Team-BHP - Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/169725-hyundai-creta-1-6l-diesel-automatic-ownership-experience.html)

The odometer currently reads 865 kms as I sit to compile my first ever Ownership experience for TBHP. There are quite a few on-going discussions on the Creta and a lot has been covered. We have been following up on the Creta since its concept unveiling as the ix25. This compilation comprises what my family and I have experienced with the car.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-night.jpg
Why the Creta?
For more than a year we were looking to replace Dad’s Hyundai Getz. Big Bro and I had decided that it had to be an Automatic for the ease of driving. As regards my Dad, he was clear that he wanted a car with good ground clearance and a high seating position. At this point our daily use garage consisted of – Hyundai Getz GLS 2005, Toyota Innova 2.5GX 2010 and Tata Nano LX. While I used the Innova, Dad used the Getz for drives which majorly consisted of in city driving and weekend drives to our native place, the Nano is used by my wife to chauffer our toddler to and from school and other places toddlers go . Dad loved the seating position of the Innova but it was too big a vehicle to lug around the city.

With this and a budget of around 15.0 in mind we were constantly in search. The following were the options we considered –
1. Skoda Yeti: We took a test drive and we all absolutely loved the vehicle, especially the 4x4 Elegance. However the absence of an Automatic and the ridiculous price tag meant that we had to drop the idea. The availability of an Auto could have made us seriously reconsider it.
2. Renault Duster / Nissan Terrano: The only plus point of either of the vehicles was the ride quality but, the interior design and finish is just not acceptable at the price point. As with the Yeti, the absence of the Auto was the last nail in the coffin.
3. Mahindras and Tatas: The XUV was the only vehicle worth considering if at all, but then we clearly wanted to stay away from both these manufacturers. I feel our Indian manufacturers are eons behind the Koreans and the Japanese, let alone the Europeans when it comes to quality design, fit and finish.
4. What else: We realised that the car segment which could offer a High seating position (SUVish stance) and an Auto gearbox combination around the 15.0 L mark is pretty much non-existent.
5. Pre-owned: The thought of getting a higher segment pre-owned car did cross our minds, but then we decided against a used car for Dad.

Booking and Launch day experience
At this point we were getting feelers about the IX25/Creta launch in India and whatever info we gathered about it, seemed to fit our requirement. We went to the dealer and enquired about the car launch, display/demo car, etc. but the sales guys had absolutely no information to share. Luckily Dad knew the Dealer and he confirmed that there would be an Automatic. We immediately booked the ‘Top end Automatic’ as we expressed it to the dealership on July 27th.
Dad and I visited the showroom where they had a Red SX+ Diesel on display. This car has sheer presence. I remember seeing the Ecosport in pictures and loving it, but when I saw it in real it wasn’t as exciting. Not the same here. The excitement level just keeps growing.
Walked around and we both could appreciate the attention to detail. The beautifully sculpted and protruding headlamps, the all-round black cladding, the skid plates, the high and strong shoulder line, it all screams SUV.
Sit in the cabin and a nice modern looking dashboard greets you. Dad got into the driver’s seat and he immediately liked the high stance of the car.
Chatted with a few other visitors and they all seemed impressed with the car, if not the pricing. Undoubtedly, look at the design. Even if you prefer understated European designs, there is a bleak chance that you won’t give this car a second look.
I for one never really liked Hyundai designs, beginning with the Santro which, I rate as one of the worst car designs. However, with the birth of the i20 and the Fluidic design philosophy I had begun to appreciate their effort in the design department.
The Creta though, is a game changer- in many aspects. Look at the segment the Creta targets. There are a bunch of people who want a car with the presence of an SUV, premium interiors to match the style and the performance to boot. A car that can accommodate a family of 4-5 and not necessarily the entire neighbourhood. These bunch of people do not want a hatchback with black cladding, renamed as Cross or Active or anything. They do not want a real SUV which can move mountains and empty your bank, neither a real SUV where you sit in one and it takes you back a decade.
That day when we first saw the Creta, I had these same thoughts as someone who would fall in that bunch of people. I knew Hyundai had a winner, and till date the booking numbers do seem to justify it.

The Test Drive experience
After a few days of the launch, we managed to get a test drive of the Top end Diesel Creta since they did not have any Auto. It was a white Creta and immediately we knew that this was the colour we want. With the exterior abound in blackened features – A & B pillar, window frames, claddings, only the lighter colours would accentuate these. I personally find the White, Silver and Red to suit the car the most.

Some of our initial findings during the very short test drive –
The Good
1. Adequately powerful engine (1.6L Diesel) with good acceleration.
2. Smooth gear shifts.
3. Almost felt refined like a petrol engine especially with the NVH levels.
4. Great presence especially with the wide front gaping grille, the beautifully designed headlamps (which I feel are the hallmark of the car) and a proper SUV stance with a high shoulder line.
The Not so Good
1. Have these guys at Hyundai lost it! An Automatic on offer without the top end features? Do they think they are competing with the Celerio AMT? How Ridiculous! I have lost count of the number of people disappointed with this. At least offer the top spec features as an option.
2. High rear shoulder line leading to a smaller greenhouse at the rear. Yes it does create a claustrophobic back space and all, but honestly look at the car from outside and there is no way this design could have done without it. It is one of the characteristic feature of the car’s design and best appreciated from outside than from within.

At the time of the test drive, we were so excited to finally have a car that suit our requirements, all we could see were the positives. Yes, the too much plastics, claustrophobic back, etc. was obvious, but then we just wanted to be positive till we have one I guess. So the real negative features will get outlined only once you reach the actual user experience part of this report.
More importantly, at the end of the test drive we were convinced that we had made the right choice.

While we waited
Ah! those boring 16 inch alloy wheels. Had to do something about it. Bro suggested an upgrade to the 17 inch designs of the SXO variant. Spoke to the dealer and they claimed ignorance about the possibility of upgrade and the unavailability of any accessories or spares at all. How the hell can one organise a pan India launch of a car and not have these things in place already?
Now we thought, why not explore the option of a better aftermarket alloy design. Visited the local car accessory shop in Goa and as usual, pathetic product range at ridiculous prices.

At this point I also visited the Sai Mag wheels portal (remembered reading about it on TBHP). Shortlisted some 17 inch designs and did some Photoshop wizardry to see how they would look on the car. Now the question was, ‘what must be the alloy width?’ The alloy width would decide the tyre width and vice versa. So I thought let’s find out the available tyre sizes. This is when I found that Creta comes with the oddest sized tyres in India! The sizes 205/65 R16 and 215/60 R17 are shared by no other car in India (at least in to my knowledge). This meant a great deal of homework, siting and figuring out which alternative sizes to consider. I was clear that I wanted to stick to the OD (outer diameter) of the top spec Creta i.e. 17 inch wheel with 215/60 tyres. Went online, even spoke to Bridgestone but no availability of the 215/60 R17 in Goa.
As I kept looking, I chanced upon Federal Tyres. Had not heard of them ever before, so did a little internet research and they seemed worth trying. The company has had Technology cooperation with Bridgestone for 20 years in the past and subsequently with Dunlop. The better news was the size available – 235/55 R17. As can be seen in the following tables the size matched the top-end spec perfectly.

Following are the Calculations I had made for the tyre upsizing options

Original Tyre setup: Alloy Wheels – 16 inch, Tyres – Kumho Solus 205/65 R 16
Upgraded setup: Alloy Wheels – 17 inch x 7.5J, Tyres - ?

The comparisons I am making are to the Tyre and wheel setup of the top-end Creta i.e. 215/60 R17, as that was my target.

Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-tyre-options.jpg
In Option 1, I was not happy with the fact that the OD would be lesser than the top end version besides the reduced sidewall height which could affect ride quality.

Option 2 looked ideal; however I had a doubt whether the 235s would be too wide and scrape the insides of the wheel well. Rang up Sai Mag wheels and he confirmed that they have already fitted 235s and there is absolutely no issue. Well then decided it was – Federal Formozas 235/55/R17 with a W speed rating.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-federal-tyres.jpg
I would recommend the following links for the tyre upsizing calculations, which I used extensively.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
Android App – Tire Size Calculator by Wise Engineering

Same day placed an order for the finalised alloys from Sai Mag wheels - HRS 17x7.5J and received them subsequently through transport.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-hrs-alloys-box.jpg
The other changes we intended to do to the car –
1. Leather upholstery.
2. Glossy black wrap for the roof.

The Dealership Experience
For the initial post booking period, the experience was fine and our SA was quite a nice chap. However we were promised our car from the very first batch of Autos that arrived. Whenever enquired, I was repeatedly told that I would be intimated a week in advance. However, I later found out that in the intervening period they had already delivered the first batch of 3 Automatics. We were very displeased and bought this to the attention of the owners, who then promised the delivery before Ganesh Chaturthi. And so they did. Although we were left with a bitter taste due to this experience, we left it all behind on the day we drove out with our brand new Creta on the 14th of September.

The price breakup was as follows
Model: Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L CRDi VGT 6 Speed Automatic
Ex-showroom price: Rs. 13,57,772.00
RTO Road Tax: Rs. 1,50,597.00
Insurance: (Bajaj Allianz) – Rs. 55,129.00
On Road price: Rs. 15,63,498.00

No discounts were offered. Did not enquire about extended warranty as a 3 year/ unlimited kms warranty seems great enough.
The SA gave the demo to Dad explaining the various workings of the car, etc. I asked a few questions about the Auto gearbox, especially the Shift Lock Release button and realised the lack of knowledge these guys have of the products they sell. Anyhow, off we went to the Fuel Station and topped it off with 53.0 litres of Diesel.
Drove it straight to the accessory shop and got the new Alloys and Tires fitted. The car came shod with Kumho Solus 205/65 R16s.
Worked out a tyre exchange with the Shop itself, while I retained the original alloys and put it up on Olx/Quikr for sale. The accessory shop was offering a measly 10.0k for all 4.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-hyundai-alloys-box.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-spare-tyre-kumho.jpg
The spare for the time being is the same original one. Although I plan to fit a MRF Wanderer 215/65 R16 on the spare rim. Being just 4mm shorter than my other tyres it should suffice as an emergency spare. I still need to check whether the 215 wide profile fits on those steel rims meant for 205.

After the tyre upgrade, I took it home and everyone loveeed it. Here are a few pictures.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-ext-01.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-ext-03.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-ext-04.jpg

Exterior Design
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-ext-02.jpg
The exterior design is the hallmark of this car. Hyundai has got the formula just right, with the perfect SUV look. With the market flooded with crossovers which are basically hatchbacks on stilts and a lot of cladding, the Creta stands out as a ‘designed Crossover’. The Santa Fe-ish front end, distinct shoulder line, a high stance and black cladding all around clearly show the design intentions. The car has a high shoulder line but the entire mass below is beautifully layered with just the right amount of cladding at the base. The crease along the sides further breaks the height of the car. The high shoulder line and the swooping roofline are features that people have likened to the iconic design of the Evoque. I certainly do not think this design is anywhere as iconic as the Evoque but distinct, yes. For once the lines on the car seem to serve some design goal and not just a drama of decorative swishes and swooshes across the surface which, means nothing as a whole.
The story at the rear gets dictated by the high shoulder line and swooping roof which means; tiny rear window and a huge raised derriere. Fortunately Hyundai has gone for a simpler approach of plain creases in the body and the vertically split bumper to reduce the effect of staring into nothingness. The result – a distinct rear with a splash (some might say bucket load) of chrome. Immaculate execution of the rear bumper design though with the neatly integrated reflectors and parking sensors. Nothing seems like an afterthought. Every line drawn has a purpose. Beautiful!
The taillights follow the design brief to the T. However, they are sadly, bulb units. LEDs would have looked parfait. Forget LED, at least blur the tail light cover so we cannot see that lonely sad bulb inside. Case in point, my Innova tail lights: a pattern on the tail light refracts the bulb light and makes it looking very LED like. The pattern on the i20 elite would have suited the Creta very well.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-i20-taillight.jpg
The original Alloy design which comes with the Auto is sad, to say the least. The 16 inch alloys with the 205/65 rubber do not fill up the wheel-well substantially, neither do they look wide enough. Look at it from either the front or rear and the entire mass of the car overwhelms the 205 profile. Only a 225 or wider profile carries the mass of the design perfectly. The spare wheel is a steel rim and same size as the other tyres and not some space saver with 10 mm profile. I recently saw an Audi A6 pass by with the space saver tyre on it. The sight reminded me of the pirate Captain Hook with one wooden leg.
During booking I observed all the variants except the top end SXo had Goodyear tyres. However while taking delivery I noticed all the cars including ours had Kumho Solus tyres.
The fit and finish is really good. However I did find some unusual bits –
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-beading-gap.jpg
While the materials used are great, the irregularities, I found are more related to QA/QC that Hyundai needs to keep a check on. The panel gaps are very consistent all-round. The Fuel Lid is made of Plastic. Chanced upon this bit accidentally while washing the car. Wonder why this change in material.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-creta-fuel-lid.jpg
The interiors
The very first time you get into the car you are bound to appreciate the contemporary design, especially the way the dark beige panel modes its way onto the doors to become the grab handle.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-dashboard.jpg
But as you look around you really start wondering where they have put those 15 odd lakhs of your hard earned money. Besides the interesting grab handle design of the front doors the door panels beg for some leather or fabric inserts. The rear doors especially are awfully bland. The fit and finish of the interiors is great and everything is well put together. To sum up the interiors, 90% of the feel good factor comes from the dashboard with all the control clusters. Take this away and there is absolutely nothing worth writing about. The designer seems to have spent most amount of time sitting in the driver’s seat.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-front-door.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-rear-door.jpg

AVN System
A great Touchscreen AVN system, quite responsive and had no trouble reading the 16 GB USB drive. Sound is distortion free and since Dad would be listening mostly to Indian Classical and Old Hindi music, the stock speakers seem sufficient.
Got this really sleek SanDisk 16GB USB drive which is hardly noticeable.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-avn-system.jpg
The FM radio antenna (Shark Fin) has a good reception. When we drive to our native place there is a certain point beyond which the system in my Innova starts to lose FM reception. In the Creta, the reception is clear right till our home. Bluetooth pairing works great. Have paired it with Dads iPhone as well as my Android and it works like a breeze.
The steering controls are a useful feature, especially while receiving calls.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-steering-wheel-controls.jpg
The Maps however, are not to my liking with a drab colour scheme.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-maps.jpg
They should have provided a Screen mirroring feature so we could mirror our androids or apples and enjoyed Google Maps or Here in all its glory. Once you have fed in certain important mark points such as your Home, office, etc., every time you are in the vicinity of the same you hear a voice announcing that you are close to it. Quite nice, but assuming that a user would normally feed in his residence, office and other place of importance as a mark point, is understood that we ‘very’ well know where it is. So this reminder to my mind serves no purpose unless as imagined by my brainstorming wife, could be used if you are travelling and save the important mark as the hotel, thus saving you from getting lost. There is no setting to put it off except turn down the navigation volume. The maps for Goa are not up-to-date. Many streets and addresses are missing.
The USB music playback system is lovely. My comparison is with the JVC AV60BT touchscreen system in my Innova, in which I have to keep pressing the next button, wait for the next song name to be displayed. If I don’t like it I have to press next again. Gets cumbersome. In the Creta’s player, I just turn the dial on the left and it keeps scrolling the songs that would follow. Once I find one I want to listen to, just press the dial and voila! Easy and convenient.
The screen has an Auto dimming function which, when enabled dims the screen once you put on the lights (even the parking lights). Now, I like to keep the LED parking lights on (for the DRL effect) but, this means the screen gets illegible on a sunny day.
When the AVN system is switched off, the screen stays on displaying the Hyundai logo. Even pressing the DISP button does not put it off. So if you want the screen off, you have to put on the system, turn volume to 0 and put off the display. I find this to be rather weird.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-hyundai-screen.jpg
Seating
Front seats are stiff and offer good lateral support. However, I find them a bit too stiff for my liking (Not as snug as my Innova). Only the driver’s seat has height adjustment and the difference between the highest and lowest seating position is the view of the bonnet.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-seat-height-comparison.jpg
The backrest though does not seem to provide good lumbar support as has been experienced by other users on the forum. Within 15 minutes of a drive I sense a bit of discomfort in my lower back. However my Dad and Bro do not share this feeling.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-front-seats.jpg
Combined with a tilt steering, it is quite easy to find a good driving position. The arm rest seems perfect for our Automatic as one hardly uses the left arm for gear inputs. But I get a strong feeling that it would be a bit obtrusive for manual users.

We have dropped the idea of leather seats for now. I have leather seats in my Innova, but in summers (Hot humid Goan summers) when the car heats up it results in sweaty under thighs. Fabric breathes and is more comfortable.

There is a raised portion between the foot well of the car and the outside. Considering the height of the car, I find myself constantly scrapping this raised portion with my feet. In case of my Innova this is flat all throughout.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-door-sill.jpg
Ingress and Egress is surprisingly not as easy as I thought it would be. One really has to push oneself out of the car from the seat. The exterior black cladding is the reason for this, as has been rightly reviewed in the official TBHP review. In case of my Innova it’s effortless.
I set out to do some measurements to compare to my Innova and found the following; the gap between the edge of the seat and the outside edge of the car floor is 65 mm more in the Creta as compared to the Innova.

The rear seats are comfortable with a slightly reclined back. The Auto has 60:40 split folding seats.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-rear-seat.jpg
Rear seat comfort is great in terms of leg room. Contrary to what I felt about the rear being claustrophobic, Mom and Wifey said they didn’t feel so. As a family we are used to travelling in the Innova which gives a great all-round view. As such this turned out to be not so bad.

Rear visibility from within the car is quite poor. However with the reverse camera, sensors and OVRMs, reversing has been a breeze. The low light resolution of the camera is very good. Also you will notice the rear glass has no internal rubber beading. That’s a new low in cost-cutting at this price segment. Ridiculous!
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-rear-visibility.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-rear-camera-avn.jpg

Boot space and storage

Boot space is humongous. Whoever sees it goes, “ whoaahhh that’s huge”. Thoughtful addition of a Boot light and a net to hold loose items. There are ample storage spaces and cubby holes throughout.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-boot-split-seat.jpg
Floor Mats
There have been discussions on the forum about the floor mats. I can see that many have innovatively used different materials such as noodle mats, rubber mats etc. However, I feel the original thick Fabric mats which come with ‘Creta’ embroidered in it are just perfect and look premium. Firstly, they are a good departure from all the hard plastics abound in the interior. Secondly they perfectly do the job they are meant to i.e. trap the dirt and prevent it from getting elsewhere and in the floor lining. I remember our old Honda City had them and a good power wash had them looking new every time. So my suggestion would be stick to the original ones it came with.

The AC and Climate Control
The AC has been very effective even on sunny days. Every time you put on the AC, the air blows through all the vents for a few seconds and then shifts to the last selected mode. Wonder if it is the Clean Air function which is supposedly activated every time the ACs started. It is equipped with a Cluster Ioniser which generates ions to purify the cabin air.

Also the mood bar on the AC panel is not related to the temperature in the car as I had assumed. It changes as per the temperature knob setting.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-ac-mood-bar.jpg
The rear AC vents are well designed so as to not interfere with the legroom of the rear occupants. However the flow through these vents is a step lower than the front vents.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-rear-ac.jpg
While playing with the AC I found this interesting aspect. Starting mode – Climate control ON, temperature setting – LO, Airflow mode – Front vents. Now keep turning up the temperature till you reach the highest/hottest temperature setting and note how the Mode automatically changes while you are doing so. The following images shall illustrate it.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-ac-mode-change.jpg
Controls
All the controls and buttons are ergonomically well placed. The steering has controls for the AV system, Bluetooth telephony and the MID. All the buttons, Headlamp and Wiper stalks, all have good feedback. The ORVM controls are not backlit, which make them difficult to find at night. Also, except the Driver side power window buttons, others are not backlit. The power window switches remain powered for a few seconds after switching the car off. Helps close all the windows without having to keep the car on. Nice feature.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-control-stalks.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-controls-night.jpg

The internal window lock button prevents only the back seat occupants from operating their power windows and not the front passenger. We find it to be a disadvantage especially when my son seated in the front plays with it. Wonder what the logic behind this setup is. Have not seen this is in any of the cars we have or had – Innova, Getz, and OHC. The Automatic misses out on the beautiful MID of the Top spec. Relegated to displaying basic info – Speed, Trip meter, average speed, etc. These are small details which go onto create the complete premium experience which Hyundai has missed this time around.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-mid-info-screens.jpg

One has to press the horn pad really hard. It should have been on the softer side.

Push Button Start and Smart Key

A great feature to have. With the key in your pocket, open the door with request sensor, push button and get going. Very convenient indeed! The keyfob actually houses a metal key which can also be used to open the door.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-request-sensor.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-start-stop-button.jpg
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-key-fobs.jpg
Got one of those Silicone covers for the key fob.
Lighting
The Headlamps have a sufficient throw and the fog lamps too seem adequate. Do not feel the need to upgrade the lamps. The LEDs in the Headlamps though are hardly noticeable in the daytime, but look stunning at night. Also the LEDs are bright white, while the headlamps are warm white.
Cornering lamps are a greatly useful feature especially on badly lit narrow village roads.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-headlight.jpg
Follow me headlamps: This is a great feature we found, useful especially when we go to our native place. Switch off the car with the Headlamp switch in on position and the headlights will remain on for nearly 15 seconds thus lighting our path till we unlock our door. This also means no more battery drain outs because of lights mistakenly remaining on.

Safety Features : The Automatic has 2 front Air bags and ABS.

The Auto Gearbox & the Tiptronic mode
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-engine-bay.jpg
This is the first Automatic in our family. Bro and I were initially a bit sceptical about the sluggishness of Auto’s as we knew it. But we calculated that for a 128 PS peppy engine it would not be felt as much. And how right we were.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-gear-lever.jpg
For the initial couple of days, we had been driving at a leisurely pace and mostly within city limits. So did not find the throttle response to be great. Keeping it well within 2000 rev range, it felt like a sedate drive. Nothing exciting.

Then one fine day we took it out on the highway to feel its high speed dynamics and to verify our fear that, overtaking with an Auto gearbox is a gamble. The car felt perfectly planted (guess the wider profiles helped further) at high speeds with a very smooth and linear power delivery. This is when we chanced upon a hidden weapon. During overtaking manoeuvres press the accelerator with urgency and the Auto immediately downshifts and has you surging forward like a missile. Smiles on our faces.

Recently I tried using the Tiptronic mode.
It can be activated anytime while driving – just pull the stick towards you and it slots into the Tiptronic gate. It will immediately show which gear the car is in on the console.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-tiptronic-mode.jpg
Then it’s as simple as a push or pull to shift up or down. I found that, this mode can be used to get over one issue of this gearbox. While driving in traffic that is, doing speeds varying from 20-40 kmph the Auto gearbox tends to be in a confused and constantly at-work state. I could sense the car trying to work out the best gear based on my accelerator input. At times I knew that the traffic was soon to slow down and the car has already upshifted only to downshift later. With the tiptronic I could considerably lessen the number of gear changes albeit giving up the luxury of the Auto.
However, I like to drive my car with the least use of clutch (i.e. without constant gear changing). I find the confused state of the Auto in traffic a bit too unsettling.

Also, encountered a steep, curvy, inclined stretch of road recently. Since there were sharp turns, I had to maintain a very low speed. I had the accelerator pressed lightly since I wanted to maintain a slow speed. Had the shift in D mode (i.e. AUTO). On the bends the car maintained slow speed in 2nd gear (could make out from the engine noise, revs), but once the straight bit was encountered it used to shift to 3rd and almost run out of breath while we reached the next bend. Found this behaviour rather unsettling. Only way I could overcome the problem was by gunning the accelerator so the engine maintained high revs. But this isn’t practical as one has to slow down in the bends.
Read the manual and chanced upon this bit, where it says that on a steep road one has to gun the accelerator.

Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-dmode-manual.jpg
However, the problem of slowing down on bends remains. The eagerness of the Auto box to immediately upshift really creates some peculiar situations.
The solution I found was to use the Tiptronic mode. The next time I encountered that stretch, I shifted into 2nd and cruised through the entire incline without a fuss.

Having driven the car for a 1000 kms now, a lot of our notions about an Auto gearbox have been dispelled.

Our observations shortlisted
1. In the D mode the car has a Creep function. Release the brake and the car will creep forward at around 5 km/hr. One need not touch the accelerator. This means a relaxing drive in stop and go traffic. This also helps on the inclines as the car remains stationery and does not move back as you leave the brake. However as a practice if one can foresee that the traffic could be held up for a while its best to put it in N (apply handbrake) and wait.
2. In Reverse too the car can be controlled with Brake input without the use of the A pedal.
3. Perfect for overtaking. In fact I feel the downshift of the automatic is anytime faster than a manual downshift.

With our third Fuel top-up, the FE figures worked out to 12.50 kmpl. 75% -in city driving, 25% open roads, highways.

Suspension
The suspension holds up pretty well. On highways, its super smooth and even on corners there isn’t much body roll. Driving my Innova for the past 5 years, this certainly feels tight in corners. On bad roads, the car does get a bit jumpy, although it holds its line pretty well. Besides, one must realise that, this isn’t any SUV for real.

Steering
The steering is something of a mixed bag for me. It is super-light (lightest I have come across) and it does weigh up slightly at high speeds. This is perfect for dad as within city manoeuvring is a breeze. However, for me personally, I find the steering lacks any feel at all. You feel disconnected from the road as though you are playing a video game. There simply isn’t much feedback. However, it isn’t as bad as the Getz we had. I like the smaller size of the steering wheel, unlike the Getz whose steering I felt was a size too big.

Braking
The car has Discs upfront and drums at the rear. The brakes are sufficient in normal city driving and low speeds. However, at high speeds it lacks the bite. The brakes have a peculiar behaviour. If you are coasting slowly say at 20 kmph and press the brakes, you can feel the brake pressure varying as the Auto box is shifting the gears to neutral. Now the same situation, while you are applying brakes, immediately shift the auto box to N position and you can feel the brakes bite instantly. It basically means that the braking power is affected by the Auto’s nature. I think this has been discussed on the forum too. An aspect one needs to keep in mind I felt. At high speeds this becomes a critical factor.
They should have given all four wheel with disc brakes.

NVH
The NVH levels for a Diesel are quite impressive. In the first 2 gears there is a distinct Diesel clatter that’s audible but low enough to drown off in the sound from your music system. However as it climbs the gears it is super smooth. The refinement levels seem close to a Petrol. Had they added insulation for the Bonnet, it would have been great.
Servicing
Got the First Free servicing done at 1622 Kms. Fluid levels checked, Filter (Air and AC) cleaning done and Nitrogen gas filled in the tyres.
Service cost Rs. 324.00 (Nitrogen gas filling)

Here are a few things I felt the Creta should have been equipped with considering the price bracket
1. Sunroof
2. Auto Window up/down from the remote key
3. Puddle lamps in the doors
4. Cooled Glove box /Storage compartment
5. LED Tail lamps

We have decided against black wrapping of the Roof for now. We have rarely modified our cars beyond the original specs. While we all agree that it will do wonders for the looks, we want to enjoy the feel of the stock car with wheels on steroids. :)

The Gist: (Recounting the experience with the Creta AT from the beginning till date)
As you see the car in the flesh, you are filled with excitement and joy, the beautifully sculpted look, imposing SUV character. You can’t wait to get in the driver’s seat and feel the machine. Enter the cabin and the design so beautifully complements the contemporary feel of the exterior and you can’t wait to start the engine. A drive in the car and you know that this is it. This, is what you want.
Then, as you spend time with it you realise the minor hits and misses – the lack of premium features despite paying a premium, visible cost cutting. Yet, every vehicle has its quirks, but you’ll always love it for what you loved it the first time you saw it. In case of the Creta, it’s the design and the driveability.

Currently Odometer reads: 2,700 kms
Next scheduled servicing at: 9,000 – 10,000 kms
Shall keep posting future developments and experiences.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations Goan. Wish you many miles of happiness with the Creta, Love the white colour, Very comprehensive review as well. It's a very practical SUV for the urban roads. I do feel blackening the roof gives it a whole new presence especially with those sick wheels you got there.

Dear The Goan,

Well written. Rated 5 stars.

Congrats on becoming an owner of such a good vehicle.

When I was shortlisting for an AT, Creta was one of the cars which my wife had hated till she took a test drive.

We are all tall in the family. Consequently, we found the space inside (specially in the rear) to be too inadequate.

Contrary to most others, we like the inside to be well lit up - so we tend to become uncomfortable with all black insides. Of course, we could just add beige covers!

In Pune, the OTR was about 17 lakh Rs and the delivery time for AT was 9 months! Deal DEAD!

Girish Mahajan

Mod note: Post Edited. Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Thanks Prathirajkumar. You are absolutely right about the roof blackening. We all are convinced that it would do wonders for the look. But we have been holding back for the following reasons -
1. The negative effect in summers. It would surely reduce the effect of the AC. And secondly I have seen many cars with the blackened tops that have begun to look dull. As such I am not too sure about how long the vinyl wrapping retains the glossy effect.

2. Since the car is primarily driven by Dad, we want to maintain the 'formal look' and not make it too flashy. (although the wheels totally demolish this argument of mine)

Honestly, I just cant seem to make up my mind whether to do it or not.

Thanks GKMahajan. Yes the Dark interiors and the price does make it unappealing. But if you are looking at a 4-5 seater crossover/SUV in AT, then the segment is not really offering much choice (unless you dont mind going for a Mahindra or Tata). And yes the waiting period is depressing.

If its space you are looking for, I think you would do good waiting for the new 2016 Innova. Everytime I get into my Innova after a drive in the Creta, I feel like there is just too much empty space. So airy, beautiful commanding view and a very versatile vehicle. And whatever info in available of the new Innova, they seem to have finally given it all that it deserves - More powerful engine, 6 speed, Premium features and Automatic gearbox too. Depends how much of it is seen in our Indian version though.

Dear The Goan,

Congrats on the Creta, an absolutely brilliant buy in my opinion. I have been seriously considering this as one of the options for my next car. But the AT variant in Mumbai works about to be about 17 lacs on road. That is a little steep to consider at this point.

Currently re-evaluating my options/finances :D

Congratulations The_Goan on owing "the perfect SUV". Wish you many safe miles on this one. Love the new alloys and tyres! It changes the whole stance of the car to make it look nice and rugged! Care to share the costs of both these?

My neighbours got a white AT as well and its a lot of salivating every morning when I see her parked there. I'll agree to the kickdown bit as I was once behind him in my Vento trying to catch him and he just accelerated away. For a car to be able to do that to a Vento is no mean feat so there seems to be enough of power even in the AT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevSoms (Post 3866226)
Dear The Goan,

Congrats on the Creta, an absolutely brilliant buy in my opinion. I have been seriously considering this as one of the options for my next car. But the AT variant in Mumbai works about to be about 17 lacs on road. That is a little steep to consider at this point.

Currently re-evaluating my options/finances :D

Thanks DevSoms

Quote:

Originally Posted by miharbe (Post 3866424)
Congratulations The_Goan on owing "the perfect SUV". Wish you many safe miles on this one. Love the new alloys and tyres! It changes the whole stance of the car to make it look nice and rugged! Care to share the costs of both these?

My neighbours got a white AT as well and its a lot of salivating every morning when I see her parked there. I'll agree to the kickdown bit as I was once behind him in my Vento trying to catch him and he just accelerated away. For a car to be able to do that to a Vento is no mean feat so there seems to be enough of power even in the AT!

The alloys cost Rs. 7800 each and the tyres 9000 each.
Yes the car has great acceleration. Once you understand the nature the Auto gearbox it's a real joy to drive. Just got back from a drive to Belgaum via Chorla ghat. Covered 400 kms in a day. The drive through the ghats was great. There was hardly any body roll on twists. At no point did I feel short of power. The car touches 100 kmph with the utmost ease. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive

Congratulations The Goan for the Creta, its truely a beautiful car. I am a big fan of the Fluidic philosophy of Hyundai.

I want to ask you a question regarding the alloys, I had asked the same question on the Tyre Upsizing thread but couldnt get any response, hopefully you can enlighten me

My cousin bought Alloys for his Thar which were wider than the stock rims the car comes with and fitted the new alloys with the stock tyres which were on the stock rims earlier. We had done the entire Leh trip on those alloys without a single puncture or any issue. I am planning to do the same on my XUV. Do you think a tyre upsize to match the width of the alloys is required?

Sorry for the OT question. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar (Post 3866838)
Do you think a tyre upsize to match the width of the alloys is required?

Sorry for the OT question. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Ritesh Dogar for the words of appreciation.
Coming to your query, following are the aspects(with regards to width) one has to consider while upsizing (as i have studied it)
1. First ascertain the width of your rim/alloy. I could not find any info online of the same, but for a 235 cross section OE tyre, it will most probably be 7.5J (7.5 inches)
2. Finding the 'recommended tyre' for the rim. I generally look up http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...dth-calculator

Here it says the range of tyres suited to 7.5J rims are from 205 to 235 profile
If the rim width is 8.0J then maximum recommended width is 245 mm
3. Whether we can install a 245 profile tyre on a 7.5J width rim is the question. Practically speaking the tyre will fit the rim with no problem. However if the rims are too narrow as compared to the tyres, it will allow the tyre to distort excessively sideways under fast cornering.

So as a conclusion my suggestion would be -
1. If they are 7.5J rims, you could upsize the tyres to 245 section and it should not be much of a concern. I would not think of a 255 though without a change in the rim width too.
As such the 235/65 17 could be upgraded to 245/60 17 or 245/65 17, preferably the latter if you do a bit of offroading.

This recommendation is based on my understanding of this subject. Experts do feel free to add to it.

Dude,

Sweet rims! Love the red inlay; makes the car look aggressive.

On a tangent, have you tried any off-roading with the car? I know it sounds moronic but just wanted to know how capable it is.

But then you could end up damaging those nice rims!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Goan (Post 3867625)
Thanks Ritesh Dogar for the words of appreciation.

If the rim width is 8.0J then maximum recommended width is 245 mm

This recommendation is based on my understanding of this subject. Experts do feel free to add to it.

That answers my question. I was planning to fit the stock tyre (235/65/R17) on rims of 8.0J width. Will try for 245/65/R17 if the tyre is readily available at the right price point.
Thanks for the information The Goan, that helps a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qr20de (Post 3867672)
Dude,

Sweet rims! Love the red inlay; makes the car look aggressive.

On a tangent, have you tried any off-roading with the car? I know it sounds moronic but just wanted to know how capable it is.

But then you could end up damaging those nice rims!

No, I have not tried anything close to offroading really so cannot comment on it. I think this car is meant at the most to tackle bad roads... Once the tarmac disappears its better to look elsewhere.

An update:
Have got my spare tyre changed to the MRF Wanderer 215/65 R16. It did fit well on the spare steel rim. Now there is not much difference in height between my main tyres and this one.
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-spare-mrf-wanderer.jpg

This is the detailing kit I use for my cars currently -
1. 3M Car wash Shampoo
2. Formula 1 - Bug and Tar Remover
3. Black and Decker Dust Buster Vacumm (Got it free when I purchased Yokohama Earth1 for my Innova)
4. 3M cloth
Hyundai Creta 1.6L Diesel Automatic – An Ownership Experience-detailing-kit.jpg

Because of the extra width of the tyres beyond the mudflaps, there is a higher deposition of mud and grime on either side of the car and occassionally tar. This forced me to purchase the bug and tar remover when the car shampoo cannot do the job.