Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

The need for a new car:

I cant really explain why, but every three years the 'CHANGE CAR' bug bites. And this time it happened to be the 5th bug to bite. The previous car was a VW Vento TDI Highline bought in 2012. While buying the Vento, I had decided to keep the Vento for at least 5 years, as changing the car every 3 years was not doing good to my bank balance, as well as my wifeys support. So for the Vento, I took a five year term loan, but managed to repay and close the loan by end of 2014, still bearing in mind that the Vento will remain till it completes 5 years with me.

In September, 2014, I shifted residence to Chennai with the Kerala registered Vento following me. Some where in February 2015, the cops stopped me and asked for the usual 'NOC'. I managed by 'Just came from Kerala last week'. The same occurred again after a week or two.
The TN RTO website showed an annual tax for car, but in reality it was not possible. So that left me with two options - 1. Get a NOC and transfer the registration to Chennai, or option 2. sell the Vento and buy a new car in Chennai. The mind settled for the more expensive option - sell the Vento and buy a new car.

The next car:

Always had a SUV on mind and was forever fascinated by the Bolero's looks, but the interiors was a big turn off. After driving the TDI Vento, had got used to that diesel grunt, so wanted the next one to be a diesel too. Ford's Ecosport 1.5 D Titanium was next on my mind. Budget in range, but somehow could not bring myself to decide. PMed NaveenRaju, who had a Vento and then the Ecosport to clarify on a few doubts regarding the comfort levels, space etc, between the two. So the Ecosport 1.5 D it was to be, but it no hurry. Posted the Vento for sale on OLX. Response for the amount I expected was poor, and the booking for Ecosport kept waiting.

Then in July Hyundai launched the Creta. Test dove the vehicle and liked it, but still was not convinced. The top end diesel was above my budget but could have managed, and I would not settle for a lower variant when there is something better on the same vehicle. The S-Cross came out somewhere in between, but I never went anywhere close to it.

Then comes September, 2015 - and the TANK comes out breaking through a wall of solid bricks and crashing on straight into my heart.
First look at that solid macho front and I was on. 360 degrees round the vehicle from outside, and I am still on. The next was a look at the interiors, and that sealed the deal. Being a Mahindra, and after watching Mr Anand Mahindra being emotional over the launch, was sure the engine specs would not be bad. But when I saw specs, I was a bit dejected. The torque and the horsepower was fine, but a 3 cylinder engine on a mammoth ? I had my doubts. So I did not go in for the blind booking over the net from the Mahindra website, but decided to test drive the vehicle first. Called up Zulaikha Motors, Chennai and asked them if a test drive vehicle was available. The manual version was available but I was asked to visit the showroom for the test drive. They would not bring the car home for the TEST drive. No complaints at all, since the vehicle was just out. Decided on Zulaikha Motors, Velacherry, Chennai over the other 2 dealers, since it was close to my residence.

Meanwhile, went onto OLX, renewed my advertisement by reducing my expected amount by Rs 25000. Forgot, forgot. The Miracle - The wife also fell for the looks of the TUV, exteriors and interiors. Engine spec dont matter to her, as long as it moves without being pushed by others. So on 15.09.15 afternoon an 'all excited' bunch of 4 (incl the 2 kids) reach Zulaikha Motors, only to be disappointed. The Test Drive vehicle had gone for servicing and will be back only by 1900 hrs and we were not willing to wait for so long. But we made up by checking out the displayed vehicle, a T8 in silver. All four of us took turns in sitting in all seats and the kids loved the jump seat at the third row. The clutch felt light but the gear rubbery. All switch gear felt well made and sturdy, and clicked properly into place, except for the HVAC air distribution control dial. The fit and finish was impressive. The car was real TOUGH.

The Sales executive kept mentioning that they already had 20 plus booking and kept insisting that I make a booking. I resisted the urge and told him that I do a TEST DRIVE first. On 19.09.15 we all visited the showroom for the test drive. Both the kids immediately ran to the third row. Wife sat in the second row. Started the engine and I was impressed. The test drive was a short one as they had a lot of customers waiting. I told the showroom that I need a longer test drive to decide, and asked him to call me when the vehicle is available. And that happened only on the 25th or 26th. After which I was floored. The booking amount was paid, and color option was given as either orange or black, with a maximum of a months waiting period. And I kept waiting for TBHP's official review.

Around the 30th of September, got a call from Mr Sharath, the sales person at Zulaikha Motors. I was informed that a Black, White and Silver T8 were in transit which had not been allotted to anyone, and if the color interested me, I could confirm the vehicle by paying half the amount, and the delivery would be in a weeks time. The tempt was too good to resist. I told him that I need time to think it over and get the cash ready. In the meanwhile, the sale of the vento was getting confirmed.

The next day I called up the showroom and informed them that I will take the black one and shall make the payment by the 3rd of October.
3rd October made the payments, signed the required papers. Deal done and the short wait started. On 07.10.15 I got a call saying that the vehicle has arrived and will be taken for registration the next day. I told them that I need to have a look at the vehicle before it was take for registration. Went to the showroom that day evening and saw the black tank. She looked lovely. Got the key to the vehicle, checked all lights, operation of switch gear etc. Inspected the vehicle inside and out for damages and then finally signed on the form 20 for the registration. Delivery to be taken on Friday, 9th October evening.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 11:53. Reason: Formatting post.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:09   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

DAY 1 - 9 October - Reached the showroom by 1800 hours. We wanted to be there early and take delivery during daylight, but the evening traffic was horrible that day.

The previous day I had asked for seat covers, mud flaps, rain visor, chrome for the door handle and floor mats to be done. All these had been addressed and the vehicle was all ready, except for the number plates, which were being fixed.

It took around 15 minutes to sign the rest of the documents, delivery papers etc including a coupon for 10 litres of fuel, and then we were off to the delivery bay.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151010wa0010.jpg

My son had the honor of cutting the ribbon and he was mighty pleased about it.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151010wa0011.jpg

The showroom had their own poojari who performed the 'delivery pooja' and at around 1845 hours the keys were handed over to me.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151010wa0008.jpg

The car had 62 km on the odometer. It showed 41 km when I came in for the PDI and I was pleased with the low odometer reading.

Started the car and gently inched forward, squashing the lemons placed under the wheels, and then left the showroom with Mr Sharath along with us to show us the fuel station where we could redeem the coupon. Wife presented Sharath with a pen for his assistance through out the entire procedure.

Filled in just the 10 litres, as I preferred to top up from my regular fuel station closer to home.

Dropped Mr Sharath at the showroom and headed to Saibaba's temple on ECR.

The drive from the showroom to the temple was tense. With the kids shooting questions after question on their new car, while I was trying to navigate this wide beast through the evening rush hour traffic with just the intention of not getting the first scratch on the car on the first day.

That said, we reached the temple scratch free and paid respects and homage to Saibaba.

So much for the booking and delivery experience. The folks at Sulaikha Motors were great and I gave them a 9/10 on the feedback to Mahindra.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 18th October 2015 at 20:42. Reason: ownership review in making
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:22   #3
BHPian

Cost Breakdown:

EX SHOWROOM - 866302.00
INSURANCE - 36947.00 (BUMPER TO BUMBER)
REGISTRATION - 88730.00

TOTAL - 991979.00

Freebies given - coffee, tea and softdrinks during all our visits, and a box of chocolates on delivery.

Accessories installed prior to delivery:

Seatcover - 8115.00
Mudflap - 560.00
Mat (6 pcs) - 1455.00
Chrome for door handles - 2513.00
Rain visor - 1953.00
Total - 14596.00

Grand total on road - Rs 10,06,575.00

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 11:56. Reason: Formatting post.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:23   #4
BHPian

And after driving around for about 200 plus kilometres, now I come to that point to sum up what all I liked for 10 lakhs and what all I dislike or would have wanted for 10 lakhs.

What I liked:

- The looks. It is either a 'love it' or 'loathe it' answer from most. And mine was 'LOVE IT

- The compact length and the high seating position makes it easy to steer in traffic once you get the hang of its width, and you see what is happening way ahead of the cars in front of you.

- The noise or no noise. Found the engine to be quite quiet. The morning drive to office at 7 am, I now have to honk to let people taking their morning walk, know that I am behind them.

- The way the machine pulls through gears till around 80 kmph is good enough for getting away at signals and overtaking on the highways.

- The subdued grunt of diesel when you step on the throttle tells me that this baby 3 potter still has power, and I have started liking this grunt.

- The interiors are a class apart from the rest of the Mahindra except for the XUV 500, and looks like it has been put together well and should be able to remain rattle free and scratch free for sometime.

-The front seats are comfortable with adequate under thigh support, the back rest tilt adjustment lever locks up nicely at close intervals, unlike other vehicles, where one lock and the back is too vertical and the next lock and the back is too 'laid back'. With the steering being tilt adjustable and the drivers seat height adjustable, finding a right driving position was easy.

- The rear bench has lesser depth than the front seats and so tall persons might feel a lack of under thigh support here. The seat is wide, and 3 can sit comfortably with their arms down instead of some one having to take a whiff of the others under arms. The transmission tunnel does not intrude upwards much.

- Knee room is great in the front as well as in the 2nd row even with the front row pushed back completely.

- During the drives so far, found the suspension to be great. All bad pocket roads do not cause any concern, and the 'thuds', when driven hard, are reassuring. The high 75 profile 215 mm wide R15 tyres glides smoothly over the rough.

- Although there are no rear AC vents, the AC cools the cabin well and quickly. Will need to check this out later during the summers.

- The reverse sensors are quite sensitive and aid backing up effectively. Although there are 4 sensors on the rear bumper, the distances are shown in 3 zones on the display.

- The cornering lights work great, lighting the turns as you take them and surprising that autowallah by throwing some additional light on him. But I suspect that both the lights come on, irrespective of which side you are turning to, unlike the Yeti's cornering lights. I shall confirm on this later on.

- The way the doors open and close are confidence building. This one is no tin.

- 2 airbags and knowing that the car is equipped with ABS/EBD will give you confidence at higher speeds.

- For once Mahindra has given this car a decent horn, although not loud, it at least makes the others look up to see who is coming up from behind, unlike the Bolero's squeak, which even the Bolero driver might not hear. And once they see a black beast behind, they give way. Now those auto and bike guys will think twice. (no offence to the bikers, but the way they ride, I really need to offend them)

And for the CONs:

- no climate control. The AC is quite powerful so will have to adjust the temperature control knob frequently.

- no AC vents at the rear. Although the AC is powerful, it is noisy in the 3rd and 4th speed setting. Also when the AC fan speed is increased to cool the back seats, the people in the front will start freezing.

- no 'one touch' down/up for the windows.

- the door handles could have opened better/smoother.

- body roll at high speeds can be discerning initially till you get used to the fact that you will not topple over that easily.

- no seat belts for the last row. lap belts could have been added.

- although equipped with ABS, the brakes do not inspire confidence. The feel is spongy, although it stops on spot. Will require getting used to the feel and bite. The car bounces when coming to a stop after braking hard.

- the gear has slightly long rubbery throws and do not mesh in well at times. I just hope this is a teething problem and should fall in place as it gets worked up.

- After taking a turn, the steering does not return to the centre position automatically and requires some effort to bring it back to the centre. Need to check on this during the first service.

Few other points:

- The music system is just okay, enough to listen to music, but if you want to enjoy it, a speaker upgrade will be necessary. (one among my priority list).

- there is a slight vibration felt on the gear lever while in motion and at rest, and finally gives one big shake when the engine is turned off. Felt the same sort of vibrations on the Pajero and Pajero Sport too. So no complains.

- the fuel cap is not attached to the body, but the MAHINDRA logo on the spare wheel cap covering the spare wheel lock nut is attached. Mahindra policy - lose what ever you want but not the name ?

- The moment you raise the hood, the hazard lights come on automatically. A nice touch.

- The remote key fob remembers. Apart from the drivers door, if any of the door is open and the car is armed, the vehicle will beep thrice indicating that a door is open and will arm itself without a further press on the button when the open door has been shut. Nice and handy when you need to pick you sleeping son from the back seat. Open the door, arm the car, pick up son and kick the door shut.

- lead me and follow me light are nice with additional presses on the key extending the lighting duration.

- rear jump seats okay for short rides. My kids loved them, and although I don't feel safe, both of them insist on sitting there. Have agreed to their whims as long as it is within city.

- Although the dash looks nice and well put with strong plastics, the inside of the dash box contains a flimsy plastic portion but the plastics seem to be hard wearing. Time will tell.

- few rubber parts show that Mahindra have not forgotten their earlier build quality.

- When you start the engine in the mornings after being idle over the night, the engine temperature gauge shows one bar. At this stage, chances for engine to stall at lower speeds/higher gear is greater than when the engine has been warmed up nicely and the gauge show the normal temp of 4 bars.

- the audio/phone controls on the steering wheel has 3 in a column and 2 columns. If you do not look down you could end up pressing the wrong button. And by looking down at the steering wheel, the purpose of having the control there is being defeated. Will require getting used to the spacing.

- the rake on the front door is dangerous. It has been mentioned many times in the 'Next generation Mahindra Bolero?' thread. I did not get hit by the door, but today while opening the door I felt the wind draft on my eyebrow, which reminded me that you do not have to be 6 feet to have a bruise on your eyebrow. Mahindra should supply those boxer head gear to the owners.

- the hand rests are comfortable and should do a good job on long drives.

The Initial Driving Experience:

- Engine performance in the city : With the 230 nm of torque and a major portion coming up at RPMs as low as 1750, the car manages to pull cleanly from stops, and drive-ability in the city is good. The clutch has started getting soft, so the gear changes, when ever you require them, do not take much effort.

- Engine Performance on the highway : Although I still have not taken the car on a long trip, from what ever I have observed on the ECR, the TUV should be able to hold its ground but will require a down shift to make an overtake at speeds of over 90 kmph. At higher speeds, body roll is quite evident round curves, but straight line stability is excellent.

- Engine power and refinement : As I had mentioned earlier, the engine is very smooth, and with the glasses wound up noise intrusion into the cabin is minimal. At high speeds the noise is a nice soft hum, but gets loud when you downshift and press on the accelerator to overtake. I normally do not push a new car hard till I complete about 1500 km on the odo, so did not revv the engine too hard. Seemed to go up nicely till about 3000 RPM. Although a 3 pot engine on such a mammoth was not imaginable, it does do what it is required to do. And with the dual stage turbo charger and dual flywheel to reduce vibrations, I felt the low 84 bhp does feel more powerful than what it actually is on paper.

- Gear shift and clutch : Being new, slotting the gear required some effort. The throws were definitely not short and SWIFT like, but not long either. The feel was rubbery and notchy, and at time I could feel the grating as if the gears are not meshing cleanly. This I believe should be a teething problem and will settle down once the gear is worked upon in the future. The clutch was initially tight and very springy when I took delivery, but now it has become soft and will not put pressure or cause pain on your left knee even after drives which require frequent gear changes.

- NVH levels: The engine is quite refined and the dampening has been done up well, and the noise inside the cabin is very subdued. On the outside, too, the diesel clatter is not loud and at slow speeds within the colony, you require to use the horn to let people know that you are behind them. In cabin vibrations at startup and during the ride are minimal. The gear lever does vibrate slightly visually while in neutral and when in motion, but nothing near to the Bolero. While turning the car off, the gear lever gives one big shake while the engine dies down, the same as on the Bolero.

- Fuel efficiency: The DIS does not show the average fuel efficiency or an instantaneous fuel consumption. What it does show is only the DTE (distance to empty), and from this figures, I feel that I should be able to obtain something like 12 to 13 km in the city. I have topped up the tank the next day after delivery and shall figure out the exactly mileage after the next top up. I will follow up on this later.

- Suspension and ride quality : The high profile 15 inch CZAR tyres did a good job on the roads with not much tyre noise creeping in a high speeds. The ride at low speeds on bumpy roads caused the car to roll considerably. Taking a speed breaker at an angle causes the same. The soft suspension seems to be made to take the rough at a slightly higher speed, which is more comfortable than riding over these at crawl speeds. The noise from the suspension is nice and a confidence inspiring one, and does not give you a heartache when ever you hit a pothole.

- With the high body height and the soft suspension, body roll is evident and no where, car like. High speed cornering will take some time getting used to. In city the car is very comfortable to drive save for the slightly hard hydraulic steering, but will require some time getting used to the 1835 mm width. The steering weighs up nicely as the speeds build up and you do not feel detached from the car at high speeds. However at low and parkingspeeds, I felt that the steering should have been lighter. The wheel does not return back completely and without assistance, to the center after taking a turn, which is annoying. Will need to check on this during the first service.

- Braking : Although ABS is standard on the T8, with discs at the front and drums at the rear, the brake feels spongy and will require getting used to the bite. The nose dives down upon hard braking, although it does not bounce like the Scorpio. The car stops in time but with the spongy feel, you expect that the wheels might lock up if you press harder.

- Ground clearance : 191 mm of ground clearance is great when you take the car of the tarred road, and to clear those gigantic humps if at all you encounter one. The lines under the body is clean and the lowest point is the rear wheel drive hub.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 11:57. Reason: Formatting post.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Now I will let the pictures do the talking. I am no photographer so please bear with the photos, angles and frame composure.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1680.jpg

The Tank goes to office

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1698.jpg

Yes it crashed in through that hole you see on the right side wall.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1699.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1700.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1701.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1702.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1703.jpg

The spare wheel and the side step were not included when TUV went in for the 'sub 4 m' tax benefits:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1705.jpg

Short front overhang, attractive 15 inch alloys with high profile tyres make the ride soft and comfortable:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1707.jpg

Short rear overhang:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1706.jpg

Front doors open wide making ingress and egress easy. Watch your head though while opening the door:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1725.jpg

Rear door don't open as wide as the front, but is still comfortable enough:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1724.jpg

The back door opens the widest, and will require close to 2 metres free space behind to open the door full. Opening the door though is effortless:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1716.jpg

Minimum leg room at the front with the seat pulled forward to the maximum.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1726.jpg

Minimum and maximum leg room in the 2nd row of seats.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1728.jpg

Jump seats at the third row. Manageable for short in town rides. Adults will have to sit with their knees entwined:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1715.jpg

The jack, lever, wheel spanner, tow bolt and tool kit is fastened to the floor under the right jump seat. The tool kit consists of a 10/12 spanner and a single interchangeable plus/minus screw driver:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1719.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 12:00. Reason: Formatting post + image descriptions before the respective images. :)
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 18:34   #6
BHPian

Let the photos speak for themselves.

With the seat pushed forward, it becomes difficult to reach the Fuel Lid opening lever without opening the door:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1748.jpg

The fuse box located below the steering wheel. It contains a set of spare fuses, but no fuse puller. And try what ever you may, you just can not use your bare fingers to pull out a fuse. The fuse puller is in the engine bay:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1778.jpg

The instrument cluster with the so called DIS in the centre:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1695.jpg

The gear indicator is a waste. It does not suggest the gear that the vehicle has to be driven in, it shows which gear the vehicle is in. The DIS toggles to show between 2 trip meters, an AC trip meter which indicates the kilometers run with the AC switched on and every minute of stoppage being counted as 1 km, and a DTE counter. No real time fuel efficiency or an average fuel consumption.

A lot of cubby holes, but I just could not find a place to put my sunglasses with the case:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1794.jpg

The rear view through the IVRM:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1759.jpg

The spare wheel obstructs the view, and a small bike or a scooter just behind the car in traffic may go un-noticed. The elephant ear OVRM compensates for the IVRMs shortfalls.

The glove box inside plastic sheet is a bit flimsy:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1734.jpg

The fuel cap is not attached to the body. It is in my hand (see the reflection) and can end up in the pump attenders pocket:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1768.jpg

The rear quarter glass opens towards the back, outwards around 3 inches:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1741.jpg

The steering wheel with audio and phone controls:

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1784.jpg

No leather wrap, but the feel is nice and inspiring. The controls buttons are small and will require looking down onto the switches to actually press them, so that you do not press the wrong one.

The switches for the power windows are placed on the centre console, so the front doors do not have individual controls. Once the safety lock button for the rear windows is engaged, even the central control unit buttons for the rear windows will not work.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1762.jpg

The grab handle are the fixed type over all doors including the tailgate, with the driver side being exempted.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1739.jpg

Would have loved to have one for the driver too, to aid him in hauling himself in and out of the tank. The rotating roof lamps are a nice touch and useful too.

The 3 potter is hidden behind that black plastic cladding.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1752.jpg

The engine hood is well dampened and the noise intrusion into the cabin is minimal. I now have to honk when I approach people on their morning walk fro behind. With the Vento, they knew I was coming. A nice addition is that the moment the hood is lifted, the hazard lights start blinking till the hood is closed back.

The pedals are well spaced. The clutch has now become light, but a dead pedal will be missed on those long runs.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1749.jpg

TUV300 well ahead of the times. RFID tag already on front glass.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1758.jpg

The quality of the plastics are excellent and look like it should last like a tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1730.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1732.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1731.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1717.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1718.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1735.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1751.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1754.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1789.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1781.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1782.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1783.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1785.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1788.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1787.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 13:43. Reason: Formatting post + image descriptions before the respective images. :)
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 18:39   #7
BHPian

A few more snaps

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1745.jpg
The logo on the spare wheel cover. This hides the nut holding the cover in place.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1802.jpg
This logo is attached to the spare wheel cover. You can loose your fuel cap, but you should never loose a Mahindra Logo. I need to put a lock in there before my spare vanishes.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1805.jpg
The set of instruction manuals and service booklets that came with the keys.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 15th October 2015 at 23:02. Reason: ownership review in making
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 18:43   #8
BHPian

And finally, the Indian thorough bred next to my neighbors Japanese one. The tank can hold its ground.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1798.jpg
The TUV looks taller

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1800.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1771.jpg
The 190 mm ground clearance. Clean lines under the car.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-dsc_1779.jpg
One last look and thanx to GTO for the suggestions on editing the review to make it worth reading.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 20th October 2015 at 10:46. Reason: ownership review in making
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:16   #10
BHPian

congratulations Caption Rex on your new ride and thanks for the initial ownership report!

Wish you many happy miles ahead with the tank! I saw my first (and black) colored TUV300 on Koot Road near Medavakkam last weekend and I don't know if it was yours.

My first impression was that the car really looks impressive and sturdy. I now have to TD the vehicle and see if I can live with it on a day-to-day basis in bumper to bumper traffic.

Thanks once again!

Last edited by nivatakavacha : 20th October 2015 at 12:18.
nivatakavacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:00   #11
BHPian

@ Captain rex, I have booked the vehicle on the launch day, but even after taking two test drives which does not include highway, I am little confused whether to go for this vehicle or not. I am waiting for more than a month for the Team BHP review and now have started looking for premium hatchbacks. But still both me and my wife are not able to forget the tank. An encouraging Team BHP review and we are going to bring her home!

Please update regarding you long and highway ride, thanks
sallubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Captain rex! Very detailed review aswell Had seen the TUV in person few days back and i sure did like the new looks! Wish you miles and miles of happiness with the new Tank!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
... I am little confused whether to go for this vehicle or not.... and now have started looking for premium hatchbacks.
Let me chip in with some unsolicited advise, because I own both a premium hatch and a big Mahindra.

Unless you have serious problems with parking space, there's little need to go for a premium hatch. Crossover vehicles ("SUV") like EcoSport/TUV/Duster drive like and behave like hatchbacks. You will always get a commanding view ahead plus you won't be blinded in night driving just as you might in a low-lung hatch. The usual street hooligans will think twice before doing their usual antics against a Mahindra vehicle, or you can be a hooligan if you go for a white Bolero..

These vehicles are -in paper-just as safe as Polo/Punto/I20 and the mileage is virtually the same. In real life these are actually much safer than the hatches, due to the above-said reasons.

You can bring home odd things like barrels, washing machine, coconuts, firewood, odd-shaped furniture and even certain bathroom fittings.

You cannot take hairpin curves in 60kmph and you might not win 0-100.

I have other constraints else I would have replaced my red rocket Punto with a Bolero or Duster.

EDIT: Congratulations Tank Captain! Drive safe!!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 20th October 2015 at 13:37.
sandeepmdas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:38   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Captain Rex on your TUV3OO. It is great looking and on the other day, I saw a white on a turn with a side/front view and it looked great with those grills. All the very best and enjoy the Tank.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the tank Cap. The car has improved a lot especially the interiors. Good to see that they have added jump seats in the third row. Useful when you have a large family. I did find it difficult to sit but can manage for that short drives.

Enjoy your new ride and keep the thread updated.

One question - How is the bumper paint quality? The car we show at the showroom clearly missed the clear coat and it looked a bit weird. Do check on yours.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed