Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 14:22   #2761
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guess the latest update was on 3rd Feb. You can do this yourself. Enter the details, download the file and follow the instructions.
https://www.map-care.com/
Is this simply a map update or there is also some update to the UI of the AVN? Just want to know coz, as for maps I prefer the Google Maps (via Apple Carplay); hence, if it’s just the one for the maps then I would stay away from this.
Thanks.
Old 29th February 2020, 14:26   #2762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Is this simply a map update or there is also some update to the UI of the AVN? Just want to know coz, as for maps I prefer the Google Maps (via Apple Carplay); hence, if it’s just the one for the maps then I would stay away from this.
Thanks.
Not sure on this as I haven't updated the AVN after the free updates. In those free updates, there were few minor UI changes.

If it's a free update for you, do give it a try. If it's paid, simply skip it.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 10:01   #2763
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Got the AVN update done at the service center itself and now I have Apple carplay and Android Auto.The update took around 20-25 mins and the car was switched on the whole time.It was just plug and play and nothing else was required , once the pendrive was attached to the USB slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20200229_110817.jpg  

shrey25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 23:24   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody else experienced this? The HU is completely non responsive. The car in question is a 2016 Creta 1.6 SX Plus diesel A/T.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-1d774cc77c0b4798b95822192c4440e1.jpeg  

Old 10th March 2020, 21:57   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey25 View Post
Hi Guys,
Got the AVN update done at the service center itself and now I have Apple carplay and Android Auto.The update took around 20-25 mins and the car was switched on the whole time.It was just plug and play and nothing else was required , once the pendrive was attached to the USB slot.
Which Month/Year is your Car?

***Edit - Mods, Please delete this post, was able to get the information from a previous post, thus this post adds no value***

Last edited by amit_2025 : 10th March 2020 at 22:00.
Old 10th March 2020, 22:00   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Which Month/Year is your Car?
It is February, 2017 manufactured.
Old 21st March 2020, 16:55   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are these OEM pads that have been used? EDIT: Looks like pads manufactured by TVS were used (first image TVS logo is seen). Hope the pads were designed for Creta?!

Open the wheel and check the rotors, I think they need cutting to be done once so the whole surface is level.
Thank you! Well spotted, the pads were indeed TVS. They were made for Creta, but were quite squeaky and not clearing out the surface rust on the discs. Fortunately the car was only driven about 500 kms with them on, so they didn't do any permanent damage. Got them swapped for genuine Hyundai-Mobis ones at the dealer right away.

Has any 2017> Creta owner here got the February map update on their car? Does it bring Apple CarPlay to the older AVN units? Cars with February 2017 onwards all came with CarPlay from factory, which is why I'm asking from pre-2017 Creta owners only.
Old 21st March 2020, 17:50   #2768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Has any 2017> Creta owner here got the February map update on their car? Does it bring Apple CarPlay to the older AVN units? Cars with February 2017 onwards all came with CarPlay from factory, which is why I'm asking from pre-2017 Creta owners only.
I had asked this right when I bought the car (July 2015). Initially they said they have no clue on whether this update will ever come. But when the update came, they said earlier models won't support this as it required a different hardware. The only solution is to swap it with the new HU.
Old 11th June 2020, 23:54   #2769
BHPian

Used Petrol Automatic Hyundai Creta

I have been looking for a new car for some time since selling my beloved VW Vento. Was looking for a new car, but the pandemic has brought financial worries that made things difficult given what I wanted, hence decided to go for a used car. I had a small checklist of must haves, have nots and optionals;
Must have: Auto gearbox, high ground clearance, decent boot, budget 10L ( can stretch to 15 if absolutely necessary)
Must not: Diesel engine( after having driven a diesel, that too a cheating VW for many years made me a bit guilty and I decided to not have diesel car, plus issues expected with BS4 diesels with BS6 fuel, etc), Expensive to maintain, Big in size.
Optional: AWD

I had made a thread earlier about my driving requirements but that got merged with another thread so will just repeat in brief. Main driving is in city with fair bit of traffic and narrow lanes. 3-4 times a month venture out in the sticks for my hobbies. Not necessarily off road but places with very bad roads and mild off road. Few times a year long trips on highways, generally Pune-Goa.

Within my budget, the options were very limited and I was going to have to compromise somewhere. In my previous thread, the advice was that I should get a used AWD Duster. Whilst that was a great car, I couldn’t find a well maintained one and it was just too drab on the inside overall anyways. Plus the AWD was manual and diesel. Ecosport was too small in terms of space and the 1.5 petrol auto was a bit wheezy. That left 2 to try. The Compass and the Creta.

The Compass: Found a well maintained petrol auto Jeep Compass in bright red which was priced around 16L. Had done 25k and seemed fine. I test drove it and was disappointed to say the least. The Petrol auto isn't the best combo in the Compass and it just didn’t feel right. The gear changes were jerky and the gear lever required some force to pull it out of P which was a big warning sign.Overall did not feel that the Compass deserved the price premium over the Creta. Decided to give it a miss.

Creta: Having been left with only 1 choice, it was easier to find the right Creta. Found a mid 2017 SX + model with single owner and 25k on the odo. Fully serviced and with no problems. The seller was willing to throw in 2 years extended warranty as well. Test drove it in the city and instantly loved the overall feel. All seemed in order and the seller was a trusted person, hence went ahead and bought it at an acceptable price well within my budget.

The old Creta has been reviewed quite comprehensively and there are numerous posts about it so won’t go in the details. I will mention what I liked and didn’t in the various modes I drove it in.

City: Loved it for the city. Moving from a manual diesel vento with the heavy clutch to an petrol auto was beautiful and justified the car for me in just this one bit. The Creta feels larger than it is(Compass conversely feels smaller) which isn't the best in the city but it is surprisingly nimble with a good turning radius so can manage most small lanes and turns without any issues. The gearbox is very smooth and perfectly tuned for the city. No jerky low gears like in DCTs. The suspension is also much better than the vento in the city and I absolutely do not miss the VW thud over the speed bumps.

Highway: With the lockdown didn’t get much of a trial on the highway. Though did a few 10k runs to-fro work. Feels fine and like I had expected. A bit woolly like a SUV especially round faster bends(I used to be untouchable in my Vento in Lonavala ghat between Mumbai-Pune, don’t think I’m getting anywhere close to that feeling in this, which will be sorely missed). Miss the VWs solid highway manners. Less said about the brakes the better and it has been discussed hundreds of times. Will definitely need to do something there. The gearbox is also happier being used progressively and doesn’t like sudden pushing down of the accelerator pedal and struggles to find the right gear but nothing off putting. It is more of a cruiser than a driving machine.

Off the beaten track: With the lockdown easing a bit, managed to find some time and drove it out of the city to one of my favourite places. I was hoping to give it a bit of a test and boy did it get one. The road was completely dug up in places, very bad in others and non-existent in others. Didn’t take it off road as there was no need to. There were some big slushy mud patches to cross in between as well and some enormous craters.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_072612.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_072640.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_073156.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_100418.jpg
The bad roads, no roads, loose gravelly roads.

Whilst I am under no illusion that the Creta is hopelessly out of place off road, it managed what I threw at it without batting an eyelid. It was far worse that the above photos. Didn't take photos of the bad bits as I was busy driving out of them. I’m used to passing through such stuff with my Vento (read that as superior driving ability), but there were places the other day when I would have thought twice but pushed on with the Creta. And it did not bottom out even once(I hope the guy who bought my Vento doesn’t look at the under body). The good thing about the gearbox is that in manual mode it holds on the gear really well without changing up and that helps with the crawl through slushy stuff. The suspension managed the broken roads well too. I might need better tyres though. It was ok through the steep ghat sections without being great but didn’t struggle. The upside of getting through all this muck is that it gives great photo opportunities at the end of these.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_082205.jpg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-fullsizeoutput_18e.jpeg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-fullsizeoutput_18f.jpeg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-fullsizeoutput_191.jpeg
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_092502.jpg

What I like:
-Great in the city.
-Can manage mild off roading and bad roads
-Comfortable and spacious with good boot space
-HU update brought much needed Android auto
-Like the alloys and tyre size.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_082247.jpg

What I don’t:
-Brakes are bordering on unsafe and I haven’t felt completely confident on highways yet.
-Hate the omissions(autodimming IRVM, autofolding ORVM, No auto lock, Less info and options on MID, no reach adjustment of steering wheel, fewer airbags). Have never understood Hyundai’s reluctance to give auto in the top spec version.
-The HU screen whilst being responsive is utterly hopeless in sunlight with complete glare.
- Parcel shelf rattles over speed bumps and bad roads.
-The weird pointed angle on the front side windows is very off putting for me. I don’t think I have ever seen anything like it. Most are nice and curved to an extent or aren’t this obtuse, that Ive never really even noticed this in cars.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_072700.jpg
-Not the biggest fan of the front end. The 2018 facelift looks better in my opinion but compared to the current version, mine is like Miss Universe.

Upgrades planned: to be spread out over months as per financial situation
1) HU update: Done
2) Brakes: Need some suggetions here. The Brembo upgrade isn’t as great as per some, but ok as per others. Any further options?
3) Auto dimming IRVM
4) Auto folding ORVM
5) Tyres: Still mulling over Bridestone vs Yokohoma (215/60/17)
6) Sensairy TPMS
7) HU and speaker upgrade if possible

Any other worthwhile upgrades that anyone knows? Please feel free to suggest. I don’t care about cosmetic upgrades so don’t bother with those.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20200610_084351.jpg  

Last edited by Amsdoc : 12th June 2020 at 00:04.
Amsdoc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:18   #2770
BHPian

Re: Used Petrol Automatic Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post

Any other worthwhile upgrades that anyone knows? Please feel free to suggest. I don’t care about cosmetic upgrades so don’t bother with those.
Congratulations! Have the same car in same colour. You can find my comments about the driving experience across pages of the petrol automatic review.
1.Non-cosmetically, the only thing I'd fix are the brakes (They simply don't stop the car where it should, especially with people on board) and speakers. Simply things like the horn and lights which need to be upgraded in other cars, are very well sorted in this.
2. I would choose Bridgetone or Yoko. Though I think Michelin 4ST is available at the same price as Bridgestone. But the tyres on your car should last till 50-55k at least.
3. Would be great to know what people are doing about the AT oil in the Creta. Know lots of people with the AT but none have any idea what to do about the oil. AT longetivity depends on timely oil change. Don't think Hyundai ASS knows much about this either
4. I feel this colour is extremely underwhelming now. Hyundai had launched a typhoon silver with the facelift which looks much cooler. Black Cretas look the best

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 12th June 2020 at 00:20.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 08:04   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
1.Non-cosmetically, the only thing I'd fix are the brakes (They simply don't stop the car where it should, especially with people on board) and speakers. Simply things like the horn and lights which need to be upgraded in other cars, are very well sorted in this.
Thanks mate. Any idea of which brake upgrade to go for? The Brembo ones everyone has been talking about? Do you have it? What is your experience?
Old 13th June 2020, 00:39   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Thanks mate. Any idea of which brake upgrade to go for? The Brembo ones everyone has been talking about? Do you have it? What is your experience?
No, I am on stock brakes. I think a4anurag has recorded a not so great output from Brembos. Here in Delhi/ Gurgaon, Dixcel and EBC are popular brands but haven't heard/seen anything on a Creta. Mostly Hondas, VW, Suzuki, Skoda etc.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th June 2020 at 18:36. Reason: Minor typo.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:06   #2773
BHPian

Could someone tell me if this brake pad is worn out?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img20200616wa0002.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img20200616wa0003.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th June 2020 at 19:30. Reason: break > brake
Old 20th June 2020, 13:33   #2774
BHPian

Creta Petrol AT Engine Noise

My 2018 Creta Petrol AT has done 19K in 18 months of ownership. Off late ( since past 5-6 months or may be a little earlier ) I notice that the engine noise has gone up and engine vibrations have also increased. I pointed this out during the third free servicing ( techically second oil change ). The SA said its due to the tappets. Its hydraulically controlled so they can’t do anything about it. But this has been nagging me. It sounds like a diesel. What could be wrong and how to fix this ? Car has been serviced last month. For past 3 months, car is taken out for a 2.5 KM ( start to stop ) run twice a day. But I doubt this pattern of usage has any bearing. Note that on highway runs, quite a few times car has been revved to 6K RPM for quick accelerations. A little futile given the TC. Not sure if this could be a contributing factor. Would appreciate any insights. Link to Videos

Notice that for a brief while I kept the phone on the steering to record the vibrations as well.
Old 20th June 2020, 18:59   #2775
BHPian

Re: Creta Petrol AT Engine Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
My 2018 Creta Petrol AT has done 19K in 18 months of ownership. Off late ( since past 5-6 months or may be a little earlier ) I notice that the engine noise has gone up and engine vibrations have also increased. I pointed this out during the third free servicing ( techically second oil change ). The SA said its due to the tappets. Its hydraulically controlled so they can’t do anything about it. But this has been nagging me.
Notice that for a brief while I kept the phone on the steering to record the vibrations as well.
Too close to the engine bay of any petrol car and this is the kind of sound you hear on idle. Sounds quite normal to me. Try observing if

1.You feel any drop in power.
2. Car gulps extraordinary amount of fuel.
3. You notice engine misfiring when revving high.
4. Any white smoke from the exhaust.

If you observe any such thing raise a alarm to the SA.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks