Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2018, 01:36   #961
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

This does not look like a car that is nearing 5. Carbon Black is my favorite.

Kudos to your writing skills, I could feel this torque monster as if I am driving it and could make every sense of its tagline "Sheer driving pleasure". I envy you for the variety you have in your garage, a Beemer and a Jeep!!!

Thanks to a dear friend, I almost owned an older 2007 X5 4.8l V8 Petrol during my USA days and it was such a hoot to drive. Everytime I was behind the wheel, I used to have a wide grin plastered all over my face. We had that monster with us for an year and after that when I was in the market for a used car for myself, none of the options were satisfying as I was spoilt by the power and luxury of the X5.

But driving a hardcore Jeep is still a distant dream!!!
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 09:20   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No man. You still get something. My 9.xx year old C220 with 1 lakh km on the odo got 5.5 lakhs (IIRC) which is 20% of what I paid for her. Despite being a 6-speed MT (luxury car owners prefer AT) and wearing MH-15 plates in MH-01 Bombay.
That's a decent deal. I have observed that Mercs get slightly better valuation than Bimmers or even Audis.

A cousin was telling me how he regrets keeping his Q5 for 8+ years now as the offer he is getting just doesn't justify selling now.

Quote:
Again, no man . You can sell / buy a 5 year old 530d for 25 lakhs which is more like ~35% of the original price.
Actually, I sold my 320d in 4th year (It's a sin, I know) for 60% of the buying price. But I agree about the pricing of 5 years old car to be around 35-40% for high end cars (5 and above). Selling between 4th and 5th year could fetch 45-50% for 3 series or alike.

Quote:
If I sell my 530d today, I'm guessing I will get 28 - 30 lakhs (still have lots of warranty left, it's a company-registered car etc.). Now, after another 5 years, I'll easily get 15 lakhs for it (Sahil sold his 9 year old E60 525d for 12 lakhs IIRC).

We should start a new thread on this. But I will say this: In 95% of the situations, it will be significantly cheaper to hold onto your existing car than buying a new one (because of depreciation).
That's really a good resale price. If that is the case with most of the Bimmers then it makes sense to hold on them for 8-9 years at least.

Quote:
Best solution = keep buying pre-worshipped .
Totally agree. However, I can't let go of that new car buying experience.

Quote:
- I always park it myself in the space made available for me.
I do it too unless it is someplace that I know has good valet drivers. I seldom allow valet of holiday resorts to park my car and this also surprises my family. They are like: you just drove 500kms and still want to drive it yourself to the parking?

Quote:
- Charity. Valets make like minimum wage, man.
True. And one can imagine how boring the job can get after a while so a good tip can help to reduce that stress and boredom.

Quote:
Now compare that to someone keying my car in a lonely backlane and that costing me 20,000 - 40,000 bucks in repairs + heartache + car off the road for 10 days!
I know some people who go to high flying restaurants and park their car on street to save 50 tip or parking fees. Unreal.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 28th August 2018 at 09:23.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:37   #963
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
I am happy to share that I am on my 4th Pre-Owned car and will keep Following this "Guru Mantra" till I can (unless the Mrs. Overrules it)
Great to hear Jimmy! Am sure the Laura is treating you very well. Now, what next are you going to upgrade to . Would suggest a Jetta, or a straight jump to the 320d. If you want to cruise, get a pre-worshipped Camry Hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramji_or View Post
Kudos to your writing skills, I could feel this torque monster as if I am driving it and could make every sense of its tagline "Sheer driving pleasure". I envy you for the variety you have in your garage, a Beemer and a Jeep!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's a decent deal. I have observed that Mercs get slightly better valuation than Bimmers or even Audis.
The charm of the 3-pointer is irresistible, I guess.

Quote:
They are like: you just drove 500kms and still want to drive it yourself to the parking?

Quote:
I know some people who go to high flying restaurants and park their car on street to save 50 tip or parking fees. Unreal.
Penny wise, pound foolish IMHO.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:57   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Yup, BKC is a prime example of this. Luxury vehicles illegally parked on the street right outside the Jio parking lot, to save INR 20 for an hour. Absolutely ridiculous.

Apologies for
phoenixash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 11:32   #965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

These BMWs are damn good. Sahil never had any serious issues with his car. Even my C220 was amazing in its final run with us. Just the midlife was the worst.

Agreed. My belief is simple. Paying 50 - 100 bucks gives me:

- Peace of the mind.

- A premium parking spot. No walking or roaming around in the area.

- I always park it myself in the space made available for me.

- Charity. Valets make like minimum wage, man.

Now compare that to someone keying my car in a lonely backlane and that costing me 20,000 - 40,000 bucks in repairs + heartache + car off the road for 10 days!
Yup, my 5 didn't give any serious trouble even though we kept it for nearly 8 years and 1 lakh kms. The BSI pack also helped us gain our confidence back in Germans that were boycotted pretty much for a few years after the hideous C180 experiences.
Such was the effect for the 525d that now 70% of our family garage are germans.
Ironically, the guy that bought my 525d 3 years ago contacted me last week as he saw my ad for our 2009 520d for sale. When I met him he said, your 525d served me so well, I have made a mistake selling it hence I am back here to buy your 520d

Also, I completely live by your valet philosophy. Self park but tip better than valet parking. At places I frequent, the valet guys are eager to provide a spot. I am always generous with my tips but it does vary depending on the spot they give me

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixash View Post
Yup, BKC is a prime example of this. Luxury vehicles illegally parked on the street right outside the Jio parking lot, to save INR 20 for an hour. Absolutely ridiculous.

Apologies for
Those cars are most likely being parked by the valet of Yautcha, Nara, CinCin,etc. I highly doubt anyone pulling up in their XJ,S,5er,etc are looking to save 20 bucks or even going to Jio garden for a stroll in the middle of the day or night.

Last edited by Sahil : 28th August 2018 at 11:33.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:14   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Ironically, the guy that bought my 525d 3 years ago contacted me last week as he saw my ad for our 2009 520d for sale. When I met him he said, your 525d served me so well, I have made a mistake selling it hence I am back here to buy your 520d
I feel this guys pain! The E60 525D was a gem of a car, and I really miss ours! The F30 328i with more power and smaller size still can't match the smile I had driving the brilliantly balanced 5 series 9 years into ownership!

Interestingly, the chap who bought mine was working on a few mods when I spoke to him last - after market suspension, engine tune, etc. Safe to expect the F10 5 series to be equally reliable looking at a bulk of the reviews.

@GTO: Spotted your car at Chowpatty yesterday afternoon through Pedder Road. Car was looking fantastic, and kudos to you managing to drive so smoothly over the many bumps!
I was in my gray etios - did flash and honk a couple of times only to realize you were with you family. Apologies for that.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 04:26   #967
BHPian

She has clocked 30k Kms, 4 years. I still prefer the look of this model versus the new 5. Will need to replace engine mounts pretty soon. BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536015337.329956.jpgBMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536015353.537085.jpgBMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1536015375.939937.jpg
ashishkashyap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:55   #968
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The E60 525D was a gem of a car, and I really miss ours!
Something about the Germans. I still miss my 6-speed MT C220.

Quote:
@GTO: Spotted your car at Chowpatty yesterday afternoon through Pedder Road. Car was looking fantastic, and kudos to you managing to drive so smoothly over the many bumps!
Hey thanks! Sorry I missed you - would have loved to meet after so many forum interactions! Added some new songs over the weekend, so music was on full blast .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
I still prefer the look of this model versus the new 5.
Likewise! No offence to G30 owners, but I don't like its front end at all (ditto with most new BMWs).

The F10 will age like the E39 & W124. It's super clean & proportionate.

Quote:
Will need to replace engine mounts pretty soon
I tried to get mine changed after hearing about so many F10s needing new engine mounts (as a Gujarati, I will make full use of my warranty ), but was told by Maverick5490 that my mounts are just fine.

Your car's looking fantastic and good taste in music, dude. I love that generation of rock too (U2, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Def Leppard, Nirvana etc.).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 11:25   #969
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On the brand loyalty thread, I posted:

Quote:
I have to admit that, whenever I'm looking for my next luxury car, I'll give BMW some brownie points because:

- Their engine + gearbox tuning is the best. Very revv-happy, fast & precise. BMW has an edge on Mercedes & Audi in this area (Lexus & Jaguar aren't even close).

- BMW is the most reliable German brand (second only to Lexus among luxury cars).

- A BHPian - Maverick5490 - is a senior guy at a Mumbai dealer. There's just a comfort level that comes with sending your car to a BHPian.
Am going to add a 4th point to the list - generous warranty replacements.

My 6-year extended warranty has more than paid for itself. When I got the car home, the passenger-side vanity mirror was broken by the previous owner. Without my even asking for it, BMW replaced it under warranty at a service visit. Water leakage issue? Fixed under warranty. At the last service, I'd pointed out that the inner door handles had worn out prematurely. BMW covered 70% of their replacement cost under warranty which I thought is fair.

Now, I noticed that the car was cranking a bit slowly. Happened on two separate occasions & I knew that the 5-year old stock battery is on the way out (I've never had any OEM battery last 5 years).

Sent it over to Maverick @ Infinity. Battery replaced under warranty . Took an overnight visit as the battery needs to be reprogrammed (it's not just a plug & play like regular cars).

I've read other posts from BHPians who've said that BMW gives 'no questions asked' warranty replacements. Am experiencing it firsthand.

If you buy a BMW, be sure to pick the 6-year warranty. Don't even think twice. If they offer a 7 year option tomorrow - as some other manufacturers are - just go for it.

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2018 at 11:26.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 11:38   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Am going to add a 4th point to the list - generous warranty replacements.

I've read other posts from BHPians who've said that BMW gives 'no questions asked' warranty replacements. Am experiencing it firsthand.

If you buy a BMW, be sure to pick the 6-year warranty. Don't even think twice. If they offer a 7 year option tomorrow - as some other manufacturers are - just go for it.
They are good at not just warranty replacement, but even at out of warranty replacements as goodwill.

BMW India replaced my earlier car's steering rack assembly for almost free (90%) even though the car was out of warranty.

However, I do feel some credit goes to the dealer as well. The dealer here is Pune is really good and has efficient staff who helped to get the support from BMW India on time.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th September 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Typo
the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 14:24   #971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now, I noticed that the car was cranking a bit slowly. Happened on two separate occasions & I knew that the 5-year old stock battery is on the way out (I've never had any OEM battery last 5 years).

Sent it over to Maverick @ Infinity. Battery replaced under warranty . Took an overnight visit as the battery needs to be reprogrammed (it's not just a plug & play like regular cars).
I am surprised that they replaced the battery. Is it anyway related to the fact that the said Bhpian works there and also would have conveyed the ownership details to the dealership. They would definitely want to keep the forum moderator pleased. I remember reading in another thread sometime back when a senior Bhpian had to pay for battery replacement for his X1 in Gurgaon.

Also there was some premature wearing out of the leather on the steering wheel which turned out to be just entrapped dutlst due to the surgical gloves that we wear. But the dealership attitude at Bird Gurgaon was not encouraging even though my car was only 2 years old and covered under BSI Ultimate till 5 years.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 15:14   #972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am surprised that they replaced the battery. Is it anyway related to the fact that the said Bhpian works there and also would have conveyed the ownership details to the dealership. They would definitely want to keep the forum moderator pleased. I remember reading in another thread sometime back when a senior Bhpian had to pay for battery replacement for his X1 in Gurgaon.

Also there was some premature wearing out of the leather on the steering wheel which turned out to be just entrapped dutlst due to the surgical gloves that we wear. But the dealership attitude at Bird Gurgaon was not encouraging even though my car was only 2 years old and covered under BSI Ultimate till 5 years.
BMW mostly honours Battery replacement unless there is an adverse driver profile. I have got mine changed on X6 twice in 5th Year and then in 8th -outside warranty but within 10 Year Service pack without any charge. At the same time, due to some marketing-related reasons, One Dealer raised an invoice for my 4-Month-old 7 series citing non-usage. Of course, that was wrong and they corrected.

Bird had issues with SA before but off-late they are doing good. If you still have any complaints, drop me a PM and I will connect you to their service head.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th September 2018 at 15:16.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 17:36   #973
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am surprised that they replaced the battery.
Have heard of many similar cases, so it's not unique. But yes, I have heard of warranty being extended more to owners of high-end cars (e.g. 5-Series & 7-Series) than entry level like the X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have got mine changed on X6 twice in 5th Year and then in 8th -outside warranty but within 10 Year Service pack without any charge.
Wow! Considering the cost of the battery is ~40 grand, that must be quite a sweetener.
Old 20th September 2018, 11:53   #974
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to the Long-Term Ownership Section!

Thank you for making this the 3rd-most viewed ownership review on Team-BHP. Only Gannu's epic Polo GT ownership report & Jaggu's Swift review are ahead (not counting Official Reviews here).

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:41   #975
BHPian

Hi Rush,
Have you changed the brake unit on your vehicle in any of the services? What would be the typical costs involved?
My E350 is with MB for annual service and they are trying to sell me the service plan with the rationale that the third service will be a major service and the brake disc and pads would be changed at a cost of INR 1.2 lacs and a probable change of the transmission oil which would be 75k. So just undecided whether to go for that?
I know you haven't taken the service plan for the 530D. In hindsight has the decision played out well for you or would you have rather taken the plan?
Regards,
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks