Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:27   #46

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Good Morning Capt Rex ,
Congratulations .Great Post and thanks a lot for the same. Sir , 84BHP & torque seems a bit less for a vehicle of this size , but how do you feel about the availability of power when you want to zoom off immediately while overtaking and also the the handling around the corners . Would be happy to read your review of the operation in highways.
Kiran Shetty
kitsass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:27   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Jacksons, Orange looks good in flesh and was my first choice. Anyways, black will look stunning too, in your garage. Did I guess the winner ? No nah?
I haven't seen Orange yet, last time I went to showroom, they had white , silver and black only. Today I will go to test drive and hope to see Orange, you never know I might go for it.

Last edited by jacksons : 23rd October 2015 at 13:30.
Old 23rd October 2015, 15:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello sandeepmdas, - do you really wish to bracket the TUV with the other steroidal hatch backs in the above grouping?... no way can the TUV handle as adroitly as a hot hatch, tho' in the street cred stakes it can draw rings round the others!
Agree with your point, the TUV may not be as agile as the ES or Duster with its Scorpio lineage. But let me clarify.

My observation is based totally on the "standard" daily-life traffic situation where often you won't even get a chance to blink your eye properly and in such situations driving a high-stance car is a lot more easier and safer. The other drivers will always be more lenient in giving you some room to breathe.

In other words, driving a SUV won't help one in winning 0-100 and it can't maintain the poise in cornering either. But, unless you live in Ooty and work in Bandipur - where you traverse 42 or so hairpins bends everyday - there is little a hot hatch can offer you over a cross-over vehicle.
sandeepmdas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 15:14   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Agree with your point, the TUV may not be as agile as the ES or Duster with its Scorpio lineage. But let me clarify.

My observation is based totally on the "standard" daily-life traffic situation where often you won't even get a chance to blink your eye properly and in such situations driving a high-stance car is a lot more easier and safer. The other drivers will always be more lenient in giving you some room to breathe.

In other words, driving a SUV won't help one in winning 0-100 and it can't maintain the poise in cornering either. But, unless you live in Ooty and work in Bandipur - where you traverse 42 or so hairpins bends everyday - there is little a hot hatch can offer you over a cross-over vehicle.
Spot on, you've hit the nail on the head! - unless the terrain is heavily tilted in favour of it, a hot hatch doesn't have much to offer the TUV.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 15:27   #50
BHPian

Congrats captain on your new TUV300, many happy miles! Nice seat covers too, they look quite comfy. is it leather? And have you opted for any of the heat rejection films?
best
famousshoes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 15:41   #51
BHPian

Congrats CAPTAIN_REX!

I am very much interested in the automatic version.

Some questions which came to my mind:

Does your wife drive? Can you get some feedback about a woman driving this. I had taken a test drive of the Scorpio automatic and my wife was able to drive it comfortably. However, she expressed discomfort of huge size. Hence, the question!

Even if you do not have a need for a AT, could you take a TD and compare the driving performance with your MT?

Thanking you in advance,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 02:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
37K is way too high for zero dep insurance for a car with ex showroom price of 8.7L. This should never be more than 20-25k at most. You could have bargained or got the insurance done from outside.
Samfromindia, Before finalising on the insurance from the showroom, I had spoken to a couple of Insurance consultants. The best I could get was slightly over 35000 (dont remember the exact amount). As per them, the premium depends on the model of the car, manufacturer etc and not just on the ex-showroom price. Since the difference was not much went in for the insurance from the showroom itself to avoid inconveniences during delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsass View Post
Good Morning Capt Rex ,
Congratulations .Great Post and thanks a lot for the same. Sir , 84BHP & torque seems a bit less for a vehicle of this size , but how do you feel about the availability of power when you want to zoom off immediately while overtaking and also the the handling around the corners . Would be happy to read your review of the operation in highways.
Kiran Shetty
Thanx Kiran. 84 BHP and the 230 NM of torque on paper is really less for a vehicle this size, but in reality you actually do not feel the lack of this. The car moves quite quickly from a standstill, and does not lag behind in the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Congrats captain on your new TUV300, many happy miles! Nice seat covers too, they look quite comfy. is it leather? And have you opted for any of the heat rejection films?
best
Thanx famousshoes. The seat covers are Mahindra accessories, and got them fitted from the showroom. It is artleather and not genuine. I still have not decided on the heat rejection films, and with the monsoons bound to set in in Chennai tomorrow, I have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Congrats CAPTAIN_REX!

Some questions which came to my mind:

Does your wife drive? Can you get some feedback about a woman driving this. I had taken a test drive of the Scorpio automatic and my wife was able to drive it comfortably. However, she expressed discomfort of huge size. Hence, the question!

Even if you do not have a need for a AT, could you take a TD and compare the driving performance with your MT?

Thanking you in advance,

Girish Mahajan
Girish, the wife drives ME. .
Ok jokes apart, the AMT TUV should be comfortable for a lady, once she gets used to the slightly wider body. Silverknight has got an AMT and he is floored with its performance. My wife has driven the manual and she has found it comfortable to handle, save for the slightly hard steering at slow speeds coupled with the problem that the steering does not return to the centre automatically.

Update :

1. On the big question - 'Kitna deti hai'

Topped up the tank yesterday. I did 315 km after the last tank top up, and with 27 ltrs to yesterdays top up, the math says 11.7 kmpl, in 100 % Chennai city traffic (no highway trips) with the AC on through out. Not something to be happy about from such a small engine, considering that I was getting close to 14 kmpl on the Vento in the same conditions. May be the weight of and shape of the tank could be the culprit.

This entire range was done without using the ESS (engine start stop), not using the ECO mode and with the AC in normal.

After filling up, the DTE showed 792 km on the full tank, which meant an average of 13.2 kmpl.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1817.jpg

I was actually planning to check the next cycle of FE between top ups by running the TUV on the ECO mode. So after top up at the fuel station, switched on the ECO mode.
I do not know what the technicality Mahindra has behind this is, but after depressing the ECO button, the accelerator pedal becomes hard to press. You will require more effort from the right leg, and this really has a detrimental effect on the drive. The Tank now enters into the BATTLE mode and refuses to move. Your right foot start aching. After about 2 to 3 km, I gave up and turned off the ECO mode.
I think I will not be using that button in the near future, considering yesterdays experience.

2. Cornering lights -
The lights work well and light up the sides nicely, but both the cornering lights come ON, irrespective of to which side you are turning, unlike the YETI, which lit up only the side towards which the car was turning.
This can be an irritant to the driver in the vehicle coming up from the opposite side when you are taking a left turn, and the right side cornering light also lights up right into his face.

3. Gear lever -
After about 500 kms, the gears have started meshing nicely and slots into the gear smoothly. The rubbery feel has reduced, or am I getting used to it ?

4. Steering wheel -
The wheel does not return smoothly to the centre after executing a turn, and requires addition effort to bring it back.

5. In Cabin rattles -
The left side front door has developed a faint rattle. I need to pinpoint the exact location and cause for this noise. It could be the passenger seat belt. Apart from this the cabin is silent so far, with nice muted thuds while going over rough patches.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 06:39   #53
BANNED

Quote:
........ Not something to be happy about from such a small engine, considering that I was getting close to 14 kmpl on the Vento in the same conditions. May be the weight of and shape of the tank could be the culprit...........
Not surprising really: the Vento/TUV300 kerb wts as follows: 1233kg/1590kg
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 09:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Topped up the tank yesterday. I did 315 km after the last tank top up, and with 27 ltrs to yesterdays top up, the math says 11.7 kmpl, in 100 % Chennai city traffic (no highway trips) with the AC on through out.
That is on the lower side. Wonder what it could reach after the running in period and 1st service. 13.5-14 Kmpl?
Any particular reason why you did not use ESS? Logically i would expect the FE to be better with ESS.

Seriously considering the TUV300 as my next ride and really appreciate the feedback that you have been sharing on the forum
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 09:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Girish, the wife drives ME. .
Ok jokes apart, the AMT TUV should be comfortable for a lady, once she gets used to the slightly wider body. Silverknight has got an AMT and he is floored with its performance. My wife has driven the manual and she has found it comfortable to handle, save for the slightly hard steering at slow speeds coupled with the problem that the steering does not return to the centre automatically.
Dear CAPTAIN REX,

Thanks for the update. I think we both have matriarchal families!

Actually, my wife has been driving since 2000 and is a good driver. She has driven from Maruti Omni E to Honda City ZX VTEC for long distances and driven about a dozen test drives for a few km each time. I do not doubt her driving abilities. My desire is to go for Scorpio/XUV type vehicle for the next purchase. So, the query is to get a first hand judgement before the TD!

Let us see how this shapes up!

Once more - thanks for the prompt response.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. In Cabin rattles -
The left side front door has developed a faint rattle. I need to pinpoint the exact location and cause for this noise. It could be the passenger seat belt. Apart from this the cabin is silent so far, with nice muted thuds while going over rough patches.
Seems this is the first niggle of the TUV-3OO. The reason I am saying this is because in the TUV thread Silverknight has reported exactly the same issue with his TUV-MT. Quoting him below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Minor issues:
- Left front door is jarring, need to get it checked with service center asap.
Hope Mahindra A.S.S fixes this asap for both of you and ensures that the further batches of TUV are free from this niggle.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 01:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Congrats CAPTAIN_REX!

Thanking you in advance,

Girish Mahajan
Hi Girish,

I got T8 AMT last week, it is really convenient to not worry about clutch or gear.
And if you wish to you can always switch to manual with a flick of your wrist. And upshift/downshift you like.
The only downside with TUV is heavy steering, which your wife will have to judge for herself.
And one drawback with AMT is on climbs, there is not hill assist control. So either use handbrake or manage AC pedals simultaneously. Other than this I love the AMT.
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 09:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Hi Girish,

I got T8 AMT last week, it is really convenient to not worry about clutch or gear.
And if you wish to you can always switch to manual with a flick of your wrist. And upshift/downshift you like.
The only downside with TUV is heavy steering, which your wife will have to judge for herself.
And one drawback with AMT is on climbs, there is not hill assist control. So either use handbrake or manage AC pedals simultaneously. Other than this I love the AMT.
with Silverknight's comments above. The AMT is very convenient to drive. I had two extensive test drives of the AMT and I loved the way it pulled. You can close the gaps in traffic pretty fast. The semi-automatic(or manual) mode is the best option, wherein you can control the upshifts by the forward flick of the gear lever and downshifts happen automatically as soon as you press the brake pedal and the shifts are very smooth. This way you have more control while overtaking and pulling off from the speedbreaker becomes a breeze.

If you can live with the somewhat heavy steering and the jugglery on inclines then AMT is a super value proposition.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 09:18   #59
BHPian

Dear silverknight and AutoIndian,

Thanks for the feedback.
Now I am more confident of taking my wife for a TD!

Girish Mahajan
Old 28th October 2015, 14:01   #60
BHPian

Being an (ex) Vento user I'm pretty sure you'd have noticed the difference in general feel, engineering perfection, attention to detail and general apparent quality of VW cars vis-a-vis others. And I think that experience would have modified your expectations of a car in some way at least. I'm leaving other aspects such as post sales service/reliability etc. out of this.

It is my opinion that while Mahindra vehicles are capable of taking plenty of abuse, they lack precisely the attributes listed earlier - engineering perfection, attention to detail and apparent quality.

Being a 'god-is-in-the-details' believer myself I would like to hear first hand from you - how does it feel to switch from a VW to a Mahindra?

Good luck and drive safe.

PS: No offense intended to VW or Mahindra lovers and I do not intend to start a VW vs Mahindra debate!
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed