Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 05:00   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
...need to compare this with other AMT offerings like the Zest AMT to really ensure that you are comparing apples to apples. In the end, this is a 3 pot Diesel under 10L and you need to come to terms with that.
You are bringing in a compact-sedan into the mix and calling it an Apple to Apple? Please don't bring in Celerio AMT next

Based on some digging through various threads I tend to believe that TUV being such a heavy 3pot Diesel engine, an AMT gear box is bound to struggle and cause those hard to ignore jerky experiences at every gear shift like the ones I experienced in my two test drives. Can't imagine owning it as a long term vehicle .

While I'm a staunch supporter of Make in India campaign, I kind of wonder why one of my seniors in my office stated recently 'Stay away from a newly launched model of a desi launch and allow them to sort out issues in subsequent releases. Vice versa for foreign automakers consider their first releases and stay away from subsequent ones'. His observation in the later case is that quality usually goes down as they sort out for locally sourced parts / accessories / more fibre less metal etc etc

That's it fellas after a second test drive TUV AMT for now and of course DSG in general due to its reliability issues ruled out as a choice of auto gear box.

If I were to buy an automatic my next vehicle's got to be a TC or a CVT even if that means resorting to a sedan. Hopefully over the course of my ownership AMTs will be better tuned to pulling awe inspiring road taming TUV type beasts!

Last edited by TMRT : 9th December 2015 at 05:02.
TMRT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 06:57   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
You are bringing in a compact-sedan into the mix and calling it an Apple to Apple? Please don't bring in Celerio AMT next
That was the closest 'Apple' that I could chose but agree that comparing the two is not doing justice as the BHP per ton is way different.
Quote:
If I were to buy an automatic my next vehicle's got to be a TC or a CVT even if that means resorting to a sedan
Not considering the Figo DCT? Not sure how reliable the DCT is when compared to the VAG DSG
Old 9th December 2015, 20:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Sathyasuri - hope you and your family are ok.
Yes Procrj, we are safe and dry, thanks for checking. So when is your TUV coming? I hope to hear about mine this week.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 11:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi Captain, Hope you and your family are safe and dry after current flood deluge in your area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Captain, no reply to sathyasuri's message posted above on 6th Dec. Hope you and your family are safe and sound. Most importantly hope your Black Tank has also weathered the torrential downpour in Chennai and come out unscathed. After reading horror stories of submerged cars in Chennai, here on TBHP and elsewhere I am feeling very jittery. One of my friend's on another forum had his huge Safari Storme submerged under 11 feet of water. Waiting with bated breath to hear from you. Please keep us posted on your situation.
Quote:
Captain - hope your family and the tank managed to weather the rains with minimal damage. Heard that things around velachery were pretty bad. Hope you managed to come out physically unscathed.
Sathyasuri - hope you and your family are ok
Thanx to all, Sathyasuri, AutoIndian and RJ. We are all fine by gods grace. We were lucky and did not have water logging or flooding in our area, but had to leave Chennai for a few days due to the severe power failure, domestic water shortage and provision shortage. Drove to Coimbatore.

Sathyasuri, I hope you and family are safe and doing good.

Shall update on the drive, handling and highway FE once things have settled down to better levels here.
The TUV is doing good so far, and ferrying me comfortably between home and office, now that many roads are non existent. Will be giving the TUV for her first service today, if the service stations are not overloaded with the vehicles damaged due to the water.
I have already crossed 4000 km.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
We were lucky and did not have water logging or flooding in our area ...
Good to know that you & your family are safe.
Quote:
Sathyasuri, I hope you and family are safe and doing good.
Yes Captain, we are safe and were mostly dry - except when the flood level peaked and there was some water in our home's ground floor.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:54   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So when is your TUV coming?
1st Jan. Should be dispatched from the plant on 15/16th
Quote:
Shall update on the drive, handling and highway FE
Please do share
Old 10th December 2015, 19:32   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx to all, Sathyasuri, AutoIndian and RJ. We are all fine by gods grace. We were lucky and did not have water logging or flooding in our area, but had to leave Chennai for a few days due to the severe power failure, domestic water shortage and provision shortage. Drove to Coimbatore.
Good to know that you and your family are safe.

Quote:
Will be giving the TUV for her first service today, if the service stations are not overloaded with the vehicles damaged due to the water.
I have already crossed 4000 km.
Why did you wait for so long? You should have given it for the first service when it reached 3K kms. First oil change should not be delayed that much. If the service centre is completely booked and you don't get an appointment, I would suggest at least get the oil and oil filter changed asap.

Quote:
Yes Captain, we are safe and were mostly dry - except when the flood level peaked and there was some water in our home's ground floor.
Good to know sathyasuri that you and your family are safe.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:41   #98
BHPian

Not sure if someone observed this, TUV's twitter handle used your tank's snap in their twitter handle
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-mahindra_twitter_hanle.jpg  

ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:39   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Not sure if someone observed this, TUV's twitter handle used your tank's snap in their twitter handle
That's because they tweeted a link to captain's ownership thread
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 15:58   #100
BHPian

The TUV 300 threads on the forum are turning out nicely with no major problems and most negative viewpoints before launch turning positive /acceptable.

The traditional Mahindra strategy of strong build/pulling power/road presence/rear wheel drive seems to have worked well.

I think its turning into a viable option for aspirational SUV buyers and also a crowd puller to Mahindra showrooms.

I think the 1.5 engine will trickle down to all their vehicles down the line.
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 13:42   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Please do share
Not happy with the FE that I am presently getting. I am hoping that it will increase after the first servicing. I have been using the TUV3OO app from Mahindra to keep track of the fuel expenses and consumptions. The app is good but the figures it gives out are not nice.
Below is a screenshot of the details after the last refuel.
Highway FE also disappoints. (between 3rd and 7th of December)

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-fe.png

On the 'ESCAPE CHENNAI' drive to Coimbatore the Tank performed nicely. No break downs, except for once when the engines stalled while negotiating a crowded junction at slow speeds in 2nd gear. Had a heart in mouth situation when the Tank did not start on the first crank. Having gotten used to the Vento's re cranking system, I turn the key to the OFF position before cranking. However the Tank had some momentum, so managed to pull over to the side. Switched off the AC and ignition, slotted the gear into neutral and twisted the keys, and the Tank comes back to life and we are good to go. Can not figure out why it would have happened, unless I would have popped the clutch to fast. Can not recall that. The engine was nicely warmed up, and showing 5 bars.

Apart from that all went well. No complaints on the 0 to 80/90 kmph time take on the highways and still had enough grunt in the 5th gear to over take slower vehicles, but in an unhurried manner. After 120 kmph, it takes forever to reach 140 kmph, the maximum I could get out of the TUV on straight flat roads. Definitely not a car to weave in and out and keep on overtaking on the 6 lane highways.

At 140 kmph the RPM needle hovered at around 3400. The vehicle felt sturdy, with no buffeting from the cross wind or when other bigger vehicles overtake closely.

The noise inside the cabin was pretty loud at this speeds, and the music system goes inaudible, unless the volume is increased, which then turns out to be loud when you reduce to less than 100. That was irritating. I normally play the music softly, so that conversation goes on without having to raise our voices.

Brakes were affective and brought the vehicle to stops whenever required without any 'heart-stop'. Noticed a metallic rattling sound when braking hard from high speeds over rough patches, although the stopping effectiveness did not reduce. Mentioned this which giving the TUV for its first service yesterday.

Air Con was affective and was always on the ECO mode, with the blower on speed 1.

The engine temperature gauge remained at the normal 5 bars, and not moving any higher up. 5 bars is what I have been having normally.

At the 2 places we stopped enroute for refreshments, few curious people came over wanting to know the performance, comfort levels and FE of the tank.

Overall we all enjoyed the unexpected trip and reached our destinations without much strain and relaxed.

Was slightly apprehensive till we reached somewhere close to Ulundurpet, about 200 km from Chennai until we found a working ATM. We had left Chennai with just Rs 300 in hand, and that was fast finishing by paying the tolls. (the government had announced the 'toll exemption' in TN on the same day, but the toll booths were not aware of it, so had to pay toll.

Luckily I had enough diesel in the Tank, slightly more than half the tank full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Why did you wait for so long? You should have given it for the first service when it reached 3K kms. asap.
Actually I was planning to give the TUV for her first service at 3000 km, but that was when Chennai had this Flood Crisis and we had to leave town. We left Chennai with around 2400 km on the odo. Did not get time while at Coimbatore to give the TUV for servicing, and only managed to give it yesterday, with the odo reading 4183 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Thanx Ambulal, did not notice it earlier. Now I am famous.

Quote:
That's because they tweeted a link to captain's ownership thread
Heha, Now I can claim ROYALTY from Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
The TUV 300 threads on the forum are turning out nicely with no major problems and most negative viewpoints before launch turning positive /acceptable.
Correct DrSingh, all the TUVs on the forum have so far not had major issues, except for SilverKnights T8 AMT. M&M seems to have done a good job before launching the Tank, unlike what they did with the XUV.
Personally I would not like the 1.5 L on the bigger Mahindra vehicles. This low 1.5 L displacement engine is not good enough to move the bulk of all those 2 ton plus SUVs.

FIRST FREE SERVICE ON THE TANK

Took delivery of the Tank after her first service yesterday, 11.12.2015. The service was overdue. Had done around 4100 km instead of the recommended 3000 km. Thanx to the Chennai rains.
Got the appointment fixed by calling on the previous day, 10.11.2015 and I am grateful to the staff of Zulaikha Motors, for arranging one immediately, in-spite of having close to 100 vehicle damaged due the floods in and around their service station. I informed them that I would drop the vehicle on 10th evening and collect it on the next day evening, since the office timings did not permit me to go in the morning.
2 long lines of M&M vehicle on the roadside in front of the MASS was what greeted me when I reached the workshop. All were cars damaged by the flood and brought here towed or on flatbeds. A total of 96 vehicles till yesterday.

Below is the Service Invoice.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-1st-svc.jpg

Total cost Rs 3354/ which included a 3M engine coating which I had not asked for and was not informed of when they did it. Came to know of it only when I received the bill.
I told the service adviser of the same, and he accepted that it was his fault. He was under the impression that he had mentioned it to me. I did not pursue the matter further since I guess it will help keep the grime away during the rains, and knowing that the staff at the MASS have their hand and heads overloaded with all those flood affect vehicles that a little bit of forgetfulness should be accepted.
The Tank rides smoother now and I hope the FE increases also. Fingers crossed.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 14:17   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Not happy with the FE that I am presently getting. I am hoping that it will increase after the first servicing. I have been using the TUV3OO app from Mahindra to keep track of the fuel expenses and consumptions. The app is good but the figures it gives out are not nice.
Below is a screenshot of the details after the last refuel.
Highway FE also disappoints. (between 3rd and 7th of December)

That is interesting. Seems to be roughly inline with the numbers posted on bbc topgear - fuel efficiency figures 9.8 kmpl for city and 13.3 kmpl for highways.

Anything above 90kmph will reduce highway fuel efficiency. Hopefully it should improve after your first service.

http://www.topgear.com/india/mahindr...v300/itemid-51
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 15:22   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not happy with the FE that I am presently getting
Hope it gets better post the service.
Quote:
After 120 kmph, it takes forever to reach 140 kmph
Surprised that you even tried to touch 140
Quote:
The noise inside the cabin was pretty loud at this speeds, and the music system goes inaudible
Disheartening to hear that. Not that I expect to touch 140 a lot but still would have expected noise levels to be consistent after 110-120 and not increase to unhealthy levels
Quote:
Brakes were affective and brought the vehicle to stops whenever required without any 'heart-stop'.
Good to know that
Quote:
Noticed a metallic rattling sound when braking hard from high speeds over rough patches
Did they sort this out? Could have been the pad clip not sitting right. Has this issue with my WagonR and had to change it.
Name:  discb.png
Views: 5572
Size:  40.5 KB
Source - Quora
Quote:
Personally I would not like the 1.5 L on the bigger Mahindra vehicles
I think drsingh is talking about the XUV100 & other mini SUVs that Mahindra has planned and not the Scorpio/Bolero
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 15:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not happy with the FE that I am presently getting. I am hoping that it will increase after the first servicing.
Sincerely hope that it increases after the first oil change. I may be asking stupid questions, but please don't mind answering them:
  • Do you rev the engine too much while changing gears?
  • In traffic don't you use the engine's very good low end torque just to potter around?
  • The max torque band is in the range of 1500-2250 rpm. Don't you try to maintain the car in this rpm range most of the times?
  • Also don't you use engine braking? After hard acceleration and then hard braking is surely bound to increase the fuel consumption
I have followed most of the above points. Though till date I have driven 100% within city and with 100% AC, I have been rewarded FE figures of 13.46 and 14.29 kmpl in the last two tankfuls. Till date I have filled diesel from Shell bunks only. Try to drive the car with above points in mind and I am sure you can see at least a 2-3 kmpl jump.

Quote:
Had a heart in mouth situation when the Tank did not start on the first crank. Having gotten used to the Vento's re cranking system, I turn the key to the OFF position before cranking. However the Tank had some momentum, so managed to pull over to the side. Switched off the AC and ignition, slotted the gear into neutral and twisted the keys, and the Tank comes back to life and we are good to go. Can not figure out why it would have happened, unless I would have popped the clutch to fast. Can not recall that. The engine was nicely warmed up, and showing 5 bars.
This weird behavior has puzzled me many times. Will definitely get to the root cause of it till I get the first service.

Quote:
FIRST FREE SERVICE ON THE TANK
Quote:

Below is the Service Invoice.

Attachment 1449418

Total cost Rs 3354/ which included a 3M engine coating which I had not asked for and was not informed of when they did it. Came to know of it only when I received the bill.
Thanks for sharing the service details. I beleive Mahindra has not modified the crank case when they converted the 2.2L mHawk to 1.5L mHawk, by chopping one cylinder, else why the small 1.5L engine would have required 6 litres of engine oil?
Old 16th January 2016, 08:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

The traditional Mahindra strategy of strong build/pulling power/road presence/rear wheel drive seems to have worked well.

I think its turning into a viable option for aspirational SUV buyers and also a crowd puller to Mahindra showrooms.

Looks like I spoke too soon.Niggles are popping up.Engine problems,rattles.Mahindra seems to be handling it well.I hope it turns out well for our early adopters.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks