weekend and still wondering about my options.

Though I believe Creta and Altis are in different leagues altogether, the offer on the Corolla is certainly very tempting though I'd suggest you to re-look at your requirements at this time, is it the road presence of a compact SUV you're after or the handling of a sedan for example.
Old 7th March 2016, 17:55   #793
BHPian

Can anyone list out the differences between SX+ Petrol and SX+ Diesel? Apart from the obvious different engines.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:25   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Can anyone list out the differences between SX+ Petrol and SX+ Diesel? Apart from the obvious different engines.
I don't think there is any difference between the Manual Variants of both. The SX+ Diesel AT gets a couple of features not there in the Manual ( Child Seat Mount and 60:40 Split Seats). The official brochure/website has these details.

On a side note, I was browsing the Hyundai Creta Official Site and they have a Social Media section with FB comments. Below is a screen shot. Their website/Marketing team must pay more attention to the social feed coming into the official website. One would have thought that they will take care to ensure only good things are displayed in the official site.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-cretareview.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th March 2016 at 22:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 07:53   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now9084 View Post

Attachment 1483441
I booked my Creta SX+ VTVT on 25th February and took delivery on 28th feb. It's from MGF Hyundai at Alappuzha, Kerala. Got lucky I guess
vishu2xll is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks