Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 10:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Least body roll, best bad road handling would go to the Duster followed by the S Cross. I dont think anyone here is claiming that the TUV checks all boxes and one should not look beyond it. Personally for me, It checks all the boxes and hence my desire to own one
Sir, my question was not to doubt your decision about buying a TUV.

Also, I am not looking to buy a Duster or a S-Cross and how good their ride quality is makes no difference to me.

I have shortlisted exactly the same 3 cars (TUV / Ertiga / Scorpio) which AutoIndian has test driven and hence wanted to check which car has the most composed ride quality.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 11:31   #77
BHPian

Ah, here comes an orange tank less a "Barrel". Thankyou so much Buddy for sharing such a detailed review. It surely is going to help lots of potential buyers getting wiser about their purchase. It took me around an hour and half to go through the complete thread, but was worth it every second.

It was shocking to know the goof up of M&M guys regarding missing "B pillar" tape. Any further update from the quality assurance gentleman you met on the bunk??
naveendagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 12:41   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I have shortlisted exactly the same 3 cars (TUV / Ertiga / Scorpio)
Did not know that My 2 cents - I would group the above into 2
a) Scoprio & TUV - SUV + RWD
b) Ertiga

Now lets get to your need (assuming vitamin M is not a constraint given your consideration set)
1) 7 Seater with car like handling and moderate bad road handling ability, then it has to be the Ertiga as the other 2 are no where close to car like in handling. If most of your rides will be on good/moderately good tarmac with a 70:30 split of city:highway driving, then the ertiga is a perfect fit. Now that the ZDI+ comes fully loaded with touchscreen & other creature comforts, it will hard to find something to complain about. Added bonus of the Ertiga is better FE + Maruti reliability.
2) If what you are looking for is the big car/SUV + bad road handling capability, then TUV & Scoprio come into the picture. Yes you will have body roll in both of these and unless you plan to drive 100 km of twisties on a very frequent basis, body roll should not be a deal breaker. I have not driven the Scorpio a lot but based on ownership feedback on the forum, I know its a beast with a great engine. Hence:
a) If you need outright power and bragging rights on those highway runs, along with a lot of other creature comforts & a tested product, then the Scoprio makes sense. The downside to this is the lower FE and the higher total cost of ownership (irrespective of whether its one time upfront or EMIs over time)
b) If all you plan to do is mostly city driving interspersed with 3/4 500-700 km trips in a year, the TUV is more than capable of handling these. Downside is that’s its a new and as yet unproven product but the 100K km warranty and Mahindra's initial response to customer issues makes me believe that they are serious about the product & improving customer experience.

Caveat: Please take extensive test drives before you take the plunge. Even I was swinging like a pendulum between the Ertiga & TUV but in the end, the 120+ km of test driving the TUV answered almost all of my questions and gave me enough confidence to book the same.

Last edited by procrj : 29th November 2015 at 13:10.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 17:58   #79
BHPian

Thanks Autoindian for the exhaustive picture review. It is very detailed and I am sure this thread along with Captainrex' & ofcourse the official review would serve as a very useful guide to 'soon to be' owners like me.
I have booked the T4+ variant and awaiting delivery, in the meanwhile, I am procuring vital accessories like the Audio head unit, speakers etc. I am going for the Blaupunkt Las Vegas HU and would like to know from owners like you as to what would be the suitable speaker size that would fit in to the TUV's door speaker panel. The SA could not specifically say and I did not carry a measurement tape while going for the booking. So if you guys can suggest the suitable speaker size and may be some specific models too it would be very helpful. Cheers!
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:16   #80
BHPian

Brilliant and outstanding review ! After reading this, I must say you should be named 'Auto Guru'. You've covered everything in great detail. I respect your enthusiasm and dedication to your work. I've been reading your posts since the day you test-drove TUV300 AMT variant. I had already booked TUV300 by then and was reading others review and opinion about the tank. I've noticed that you are the only one who has been constantly updating the readers with your posts regarding the vehicle. Thanks a lot for the same. Thanks again to Tushar, Captain Rex and you for the brilliant reports.

It is good to know that your father was involved in designing our country's battle tanks and I can understand his excitement towards owning the tank. My respect and regards to him. Congratulations on reaching 1000 Kms.

The faulty resonator in my TUV300 has been replaced and the clunking sound has disappeared. However, there is an issue with the front bumper alignment and I've asked them to correct that. The front bumper was not mounted properly and there is a huge gap on one side than the other. I noticed it a day after the vehicle was delivered. I wasn't very sure about it, but after comparing it with other TUVs around, I felt it definitely needed correction. The technicians in the service centre tried to correct the alignment and in the process broke a clip. I've been asked to visit the service centre again next week.
Titanium is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 23:09   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrahul View Post
Dear AutoIndian, Superb review ! Period. I will surely follow your thread for times to come to see how the Tough car takes care of you and your lovely family.
Thank you for your wishes xsrahul. Stay tuned to my thread and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
I just felt every part of the TUV and the search throughout your post. In the past have read many posts but your touching post deserves a big pat on the back.
Ha ha ha, hope my posts have not made you sentimental (just kidding)

Quote:
The TUV is a very good product from Mahindra and ticks the right boxes offering something unique in styling which was a gap in the current market.
The TUV has its pros and cons, but as a complete package it is a winner, which Mahindra has introduced.

Quote:
In fact motivated by your post, I went to the Infinity Autolinks (Vikhroli (W)) showroom to take a TD of the TUV T8 and boy oh boy does it have a awesome pulling power or what. While I am no one to question timing stats quoted by other friends above, but the TUV does push you right back into the seat and feels like it delivers a kick in the backside (maybe that's because its rear wheel drive compared to FWD of the other competitors)
You got it mate. That is the precise reason, I am advising everyone who are considering it to test drive it. Figures on paper don't really tell you the real life experience. One has to drive it to believe it. If you have a sedate driving style and like to potter around (with tonnes of load) then this is the best car in the segment. Remember though this is a SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle), it is not a sports car. Sports cars are usually very powerful, agile, dynamically balanced etc. The TUV has sufficient power and most importantly very good low end torque. It can pull any load you throw at it.

Quote:
If your ownership of the Indica is anything to go by, we are hopeful that the new addition to your family serves you well for many more Smiles. Cheers and keep posting
I stretched the Indica for too long (for various reasons). I am not looking at such a long horizon with my TUV. It could be between 3-5 years, but rest assured those will be very eventful. I think a 5 years time span is the best to change your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I have shortlisted exactly the same 3 cars (TUV / Ertiga / Scorpio) which AutoIndian has test driven and hence wanted to check which car has the most composed ride quality.
TaurusAl, I would suggest you take extensive test drives of each of the above cars that you are considering. I guarantee, you won't be making a wrong decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendagar View Post
Ah, here comes an orange tank less a "Barrel". Thankyou so much Buddy for sharing such a detailed review. It surely is going to help lots of potential buyers getting wiser about their purchase. It took me around an hour and half to go through the complete thread, but was worth it every second.
My pleasure naveendagar. Feels good to know that you found it worth reading.

Quote:
It was shocking to know the goof up of M&M guys regarding missing "B pillar" tape. Any further update from the quality assurance gentleman you met on the bunk??
Thanks for reminding me about the missing "B pillar" cladding. I sent a reminder to the Quality Manager and pat came his reply, "I joined yesterday only after holidays, will check and update you". I am really not hopeful that there will be any positive outcome, but if there is, then it would be a very pleasant surprise.

Quote:
Caveat: Please take extensive test drives before you take the plunge. Even I was swinging like a pendulum between the Ertiga & TUV but in the end, the 120+ km of test driving the TUV answered almost all of my questions and gave me enough confidence to book the same.
Man you are simply great, 120+ km of test driving, how could you manage that? Hats off to the dealer for making the car available for such long test drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Thanks Autoindian for the exhaustive picture review. It is very detailed and I am sure this thread along with Captainrex' & ofcourse the official review would serve as a very useful guide to 'soon to be' owners like me.
Pleased to know that this thread has proved a useful guide to you.

Quote:
I have booked the T4+ variant and awaiting delivery, in the meanwhile, I am procuring vital accessories like the Audio head unit, speakers etc. I am going for the Blaupunkt Las Vegas HU and would like to know from owners like you as to what would be the suitable speaker size that would fit in to the TUV's door speaker panel. The SA could not specifically say and I did not carry a measurement tape while going for the booking. So if you guys can suggest the suitable speaker size and may be some specific models too it would be very helpful. Cheers!
Many congratulations on booking the TUV and welcome to the clan of proud TUV owners. So how much did the T4+ cost you on-road? Please give the break-up. I am sorry, I won't be able to help you much on the speaker size selection

Edit: Seems this is your first post on TBHP, so a warm welcome to the community as well.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 29th November 2015 at 23:10.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 08:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations on booking the TUV and welcome to the clan of proud TUV owners. So how much did the T4+ cost you on-road? Please give the break-up. I am sorry, I won't be able to help you much on the speaker size selection

Edit: Seems this is your first post on TBHP, so a warm welcome to the community as well.
Thanks Autoindian, the t4+ cost breakup is as below (Chennai-rounded figures)
Ex. Showroom price: 749250/-
Bumper to bumper Insurance: 32000/-
Total on road:858250/-
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 08:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumper to bumper Insurance: 32000/-
Did you negotiate on your insurance? Seem high given the Ex showroom price of the T4+ Do negotiate or check on policybazaar for quotes and compare before you finalize.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 08:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Did you negotiate on your insurance? Seem high given the Ex showroom price of the T4+ Do negotiate or check on policybazaar for quotes and compare before you finalize.
Yes Procrustean, I felt the same too and hence have been looking around for insurance quotes else where too. The best quotes start from 20k and I have a NCB to carry over from my previous Wagonr.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 12:40   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The best quotes start from 20k and I have a NCB to carry over from my previous Wagonr.
I think it should be lower if you are carrying over your NCB as well. For the T8 with an IDV of 8.2L, I am getting quotes in the 21-22K range for B2B with no other add ons and without NCB carry over. Most insurer's give a loading discount, which is basically a reduction on own damage premium that you pay. I am getting a 45% loading discount from a couple of insurers. Do check IDV as well as the loading discount that they are offering and ask for a clear break up of the premium along with the cost of various add ons that have been included.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 12:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I think it should be lower if you are carrying over your NCB as well. For the T8 with an IDV of 8.2L, I am getting quotes in the 21-22K range for B2B with no other add ons and without NCB carry over. Most insurer's give a loading discount, which is basically a reduction on own damage premium that you pay. I am getting a 45% loading discount from a couple of insurers. Do check IDV as well as the loading discount that they are offering and ask for a clear break up of the premium along with the cost of various add ons that have been included.
Yes sure, thanks a ton Procrj. I have never come across loading discount, all along I have been asking only for NCB discounts while enquiring with the insurance companies. Thanks once again for the pointer.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:55   #87
BHPian

Great review!! Ever since I have been seeing the TUV300 on the roads, I have started getting this feeling that finally Mahindra has created a vehicle that can actually grow on you, rather than being either just purposeful (Bolero / Scorpio), in-your-face (XUV / New Scorpio) or outright silly (Quanto / Verito Vibe).
Though the pre-launch sketches heightened expectations and the final result was a bit of a damp squib, the car in the flesh slowly starts gaining respect. Though I haven't driven one yet, I am sure this is a car one would enjoy owning.
Many many happy miles to you!!
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:50   #88

Congratulations on your 'Orange Tank' and a wonderful review. Happy and safe motoring. TUV 300 is a serious head-turner from Mahindra. I happened to see a verve blue shade car today morning on my way to work and I could not stop myself from following the car to have another glance. The car's side profile largely resembles a Hummer and it has a commanding road presence.
jeevadeepan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 21:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Update on the registration number:

Finally after daily follow-up, received the registration number from my dealership today. The sales exec texted it to me, number plate will get ready by tomorrow afternoon. I will be able to fit it only on Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 1st December 2015, 02:44   #90
BHPian

Did you got a chance to check the mileage.

Most Viewed