Old 11th January 2018, 14:02   #2131
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Check this thread

Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-software.html
I followed this the last time (April 2017) and it worked perfectly. But this time I see multiple download files and guess they've changed the format of the files or the procedure to update. Cause this method didn't work for the latest update.
Old 11th January 2018, 14:09   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
I followed this the last time (April 2017) and it worked perfectly. But this time I see multiple download files and guess they've changed the format of the files or the procedure to update. Cause this method didn't work for the latest update.
Is there a user navigation guide which is there on the site?
Last time i downloaded it and found out the steps.
Check if it is there and some steps may have been changed.
Cant access the website from my workplace
Old 11th January 2018, 14:36   #2133
BHPian

Saw this and thought of sharing here. Majority of the people have misconception about how ABS acts. One of my friend is not at all confident with any cars that don't have ABS. As per his understanding, ABS will stop the car immediately without locking the breaks. Unfortunately, he never thought about the braking distance. None of the ABS videos say about the actual scene. But this videos will provide a clear picture of ABS and how it will actually perform, other than the typical ABS videos. Thanks for the creator of this video.

Last edited by sujithsidhardha : 11th January 2018 at 15:01. Reason: part 3 of video
sujithsidhardha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:08   #2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Is there a user navigation guide which is there on the site?
Last time i downloaded it and found out the steps.
Check if it is there and some steps may have been changed.
Cant access the website from my workplace
NkGhai & Greatgyan,
Like I mentioned originally, the step by step instructions under the "Update Guide" link are a mess. You can download and read it once to understand how to get to the download page & get the activation code.
Here you go;
  • Register & complete all activities until you get the download page. (see my earlier post)
  • Download all the zip files onto a folder (Zip, Z01, Z02, Z03 & Z04)
  • Then use 7-zip (other unzip apps also work) to extract "Select extract here" on the file marked .Zip (not on others) which is about 120mb.
  • This then automatically unzips & merges all the zip files onto a single one. (takes about 6 minutes depending on computer)
  • Then copy the 3 Sub-folders from that onto a Pen-drive (preferably a 8GB), along with the activation file. Pen-drive must be formatted to Fat32 or ex-FAT.
  • Activation file will have your device ID as file name.(you can get that link from the download page after you register & feed in your device details)
  • Switch off the system completely by pressing power button for more than 2 seconds then shut down the car.
  • Insert the pen-drive, then start the car. The installation should start automatically.
  • Last years instructions asked us to copy the activation file to the Folder named "Bin". You can do that & try again.

If it doesn't;
  • Switch off car completely & wait for a minute (until all systems are off).
  • Start car & while the system boots (with Hyundai logo), press & hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • This brings up the recovery mode, where you need to select the 2nd option "Force update".

Important Note: Do not switch off car no matter what, as this will brick the update.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:16   #2135
Senior - BHPian

There is a Change.org Petition that someone from the Creta Facebook Group has created which they plan to take it up with Hyundai for looking into the braking issues report on the Creta.

If anyone here has faced the issue, you may want to cast your vote and strengthen the case: URL
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:24   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Saw this and thought of sharing here.
Thank you for sharing these, they are insanely informative. Episode 1 at 1.55 seconds is precisely what Creta owners have been complaining about but I think it's not a defect. Rather automakers should educate new owners a little about ABS because this involves a change in driving habit.

Looking back at my own experience when we met with a minor accident, I should have attempted to steer in the right lane but I didn't because coming from an i10 I knew the car won't steer when brakes are slammed. Ended up getting rear-ended.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:01   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
automakers should educate new owners a little about ABS because this involves a change in driving habit.
You said it. Customers are not properly educated about the working of ABS. Even the sales person misguide that ABS will help the car to be stopped immediately without skiding. They don't provide anything more than that. I believe 99% don't know how it works. If they know how it works, they would be more cautious while driving. What happens now is that many of the users put all their confidence in ABS and floor the accelerator believing ABS helps them to stop immediately and save them from all accidents.
sujithsidhardha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 16:33   #2138
Distinguished - BHPian

As far I see on this whole issue, it isn't a manufacturing defect. I would say the brakes feel inadequate as I have experienced this on the Creta before. The ABS does kick in but it isn't confident inspiring. They should have given better brakes for a compact SUV and all discs.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 10:15   #2139
BHPian

Updated the Head Unit OS and Maps of my 2016 Creta to IN.10.47.50.530. Used the first of the three free updates at https://india.map-care.com/

I was hoping against hope that I would get Apple CarPlay as a part of the upgrade but it did not happen. When the system was being updated, saw a message flash on the HU screen "Updating CarPlay files" - my heart lit up, only to find after the update that no such magic has happened.

Hyundai USA is offering free CarPlay and AndroidAuto updates to some car models dating back to 2015 that have a Nav system. I wonder if 2016 and older Cretas don't have the hardware to support Apple CarPlay or is Hyundai India holding back.
Old 14th January 2018, 12:07   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Wouldn't the simplest solution would unbolt the seat from the body, add steel washers (Preferably bushes of 1 inch each) to all 4 bolts, replace bolts with 1 inch longer ones (to compensate for the extra height) and re tighten?

Has anyone tried this because to me that seems to be the simplest solution.
Has anybody tried this? I am having a base model on Creta and desperately looking to increase the seat height!
Old 15th January 2018, 06:41   #2141
BHPian

I have a general query for all .

We bought a new Creta recently which came shod with GY Trip[le max 215/60 R17 tyres .

The car has just done a little under 200 km. On our weekend drive, while driving back from Lavasa, one of the tires just went bust. Could have hit a pothole, or a stone but can't recall anything as such.

Can I claim the no questions asked warranty on a tire that came from the Hyundai Factory? Will GY honor the warranty for these tires as well?
Old 15th January 2018, 07:16   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As far I see on this whole issue, it isn't a manufacturing defect. I would say the brakes feel inadequate as I have experienced this on the Creta before. The ABS does kick in but it isn't confident inspiring. They should have given better brakes for a compact SUV and all discs.
+1

I have experienced this and the braking is surely very average.

It is very evident when one is braking from good speeds with two or three passengers inside. And I am talking about tarmac, not loose surfaces like gravel.

The issue with braking is that one would get accustomed to it over a period of time. So, people who aren't convinced still should try driving some other car for a bit of distance (a short spin won't help) and then hop into the Creta for a drive and do some late braking. The poor braking will be very evident.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 07:40   #2143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Can I claim the no questions asked warranty on a tire that came from the Hyundai Factory? Will GY honor the warranty for these tires as well?
Experienced this with the Ford. I was denied the warranty stating it was caused by going over a sharp object.

Is it a sidewall tear? Manufacturers usually don't encourage sidewall tears. Any deformation/issue with the contact area will be considered - that's what they told me after I went to the tyre manufacturer for inspection.

Car manufacturer will wash their hands off. They will give a letter that we need to give to the tyre manufacturer. Atleast this is what I went through with the Ford. And BTW, my tyre went bust in under 10 days and 100 kms.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:18   #2144
BHPian

The other thing, I've just realized, is the car jack is very cumbersome to use. Especially for someone like my dad, who is 70 yrs old. So on a certain day, if my dad is stranded on the road with a flat tire , there are two things that will be of concern.

One , putting the jack in the right place , assuming that he positions it correctly , it is not easy to use it for someone who is old , so I will be getting him a easier to use jack , like the ones they have in tire shops.

Two, I need to get him a torque wrench with a nice long handle and ensure that the nuts are not over torqued, so on a day when he has to loosen the nuts, he doesn't need to use excessive force to open the nuts

Need pointers for getting a torque wrench. Ready to consider electronic torque wrenches if within a suitable budget.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:37   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Need pointers for getting a torque wrench. Ready to consider electronic torque wrenches if within a suitable budget.
Check motorised products from Emporis; motorised jack & wrench would definitely help. Call them up for availability and possibly demo.

Most Viewed