Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Good to know that your MASS is able to sort out most of the issues that you were facing. Such types of niggles are a given in any new Mahindra launch. Also it is assuring to know that the TUV can run in tripple digit speeds without much of an issue.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:07   #77
BHPian

Sad the Mahindra vehicles still have so much of issues in early stages of ownership. Good part is that the A.S.S. has been efficient in solving your problems.

Wish you a niggle free ownership from here on at least.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:30   #78
BHPian

Thanks, Captain for the detailed updates on the problems.

About the steering centering, you may want to check-out another TUV300 and compare. The service guys should know it but the caster angle is probably one of the areas to check.

Hope your tank was reasonably safe during the recent flooding in Chennai.

Happy Driving
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 19:26   #79
BHPian

Captain,

Amazing review. Missed it. You have captured most of the details which I wanted to know about this vehicle.

A TUV stood next to my Ertiga in a signal and it felt as if I was in a sedan and he was in a SUV.

I also had a few questions, if you help me with that. I am confused between the XUV 500 and this one.

1. How does the vehicle behave in cornering?
2. If you accidentally jump a speed breaker, does it throw the passengers off the seat or it is negligible
3. How is the throw for the passengers in the last jump seats. Does it go that far.

Thanks
darkbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbull View Post
A TUV stood next to my Ertiga in a signal and it felt as if I was in a sedan and he was in a SUV.
No doubt the TUV has a towering presence not just in front of the cars in its segment (price wise), but even in front of cars two segments above. Remember, CAPTAIN'S TUV standing besides the Fortuner in his apartment parking, such is its presence. Why just the Ertiga, even the Innova feels miniscule in front of the TUV

Quote:
I also had a few questions, if you help me with that. I am confused between the XUV 500 and this one.

2. If you accidentally jump a speed breaker, does it throw the passengers off the seat or it is negligible
3. How is the throw for the passengers in the last jump seats. Does it go that far.

Thanks
Till the time you wait for CAPTAIN'S feedback on the above queries, let me pitch in with my thoughts. Answer these questions

First and foremost are you ready to stretch your budget to 14-15 lacs range for the W4 variant of XUV?
Are you looking for a proper 7 seater or a proper 5 seater and an occasional 5+2 seater?
Hope you are aware of the monocoque Vs ladder on frame construction and the difference between the two
Do you want a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive car?
Are you looking for a highway cruiser prominently or a mostly city driven car with occasional highway trips?
Old 27th November 2015, 00:16   #81
BHPian

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

1. First and foremost are you ready to stretch your budget to 14-15 lacs range for the W4 variant of XUV?
2. Are you looking for a proper 7 seater or a proper 5 seater and an occasional 5+2 seater?
3. Hope you are aware of the monocoque Vs ladder on frame construction and the difference between the two
4. Do you want a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive car?
5. Are you looking for a highway cruiser prominently or a mostly city driven car with occasional highway trips?

I'm confused too. I would like to add Scorpio to the mix and help narrow down the search

Here are my answers and follow up queries

2. Occasional 5+2
3. Which one is more comfy and more durable ? Monocoque?
4. Which one is better between FWD and RWD?
5. Highway cruiser and occasional city would be XUV?

Last edited by TMRT : 27th November 2015 at 00:20.
Old 27th November 2015, 06:33   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
I'm confused too
My 2 cents. Its going to be a combination of price-value & what you like to drive.
1)Monocoques drive a lot like a car & hence more comfortable on good/moderate roads but if you plan to do trips which also involve bad roads, then a ladder frame is better.
2)Technically,FWD are more economical but in real world scenario, there is not a whole lot of difference between the two if you consider FE & Total cost of ownership including periodic maintenance
3)TUV can be a highway cruiser as long as you keep it under 3.5k rpm 110 kmph range.

If you add scorpio to the mix, then its even more confusing as that's a great machine riding on a good engine. Hence I will try and break this down for you.

Scenario 1: If money is not a constraint & you need an all round car that can handle both city & highway (60:40)
a) Pliant ride and extreme comfort is the need, then XUV
b) Moderate comfort with loads of power & tech loaded in the car, then Scorpio

Scenario 2: If money is a constraint & city:highway is still 60:40
a) Best value for minimal payout without a lot of compromise on comfort & handling, then TUV
b) Need the bigger engine and power to race down highways, then Scorpio

If you add the Ertiga, Duster, Ecosport, S-Cross to the above mix, then your situation is similar to the greedy brahmin who walks into the wedding lunch after having a heavy meal at home The only way to answer this is test drives. Drive all these cars, as much as you can and you should find it easy to zero in on one. I was pretty sure I would book the ertiga shvs in Jan but a few test drives of the TUV was all that was needed to change my mind.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 10:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm confused too. I would like to add Scorpio to the mix and help narrow down the search

Here are my answers and follow up queries

2. Occasional 5+2
3. Which one is more comfy and more durable ? Monocoque?
4. Which one is better between FWD and RWD?
5. Highway cruiser and occasional city would be XUV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you add the Ertiga, Duster, Ecosport, S-Cross to the above mix, then your situation is similar to the greedy brahmin who walks into the wedding lunch after having a heavy meal at home The only way to answer this is test drives. Drive all these cars, as much as you can and you should find it easy to zero in on one. I was pretty sure I would book the ertiga shvs in Jan but a few test drives of the TUV was all that was needed to change my mind.
Hello TMRT, our dear friend procrj has summarized it so well, that I cannot add anything further beyond what he has said, well done mate

Each person has his own requirements, budget, constraints etc. For me, to be honest, budget was not a constraint. I could have easily managed the additional 4-5 lacs (for the Scorpio-S10 or XUV5OO-W4/W6) over and above the 10 lacs that I spent for the TUV. However for that extra premium, what was on offer was not worth it given my requirements. Both XUV and Scorpio are very good highway cruisers, with ample power in reserve. However my driving would be in the ratio of 80:20 (city:highway).

The biggest deterrent for not opting either the XUV or Scorpio was my tight apartment parking. The Innova itself was a tight sqeeze. The huge XUV with larger turning radius was a strict no. Scorpio also was a very tight fit. The TUV on the other hand was a perfect fit, just tailor made for my parking slot. It offered me best of both worlds, a rugged SUV with a compact foot print. I couldn't have asked for more.

As procrj has recommended, take extensive test drives of all the three cars listed above. Drive them in the conditions that you are going to drive it throughout its lifecycle. If your car is going to be on the highway for most of the times, then test drive it extensively on the higways.

I think multiple test drives in varying conditions, terrain and load would help you make an informed decision that would be most suitable for you.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 22:55   #84
BHPian

Actually found another thread that has more SUV variants compared. So the body roll for XUV should be less as a characteristic of a monocoque.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165215

Actually tight parking space is also a big constraint for me and hence I'm ruling out XUV500 altogether.

Thanks PROCRJ and AUTOINDIAN
Old 29th November 2015, 21:43   #85
BHPian

Thanks Captain for this wonderful and practical review. Like many others in the thread I was looking for a new vehicle to fit our family of six people(4 reasonably built adults & 2 kids).
Coming from a WagonR(which was recently sold) Ertiga was a natural choice and was waiting from June for the facelift version to be launched. After TUV launched, it's VFM proposition really appealed to me, but it was the reviews like that of yours, Autoindian's, the official review and ofcourse the test drives that helped in the final decision making a lot and I am glad to choose the TUV. We are now waiting for our black TUV to be delivered. Cheers!
sathyasuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 03:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post

Hope your tank was reasonably safe during the recent flooding in Chennai.

Happy Driving
Thanx AutoSphere, Not only was the tank safe during the rains and flooding, she took it all in her stride. The high ground clearance made wading through the water logged roads kids play, and right now, is taking all the beating and abuse, from the bad roads after the rains, very well.
Below is a small video of the tank passing through a water logged road where cars were abandoned after a breakdown midway. No offense to the other cars, please. Please excuse the video quality. Got reduced automatically while uploading to youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbull View Post

Thanks
Thanx Darkbull, I guess all your question regarding XUV5OO would have been answered by AutoIndian and RJ.
1. There is body roll if you take corners at high speed, but not as much as that on a scorpio, but more than what you would feel on the XUV.
2. If you jump a speed breaker straight, you would not feel much of the impact, but by chance you make a mistake of jumping the speed breaker at an angle, that will really throw you off.
3. Although the kids love the jump seats, I do not let them sit there on long drives. These seats have been used only for short city commutes. Since the jump seats are right above the rear wheels, I guess it would not be like what you would experience on other vehicles with 3 rows of seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Till the time you wait for CAPTAIN'S feedback on the above queries, let me pitch in with my thoughts.
Thanx AutoIndian for pitching in and keeping the thread alive.

Quote:

If you add the Ertiga, Duster, Ecosport, S-Cross to the above mix, then your situation is similar to the greedy brahmin who walks into the wedding lunch after having a heavy meal at home The only way to answer this is test drives.
RJ, Thanx to you too for the responses to Darkbull and TMRT.
'Scenario 2' got me thinking, but I definitely would not go in for a Scorpio. I somehow have not taken a liking for the shape, even in its new avatar. I liked the new interiors though.
The 'greedy brahmin' example has hammered down what ever queries and confusions that would have come up on choosing between Ertiga, Duster, Ecosport, S-Cross, XUV, TUV, Scorpio etc etc. No one will now dare ask you that question.

[quote=TMRT;3856791]I'm confused too. I would like to add Scorpio to the mix and help narrow down the search
TMRT, hope Procrj has cleared your confusion. If there is no restrictions on the budget, do multiple 'test drives' of the vehicles and then you will certainly have your confusions cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Thanks Captain for this wonderful and practical review.
We are now waiting for our black TUV to be delivered. Cheers!
Thanx Sathyasuri, and welcome to the Club of Tank owners. The beast in lack looks menacing on the roads.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 10:57   #87
BHPian

Hi Captain, Hope you and your family are safe and dry after current flood deluge in your area.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 00:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:

The only way to answer this is test drives. Drive all these cars, as much as you can and you should find it easy to zero in on one. I was pretty sure I would book the ertiga shvs in Jan but a few test drives of the TUV was all that was needed to change my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post

TMRT, hope Procrj has cleared your confusion. If there is no restrictions on the budget, do multiple 'test drives' of the vehicles and then you will certainly have your confusions cleared.
So finally took a test drive to clear the confusion as suggested by you veterans and sorry to say but it was a disappointment!

After driving automatics for 15+ years this is first time ever i felt like I was sitting in some badly serviced auto with engine and some unique discouraging noise while accelerating.

I will take test drive from some other show room just to rule out it was not just that particular TD vehicle and give it a benefit of doubt.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only was the tank safe during the rains and flooding, she took it all in her stride. The high ground clearance made wading through the water logged roads kids play, and right now, is taking all the beating and abuse, from the bad roads after the rains, very well.
Quote:
Hi Captain, Hope you and your family are safe and dry after current flood deluge in your area.
Hello Captain, no reply to sathyasuri's message posted above on 6th Dec. Hope you and your family are safe and sound. Most importantly hope your Black Tank has also weathered the torrential downpour in Chennai and come out unscathed. After reading horror stories of submerged cars in Chennai, here on TBHP and elsewhere I am feeling very jittery. One of my friend's on another forum had his huge Safari Storme submerged under 11 feet of water. Waiting with bated breath to hear from you. Please keep us posted on your situation.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not only was the tank safe during the rains and flooding, she took it all in her stride
Captain - hope your family and the tank managed to weather the rains with minimal damage. Heard that things around velachery were pretty bad. Hope you managed to come out physically unscathed.
Quote:
Sathyasuri - hope you and your family are ok
Quote:
i felt like I was sitting in some badly serviced auto with engine and some unique discouraging noise while accelerating
If your point of reference is a petrol automatic (like the i10 or polo GT or even the asprire), then yes, you will feel that the engine is unrefined and the shifts are not great. You need to compare this with other AMT offerings like the Zest AMT to really ensure that you are comparing apples to apples. In the end, this is a 3 pot Diesel under 10L and you need to come to terms with that.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed