Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 16:03   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why not fly in the Octavia? If I were you, I'd keep the Octavia 1.8 TSI as my sole highway ride.
OT: We did consider it briefly, but there are two reasons for going with the Polo.

1) We were expecting another couple to join us on the drive, but they had certain unavoidable work-related commitments and hence, couldn't make it. Thus, it made no sense hauling all that metal for two people and two tote bags. (had we stuck to the plan, the Octavia was the car we'd decided upon.)

2) The approach road to this particular home-stay / resort is sketchy and gets extremely narrow in some places (almost as narrow as that bridge you'd come across during your Goa drive ) and it's unavoidable. They say that they're working on it but we were told that the recent spell of rain has created havoc on that stretch! EDIT: It's a crying shame, because about 200 km of the 225 km distance (one way) is as smooth as it gets for an Indian expressway. :(

Oh, and there's a third:

3) This drive marks my 2 years of ownership with the Polo. It calls for a celebration of sorts. My idea is to stretch her legs a bit and pamper her with a round of detailing and maybe even a few mods once we're back.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2017 at 16:43.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:33   #707
BHPian

Quote:
The big diesels chew through their engine mounts rather quickly. Could be the case with the one you drove.
That's the usual case with the V6 and V8 gasoline engines too. The V8 needed the engine and gear mount to be changed every 50,000 kms. And in my current V6, the judder during gear change has increased (in track mode) and get vibration from steering at 65,000 kms.
sooraj.naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:38   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I'm the only person I know who loves Goa for, more than anything else, the food. Aside from the few obvious ones, I've found a few hidden gems around that call me out every once in a while. I personally haven't had a better meal in India than I've had at Blue Bird, this little unassuming place at Mini Vagator, with its owner personally purchasing every single ingredient and preparing the absolute best of anything on the menu. OMG, mouth watering now, haha.
That makes the two of us! I'm a certified foodie and spend more time in restaurants than the beaches/flea markets As brought out by GTO, Goa is a culinary extravaganza for the foodies!! I'll be visiting Goa in Aug this year and will surely raid Da Tita's and Blue Bird. I request you to list out a couple of more such gems for me to explore. Meanwhile jotting down a few recommended eateries which I went to last time (in Candolim):
1. Earthen Oven (N Indian food)
2. Fisherman's Clove (Sea food)
3. Tuscany Gardens (Italian food)
atu2good is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 14:41   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atu2good View Post
That makes the two of us!
Cheers mate!

Quote:
I'll be visiting Goa in Aug this year and will surely raid Da Tita's and Blue Bird.
While you can't go wrong with anything in Blue Bird, my favourites are the Crab Masala, Crab Xacuti, Squid Ambotik and the best-est chocolate mousse cake ever. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Seriously, I just ate, and my mouth is watering just typing this right now!

Quote:
I request you to list out a couple of more such gems for me to explore.
off the top of my head;

1. Blue Bird, Mini Vagator
2. Salt N Pepper, Mini Vagator: Beef Burgers, peppered steak
3. Souza Lobo, Calangute: Squid/Shark Ambotik and their world famous in Goa Ice Cream Crepes.
4. La Plage, Ashwem: the same one that's there in Manali. Lovely, lovely food.

This reminds me, I haven't been there in a while now, and I'll be sure to visit soon:
Quote:
Meanwhile jotting down a few recommended eateries which I went to last time (inCandolim):
1. Earthen Oven (N Indian food)
Also, we're hijacking the shot caller's thread here, so to keep this on topic:
Is the 530D the best car BMW has ever sold in India?

Last edited by ach1lles : 21st May 2017 at 14:44.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 15:04   #710
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Diesel? yes. Apart from the last gen 330d coupe/convertible, nothing comes close to his beast.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 15:27   #711
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
What odo reading are you at now in 2 years?
~ 30,000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The approach road to this particular home-stay / resort is sketchy and gets extremely narrow in some places (almost as narrow as that bridge you'd come across during your Goa drive )
Makes sense then.

Quote:
Earthen Oven (N Indian food)
Quote:
While you can't go wrong with anything in Blue Bird, my favourites are the Crab Masala, Crab Xacuti, Squid Ambotik
Tell you guys a secret. The best vegetarian food is available at places famous for non-veg (I'm a veggie). Saw that in Goa and it's the same in Bombay (kebabs @ Bade Miya, curries @ Goa Portuguesa etc.).

Adding to the list: Momos at Tibchis, Mexican grub at Habanero, Breakfast at German Bakery and chilling at Cafe Lilliput (one of the pics was shot here).

Quote:
Also, we're hijacking the shot caller's thread here, so to keep this on topic:
Hahaha! Nice one.

To me, it's still the best sedan. I'd buy it once more over any other (sedan).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:02   #712
BHPian

Quote:
The 530d was idling its turbo. Immediately switching the engine off after a long run is a big no-no
Impeccable attention to detail, But as a informed car enthusiast you are aware of the subtle attention to detail facts. But there are many who just turn off the engine just like that. Instead of idling, will it not be wise to put it in Start/Stop mode and reduce the idle speed as it may help in reducing fuel burn compared to regular idling ?

Sorry for off topic Question: Do you use distilled water to top up your washer fluid tank along with the special wash liquid ?
Old 24th May 2017, 08:33   #713
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Instead of idling, will it not be wise to put it in Start/Stop mode and reduce the idle speed
The start / stop mode switches the engine off at idle; I wouldn't like to do that to my turbo after a hard run as it's the same as shutting her down. Nope, it doesn't reduce idle speed. There's no manual way to do it in today's cars.

Quote:
Do you use distilled water to top up your washer fluid tank along with the special wash liquid ?
I use plain water in the 5-liter windshield washer tank.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:58   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The start / stop mode switches the engine off at idle; I wouldn't like to do that to my turbo after a hard run as it's the same as shutting her down.k.
I understand if the turbo is too hot, the start/stop will be deactivated
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:33   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I have noticed the same, After driving in sports mode/Driving hard, The engine does not switch off if you stop, Also the start stop sign on the instrument cluster comes up with a cross over it showing the system is unavailable, So i suppose the car won't use this feature when the turbo is hot, However i have noticed if you were cruising around 90-100kph in the highest gear & if you stop, The system kicks in, Even though being in the highest gear at relatively lower RPM this should be safe, But still i am not very comfortable with that as well, All of this thinking/Assuming can be thrown out of the window with just the system Switched OFF ! The fuel saved with the system on is not worth risking the life of your engine/Turbo.

Sorry for the back to back post, Edit time had already lapsed.

This is what shows when the auto start stop doesn't kick in even when it's activated after driving with a heavy foot.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495614408.952832.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2017 at 09:16. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:12   #716
BHPian

Wow, Sir, take a bow. Logged in after a long time and this was a pleasant surprise. Congrats on completing two years with The Beast. Fabulous writeup, as informative as it gets while being interesting to read at the same time! This inspires me to write about the two years we spent with our Fiesta as well, time flies.

Incidentally, I spotted the red Thar a year ago as well and kept clicking on photos until I was asked by the authorities about my intentions. To that, I simply replied that I was just appreciating the Jeep and politely asked them if they could give me a small ride. They refused, unfortunately!

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:07   #717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Oh that's very cool!

Though I guess it goes by overall engine temperature, as keeping the engine running will not only keep the turbo spooling and oil circulating, but also the entire cooling system running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
However i have noticed if you were cruising around 90-100kph in the highest gear & if you stop, The system kicks in, Even though being in the highest gear at relatively lower RPM this should be safe, But still i am not very comfortable with that as well
Not a major concern, as cruising at high speeds in high gear (low RPM), the engine / turbo aren't under a lot of load AND the cooling system is working super-well with the forced airflow
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 10:42   #718
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The art of detailing

Enjoy the reflection!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

Because she just completed 2 years with me (and will be 4 soon), I thought I’ll pamper her a bit. The 530d went to Pervez @ Mazda Motors…a MASTER when it comes to all things paint. Related Thread:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg

On the menu was exterior + interior detailing and also removing all the nicks, scratches & dents…which are inevitable after spending 4 years in Bombay. He did an incredible job:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

She’s looking as good as the day I brought her home:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3b.jpg

The only time I’ve seen 5 people working on my car:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

Final wash. Dude had some attention-to-detail. He was busy with the pressure wash for 2 hours!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg

18” rims looking tasty:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-6.jpg

Pressurised air to remove water from all the nooks & crannies on the body:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-7.jpg

I had a two-wheeler scratch this fender. Scratch has vanished without a trace…and without painting. Detailers call the process “cutting” (he was explaining how he did it with some 2k / 1k Standox mumbo jumbo):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-8.jpg

Got to love that reflection! Moderator Vid6639 always gave me grief about the swirl marks on my bonnet (guessing the previous owner didn’t use microfiber cloth!!). It’s the first time that my car is without any swirl marks – they were there even when I took delivery & neither Kamyo nor 3M could remove them. First thing I got out of this place, I sent Viddy a pic. He visited my place yesterday; first thing he did after walking into my building was lift the cover and carefully study the bonnet . Watchman was wondering who this strange fellow is!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-9b.jpg

Cabin is new too. I’m told they spent 1.5 days on the interiors alone:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-10.jpg

An area that had gotten particularly messy due to the light colour & soiled hands. It’s clean again:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-11.jpg

You’ll always spot interesting cars at Pervez’s place. Here’s a 2-door E30:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-13.jpg

An almost new 7-Series waiting for a full paint job (change of colour). Me & the owner of this car have two things in common – both our Bimmers are ‘carbon black’….and both of us don’t like that shade!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-14.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-15.jpg

An Alfa Romeo 2600 Coupe!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-15b.jpg

A ’46 Buick 8, Karl says:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-15c.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-15d.jpg

The paint booth:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-16.jpg

Colour matching is done at another office of theirs (sister concern called Ahura Spray Tec)…down to the last drop of the recipe to exactly match a car’s shade:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-17.jpg

Temperature controlled too:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-18.jpg

These are the two options to be given to the 7-Series owner:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-19.jpg

Colour choices for his rims:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20.jpg

Can’t escape seeing some pristine ‘parsi-owned’ machinery at a Parsi’s place!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-22.jpg

Guess someone liked my bumper sticker:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-22b.jpg
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 11:00   #719
Team-BHP Support

Wow that looks great! I'm guessing the did the cutting on your full car to get rid of the swirl marks completely? BTW that's an E21 I believe, not an E30
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 11:27   #720
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Wow that looks great!
Thanks! Remember how I always told you that I'll give Kamyo & 3M an 8/10 rating and that 10/10 detailing doesn't exist in Bombay? It does now. Mazda has clearly upped their game. While I sent my C220 to him several times and he always did an excellent job, the experience this time blew me away. Viddy - an especially technical person when it comes to detailing - agreed that this detailing job is as good as it gets.

Quote:
I'm guessing the did the cutting on your full car to get rid of the swirl marks completely?
Umm, no clue man. I just like a clean & shiny car. Didn't ask too many technical details about the job done.

Quote:
BTW that's an E21 I believe, not an E30
No buddy, the E21 is quite different.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed