Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 21:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review

Here is my video review for 2015 Ford EcoSport:

The "all" new 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5 Tdci Titanium has joined my garage. Every few years the car bug bites me and this year was no different. Exactly after 1 year of owning my VW Jetta I was having this twitch to upgrade my second car. EcoSport was no where in the picture but ended up being in my garage as I write this.

Here is a summary of the cars I had considered before finalizing on the EcoSport:

Baleno

The search began when Baleno was launched. I liked what I saw and decided to pay a visit to the nearest Nexa showroom.

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-baleno.jpg

The pricing was too tempting to resist and the car looked amazing/refreshing in few angles, specially the top model. Obviously with the lack luster launch of S-Cross MUL really nailed the pricing of Baleno. Obviously this would lead to a lot of cannibalization of the Swift.

Upon a more closer look the lower models looked really average with a strong resemblance to Swift. The rear too looked "ok" but the tail lights were drooling.

On paper the car is under-powered with 75ps but this probably contributed to the killer pricing. With absolutely no discounts on offer and dealers who had no time to talk to customers (the foot fall was incredible), we left the Nexa showroom without making a booking.

Pros:
- Pretty fresh look
- Drool worthy headlamps on the top model
- Funky dash display
- Apple Car Play in the top model
- Killer Pricing

Cons:
- The lower models are uninspiring
- Under powered on paper (MUL could have given 90 ps)
- Interior plastics and fit and finish in general is average
- Average alloy design

At the end of the day it didnt tick all the boxes in my heart so we decided to move on to the other half of the showroom that was deserted... yes I am talking about S-Cross.

S-Cross

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-marutiscross02.jpg

Now the S-Cross is everything the Baleno isnt. Its build like a tank, has nice quality interiors (on the top trim), has mature ride and handling and oodles of space.

Now the elephant in the room, the car looks simply "dud" from the outside. If only it had slightly better styling. The tail lamps look dated, the front reminds you of erstwhile SX4.

I drove the 1.3 MJD and was suprised not to find the car under powered. And mind you my daily drive is the Jetta Tdi (8.3 seconds to a ton). The suspension was very mature and overall driving experience was amazing.

The dealers were very tempted to sell it, were throwing a lot of discounts but I had a feeling that this car would be discontinued in a few years as its not really taken off... even after having the Suzuki badge.

Pros:
- Tank like build
- Amazing handling
- Nice fit and finish (unlike any other Suzuki I have seen)
- Good interiors

Cons:
- "Dated" Looks
- Pricing of the 1.6 MJD is "crazy"
- Pathetic alloys

Creta

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-hyundaicreta06.jpg

Now Creta is one car that looks the most complete SUV in the mini-SUV segment. Its everything the S-Cross isnt. It looks butch, the right size, the right alloy design (in top spec).

However I feel Hyundai got a little too greedy when launching this car. The pricing though makes it exclusive for the owners is off by at least 1 lakh in my opinion. The interiors too feel built to price for a car cost 16 lakhs on the road. Its only the top spec manual with leather steering that the interiors looks half decent. And I am not comparing the interiors to EcoSport which are even worse, but compared to S-Cross the interiors are a big let down. Compared to the price you pay the interiors are a let down. No, there is no lack of gizmos, but the overall fit and finish leaves a little to be desired.

I considered 1.4 S variant of the Creta as that was 11.8 lakh OTR I didnt want to spend 16 lakhs for the top variant for my second car. The drive the was underwhelming, the car felt underpowered and lacked refinement. It didnt have S-Cross like maturity and handling.

The final straw was 20,000 price increase and 3 month waiting period. So even though I "loved" its look I had no choice but to move on...

Pros:
- The only true SUV looking mini-SUV in the market
- Did I say its a "looker"
- Top Spec models is loaded to the T (no top model in automatic)
- Diamond cut alloys in top model

Cons:
-Quality of plastics is a let down for the price
- Insane waiting periods
- Too pricey for what it offers in my opinion

What I have not mentioned so far is that I was in love with my Ford Fiesta that I had sold an year and half back. The car always will keep a special feeling in my heart. My wife too loved to drive it and always used to mention she misses its drive.

Fiesta

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-fiesta.jpg

And her dream car when it was launched was EcoSport. Though the car was begining to show its age. We decided to visit the nearest Ford showroom to see if they had any discounts on offer.

Ecosport 2015

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-first-pic.jpg

Now upon arrival I was greeted very warmly at Ford and realized that post Baleno & Creta launch there attitude had changed. They had some 2014 models on offer with close to 60k discount.

Since it was my wife's dream car I decided to up the budget and make a booking. We began by having a test drive of the EcoBoost. In isolation the engine was good. No one could tell it was a 3-pot engine. However after having a back to back drive of the diesel I was convinced the higher torque makes the 1.2 ton car a lot more tractable to drive. In daily driving conditions we are not chasing 0-100 in any case. The diesel torque can make this car feel like an automatic in 4th gear all day.

So now came the choice between Titanium Option and Titanium. However the Titanium Option all black interior (leather seats) was making the car claustrophobic. The car is already just "ok" in terms of rear leg room, so a dark interior theme was making it feel more cramped.

We made the booking of 2014 Titanium White (the last car available) and were waiting for the other formalities to go through. During this time on Team BHP I read a few reviews where folks were enjoying the 2015 power delivery over the 2014 car. Even though I had driven both cars in isolation and couldnt tell the difference.

However I decided to switch my booking to EcoSport 2015 Titanium. For an additional 25000 Rs.

EcoSport 2015 Review

The 2015 EcoSport is a minor upgrade to keep the car relevant in the market as the competition has made life tough for EcoSport. The three big changes in Titanium EcoSport Diesel are as follows:
  • - Stop Start Button
  • - 100 PS of Power
  • - Signature Headlamps

Exteriors
The car is a looker no doubts and despite Creta taking the Miss Universe title, EcoSport cotinues to be the Miss World in this mini-SUV segment. In fact this is the first car that created the sub 4 meter SUV segment that looked good.

The Duster/Creta/S-Cross are a size larger. The EcoSport sits handsomely on the podium when it comes to external looks. The Ford designers just nailed it. The stock alloys look handsome, the car is not under tyred. All in all its done to the sub 4 meter mini SUV segment what Swift did to the hatch segment.

In fact the only fault (if it can be called a fault) is that there are simply too many EcoSport's plying around Indian roads. But the design has aged well and still looks good.

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-photo-20151111-11-12-01-1.jpg

Interiors
This is where the feel good factor of the exteriors end. Ok they are not bad. Unlike the Duster the controls are fairly ergonomic. Unlike the new Honda's they dont ooze of cost cutting. But they are dated. In a day and age when people are giving reverse camera's, 5 inch color dash displays, and Apple Car Play (like Baleno).

Just to add the sound quality of the audio system is really nice for a stock system.

Here are some pics of the dated interiors:

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-photo-20151110-13-26-46.jpg

The changes in the 2015 EcoSport include:

The start/stop button:

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-photo-20151110-13-26-54.jpg

1.5 Tdci 100 PS Drive
Now for the diesel owners the biggest change of the 2015 EcoSport is whats under the hood. An extra 10 PS of power. Now before I begin the comparative let me state that the 100 PS 1.5 Tdci motor is one of the most refined diesel motors present in Indian cars. The engine loves to be revved and is extremely refined. So much so that it sets the benchmark in refinement for its segment. With all cars in this segment you do have to wait for the turbo to spool and you dont get any push in your seat feeling.

The motor is fairly silent at idle and builds speed quickly. There is no push in your seat feeling or anything but the mid-range of the engine is fairly strong. In addition you can run the car in 4th gear from speeds as low as 20 kmph and as high as 120kmph without bothering to change the gear.

The steering though unlike the Fiesta is over-servod and reminds me of yesteryear's Swift. It doesnt provide the kind of feedback that Ford's are famous for. However it does make life easy for lady drivers and makes the car breeze to park.

Coming from a Sedan (my primary vehicle) I love the high seating position of EcoSport. However there is a blind spot on the right thanks to the thick a-pillars. The car breezes over small speed breakers without breaking a sweat. The handling too is very sure and confidence inspiring.

Coming to the extra 10 PS of power over its predecessor. I feel the actual usable power or feel remains the same. You may shave of .5 seconds to a ton in a drag but in all real life scenarios both the current tune and the previous tune of engine were good. So the old owners have nothing to worry. But given the vehicle is built like a tank (heavy doors) the extra 10 PS is welcome. For that matter, car demands 140 PS.

In a nutshell the EcoSport retains most of the driving characteristics of Fiesta (sans steering feel) and provides the SUV looks that make heads turn. The car is getting old, but yet remains very relevant and will continue to sell 3000 units per month for years to come.

Pros:
- The most refined engine under 15 lakhs
- Great NVH Levels
- Good Looks
- Good driving dynamics
- Great Stock Stereo

Cons:
- Not very spacious at the rear
- Single driver seat arm rest
- Interiors are beginning to show their age
- No Xenon Options

Here are some pictures:

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-fourth.jpg

Signature Headlamps (not visible during the day):

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-signature-lamp.jpg

I had planned to get the following mods done:
  • - Bi-Xenons Evoque Style for 19k
  • - Upgrade Tyres & Alloys
  • - Black Roof

I have completed the tyre and alloys upgrade. Set me back by 46,000 Rs after factoring in the exchange of my alloys & tyres.

Here are some updated pictures of the car with new shoes. Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/55/16. The 17" would have made the ride too harsh & 245 would have made the performance suffer too much. I feel this is the perfect upsize.

Momo Wheels
My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-photo-20151110-17-24-15-1.jpg

Few Observations:
  • Car has big turning radius (bigger then Jetta)
  • Stock stereo has good mid bass but vocals are muddy (still very good for stock)
  • The doors are really heavy and take some effort closing
  • The boot door has hydraulic opening mechanism
  • I miss the normal starting mechanism
  • Clutch is really light

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-black-roof-1.jpg

My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review-black-roof-2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2015 at 11:09. Reason: Moving video up :)
aseem is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi - With Video Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

Here is my video review for 2015 Ford EcoSport:

The "all" new 2015 Ford EcoSport 1.5 Tdci Titanium has joined my garage.
Woah aseem did you swap your 2015 1.5 TDCi engine with a V6 in the last leg of your Video review !!

Congrats on your latest acquisition and quite tastefully modified as well

So Ford is not only upping the game in the market, but the owners are doing it on our Forum as well...what with 2 video reviews from new Ford members.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Great Review.
Can you please share details of the tyre and alloy upgrade.
risham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:12   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride, Aseem.

This car is one attention seeker. No matter how common it is on the road, it can always grab your attention.
Loved the Alloys; they do show their worth! Going very well with the car.

Wishing you Happy and Safe Miles. Cheers!
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 23:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah aseem did you swap your 2015 1.5 TDCi engine with a V6 in the last leg of your Video review !!
Glad you noticed The car is an impulsive buy. Reminds me of the new Fiesta that I sorely miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Great Review.
Can you please share details of the tyre and alloy upgrade.
The tyre's are Pirelli 225/55/16 and the alloys are Momo's. They are 95k for set of 5 alloys and wheels. Due to buy back I ended up paying 46k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Congrats on the new ride, Aseem.

This car is one attention seeker. No matter how common it is on the road, it can always grab your attention.
Loved the Alloys; they do show their worth! Going very well with the car.

Wishing you Happy and Safe Miles. Cheers!
Thanks for the wishes. Only item left on shopping list are Evoque style projector headlamps worth 22k. But dont have the greenbacks at the moment

Last edited by aseem : 4th December 2015 at 23:32.
Old 5th December 2015, 11:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

The tyre's are Pirelli 225/55/16 and the alloys are Momo's. They are 95k for set of 5 alloys and wheels. Due to buy back I ended up paying 46k.

Thanks for the details.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Few observations about the car:

1. The 1.5 Tdci is extremely silent/smooth to rev.
2. The drive by wire throttle is extremely responsive, though the overall power is just about "adequate"
3. The turning radius of the car is fairly large
4. The suspension is very nice sprung and perfect balance between ride quality and handling.
5. The car comes with a dead pedal, often missed in cars in this segment.
6. Still getting used to the heavy doors, and Jetta is my daily drive. That speaks volumes about the build quality of EcoSport.
Old 31st January 2016, 12:24   #9
BHPian

I want to ask a question regarding the specifications of the DRL bulb in the fog light of the updated titanium plus. I can see there are two bulbs in the fog light, one is the H11 foglight bulb and the other is the DRL, whose specs i want to know. I want to change these to the white light ones, not the bluish but pure white. These act as only DRL's, and switch off, when you turn on the pilot lamps, or the headlights.
Also i have infinity components lying with me, which i had put in my earlier car dzire. Can these be put on the ecosport, how are the stock speakers connected to the wiring, will i need some adaptors, are these available at accessory shops, online.
Thanks.
Old 31st January 2016, 21:12   #10
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your review. Were you able to get the Xenon upgrade done? If so, please share some pictures. Curious to see how they look along with those DRLs
Old 2nd December 2017, 18:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here is the updated review for 2017 Ecosport:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks