Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2016, 14:58   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience

^^only the doors lock and unlock buttons will work.

The boot open option isn't enabled .

I haven't tried the fourth button ; that might be the vehicle finder( yellow lights flash when the button is pressed)
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 10:33   #122
BHPian

Fist of all apologies to swami69 for hijacking his thread. I thought of updating in this thread, since this thread has become a common visiting place for Corolla owners.

While on way to my native on 11th June, Saturday, at Dabaspet there is a fly over which goes towards Tumkur and we have to take below the fly over to take a deviation to my native place. So, while driving below the flyover, a biker came suddenly from inside a small cross below flyover in high speed (visibility in cross below the flyover is very bad since it is covered by flyover walls) and by the time I applied hard brake I had hit him and he fell down with his bike. Thank god, he was not at all hurt and his bike had some impact of the hit. Since, we were with a bigger vehicle crowd gathered and had to pay him some money to let us move and since we had a meeting to attend in my native, had to move on.

Now, not sure how, but the impact on the car bumper and grill was much more than the impact on two wheeler .

Had a cut in the bumper and also on the chrome of the grill. I decided to claim insurance for replacement since there was already some scratches on both sides of the bumper (also I have a NCB certificate for 25% from my car sold last year so no worries on losing NCB). Got the bumper and grill replaced at Nandi Toyota Kanakapura Road Bangalore and Rs. 12,963 (not included painting in this) and grill costed Rs. 12,343 including all taxes. Total bill was Rs. 32,727. There was no tie up, and I paid the full amount. Would come to know today on the amount I can recover from insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience-img_20160611_095310127_hdr.jpg  

Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience-img_20160611_095250002_hdr.jpg  

Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience-img_20160611_140920527_hdr.jpg  

Old 20th June 2016, 10:33   #123
BHPian

Yes, @Vigsom you are right, i got my key shell and cover on the weekend. Unfortunately what i wanted to do did not happen so the initial idea has flopped. The replacement key shell rubber pad button size is different from the original so i can just put the replacement rubber pad in original remote key. Saw couple of videos on you tube post which, i have removed the transmitter from the old keys and put them in the new keys. Also i have put a spare key along with it to start the car for now. Next i would probably get to go to a key maker and get the new key prepared as per the original.

Any good key makers recommended in areas around HSR, Kormanagala, Sarjapur. As i do not want to take a risk of giving to someone who is not well versed with these jobs.

Posting a picture of the same.
Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience-keys-latest.jpg

Actually i also was not able to find any current running thread for old corollas where we can continue discussion. So if Swami69 gives his consent, i would request to use this thread for discussion, as with the amount of work done by him and few others on their cars in this thread. In terms of repairs and running the car they are veterans now and we can really learn a lot from each other and with the information posted here.

Last edited by Dushie : 20th June 2016 at 10:41.
Old 20th June 2016, 16:53   #124
BHPian

Quick update, got my tyres changed today @ Madhus, the experience was really good. For the left hand mirror is there anywhere where i can get just the assembly as the mirror is working fine without any issues. The assembly on which it sits is broken from the bottom and needs to be changed. Also got the horn checked he said the plate on the horn has become loose. Hence the vibration. Only option to replace the same. Looking for a good horn to swap the same with any suggestions for a decent horn. Also Has anyone installed the rear parking sensors on the car. Any suggestions which one to go for. locally i checked they said plain sensor system is Rs 2300. With screen and camera is 4.5k, with screen and Bluetooth is 5.5k you can watch movies also on the same.

Last edited by Dushie : 20th June 2016 at 16:54.
Old 20th June 2016, 17:04   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Quick update, got my tyres changed today @ Madhus, the experience was really good. For the left hand mirror is there anywhere where i can get just the assembly as the mirror is working fine without any issues. The assembly on which it sits is broken from the bottom and needs to be changed. Also got the horn checked he said the plate on the horn has become loose. Hence the vibration. Only option to replace the same. Looking for a good horn to swap the same with any suggestions for a decent horn. Also Has anyone installed the rear parking sensors on the car. Any suggestions which one to go for. locally i checked they said plain sensor system is Rs 2300. With screen and camera is 4.5k, with screen and Bluetooth is 5.5k you can watch movies also on the same.
Dushie,

Can we see your car now ?

Please post details of Tyres upgraded and amount paid. I am also looking for upgrade of all 4 in my corolla.

I am also looking for a good 2 din media player with USB/Bluetooth Calling features integrated. Any suggestions ?
Old 20th June 2016, 17:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Dushie,

I am also looking for a good 2 din media player with USB/Bluetooth Calling features integrated. Any suggestions ?
Don't have suggestions on the head unit, but I may look at replacing in the next few months on my Corolla. So, I may wait for your decision .

You may have to ensure that head unit is compatible with steering controls.
Old 20th June 2016, 18:56   #127
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Got the bumper and grill replaced at Nandi Toyota Kanakapura Road Bangalore and Rs. 12,963 (not included painting in this) and grill costed Rs. 12,343 including all taxes. Total bill was Rs. 32,727. There was no tie up, and I paid the full amount. Would come to know today on the amount I can recover from insurance.
Did I read it right?? 12.5k for the grill. I know the whole bumper is expensive but the grill for this Corolla is outrageously priced.

BTW the damage was not very extensive, you could have easily got it rectified at any FNG at very nominal price.
Old 21st June 2016, 13:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Did I read it right?? 12.5k for the grill. I know the whole bumper is expensive but the grill for this Corolla is outrageously priced.

BTW the damage was not very extensive, you could have easily got it rectified at any FNG at very nominal price.
Yes the spares for some parts are really expensive, the car i bought has a damaged left mirror. Replacement part cost from Toyota is coming up to 7.5 k. Only the assembly has damage, the mirror still functions fine. I am looking out for alternatives myself to get that fixed.

Quote:
Dushie,

Please post details of Tyres upgraded and amount paid. I am also looking for upgrade of all 4 in my corolla.

I bought the below tyres. Only catch is they are old manufacturing 2012-13, i did not want to spend too much as my driving would be less than 250 kms a month, so went for them, have installed the same at Madhus and the service was excellent. Also the existing tyres they replaced were over 10 years old.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/apol...5-91/836604953

I was not getting any good deals on the 205/60/R15 size less than 25k in the local market. So post going through the pros and cons went for them.

Last edited by Dushie : 21st June 2016 at 14:15.
Old 21st June 2016, 14:46   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post

Yup it is bit expensive, may be because it has chrome in it. I know the damage was not much, but thought that i would get it at 6k (50% insurance), might as well get a new look and enjoy at least new spares in an old car .

Quote:
Dushie,

I got Yoko Earth 1 and have done 10.5k Km till now and am very happy with its performance and its wet grip is also good. Overall a good choice.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 21st June 2016 at 14:49. Reason: Added one more reply
Old 21st June 2016, 16:42   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also looking for a good 2 din media player with USB/Bluetooth Calling
The Kenwood 415BT or Pioneer 2890BT might be your best bet if you are looking for a touchscreen unit

On the tyres , I would suggest Yokohama Earth1 195/60R15 in stock size.they would cost you 20-21k for a set if 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
The assembly on which it sits is broken from the bottom and needs to be changed.
If the mounting with the car door is intact , and the mirror cover is fine , suggest it be left as is.

Aftermarket mirror(complete assembly) for the old Corolla costs 3.6k in Pudupet Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Got the bumper and grill replaced.
As expected , a rip off at Toyota if one goes the insurance route.

The grille costs 3k in GP Road Chennai ; bumper could.have been easily repaired and repainted for 4k max.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st June 2016 at 16:57. Reason: Addition
Old 7th July 2016, 00:19   #131
BHPian

Earth 1 are too noisy. I have them on my corolla, in stock size.
I'd suggest XM2 in that price range.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 00:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
This confused me even more. I am supposed to buy 2 new tyres tomorrow and Earth 1 was on top of my list.

Had considered XM2 but want to stay away from Michelin after my previous Michelin Primacy LC had a bad cut on sidewall.
Old 7th July 2016, 08:28   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
How many KMs you completed on Earth 1. This is surprising to me as well. I have done 11k KMs on Earth 1 stock size and feel it is not that noisy. Only if you are cruising in 100s and lower the window you may hear some noise.

In fact I am liking Earth 1 as against the stock Turanza which came. I know it may not be as silent as XM2 but Earth 1 is more VFM with strong side walls compared to XM2. That way I would suggest Earth 1.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 7th July 2016 at 08:30.
Old 8th July 2016, 21:49   #134
BHPian

I am using pirelli cinturato and am satisfied with its performance
Old 13th July 2016, 10:26   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post

Other observations :

The left headlight had condensation and Lanson cleaned it using air and they said, it will again come up. They further said, there is no way you can avoid as there is something wrong and I need to replace it. I checked through the Internet God - Google/YouTube for any remedies. There were few to identify the cracks etc., Last week, I removed the bumper with a help of my friend, removed the head light, removed all the bulbs, poured water - NO LEAKS ! So, what is causing the condensation ? no answer. While doing that, I noticed that there were 3 ventilation plugs for each of those barrels. Without even knowing what was it, I just removed the plugs and something like a dirty tablet came out of all three - Mud and dirt. I cleaned them up and put everything back together logically thinking that this blockage in the ventilator is probably causing the problem i.e., there is no escape path for the condensation or moisture. Praying, I put everything back, drove for few kms from then on, and NO CONDENSATION !! gone. Not sure, why I could not find this Ventilator clean up tip anywhere in the internet. If someone had mentioned this, I would have first tested it by just removing it without going through the pain of removing the bumper, headlight, pouring water etc., anyway, i hope it stays like this

Hi! I had come across your story at a very crucial stage of the whole dilemma I had when I was in the market to purchase a car in April this year. The Civic or the Corolla. Eventually, I went ahead for the most sold car on the planet and a car that my dad swears by. His Corolla (Tourist one w/ a yellow No. plate) had done 225,000 kms all over India is a feat in itself, especially when a different chauffeur would drive it every other week.

I have one problem though, my headlight fog's up. I have upgraded the standard headlight to the '9705' & '9706' bulbs. I think it is after that my headlight started fogging up. I was thinking of going to open the headlamp, clean it and then use the transparent bond to seal the thing up, but then I suddenly remembered reading your post and that you had done something to the headlight.

Is it possible to request you to please help me out with a few pictures of the process that you have explained above? I cannot seem to find the ventilator tip which you have mentioned in the post.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
DM99

Most Viewed