Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 12:30   #1696
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Do others also feel that the fuel gauge is not that well calibrated?
After a tankfull, I get ~100Kms before the first bar is gone, however the remaining 3/4 tank is consumed in covering just another 400kms or so!

I am getting an avg. of 12-13km/ltr in city traffic.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:55   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
After a tankfull, I get ~100Kms before the first bar is gone, however the remaining 3/4 tank is consumed in covering just another 400kms or so!

I am getting an avg. of 12-13km/ltr in city traffic.

That's actually an issue with all Hyundai's, I guess. The same happens in my 2013 Fluidic Elantra as well. I get a good 150 kms before the first bar drops and then it goes down real quick.
Old 17th April 2017, 13:21   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
That's actually an issue with all Hyundai's, I guess. The same happens in my 2013 Fluidic Elantra as well. I get a good 150 kms before the first bar drops and then it goes down real quick.
With just one bar remaining if I refill the fuel, I am able to get 41-44 L only. Although tank capacity is 55L. So looks like reserve is 11-14L.
Old 17th April 2017, 17:47   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey25 View Post
This may be because I'm driving pretty sedately as the car is still in it's running in period but being an AT transmission , I figure it is good . Hope this will give you an idea.
Hey, is yours a Diesel? How's the running in period going? I find it a major issue to restrict the RPM under 2000 since the gear shift happens around that point itself

Quote:
Quote:
That's actually an issue with all Hyundai's, I guess.
Yes, and was a similar problem with my i10 petrol. The top half gauge takes in more mileage while the bottom half disappears relatively faster
Old 17th April 2017, 18:33   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Hey, is yours a Diesel? How's the running in period going? I find it a major issue to restrict the RPM under 2000 since the gear shift happens around that point itself

Yes, and was a similar problem with my i10 petrol. The top half gauge takes in more mileage while the bottom half disappears relatively faster
Yes , it is a diesel indeed . I've been driving very sedately and regarding the RPM issue , as long as you are under 2200 you don't have to worry because the gear change usually takes place near the 1900-2100 band depending on the accelerator input . I myself find it difficult to maintain the RPM when I go over a speed breaker and as soon as I cross it , I sometimes rev her quickly and the gear change takes place very soon but I'm trying to prevent this from happening by keeping the accelerator input to the minimum . One more thing that I noticed is that if I keep the accelerator input constant around the 1800-1900 RPM , the gear change takes place at this Mark only and doesn't get near 2000 .This is solely my observation but maybe you could see that for yourself and I hope to hear about your running in.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th April 2017 at 12:45. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
shrey25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 18:46   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Yes , it is a diesel indeed . I've been driving very sedately and regarding the RPM issue , as long as you are under 2200 you don't have to worry because the gear change usually takes place near the 1900-2100 band depending on the accelerator input . I myself find it difficult to maintain the RPM when I go over a speed breaker and as soon as I cross it , I sometimes rev her quickly and the gear change takes place very soon but I'm trying to prevent this from happening by keeping the accelerator input to the minimum . One more thing that I noticed is that if I keep the accelerator input constant around the 1800-1900 RPM , the gear change takes place at this Mark only and doesn't get near 2000 .This is solely my observation but maybe you could see that for yourself and I hope to hear about your running in.
100% agreed with everything you said. Mine has hit about 700kms till now and I've revved up to 2500 on occasions, at times out of curiosity and other times to keep the RPM range wider. Pickup after speed breakers is a challenge because I end up using the heavier foot and the car grunts but doesn't pick up as much speed and hence RPM rises swiftly.

How long are you going to maintain the breaking in period? I'm planning under 2000 till 1500 kms, under 2500 till 2500 kms and then a free run.
Old 17th April 2017, 19:36   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
100% agreed with everything you said. Mine has hit about 700kms till now and I've revved up to 2500 on occasions, at times out of curiosity and other times to keep the RPM range wider. Pickup after speed breakers is a challenge because I end up using the heavier foot and the car grunts but doesn't pick up as much speed and hence RPM rises swiftly.

How long are you going to maintain the breaking in period? I'm planning under 2000 till 1500 kms, under 2500 till 2500 kms and then a free run.
I'm planning to do the break in for the first 2500 kms and I too sometimes take her till 2500 RPM so that I expose her to a wider running band , after 1500 I'll also do 2500 RPM and during that time I'll take her occasionally to 2800 RPM and after the 2500km Mark I'll high rev her away to glory and I also wanted to ask you that are you warming up the engine before taking off and idling up before switching it off because I'm doing both .
Old 17th April 2017, 19:55   #1703
BHPian

I'm looking to pick up a Creta Automatic in the near future. However, the Petrol vs Diesel dilemma is turning out to be a tough one! Hence posting here for fellow BHPians' input!

The car will primarily be used by my parents in Kottayam, Kerala. The difference in OTR price is coming to 1.90 lac for the SX+ Auto. With a yearly running of 8-9k km, and a mileage of 10 kmpl for petrol and 15 kmpl for diesel, it should take approx 7 years to make up the 1.90 lac, which I think is steep. Hence leaning towards the petrol. One thing I haven't considered here is maintenance costs. What ballpark figure am I looking at for annual maintenance of the petrol & diesel automatics? Or should I not be considering that as a major factor in this era?

Would love to hear what the forum has to say! Thanks in advance.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:42   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'm looking to pick up a Creta Automatic in the near future. However, the Petrol vs Diesel dilemma is turning out to be a tough one! Hence posting here for fellow BHPians' input!

The car will primarily be used by my parents in Kottayam, Kerala.
Hi GEO, my CRETA CRDI AT average is 10.86km/l. With the kms you described above i would recommend the Petrol.Which ever one you choose you will love it
Old 17th April 2017, 21:50   #1705
BHPian

When I was at the service center I saw the parts comparison for both Petrol and Diesel. A good many parts are shared and hence the same - labour charges too. In routine service, there will be a small difference in the engine oil quantity and price, but service intervals are once a year. So even in 7 years, the difference doesn't add up.

So bottom line is if you have going to clock enough mileage every year go for the diesel. Otherwise petrol.

In any case you will enjoy the vehicle
Old 17th April 2017, 22:56   #1706
BHPian

Shouldn't we also be considering the more carcinogenic emissions of diesels in Petrol vs Diesel choice? Or is there still doubt about the debate on emissions? Experts opinion will help me too. At the moment I am ruling out all diesels primarily for the emissions.
Old 17th April 2017, 22:59   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's actually an issue with all Hyundai's, I guess.
Quote:
Not an owner of Creta, but just posting for the observations on fuel gauge.

The fuel gauge is and indicator and is not linear. I have observed this in various cars that includes 2005 Baleno Sedan (1.6), 2015 Swift VXi, 2014 Grand i10 diesel.

In my Swift, the meter takes quite some time to drop below 1/4, and will stay just above 1/4th notch for some time, and then drop rapidly. I had discussion about this with service center incharge at Hyundai and Maruti regarding this. A person told me it has to do with shape of fuel tank also.

At the end of the day, fuel gauge is an indicator which will have its own approximation. However, my 2010 Wagon R's petrol indicator is much more linear than my Swift's. Our 2012 Innova diesel has the best linearity I have seen till date.

So, what you have observed is not a calibration issue IMO. One of my friend also had similar observation regarding his Duster's fuel indicator.

How knowing this helped me : On one trip back from A'bad, I followed google maps and deviated from my usual route which had double the traffic I usually face on my preferred route. Result : Was low on fuel when I hit expressway, drove behind trucks to save on fuel. If I had thought that fuel gauge is linear, it would have meant running out of fuel 30-35 kms. before fuel station.

Here is a thread on TBHP for fuel gauge accuracy.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th April 2017 at 23:01.
Old 17th April 2017, 23:54   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
I also wanted to ask you that are you warming up the engine before taking off and idling up before switching it off because I'm doing both .
Yes I do, for about 20 seconds until I setup my playlist and all. Then I drive under 1000 until I come out of my apartment complex and then proceed normally. Sane before turning it off. I put it to Park, fold mirrors, collect my keys etc and then turn it off.

2 things I wanted to check with you:
1. While pulling the gear out of P, it feels unnaturally heavy. Isn't smooth as the rest of the gears. I've tried using parking brake too but it didn't make a difference. Did you feel this too?
2. The locks that hold the rear seat in place don't engage. I can simply pull the rear seat from anywhere and it folds. Did you try yours?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 01:23   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I do, for about 20 seconds until I setup my playlist and all. Then I drive under 1000 until I come out of my apartment complex and then proceed normally. Sane before turning it off. I put it to Park, fold mirrors, collect my keys etc and then turn it off.

2 things I wanted to check with you:
1. While pulling the gear out of P, it feels unnaturally heavy. Isn't smooth as the rest of the gears. I've tried using parking brake too but it didn't make a difference. Did you feel this too?
2. The locks that hold the rear seat in place don't engage. I can simply pull the rear seat from anywhere and it folds. Did you try yours?
I'm facing the same problem with my Gearbox and I watched a video on YouTube , I think it was engineering explained and the guy was talking primarily about AT gearboxes and he pointed out that it is more prominent with new cars as the mechanism has not worn in properly and it is specially during the cold start and he also pointed out that during traffic the car should be in D rather than putting it in neutral as it is better for the gearbox if gears are not changed unnecessarily . I'll find the video out and send you the URL and regarding the rear seat , I haven't really checked it out and I'll surely let you know if it's the same with my car or not .
shrey25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:16   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The fuel gauge is an indicator and is not linear.
The problem is that there is no sanctity of having this indicator if it indicates incorrectly! Given that 'Distance to empty' is not displayed on even the SX+ trim, the fuel gauge is not useful at all!
Why can't this be fixed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks