Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Ah...finally it is here! Congratulations once again! Awesome report It is a bible for all TUV owners . Loved reading it.

Cheers
achyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:51   #47
BHPian

Excellent report there AutoIndian. Wish you happy miles with Tank. Looking forward regular updates.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhood View Post
Nice report, thanks and Congratulations!!
The Apollo Apterras, to me, look a bit too beefed up for the TUV, making the alloys look puny? Of course they must be comfortable.
Thank you for your wishes Ironhood. The alloys of 15" size indeed look puny for this size of a SUV. However if you look at the tyre size it is P215/75 R15, meaning that the tyre wall height is comparatively larger. So these beefed up tyres are responsible for the cushy ride quality.

Refer the post#1000 from GTO in the Next Gen Mahindra Bolero thread over here ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3813037

Quoting GTO from that thread

Quote:
Just wanted to add that the TUV300 has a taller tyre sidewall than even the Scorpio! Honestly, on a body-on-frame SUV, I prefer it this way as it leads to a noticeable improvement in ride quality. They are also very popular in the offroad community as the potential of wheel damage is lesser (due to more cushioning).

IMHO, SUVs look great with smaller wheels + tall tyres. That's one of the reasons I haven't upgraded my Jeep's 15" rims. In my recent tyre change, I opted for tyres that have an even taller sidewall than what she was running earlier.
Quote:
PS: Are these pics taken in the TELCO area in Pimpri?
This is not from TELCO area in Pimpri, but very close by from TELCO area in Chinchwad. I stay just 200 metres away from the compund wall of TELCO, Chinchwad. The road where I have done the photo shoot is just besides my apartment, but part of MIDC (Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Valet View Post
Droolworthy review sir, Many thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on the tank! You're review should be used as the official review for the M&M website! Very detailed and very expressive using photographs!

Wishing you a happy and trouble-free ownership with the TANK!

-Adhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Ah...finally it is here! Congratulations once again! Awesome report It is a bible for all TUV owners . Loved reading it.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Excellent report there AutoIndian. Wish you happy miles with Tank. Looking forward regular updates.
Many thanks Satan's Valet, achyu and MaxTorque for your wishes and compliments. Good to know that you liked it.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 23rd November 2015 at 22:16.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 05:13   #49
BHPian

Excellent review Auto Indian.
Rating it a well deserved 5 stars.
I have advised a friend of mine who was thinking about the TUV to read it in detail before coming to a decision.
I hope your gamble with a newly launched product from an Indian manufacturer works out.
I noticed that there was a lot of reflection from the beige coloured dashboard on the windscreen. Does this not bother you? Surprising that Mahindra's would make the upper part of the dashboard beige and the lower part black.
Anyway, "Congratulations" on the new acquisition and wishing you many happy miles with the tank.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 10:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Excellent review Auto Indian.
Rating it a well deserved 5 stars.
Thank you for your wishes and the rating suzuki san.

Quote:
I have advised a friend of mine who was thinking about the TUV to read it in detail before coming to a decision.
Let me know in case your friend needs any additional info and I shall be happy to share that.

Quote:
I noticed that there was a lot of reflection from the beige coloured dashboard on the windscreen. Does this not bother you? Surprising that Mahindra's would make the upper part of the dashboard beige and the lower part black.
Actually it is not pure beige, but a darker shade of beige, so the top of the dash does not create any reflections in the windshield. Moreover the windshield has a sharper angle compared to other cars, this also helps. However there is one irritant reflection, that of the silver hexagonal accent/border covering the central AC vents and the infotainment system. If you refer the picture below the top portion of this silver accent (which I have highlighted in the box) creates a very prominent reflection in the windshield, which at times becomes irritating. I know most of the XUV owners too had this issue and J. Ravi Sir had got a fix to it. He had covered it with a dark tape, which fixed the problem. I may try that sometime in the future.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn4703.jpg
Old 24th November 2015, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

What a thread! If it was posted anywhere else I would have considered it as "paid post" or a post made by a Mahindra employee....

After reading the "history" of your Innova, my BP shot up a bit with anger.

I am seriously contemplating selling my Italian hot hatch and support the "Make in India" movement. Pun intended...
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:59   #52
BHPian

Congratulations.. The tank looks beautiful in this color. My personal choice would be white or blue though. In flesh, the tank looks better than the pics. Happy motoring..
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 19:44   #53
BHPian

Hey AutoIndian, thanx and finally another review on the Tank
Congrats once again and wishing you miles of trouble free motoring on the Tank.
Devoured the review word by word. Firstly, to know what another owner had to say about his Tank and secondly to see if there was something new that I could learn.
The photos too, were stunning. The whole vehicle covered and from all angles. One need not really visit the showroom now to check out the TUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
However next month, once I get the number plates installed in my car, I will unleash my tank and then there will be no looking back . Will keep adding my experiences to my review. I will put my whole hearted efforts in making this thread will be a "one-stop-shop" for all potential and existing TUV300 owners. Many thanks for your wishes.
I would suggest that you complete about 1000 to 1500 km, driving sedately and with a light foot, before you really try and check out what this beast is capable of doing. The way a car is handled and treated in the first 1500 km will really matter to the car in the long run.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 20:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
What a thread! If it was posted anywhere else I would have considered it as "paid post" or a post made by a Mahindra employee....
Ha ha ha, "paid post" by Mahindra, forget that, Mahindra would rather penalize me for making public:
  • Their shoddy sales team at the dealership and
  • Their pathetic quality control making goof-ups in a newly launched car
Quote:
After reading the "history" of your Innova, my BP shot up a bit with anger.
Everyone who has heard about my Innova story had to control their anger and BP, except me. Though I was dejected, I didn't consider it as a "doomsday" and moved on. That helped me get out of the situation unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Congratulations.. The tank looks beautiful in this color. My personal choice would be white or blue though. In flesh, the tank looks better than the pics. Happy motoring..
Thanks for your compliments deemash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Hey AutoIndian, thanx and finally another review on the Tank
Congrats once again and wishing you miles of trouble free motoring on the Tank.
Devoured the review word by word. Firstly, to know what another owner had to say about his Tank and secondly to see if there was something new that I could learn.
The photos too, were stunning. The whole vehicle covered and from all angles. One need not really visit the showroom now to check out the TUV.
Thank you CAPTAIN for your compliments. Actually it was your review that inspired and encouraged me to pen down mine as early as possible. I learnt a lot from your review and your posts.

Quote:
I would suggest that you complete about 1000 to 1500 km, driving sedately and with a light foot, before you really try and check out what this beast is capable of doing. The way a car is handled and treated in the first 1500 km will really matter to the car in the long run.
Absolutely with you. Normally I don't rip my cars and I am a sedate driver. Only once in while I give my cars the whip. Since I am using my car for home-office-home commutes, I am driving it sedately with a light foot (engine rpm hovering between 2K to 2.5K). Once in a while I take it to 3K. I will be completing around 750 kms today.

I drove my Indica in a similar way when it was brought new in 2004. Even after driving it for 11 years and crossing 1,50,000kms its engine was untouched. Never ever there was a need to top up the engine oil between the 10K oil change inertvals, the engine really held up well. I attribute this to the care taken during the initial 1000kms.
Old 24th November 2015, 21:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for putting together your initial experience with the tank. Looking forward to more pointers on how the tank behaves and handles
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 07:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and thanks for detailed ownership review.

For me the interiors of the TUV have been a huge step forward for Mahindra. Very crisp and sharp an they have not gone overboard in terms of interior styling. Few gripes such as properly design side pockets etc still remain but the overall layout and styling of the dash etc are very good.

The exterior design is not to my taste but I must admit that as I see them more and more I am coming to terms with the awkwardness.

Have a blast.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 08:21   #57
J.Ravi

Official congratulations in your official thread, AutoIndian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
the top portion of this silver accent creates a very prominent reflection in the windshield, which at times becomes irritating.
The reflection on the windshield is too much to bear in XUV 500, especially around the noon during sunny days, which blinds the driver's eyes and is a safety hazard. The photos clicked from inside become awkward. I don't know why Mahindra has got the habit of troubling their customers. This issue was solved in the New Age XUV 500 with a different non-reflective black central facia. But, again the same issue has cropped up in TUV 300. Perhaps, the teams are different and they don't exchange the feedbacks. The right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th November 2015 at 08:38.
  (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks a lot for putting together your initial experience with the tank. Looking forward to more pointers on how the tank behaves and handles
My pleasure procrj. My hands are itching to take it on a long highway trip, however the lack of number plates on my car is holding me back. Even I am looking forward to experience how the tank behaves and handles on long drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Congratulations and thanks for detailed ownership review.

For me the interiors of the TUV have been a huge step forward for Mahindra. Very crisp and sharp an they have not gone overboard in terms of interior styling. Few gripes such as properly design side pockets etc still remain but the overall layout and styling of the dash etc are very good.
Thank you for your wishes shibujp. with you on the interiors. They impressed me the most. Very clean, simple and uncluttered. The plastic quality also looks good and I really hope it holds up well in coming years. Pockets are average sized and bottle holders are at a weird angle. The driver has to bow down a bit to lift the bottle from driver side door.

Quote:
The exterior design is not to my taste but I must admit that as I see them more and more I am coming to terms with the awkwardness..
In this age of fluidic and curvy designs, the boxy looks of the TUV may not go down well with everybody's taste, however it does stand out in the crowd. I however give more importance to function over form. Boxy designs liberate more cabin space. My previous two cars, the Indica and Innova too were very bland on the outside, but can any other car in the respective segments beat their interior space, the answer would be a resounding "NO"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Official congratulations in your official thread, AutoIndian.
Thank you for your wishes Ravi Sir. Your XUV ownership thread is one of the biggest inspirations for me to consider a Mahindra car.

Quote:
The reflection on the windshield is too much to bear in XUV 500, especially around the noon during sunny days, which blinds the driver's eyes and is a safety hazard. The photos clicked from inside become awkward. I don't know why Mahindra has got the habit of troubling their customers. This issue was solved in the New Age XUV 500 with a different non-reflective black central facia. But, again the same issue has cropped up in TUV 300. Perhaps, the teams are different and they don't exchange the feedbacks. The right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing.
So very true. I though all the learnings from XUV (in terms of ergonomics and design) would have been applied on the TUV, but that does not seem to be the case.

Edit: Replying to fusionbang's post in this message itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Congratulations on the Tank AutoIndian Wishing you more miles with smiles. A very detailed ownership thread and read the whole thread in one go.
Thanks mate for your wishes.

Quote:
All these days, I was thinking why you sold your Innova as I remember reading your ownership thread not less than a year ago. You had not checked the service history before buying the car? Just curious to know.
It was a very big mistake on my part to buy a used car without getting a full pre-purchase inspection done at the dealer, checking its service / repair history and verifying the claims history with the insurance company. I relied too much on my instincts. Given the good family background of my previous owner, he being a common friend's friend, I purely went with my instinct and trust on the words of owner's father. I didn't have the slightest inkling that I would fall a victim to the "breach of trust".

Anyway I moved ahead and thank my stars and my Innova, had it not made way I would not have been able to lay my hands on the TUV

Last edited by AutoIndian : 25th November 2015 at 10:37.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Tank AutoIndian Wishing you more miles with smiles. A very detailed ownership thread and read the whole thread in one go.

All these days, I was thinking why you sold your Innova as I remember reading your ownership thread not less than a year ago. You had not checked the service history before buying the car? Just curious to know.

Anyway Congrats once again!
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 12:24   #60
BHPian

Congratulations! Auto Indian
Your ride looks brilliant and although I am not usually drawn to Orange cars, this particular colour looks good. The car has some design elements borrowed from the Range rover Evoke, i suspect.
A very comprehensive review of the TUV. I loved your enthusiasm and the attention to detail in your descriptions.
Cheers man!, wishing you miles and miles of pleasure with your new ride.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed