Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 14:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Just for the benefit of TBHP members and general public alike, the TBHP official review of TUV-3OO has gone live couple of hours back. Sharing the link here for reference -----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Old 29th October 2015, 12:32   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Hi Girish,

I got T8 AMT last week, it is really convenient to not worry about clutch or gear.
And if you wish to you can always switch to manual with a flick of your wrist. And upshift/downshift you like.
The only downside with TUV is heavy steering, which your wife will have to judge for herself.
And one drawback with AMT is on climbs, there is not hill assist control. So either use handbrake or manage AC pedals simultaneously. Other than this I love the AMT.
Contrary to that my wife test drove T8 AMT yesterday and told me that steering is very light comparing to our Linea and A star automatic.
I am yet test drive so can't say much.
Old 29th October 2015, 20:14   #63
BHPian

Congratulations on the TUV! She looks absolutely gorgeous in black. Also, I think I might have seen your car today today in Thiruvanmiyur. She really did stand out.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 10:44   #64
BHPian

Another awesome video illustration with nice summary of all the features. The host forgets to mention 3 cylinder; yet a great job

TMRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 17:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hello Captain Rex, did you opt for Floor Mats and Mud flaps from the dealership? How much did it cost you? Also in case if you happen to visit the dealer could you inquire the prices of Side Armour skirt and Bold wheel arches?
Old 30th October 2015, 23:27   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Congratulations on the TUV! She looks absolutely gorgeous in black. Also, I think I might have seen your car today today in Thiruvanmiyur. She really did stand out.
Thanx SS8939, and if it was Thiruvanmiyur, it could have been me. That is my daily commute route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Captain Rex, did you opt for Floor Mats and Mud flaps from the dealership? How much did it cost you? Also in case if you happen to visit the dealer could you inquire the prices of Side Armour skirt and Bold wheel arches?
AutoIndian. both, mudflap and mats were from the showroom.
Mudflap - Rs 560/-
Mat - Rs 1455/- The mat comes in 4 pieces. 2 for the front, 1 in the middle and 1 at the third row. My mistake when I mentioned 6 piece in the price breakdown.
I dont think the showroom had the armour when i was getting my car, since they did not mention or ask me to get that fixed. They were promoting all the other accessories they had.
I shall call up the SA tomorrow and PM you the price if they have it.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:11   #67

Congratulations Captain REX for the Detailed Review. Happy and Safe Miles Ahead. Initially I did not have a good opinion about this breed of Mahindra. But after reading the Official Review and your Ownership Experience with so many pictures around, I am now MORE THAN CONVINCED to go for one. My next purchase will be this TUV TANK.
mahalingam_a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 18:41   #68
BHPian

Captain Rex, how's the tank holding up? Any further updates for the rest of us? We are eagerly awaiting your notes.
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 01:35   #69
BHPian

Got my first taste of Mahindras niggles - Last week the bluetooth decided that I should not be talking on the phone while driving, I could listen but should not talk. I am supposed to concentrate on the road, and especially on Chennai roads, where people, autos and bikes materialize out of nowhere. So the microphone stopped working.
I tried doing a factory reset, but to no avail. Pulled out the microphone from the roof lining and checked the connection. All okay.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_0021.jpg

This is the microphone pulled out from the roof lining.

So time to visit the workshop. First car of mine to go to the service station before the scheduled service time.
I had the left front door rattling earlier which I had planned to get rectified during the first service at 3000 Km. But now with a second problem cropping up I decided to visit the service station. Called up Zulaikha Motor, KeelKatalai and scheduled an appointment for friday the 6th at 9 o'clock.
Arrived at 9 o'clock. The service station was opened and the staff were just arriving. I was attended in about 5 minutes. The SA was aware of the problems as I had spoken to him earlier. Anyways, explained it to him once more and asked him if any TUVs had come in earlier with problems. He said that I was the 4th one with a left front door rattling.
The service slip was filled up with the relevant problems. I had one more issue for them to attend. The metal piece for folding and securing the left jump was not exposed, it was covered with the fabric seat cover. Not a big issue, they just had to clear it out from the opening on the fabric.
Once done with the service slip mentioning the 3 issues, I get a SMS stating that the car would be ready by 1045 hrs. I was impressed. I had told the SA that I would wait at the service station.

11 o'clock - I am still waiting. No car, no update from the SA.

1130 - still no update.

I ask for the SA. He comes out from the workshop and upon querying the status, he says that they have just finished fixing up the door rattle and are now working on the BT microphone. I take back the initial impression I had.

At 1230 the car comes out and I am told that the door rattle and the seat issue has been fixed up, while the BT microphone has to be replaced and they do not have the spare. An order has been placed and the microphone should arrive in a weeks time.

I am asked to go out on a test drive with the SA. With the SA in the drivers seat we take the car out. Mahindras policy - 'FIRST TIME RIGHT' which is plastered all over the workshop goes for a toss. The rattling has reduced but has not been fixed up completely. We take the TUV out on a patch of bad roads and the rattles remains. The SA asks for another 15 minutes for that to be fixed up. I tell him that 15 minutes is all that he has, and that if more time is required I will get it done when I bring the car in to fix the BT microphone.
15 minutes into the workshop bay and the miracle is done. The rattling stops. And has remained till today, and hope it stays this way. They had replaced 3 door pad clips.

HIT THE HIGHWAY FINALLY - That said and done, on Saturday finally got a chance to take the TUV out on a highway trip, something I have been waiting for the past month, ever since taking delivery. Drove to Vellore for the weekend.

On the highway the car pulls nicely till around 90 - 100 kmph. After that it is a completely different story. 130 kmph is the max I could squeeze out of her. The accelerator seems to be pushing back against my right leg after that.
By the way, I had completed that mandatory 1000 km of 'running in' a few days back.
The car felt planted at these speeds and body roll on the slight highways curves were not noticed.
Slight rough patches were taken at the same speed, where as I would have slowed down if I were on the vento. So the 'mile munching' capacity of the Tata Safari will apply to the TUV too, and should reduce the travel time when on long highway trips.
I have started getting the feel of the brakes, and feel more confident now.
The Ceat czar HT tyres was okay at these speeds on the highway and on broken roads, with not much of noise coming in to the cabin. The cushioning of the high profile tyres were good.
The TUV handled great on some real bad roads in the Amrithi forest in Vellore, which included a 'TUV footboard' deep mud crossing. Thanx to MapMyIndia for showing us that there was another route, apart from the normal tarred main road to the Amrithi mini Zoo, and thank god that we were not in the vento.

Road presence is great with even trucks moving over to let you over take.

Attaching photos of the servicing schedule for those interested. Rj - this one for you.
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-_20151109_224830.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-_20151109_224800.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-_20151109_224734.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Not surprising really: the Vento/TUV300 kerb wts as follows: 1233kg/1590kg
Shashanka, weight wise she is heavier, but expected a better FE with the 3 pot engine. M&M's intention of a 3 cyclinder would have been a better FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any particular reason why you did not use ESS? Logically i would expect the FE to be better with ESS.
Rj, I do not feel comfortable with this stop/start system.
1. I feel that what ever tech is behind this, on the long run the battery might get affected.
2. In Chennai traffic unless you are the first at the traffic signal, you just cant stop moving. You will always have to keep inching forward. Stop and the guy behind you keeps blowing his horn. ( I have now stuck a bumper sticker on the spare wheel cover - THE MORE YOU HONK, THE SLOWER I WILL DRIVE )
3. Every time the engine goes off, the AC compressor cuts out, and this will be taxing during summers.
4. Every time the engine starts, the electricals goes off and that included power to the dashcam, a Transcend 200. So I end up with a lot of broken recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Also in case if you happen to visit the dealer could you inquire the prices of Side Armour skirt and Bold wheel arches?
AutoIndian, once again congrats on your orange TUV. I had been to the showroom to collect my RC. They did not have the armour kit. It was in transit, the whole set costs Rs 55159, including the rear spoiler, but they did not have a break down for the individual pieces.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 05:46   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Got my first taste of Mahindras niggles.......
Shashanka, weight wise she is heavier, but expected a better FE with the 3 pot engine. M&M's intention of a 3 cyclinder would have been a better FE.
I fully agree that the FE should have been better. And ostensibly M&M has maintained that the reason for the reduced engine capacity is FE & the improved low end drivability (which you too have highlighted, as well as Autoindian & others on the thread).

Unfortunately, I think M&M are comparing the TUV's FE with that of the Quanto - which has essentially the same engine despite all that marketing hot air about 2-stage T/chrgng! - and not to its direct competitors in the segment(Ecosport, S-Cross, Duster et al) - which is what they should be doing! The Quanto sadly is stuck in the 15 kpl range as per the experience of acquaintances using it.

M&M are paying this small penalty() for using that hydro formed, ladder-frame chassis - outstanding durability & strength, but added avoirdupois and lower FE!
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 10:58   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
They had replaced 3 door pad clips.
Thanks for that info Captain
Quote:
130 kmph is the max I could squeeze out of her. The accelerator seems to be pushing back against my right leg after that.
Was this with the engine ECO mode on? Can you share the RPM figures when you hit 130? I did hit 120 a few times during my test drive and I was at 2.9-3K RPM and I felt that the Tank could stretch its legs a little more. What was the FE that you managed during the Vellore drive?
Quote:
I have started getting the feel of the brakes, and feel more confident now.
How would you rate the braking when compared to your vento? Also does the front bow down when braking from 70/80 kmph speeds?
Quote:
The Ceat czar HT tyres was okay at these speeds on the highway and on broken roads, with not much of noise coming in to the cabin. The cushioning of the high profile tyres were good.
Interested in understanding the experience of people sitting in the 2nd row seats. Were they comfortable when driving over the rough/broken roads? I know 4 lane the stretch around sriperumbudur is broken, bumpy and has a lot off truck traffic. Can you share feedback on how the Tank handled this stretch and ease of quick overtakes that are required in this stretch?
Quote:
The TUV handled great on some real bad roads in the Amrithi forest in Vellore, which included a 'TUV footboard' deep mud crossing.
Good to see you exploiting the strength of the tank. How was the traction during in this stretch and did you have wheel spin issues at low speed?
Quote:
Attaching photos of the servicing schedule for those interested. Rj - this one for you.
Gracias
Quote:
Rj, I do not feel comfortable with this stop/start system.
Same here. When I test drove in B2B Bangalore traffic, it was a pain when you had to creep forward. I think M&M should increase this to 30 seconds so that there is some real world use of ESS. Do you know if the Tank uses an ISG? My SA mentioned this a couple of times and said that there will no load on the starter motor because of this.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 13:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Captain - have you sorted your steering issue. I remember you posting that that the steering would not come back to the center and needed effort after a turn.

Mods: please merge with the above post as the time limit for editing had expired.
Old 11th November 2015, 00:22   #73

Thanks Captain Rex. You've been a great help in orientating me on how to handle the Tank. Hopefully, Tirupathi will deliver the black AMT in the third week of November as promised. And I've seiously taken all the tips you've given. Thanks.
injun269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 01:45   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for that info Captain
Was this with the engine ECO mode on? Can you share the RPM figures when you hit 130? I did hit 120 a few times during my test drive and I was at 2.9-3K RPM and I felt that the Tank could stretch its legs a little more.
RJ, the ECO mode was off. I dont think I am going to use that button. I tried it once in city traffic. The Tank entered 'Battlefield' mode - stand and fire. It just was not moving. Actually, not literally, it was not comfortable for my driving style.

Quote:
What was the FE that you managed during the Vellore drive?
Since it was just a short trip, just around 150 km to and 150 fro, and with that jungle run in between, could not really make out. But I guess it would be somewhere in the range of around 13 to 14.
18kmpl will be something too much to ask for from this 1.6 ton beast.

Quote:
How would you rate the braking when compared to your vento? Also does the front bow down when braking from 70/80 kmph speeds?
Vento's brakes had a good feel and feedback. I used to feel confident on stomping on the brakes. With the TUV, I was initially always apprehensive while braking. The spongy feel was not confidence inspiring. But now over time, I have got used to that feeling, I know that the TUV will stop where I want it to, and how much pressure has to be used. Feeling confident too. The nose does dive, and bounces back after you release the brakes but not as much as that on the old Scorpios. I have not driven the new one yet.

Quote:
Interested in understanding the experience of people sitting in the 2nd row seats. Were they comfortable when driving over the rough/broken roads? I know 4 lane the stretch around sriperumbudur is broken, bumpy and has a lot off truck traffic. Can you share feedback on how the Tank handled this stretch and ease of quick overtakes that are required in this stretch?
The TUV handled well on those broken patch. The kids in the 2nd row did not feel a thing and continued sleeping. I noticed that if I slow down, the TUV bobs, and this affects all the seats, even the front. The body roll is quite noticeable when bumpy roads are driven across at slow speeds. Increase speed slightly and the ride gets better.
For me, who had been using a car all along, except for a few weeks here and there on a Bolero, slowing down considerably has become second nature when I see bad roads. Now I gotta change my perspective.

Quote:
Good to see you exploiting the strength of the tank. How was the traction during in this stretch and did you have wheel spin issues at low speed?
Did not experience a wheel spin during the mud cross since I had the momentum right, but I had some wheel spin after trying to move from a stand still if the rear wheel was to climb over a rock. Had to back up and re-align the TUV properly to climb. Nothing that an ALL TERRAIN or OFFROADING tyre will not handle, just that the Ceat Czar HT was not meant for serious offroading. I thought that I will have the video on the Dashcam, but it got overwritten. My bad luck.

Quote:
Captain - have you sorted your steering issue. I remember you posting that that the steering would not come back to the center and needed effort after a turn.
No RJ, the steering issue still exists. Need to get it checked up next visit. The TD vehicles did not have this problem. I had TDed the TUV AMT last week when I went to collect my RC, and on that the steering returned to center without any effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
Thanks Captain Rex. You've been a great help in orientating me on how to handle the Tank. Hopefully, Tirupathi will deliver the black AMT in the third week of November as promised. And I've seiously taken all the tips you've given. Thanks.
Thanx injun269 for the good words. The wait is always killing. But you can utilize this time in planning on where all you want to go on the TUV, what all accessories you want to put on, etc. Do put up an ownership review once you get you Jeep. All the best.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:03   #75
BHPian

2nd Visit to the Service station

The day before yesterday took the Tank to the service station for the 2nd time.

Complaints -

1. Steering wobble when driven over 100 kmph
2. A whining noise from the Engine when accelerating or when releasing the accelerator.
3. Water in the driver footwell.
4. Steering not auto centering smoothly after taking a turn.
5. Clanking noise from somewhere below the gear lever when driven over a bump.

The faulty BT mic was replaced the previous day. The service personnel had come home with the new mic and replaced the defective piece. That was the good part from Mahindra service. The bad part was that I had to call them up on 16.11.15, to enquire whether the part had arrived.
It seems the part had arrived a few days ago, but no call from them to inform me.

Arrived at the service station at 0930 and was promptly attended. I had called them the previous day and had explained the problems. Went through the regular 'work sheet making' process and was informed that the car will be ready by evening.

Diagnosis -

1. Steering wobble - could be due to a wrong wheel balancing
2. Whining noise - something to do with the vacuum modulator. I was under the impression that the 'vacuum modulator' was only on auto-transmision cars. But it seems that it is present on all TUVs, the manual and the AMT.
3. water in drivers foot well - the water pipe for the rear wiper has a joint in the footwell area. I had removed the carpet and had checked that earlier. I found that the pipes was not properly inserted into the connecting piece, and every time the rear spray was used, water leaked at this joint. I inserted this properly ( A picture is attached below) and the leak stopped, but by then the carpet was soaked with water. I wanted them to check and confirm that there were no more leaks and dry up the carpet.
4. Steering not auto centering - could be due to the wheels not balanced properly
5. Clanking noise - will check.

Come evening and I was back at the service station at 1600. The Tank was almost ready and I was asked to wait for about 30 minutes.

Once the car was ready we went for a test drive, with the Technical Manager driving.

Results -

1. Steering wobble - Wheels were balanced and the wobbling disappeared. He went upto 110 kmph. Steering steady.
2. Whining noise - the vacuum modulator was replaced. The whining noise had stopped. This has been a problem on many TUVs earlier and hence they had stock of the part. The vacuum modulator hose also has to be replaced, but they did not have stock of that. Came to know that Mahindra is going to issue a 'recall notice' for the hose soon, and to replace it with a different sized one.
3. The leak was confirmed form the water pipe joint, and no other leaks were observed. The wet mat was soaked up using rags and paper.
4. Steering - the steering was now centering better than before. The wheel balancing coupled with some mechanical adjustments had helped.
5. The clanking noise was not observed by both of us during that test. I will need to find out exactly when this happens and then take the Technical Manager out for a test drive the next time I visit the workshop.

The rear wiper wash hose in the drivers footwell

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_0080.jpg

Epilogue as of today

1. Steering wobble - disappeared. Went up to 130 kmph yesterday, en route to Mahabalipuram on the ECR to check.
2. Whining Noise - stopped. And now does the engine have more punch after 100 kmph and can go upto around 140 kmph ? May be my feeling.
3. The leak has stopped. The carpets are still damp. I have laid out old news paper to soak up the remaining dampness under the carpet, and have been changing them daily for the past 2 days. It is getting better.
4. The steering is now auto centering better than before, but during some turns I feel that it is not returning back properly. Am I getting paranoid ?
5. The gear clank. After shifting a gear and releasing the clutch, the clank (only once) comes up only when going over the first bump/rough patch. After that - no more clanks, till the gear is again changed and the next bump/rough patch is ridden over. Noticed this in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Have not ridden over a bump in the 4th and 5th gear. So now I have got something concrete, describable and noticeable for the workshop guys on the next visit.

All the above said and done, I am thoroughly enjoying driving the TUV, with its road presence and head turns that I am getting.
Just wanting to take her out on a long drive out of town.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks