Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 17:50   #361
BHPian

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
After getting knocked down, do you have any plans to get up and whop SCross 1.6? LOL!
As a matter of fact I was not disappointed even though I was knocked down, I was rather happy. My lil beast could keep up with a tuned vehicle that was making around 150 horses and around 390nm of torque pretty well and I have paid almost half the price than the scross 1.6 but yeah I am planning to get a rd dual channel post the 10k mark, my car is fairly young as of now and then I would probably give the remapped scross 1.6 a run for its money, afterall never back down

And PS: As per Naren the figo/aspire can overpower the stock scross 1.6 in a run

Last edited by blackbandit : 7th February 2017 at 17:54.
blackbandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:41   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next week, I will report Blue Bombardier speeds not in KMPH but, in MACH Speeds
Avi, any updates on the mods? Eagerly waiting.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th February 2017 at 13:39. Reason: Reduced the quote length for viewers to read better. Btw, the post is coming up in a few mins...keep tuned :)
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:35   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
And PS: As per Naren the figo/aspire can overpower the stock scross 1.6 in a run
Yes, the stock Figo /Aspire is faster than stock 1.6 S-Cross. I had whopped both stock 1.6 S-Cross and your Figo in my tuned S-Cross . But I was 3-4 cars length ahead of stock S-Cross and the distance between me and your Figo was lessser. I believe you would be faster than my tuned 1.6 with a remap / tuning box.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th February 2017 at 12:42.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 13:55   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm happy to announce that I have installed the "Pedal Tune" as highlighted in my previous post. A lot has been already written, debated about it and not to mention some hot exchanges also took place from the believers and non- believers including some chuckle worthy comments like we can achieve similar results delivered by Pedal Tune by "Pressing the Gas harder" and logically I cannot blame anyone to think on those lines as I would have also made similar snide remarks if I had not personally tested or used it.

Therefore, I decided to share this post after driving for over 300+ kms testing each and every mode of the Pedal Tune on different tarmacs and varied traffic conditions right from best 6 lane highway in India (None other than ORR in Hyderabad) to 2-lane roads and the dreaded bumper to bumper traffic as well.

Hence, this post will focus purely from a user-feedback perspective and not focusing on any technical aspects of "How" and "Why" which is already covered on the forum.

I run a pretty busy work schedule and besides that I needed a little helping hand in installing the "Pedal Tune (PT)" so requested my old friend/riding mate DBHP'ian A4anurag to help me out and he being his usual sweet self drove down 70+kms to my home sometime early last week and we got down to installing the PT. With our combined effort it took us roughly 10 minutes to install it.

Being a Ford, I was extremely anxious and was almost waiting with bated breathe to see lot of jingle jangling error codes come up on the instrument console but, when ignition switch was turned on-there was no dramatics and everything seemed calm as the waves at morning sea

After taking in a couple of deep breathes, we decided to revv the engine and switched on and off a few times to double check and everything seemed fine which seemed little abnormal (LOL, Just kidding)

Then before taking a test drive, we connected an OBD port that Anurag carried over and checked the stats of the car and yet again-to my relief there was no errors and everything seemed hunky-dory

Before I describe our feedback of the actual test drive, here is a brief outline of the different modes that Pedal Tune comes with via. a remote control that helps in changing the modes on the fly.

There are 3 modes namely :

1. Green (ECO MODE)
2. Orange (SPORTS MODE)
3. Red (RACE MODE
)

Each of the above mode has 3 incremental values that can be increased or decreased by pressing the button labeled "+" or "-" on the remote and all of which is highlighted through LED indicators-how convenient

Before I started the test ride, Anurag jokingly commented "Avi, knowing you-just slot the damn thing into the highest mode (RACE-3) and save both of us some time.." I had to literally coax him to work his way up...we started the test drive and requested him to manage the remote control (from the passenger seat) and work his way up from ECO MODE and keep pressing the + in an incremental mode.

Honestly speaking, ECO MODE 1 & 2 did not feel much difference but, moment we pressed + button an additional time to ECO MODE-3 there was a minor difference as the car-it felt lighter and accelaration felt peppier. Hmmmmm, I was thinking so this Pedal Tune mumbo-jumbo is after all not really mumbo-jumbo as was the perception even for me. There really is some technical substance and major perceivable difference to this magic wand

As we worked our way up to SPORTS MODE 1, 2, 3 with a light foot on the accelerator, difference in accelaration increased alarmingly and in RACE mode the Aspire feels ridiculously fast and leaps forward with the lightest throttle input and landscape was passing by in a "BLUR" that it shocked me and don't mind sheepishly confessing also that it scared me to some extent as well because the brakes felt really inadequate to stop the car.

As we all know, Ford Aspire is already a fast-car with negligible or almost no-turbo lag so you can imagine the difference it made to stock characteristics.

Next was Anurag's turn to drive my car and I got the answer just by looking at his face that he too seemed to have been blown away by the perceivable incremental difference from stock to RACE mode !!!

Couple of Team-BHP friends came over for a get-together on weekend and they too tested the car and not surprisingly, they seemed to be carried over by the rush of accelaration..

After driving with PedalTune for about 300kms (~ half tankful of Aspire), I could see some difference in the FE (guesstimate as I still have half a tank-ful to complete) as the needle seems to dipping faster than usual and I think this is expected so I'm assuming there might be a 1kmpl-1.5kmpl difference in the fuel averages. Well, it's not surprising as engine seems to be revving higher and more fueling is ingested to give you that instant feel of accelaration.

Not sure with this contraption, 0-100 figures can be slightly improved as the car responds extremely quicker than stock accelaration. Well, that can be confirmed only by getting it on a DYNO or a Vbox which is not happening anytime soon.

But, there is a huge and perceivable difference and after driving it for a week with it. I did go back to stock mode multiple times and it feels little weird as you get used to that adrenaline rush of instant accelaration and that feel is missing in stock format.

However, I personally feel RACE mode is little dangerous for normal/city driving conditions as the accelaration is little too much to control (wheel-spins included) and one wrong stomp of the foot and you will drive into a car ahead of you so I have been using it for last ~ 50kms in SPORTS 2 or 3 mode which is more than enough for city driving conditions as it feels perfect and with just a wee bit of a jab to throttle (irrespective of gear/speed) is enough to send the car scuttling forward like a rat running away from a Mongoose

To summarize, I'm happy for now and hoping it works flawlessly for a long time and keep tuned to the thread to see if that really happens..

With this addition, I feel no need to install a dual-channel tuning box which is lying around wasted in the boot of my car. I wanted to check this product in isolation for a few weeks before embarking on a suicide mission of installing the dual channel tuning box to this already crazily potent package i.e if I really decide to move forward with that idea- If do, then would have to get a new set of brake pads OR more bigger hit to the pocket, get an altogether new braking system to STOP the car...

Just see the speed of the needle deflect with same throttle input when modes are changed

Here are a few pictures of the installation and the smart looking gentleman working with an intensity that is found only in passionate souls is none other than Anurag..!

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_4799.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_4800.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_4816.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_4817.jpg

Some random pictures of the remote control in different modes

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender-1.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender-5.jpg

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender.jpg

P.S: There are a few subtle quirkyness of the remote control which I will share in my next post

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th February 2017 at 15:08. Reason: para gaps corrected...
mobike008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:12   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review . I also wanted to try it out and sadly did not work in my S-Cross. Also good to know that you are happy with pedal tune box. But I don't think the tuning box lying in your boot is waste . It would actually supplement the pedal tune box well and also give you real gains

Could you do this simple test to know the real gains?

1. Slot the car in 3 Rd gear and maintain 30 KMPH

2. Accelerate from 30 to 80 KMPH with pedal tune off and race mode

3. Use a stop watch or record the speedo video

This would be really helpful.

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:23   #366
Senior - BHPian

Finally

Just imagining the car accelerating is giving me goosebumps.

Share some pictures of the actual unit as well, and if you don't mind, the cost too.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:56   #367
BHPian

Awesome

Most eagerly awaited post! thanks for sharing.

The narration is like simply superb and you are best when it comes to writing with equal amount of wit and technology involved, literally for me it was like transforming from office seat to Aspire POD or Cockpit! Remember Avatar type Pods!!! (haha LOL)

As rightly pointed out in earlier post, now its ought to be "flying HIGH on tarmac.. "

enjoy TDCing with PT!!

Last edited by novicefreak : 13th February 2017 at 14:57.
novicefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:33   #368
BANNED

I get a call from Avinash asking for help to install Pedal Tune in his Aspire. After a lot of delays due to work pressure and mismatch of timings, finally it was D-Day for the install. Reached his place and straight away got to work.

Procedure for Install:

Step - 1: Remove the key from ignition before going ahead;

Step - 2: Located the Accelerator Pedal unit which would have a connector on top that sends signals to the ECU. Once that connector is located, unplug it;

The wiring (neatly insulated and secured) consists of 2 connectors on one end and the pedal tune box on the other end.

Step - 3: One of the connector matches the OEM connector (a). This goes into the connector over the accelerator pedal. Now for the other one is connected into OEM connector which we disconnected (in Step-2).

Step -4: You are done! Just for a drive testing the modes.

It is just that simple and all it took me was a minutes (if timed).

Images of the Install:-

OEM Connector removed (a)
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1.-oem-connector-removed.jpg

Pedal Tune connected
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-2.-pedal-tune-connector-plugged.jpg

Tuning box in OFF mode
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-4.-off-mode.jpg

3 Modes - Economy, Sport & Race
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-5.-3-modes.jpg

Maximum settings in each of the 3 modes
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-6.-top-setting-3-modes.jpg

3M Sticker applied (similar one is stuck on the pedal unit - It has a gum on one side and the other is velcro)
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-7.-3m-sticker-applied.jpg

Final location of install
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-8.-final-location-install.jpg

Manual of the Pedal tune box
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-9.-manual-pedal-tune.jpg

Two connectors and Pedal tune box (As shared by Frank Mehta)
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-10.-connectors.jpg

The box was routed from underneath from the dashboard (pointed in the yellow arrow) outwards to the central console) so that the long wiring doesn't entangle somewhere in the pedals or the drivers shoes creating any panic anytime later)
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-front-seat-view.jpg
__________________________________________________ ______________

After the install, switched the ignition ON to see of the pedal tune box is working or no. It lit up as soon as he ignition was ON which confirmed all was okay that solves 50% of my worry.

After that I looked at the instrumentation console for any CEL. None was observed so started the car and plugged the OBD reader and checked if any errors are stored in the ECU using the Torque App in my mobile. It was clear! This cleared the rest 50% worry! It was rolling time..

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-aspire-pedal-tune-no-faults.jpeg

1. Economy Mode:

Least interested mode to be honest and I could find a perceived difference in input response in the 3rd setting of Economy mode.

2. Sports Mode:

It was setting 2 & 3 that was getting us to realize the difference. Response to the accelerator was easily evident in the 2nd and 3rd setting.

3. Race Mode:

Most preferred by Avinash , just kidding but it was just fantastic to be driving around in this mode. Already the Aspire is a phenomenal package in terms of drive-ability and acceleration, this Pedal Tune box just increases the response times better over stock. I would have driven nearly 5 times with the Race mode in 3rd setting just for the love of it and every time I pressed the pedal (as I do naturally) the car takes off and within no time it is at 110 kmph.

At one occasion, we had the 'heart-in-mouth' situation when the car couldn't come to a halt. It was clearly evident that the Aspire's brakes either needed a change in pads or an upgrade. I think it is the former. All in all, the box is a fantastic addition to the Aspire already explosive nature.

What I was happy to see was the FE after all the testing 16.6kmpl which is commendable!

Now it is back to Avinash to see and wait for long term reports on how the Pedal Tune performs.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th February 2017 at 15:42.
a4anurag is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 16:10   #369
BHPian

Hey! Avi, nice update on the already potent machine. Hope you don't mind sharing the cost and sourcing details. Hope this works on a City IVtec.

Thanks

Last edited by zen91 : 13th February 2017 at 16:11.
zen91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 17:01   #370
BHPian

Having driven cars with adjustable throttle mappings, I can totally understand the 'feeling' of power that a device like the PedalTune can add. Especially in the city, where we're on part throttle for a lot of the time.

However, I suspect that once you get a taste of 'real' power with that dual channel box in your boot, you will quickly forget the 'perceived' power increases with this box!

What's the difference between PedalD & E in the Torque measurements?
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:04   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Could you do this simple test to know the real gains?
Thanks! Well, I was just being little playful when I said I will not be adding the tuning box.

Of course, I will be adding the TB and know that this combination will have earth shattering performance which I'm eager to experience.

Incidentally, I am not new to tuning boxes so I can imagine the expectations from it and paired it with PT, I am sure words will fail to describe the whole experience and will have to use my facial expressions i.e of glee, happiness and popped out eyes as a testament of their performance

Will do this test under restricted conditions and with someone's help to ensure correct findings are reported in a few days for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Just imagining the car accelerating is giving me goosebumps
We are normal people used to normal accelaration (new terminology is linear accelaration) but, if this linear accelaration is delivered with brute force it certainly will infuse a few goose-bumps for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Share some pictures of the actual unit as well, and if you don't mind, the cost too.
I think Anurag posted those pictures already

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
The narration is like simply superb and you are best when it comes to writing with equal amount of wit and technology involved, literally for me it was like transforming from office seat to Aspire POD or Cockpit! Remember Avatar type Pods!!! (haha LOL)
Our world is too grim and grey in many aspects, a little wit or smiles does not harm so, nice to know you smiled and enjoyed the post...Thanks for your appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I get a call from Avinash asking for help to install Pedal Tune in his Aspire. After a lot of delays due to work pressure and mismatch of timings, finally it was D-Day for the install. Reached his place and straight away got to work.

Procedure for Install:

Most preferred by Avinash, just kidding but it was just fantastic to be driving around in this mode. Already the Aspire is a phenomenal package in terms of drive-ability and acceleration, this Pedal Tune box just increases the response times better over stock. I would have driven nearly 5 times with the Race mode in 3rd setting just for the love of it and every time I pressed the pedal (as I do naturally) the car takes off and within no time it is at 110 kmph.

At one occasion, we had the 'heart-in-mouth' situation when the car couldn't come to a halt. It was clearly evident that the Aspire's brakes either needed a change in pads or an upgrade. I think it is the former. All in all, the box is a fantastic addition to the Aspire already explosive nature.

Now it is back to Avinash to see and wait for long term reports on how the Pedal Tune performs.
Now this man takes detail to a different level so kudos to him for this amazing post as well as for spending the time for installation, observations which seem identical to mine

Are you ready to take the plunge with me for the tuning box as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Hey! Avi, nice update on the already potent machine. Hope you don't mind sharing the cost and sourcing details. Hope this works on a City IVtec
Thanks Brajesh Bhai, yes it works for petrol engines too and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Having driven cars with adjustable throttle mappings, I can totally understand the 'feeling' of power that a device like the PedalTune can add. Especially in the city, where we're on part throttle for a lot of the time.
Not sure if you ever drove on Hyderabad ORR, it was tested on that as well. It's a full blown American style freeway with miles and miles of visibility for you to test your machine in whatever way you want too.

Quote:
What's the difference between PedalD & E in the Torque measurements?
This query is unclear. Could you please rephrase?

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th February 2017 at 20:08. Reason: Typo
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:08   #372
BANNED

Quote:
Are you ready to take the plunge with me for the tuning box as well?
Oh yes.

When shall we meet?
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 21:18   #373
BHPian

BTW I just remembered that accessing the rail pressure sensor is a very involved process in the 1.5 TDCi. You have the remove the battery, the ECU and a couple of other things before you can access it, as it's hidden behind the engine!

So if you're planning a DIY installation for the tuning box, please do consider getting it installed professionally!
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 10:28   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm back in town after an exciting moments during my time out-of-town (details to be shared in a couple of weeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Oh yes. When shall we meet?
All plans of installing the tuning box over the weekend is gone for a toss due to unforeseen circumstances. Get well soon installer

Quote:
BTW I just remembered that accessing the rail pressure sensor is a very involved process in the 1.5 TDCi. You have the remove the battery, the ECU and a couple of other things before you can access it, as it's hidden behind the engine! So if you're planning a DIY installation for the tuning box, please do consider getting it installed professionally!
Now that is worrisome. Did you follow the entire process while RD installed it in your car? Any pictures or videos that you can share here?

I'm dependent on our resident expert for installation so we welcome any help that is required for a clean installation
Old 18th February 2017, 10:42   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Now that is worrisome. Did you follow the entire process while RD installed it in your car? Any pictures or videos that you can share here?

I'm dependent on our resident expert for installation so we welcome any help that is required for a clean installation
Sorry, no pics from me, as my heart was in my mouth while the ECU was being removed

But thankfully, there's a video from RD doing the same on an Ecosport 1.5 TDCi. The process was fairly similar as is shown in the video, except for some differences like the ECU being located on the side of the battery in the Aspire, instead on the top.

The video description says that the installation may be done on a vehicle lift as well, from underneath the car. Not sure if that's applicable to the Aspire.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks