Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 17:02   #871
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
I request some guidance on the running-in process pls.

I'm expecting my Creta delivery (Petrol) sometime next week. I've read through recommended running-in procedure on our site, which clearly states that - "Long highway trips or time spent in bumper-to-bumper traffic is bad for the run-in process. ...".

Under normal circumstances I would have loved to follow these guidelines to the letter similar to how I treated my previous vehicles, but the catch here is, we've got a family function coming up in 1st week of May @ my hometown which is 450 kms away (Bengaluru to Kota, Udupi Dist).

Now, if I decide to take my new Car on this long drive with only 100+kms completed by then, any extra-precautions I need to take ? Or is it a big no-no ? I will be keeping under 2000 RPM all along.

Any suggestions pls ? Thanks in advance !

- Prasanna.
I hadn't realized that, the TBHP article (on running-in process) had a link to forum topic where all my above queries were talked at great length.

Now, I've found my answers. So, I'll maintain 1800 - 2200 rpm, try not to stick to same speed for more than 30 mins, give a 10 mins break every 2 hrs, be gentle with acceleration, deceleration and braking.

Thanks to all the members for sharing their insights !

- Prasanna.
Old 15th April 2016, 18:37   #872
BHPian

Went to take a test drive of Creta today and the car is absolutely brilliant to drive. Took the diesel top end for a fairly long run and car was doing 120 something on the highway in no time. The gear shift was slightly notchy (maybe only with the test drive vehicle). Handling of the creta was totally car like. Never felt like I am driving a Suv.
The only deterrent is the waiting period. 3 months for the automatic variant and 2 months for the other variants.
Old 16th April 2016, 21:38   #873
BHPian

4K Done on the 1.6 SXO.

More observations in addition to points stated earlier

1) Takes steeps really well : does uphill climbs really well

2) As pointed out earlier, cruises on the highway, no vibrations etc at say 140 KPH

3) Very good on narrow roads, turning etc is easy - very easy for city driving.

4) Braking : Unsatisfactory : If you let your friends/others drive the creta, give them a warning about braking : many a time, I have hard to slam a bit more than I would have liked to to slow down, so I tend to keep more distance from the vehicle ahead these days

5) S-Turning/Haripins downhill : I feel a krrrrrrrr sound on the break pedals : I don't think it's the ABS - anyone ?

6) Anyone had a problem with the traction control ? I was trying to drive uphill on a loose soily-gravelly road and the car front tyres kept getting buried in ( tried different angles of ascent, but no luck ) : I didn't try disabling the traction control and driving up ( forgot to ). BUt I surely felt my Swift would have taken that surface aplomb. So thought a friend too that owns a Fabia. I have not been able to get over this at all. Thoughts ?
airguitar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 08:24   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
4K Done on the 1.6 SXO.

4) Braking : Unsatisfactory : If you let your friends/others drive the creta, give them a warning about braking : many a time, I have hard to slam a bit more than I would have liked to to slow down, so I tend to keep more distance from the vehicle ahead these days

5) S-Turning/Haripins downhill : I feel a krrrrrrrr sound on the break pedals : I don't think it's the ABS - anyone ?
You are bang ON.

I did a trip to Raipur yesterday and only 20 kms of the 100 kms stretch has any road, rest all is gravel and mud. Total distance done was 254 kms.

The Creta handled beautifully and going over undulations was a breeze. The only thing which left one unsatisfied was the brakes. It takes too long to stop!

On gravel if you are doing 70 kmph, the ABS comes in immediately when you apply the brake with a krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and the stopping distance is almost doubled. Have to be very careful. At one point it felt as i have no braking at all.

IMO when you are taking a hairpin with the foot on brake pedal, as soon as the wheel has a minor spin, the ABS kicks in and hence the krrrrrr sound. This should have been more pronounced downhill.

Last edited by nkghai : 18th April 2016 at 08:25.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 13:46   #875
BHPian

Got the 10K service done on my AT. Couple of thing that left me concerned:

(1) The guy added 3M engine oil flush, revved the engine for couple of minutes, drained all oil, filled up 20 W 40 mineral oil, changed the oil filter and air filter. I was told they don't have synthetic oil!

Is this okay? Or should I have insisted on synthetic oil?

(2) The wheel balancing reading in one of the wheel that I checked (I wasn't around for the other wheels as I had gone with another SA for changing the spare) showed 0 (zero) on the left side and number 15 on the right side. I thought that after the balances are placed, both the readings should be zero. Upon asking the guy, he said for Creta 15 reading on the right side is fine. He claimed that zero on both sides in not necessary and may not even be possible.

(3) The guy doing the wheel balancing and alignment wasn't pleased that I was overlooking his work. After pulling out the vehicle from the wheel alignment area, he tweaked some bolt when I wasn't around. I suspected that he may have played around with the settings after I had monitored the computer settings. My fears were found true when drove the car after service. I wasn't satisfied with the wheel alignment so went back. One of the SA took a ride and agreed that the car was pulling on the right side.

The same guy who did the balancing & alignment also took a ride and agreed that the car was pulling. Firstly, one guy attached a hand-held device in the fuse box area and ran some software. I was told that he was "calibrating the steering wheel". Secondly, another guy tightened the same bolts on the front wheels that he was tweaking during the alignment.

After that they took a test drive (with me in the passenger seat) and confirmed that the car was now not pulling on the right side. I was told to drive away and that the problem is now resolved. I asked that lets verify this on the computer screen to make sure that the alignment readings are correct. They said that it was getting late, and there were few cars waiting for balancing & alignment. I was told to come back next week if there is any issue. I will drive the car over the weekend at highway speeds and will visit the service center again after few days. The car is not pulling on the right side. It does pull to the left after some time which could be due to the slope in the road.

I have the following questions:
(1) Should I get all the wheels balanced again in my presence and insist on zero readings on left and right side (inner and outer)?
(2) Should I insist on getting the wheel alignment numbers checked on their computer?
(3) Anything I should worry about the mineral oil 20 W 40? Would I have to now change oil after 5K kms?

I am trying to learn so that I am better equipped during the next service, or take immediate corrective actions if necessary. Sorry for the long newbie post.
sohu9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 15:34   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Got the 10K service done on my AT. Couple of thing that left me concerned:

Is this okay? Or should I have insisted on synthetic oil?

(3) The guy doing the wheel balancing and alignment wasn't pleased that I was overlooking his work. After pulling out the vehicle from the wheel alignment area, he tweaked some bolt when I wasn't around. I suspected that he may have played around with the settings after I had monitored the computer settings. My fears were found true when drove the car after service. I wasn't satisfied with the wheel alignment so went back. One of the A took a ride and agreed that the car was pulling on the right side.

They said that it was getting late, and there were few cars waiting for balancing & alignment. I was told to come back next week if there is any issue. I will drive the car over the weekend at highway speeds and will visit the service center again after few days. The car is not pulling on the right side. It does pull to the left after some time which could be due to the slope in the road.

I have the following questions:
(1) Should I get all the wheels balanced again in my presence and insist on zero readings on left and right side (inner and outer)?
(2) Should I insist on getting the wheel alignment numbers checked on their computer?
(3) Anything I should worry about the mineral oil 20 W 40? Would I have to now change oil after 5K kms?
Thanks for the update.

They dont use Synthetic oils. In fact sometimes the warranty is null and void because of using synthetic oils. There is a detailed discussion on the forum on this aspect. So let it be.

Let the mechanic get upset over your standing on his head. After all it is your vehicle and i would go to the extent of stating that you are paying for his work. So why should you not see what is happening. That is what we all should insist and so happy to notice that most BHPians are following it.
Read posts
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3936300
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3939337
If i was not standing when they broke a steering clock on my vehicle, i may have been struggling the day it happened.

They use the pad/ wire connected device to reset the sensors while keeping the wheel straight for all the pulling complaints. It is a simple reset, where the pad has an option for EMS reset and after a reset the vehicle is completely switched off for 10 secs. Even i feel i have a very minute pulling to the left and although Hyundai has promised to rectify it after i gave their biggies a shoddy repair mail, I just do not want to get my vehicle opened time and again by these guys. In fact if I dont really concentrate this left pulling is not noticeable. Its your call. In case you feel it is irritating you, you should go and get complete thing done again and insist it be done in front of you.

I have another issue, that is about their methodology. The mechanics do the wheel alignment and sensor alignment as separate procedures. IMO it should be done together. That is to say, when one does the wheel alignment for perfect straight as per reading on the monitor(rear and front connected for straight), the same time the steering should be checked for straightness and the sensor also should be reset to Zero. It is a no brainer. But what they do is first do wheel alignment and then after finishing, the mechanic keeps the front tyres straight visually and then does sensor alignment.

Do not know why we cannot have standards here for all to know. Till such time i am keeping my steed off their hands for as long as possible.

Last edited by nkghai : 18th April 2016 at 15:45.
Old 19th April 2016, 19:16   #877

Hyundai Creta Petrol AT priced at INR 13.48 lakhs (Ex-showroom Mumbai)

6-Speed convention AT available in Top-end SX+ variant only.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/04/h...t-price-228804
Old 20th April 2016, 16:59   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitjadhav View Post
Hyundai Creta Petrol AT priced at INR 13.48 lakhs (Ex-showroom Mumbai)
Greedy! Greedy!

Hyundai are getting away as their competition isn't good.

The Honda City VX CVT is a lakh cheaper.

The Duster 110 RXZ AMT is thirty thousand rupees cheaper.

The Creta has certain advantages over the other 2 cars, but it's too expensive. Perfect opportunity for Honda to get market some share with the BR-V petrol. (Remember the sweet i-VTEC? )
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:54   #879
BHPian

Hyundai to increase the production of Creta by 20% to 12,000 units per month . Currently, 10,000 units per month are being produced, about 8,000 units are for domestic market and rest is exported.

Sales are touching 8,000 units per month and currently it has waiting period of two to two-and-half months. More details are in the below link.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51911702.cms
Old 23rd April 2016, 06:07   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
You are bang ON.

On gravel if you are doing 70 kmph, the ABS comes in immediately when you apply the brake with a krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and the stopping distance is almost doubled. Have to be very careful. At one point it felt as i have no braking at all.

IMO when you are taking a hairpin with the foot on brake pedal, as soon as the wheel has a minor spin, the ABS kicks in and hence the krrrrrr sound. This should have been more pronounced downhill.

Oh absolutely absolutely. Spot on. But you don't feel that sound when the traction control is turned off and you take a downsloping hairpin with brakes slightly pressed.

Now, a couple more things that concerns me

1) Handbrakes are not good enough... Even at it's highest position, the handbrake doesn't restrain the car on a slope. Like always I apply the handbrakes, leave the vehicle in first or reverse when parking. But now, this doesn't inspire confidence. Sometimes I do end up putting rocks under the wheel for extra restraint.

2) Something silly : but often becomes a big irritant : the Hyundai logo on the steering wheel : it's highly reflective and on highways when the sun is behind you or on the sides, it always reflects from the logo causing discomfort to the eyes.

But otherwise, I simply love the car - can't praise it enough. The car's definitely in the "Neighbour's envy, owner's pride" category

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd April 2016 at 06:11.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:43   #881

Got the second service done on my SX(O). Cost wise I am happy and they did they did even bother to fill in the windshield fluid. Asked them not to do wheel alignment and balancing as I had to do it outside due to a puncture. Total cost was around 2200 for oil and filter change.

The thing that concerns me is that the SA told there was a sound while turning the steering all the way. He said they got directions from Hyundai to check this issue and correct them FOC. On hearing the Free word, I asked him to go ahead.

I didnt notice this sound myself. Now after driving a bit I am starting to hear a squealing sound from the edges of dashboard. Is there a chance that they had to take the dashboard out to fix this so called issue.
Iamthe1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:54   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthe1 View Post
Got the second service done on my SX(O). Cost wise I am happy and they did they did even bother to fill in the windshield fluid. Asked them not to do wheel alignment and balancing as I had to do it outside due to a puncture. Total cost was around 2200 for oil and filter change.

The thing that concerns me is that the SA told there was a sound while turning the steering all the way. He said they got directions from Hyundai to check this issue and correct them FOC. On hearing the Free word, I asked him to go ahead.

I didnt notice this sound myself. Now after driving a bit I am starting to hear a squealing sound from the edges of dashboard. Is there a chance that they had to take the dashboard out to fix this so called issue.
Oh yes! The Thak sound has been accepted by Hyundai as an issue and they have likely asked service engineers to look into it.

It is quite possible that if they opened or adjusted the steering shaft, they would have opened the side cover on the dashboard as also the dash portion below the steering wheel. Please see pic below which depicts the areas i am referring to.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-untitled.jpg

So if the squeaking sound is coming from any of these two places, then it may be due to improper/loose/misaligned fitment of these.

Last edited by nkghai : 23rd April 2016 at 10:01.
Old 23rd April 2016, 10:19   #883
BHPian

Can someone recommend 1) car body cover 2) decent 3d mat for creta?. Its hard to find a car cover. I see one listed in amazon but I am not comfortable buying without a feedback. I bought a key cover (http://www.amazon.in/Keyzone-Silicon.../dp/B016Y3WAT0 ) from there and it doesn't fit at all. I am too lazy to return it to them.
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:33   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Can someone recommend 1) car body cover 2) decent 3d mat for creta?. Its hard to find a car cover. I see one listed in amazon but I am not comfortable buying without a feedback. I bought a key cover (http://www.amazon.in/Keyzone-Silicon.../dp/B016Y3WAT0 ) from there and it doesn't fit at all. I am too lazy to return it to them.
I am quite happy with my car cover. It is Challenger make and was bought from a dealer in Bhubaneshwar. It fits in snugly and the elastic at front and back ensure that even during very windy conditions it holds good. You can check out in local market there since i am not aware where all it will be available. See photographs below.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160423_112230_edit.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20151102_111947.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20151102_111909.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20151102_111844.jpg

My 3D Mat given by Hyundai dealer turned out utterly useless and am also planning new ones so any inputs are welcome.
Old 24th April 2016, 06:55   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I bought the car cover from Hyundai Itself. It fits snugly, has elastic tightners on each edge and has CRETA emblazened on top. Costs 1300 rs.
As for the 3D mats ; I wouldnt recomment them. I got a pair myself and had to be removed coz it was moving about too much while driving. Now I'm having 3M noodle mats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks