Team-BHP - Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/167791-why-did-i-buy-12-year-old-toyota-corolla-my-experience-12.html)

Hi Guys,

I am not happy with the high beam of my 2006 Corolla and I want good upgrade/change the high beam bulb for highway riding. I don't want to block the vision of the oncoming traffic with the headlight, since I myself get irritated with some headlights while driving. What is the recommended bulb for my purpose.

I am a noob when it comes to lighting. Please help.

Thanks.
KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 4109388)
Hi Guys,

I am not happy with the high beam of my 2006 Corolla and I want good upgrade/change the high beam bulb for highway riding. I don't want to block the vision of the oncoming traffic with the headlight, since I myself get irritated with some headlights while driving. What is the recommended bulb for my purpose.

I am a noob when it comes to lighting. Please help.

Thanks.
KK

Hello! I upgraded my Corolla's bulbs in August. I have got Philips Xtreme vision. 55W and 60W. The low beams are 4300k and high beams 3350(or 3300K) don't remember exactly. I got the set of 4 bulbs for 1.9k. Have used them during monsoon and numerous night drives. The throw is miles ahead of the stock setup. But to be frank just upgrading the bulbs isn't going to be of any help. I really think we need auxiliary lights for our typical highway traffic which is on high beam 90% of the time. Or maybe better fog lamps to light up the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4109415)
Hello! I upgraded my Corolla's bulbs in August. I have got Philips Xtreme vision. 55W and 60W. The low beams are 4300k and high beams 3350(or 3300K) don't remember exactly. I got the set of 4 bulbs for 1.9k. Have used them during monsoon and numerous night drives. The throw is miles ahead of the stock setup.

Thanks for the revert Asit. Could you help me with the links or exact name. I am getting lost in so many options the search is throwing viz., H4, HB4 etc. etc.

Also could you tell if these bulbs block the vision of the oncoming traffic.

Quote:

But to be frank just upgrading the bulbs isn't going to be of any help. I really think we need auxiliary lights for our typical highway traffic which is on high beam 90% of the time. Or maybe better fog lamps to light up the road.
ok. May be I will do it in installments, first I will get the high & low beams and then go for fog lights. Any recommendations for the fog lights.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4109415)
Hello! I upgraded my Corolla's bulbs in August. I have got Philips Xtreme vision. 55W and 60W. The low beams are 4300k and high beams 3350(or 3300K) don't remember exactly. I got the set of 4 bulbs for 1.9k. Have used them during monsoon and numerous night drives. The throw is miles ahead of the stock setup. But to be frank just upgrading the bulbs isn't going to be of any help. I really think we need auxiliary lights for our typical highway traffic which is on high beam 90% of the time. Or maybe better fog lamps to light up the road.

Hi Asit,

Can you provide me the links of the ones you bought for high & low beam.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 4111937)
Hi Asit,

Can you provide me the links of the ones you bought for high & low beam.

KK

Hey,

Sorry for the delay. The bulbs have the hb3 and hb4 configuration. I am not sure which is the low beam and which is the high beam. I got mine locally and they are the xtreme vision.

Asit

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4112042)
Hey,

Sorry for the delay. The bulbs have the hb3 and hb4 configuration. I am not sure which is the low beam and which is the high beam. I got mine locally and they are the xtreme vision.

Asit

Ok thanks. HB3 is high beam and HB4 is low beam. I will check out xtreme vision.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4112042)
Hey,

Asit

Hi Asit,

Finally I replaced the bulbs with Xtreme Vision for low beam and Cryastal vision for high beam today. I am yet to test it during the night.

When I put the high beam, both low and high beams light up. Is this how it is supposed to be?

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 4116400)
Hi Asit,

Finally I replaced the bulbs with Xtreme Vision for low beam and Cryastal vision for high beam today. I am yet to test it during the night.

When I put the high beam, both low and high beams light up. Is this how it is supposed to be?

KK

Yes sir that's how it works for my car too. I guess even my high beams are crystal vision. The light throw is very impressive.

Older corolla's are built Rock Solid and very stable on highways.

I did a 1400km Bangalore-Goa run this long weekend and enjoyed every bit of driving my corolla. Very stable and comfortable on highways. I was able to maintain constant 110-120 without any complain from car. Also the passengers were happy and not complaining too much after the long ride.

Absolutely rock solid is the word. There is no floating feeling and the car is so planted at good speeds and the comfort from seats, ride quality and air con are great. The mileage is also very good on highway drives.

I did a Chennai Valparai trip last year and it was fantastic. I LOVE my Corolla.

Swami

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 4140086)
Absolutely rock solid is the word. There is no floating feeling and the car is so planted at good speeds and the comfort from seats, ride quality and air con are great. The mileage is also very good on highway drives.

I did a Chennai Valparai trip last year and it was fantastic. I LOVE my Corolla.

Swami

agree:

In fact, your thread alone made me to consider Corolla (actually I didn't know that I can get Corolla at such prices) and got my 2006 Corolla in Sep 2016 at 45k ODO and till this date I have clocked close to 20k KMs and more than happy with the car. This car is built to last.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 4140476)
agree:

In fact, your thread alone made me to consider Corolla (actually I didn't know that I can get Corolla at such prices) and got my 2006 Corolla in Sep 2016 at 45k ODO and till this date I have clocked close to 20k KMs and more than happy with the car. This car is built to last.

KK

I got a similar deal. 2007 model done 46k Kms in nov 2015. I have clocked about 24k Kms since I got the car. It's mainly used for highway trips. The high speed stability, ride quality and fuel economy make it a brilliant combo. I plan to keep her till the RTO asks me to take her off the road.

I noticed yesterday that my corolla needs windshield wiper replacements. I am planning to put Bosch wipers in my car but having difficulty identifying the correct fit.

Owner's manual is also not helpful in this regard. Which is the correct size for corolla windshield wipers ?

Attaching an image with sizes mentioned for most of the cars in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek.ks (Post 4162783)
I noticed yesterday that my corolla needs windshield wiper replacements. I am planning to put Bosch wipers in my car but having difficulty identifying the correct fit.

Owner's manual is also not helpful in this regard. Which is the correct size for corolla windshield wipers ?

IIRC the RHS driver side wiper is 24" and passenger side is 18".

Unless your wiper blades and arms are damaged or out of alignment I'd recommend you just change the rubber squeegee that you'd be able to buy at any Toyota ASC.

I've tried Bosch and Hella wipers on my 9G and 10G Corolla/Corolla Altis. They squeak and judder. Also, they can't match the OEM part for streak free cleaning of the windshield. No way I am using 3rd party wipers on my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4162784)
IIRC the RHS driver side wiper is 24" and passenger side is 18".

Unless your wiper blades and arms are damaged or out of alignment I'd recommend you just change the rubber squeegee that you'd be able to buy at any Toyota ASC.

I've tried Bosch and Hella wipers on my 9G and 10G Corolla/Corolla Altis. They squeak and judder. Also, they can't match the OEM part for streak free cleaning of the windshield. No way I am using 3rd party wipers on my car.

Thanks for providing sizes. Only the rubber wipe is damaged for now. I will get them replaced in ASC

Regarding squeak, I have noticed this in my i10 as well where Bosch wipers are working. Though cleaning action is good, the squeak at the end causes irritation.