Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:04   #91
BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Update on the registration number:

Finally after daily follow-up, received the registration number from my dealership today. The sales exec texted it to me, number plate will get ready by tomorrow afternoon. I will be able to fit it only on Wednesday or Thursday.
Autoindian, looks like you are enjoying the TUV too much. I have never seen you away from team-bhp for such a long gap ever.

One question for you whenever you are back. We took a test drive of TUV and my wife complained the front passenger seat is very low and she could not see the road. What is your take on this. She is 5'4"
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:10   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Great review!! Though the pre-launch sketches heightened expectations and the final result was a bit of a damp squib, the car in the flesh slowly starts gaining respect. Though I haven't driven one yet, I am sure this is a car one would enjoy owning.
Many many happy miles to you!!
Thank you for your wishes sasi405. I agree, the TUV slowly grows on you. The car definitely looks good in flesh than in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevadeepan View Post
Congratulations on your 'Orange Tank' and a wonderful review. Happy and safe motoring. TUV 300 is a serious head-turner from Mahindra. I happened to see a verve blue shade car today morning on my way to work and I could not stop myself from following the car to have another glance. The car's side profile largely resembles a Hummer and it has a commanding road presence.
Thanks for your wishes jeevadeepan. Even I loved the blue colour, but Dad was hell bent on orange, hence I had to give up. There is hardly any car to the south of 10 lacs, which has think kind of road presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Did you got a chance to check the mileage.
vijaycool, the first tankful that I did yielded me 13.46 kmpl (100% city driving with 100% AC). This week end I will do my second tankful and will let you know the mileage. It will definitely be higher that the previous figure. I think after first service (oil change) it should stabilize at 15 kmpl mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Autoindian, looks like you are enjoying the TUV too much. I have never seen you away from team-bhp for such a long gap ever.
You got it right mate. Office work kept me too much occupied since the start of this week, hence not many posts on TBHP. Wish the TUV would have kept me occupied instead of office work.

Quote:
One question for you whenever you are back. We took a test drive of TUV and my wife complained the front passenger seat is very low and she could not see the road. What is your take on this. She is 5'4"
The TUV seats and the cabin as a whole is set up very high. You actually sit very high above the ground. Having said that the bonnet if also set very high. Now combine this with the high dashboard, I can understand why your wife is complaining. The front passenger seat is low compared to the dash and the bonnet. Due to that she might not to able to see the immediate road. If you don't mind I would like to ask you one question, was it the first time she was sitting in a SUV, because more or less she would get the same feeling in any SUV. In MUVs however (like Innova, Ertiga, Lodgy etc) she would get a better view of the road and the things around would be more airy.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:46   #93
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't mind I would like to ask you one question, was it the first time she was sitting in a SUV, because more or less she would get the same feeling in any SUV. In MUVs however (like Innova, Ertiga, Lodgy etc) she would get a better view of the road and the things around would be more airy.
No not at all. We have zeroed down the XUV after extensive test drives. I am more inclined to save 4-5 lakhs as I have some other expense cropping up. She is very comfortable in XUV but finds TUV's seat a bit low and feels claustrophobic. So asked if this is the case with most females sitting in the front seat.
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
She is very comfortable in XUV but finds TUV's seat a bit low and feels claustrophobic. So asked if this is the case with most females sitting in the front seat.
Since the TUV is fitted within the 4 metre length restriction, the front windshield has a sharp rake. The Innova or the XUV has a more sloping front windshield, which gives an airy/roomy feeling. My Dad who is 5'9" normally occupies the front co-driver seat. He has never felt claustrophobic, but shorter people may feel so. However once in a while when my wife occupies the co-driver seat, she dose not have anything to complain. She is 5'3".

The passenger of TUV seat does not have the seat height adjustment like the driver seat, else your wife could have felt better when the seat could have been raised up. If she likes the XUV front passenger seat, then better go for XUV.
Old 4th December 2015, 11:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Since the TUV is fitted within the 4 metre length restriction, the front windshield has a sharp rake. The Innova or the XUV has a more sloping front windshield, which gives an airy/roomy feeling. My Dad who is 5'9" normally occupies the front co-driver seat. He has never felt claustrophobic, but shorter people may feel so. However once in a while when my wife occupies the co-driver seat, she dose not have anything to complain. She is 5'3".

The passenger of TUV seat does not have the seat height adjustment like the driver seat, else your wife could have felt better when the seat could have been raised up. If she likes the XUV front passenger seat, then better go for XUV.
Test drove on various surfaces yesterday. I have made up my mind to book the TUV in silver Avtar. The pulling power is just mind-blowing and very addictive. Only question remains, with gear or automatic. Have not got a chance to test the automatic yet. Will do tomorrow morning and take the plunge.

PS. This time my wife felt comfortable and did not complain of the dashboard being too high. So got the green signal.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 12:28   #96
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Auto Indian, wish you a lacs of trouble free miles with your tank. Firstly, your TUV looks totally eye candy in this particular orange, unique shade than regular white and silver. Your review is very honest and well written like our official review. When TUV was launched I thought this might not be a true rugged Mahindra, but after reading yours and CAPTAIN REX review, I am happy to admit that my judgement was totally wrong. Sad to read about your innova but then it was happy ending with orange tank.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 4th December 2015 at 12:31.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 16:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Friends, just now did the third tankful of my Orange Tank and it gulped 44.64 litres of diesel after travelling 637 kms, giving me a FE of 14.28 kmpl. After auto cut off there was some manual top up, but not up to the brim. All the running has been within city with 100% AC.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 16:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, just now did the third tankful of my Orange Tank and it gulped 44.64 litres of diesel after travelling 637 kms, giving me a FE of 14.28 kmpl. After auto cut off there was some manual top up, but not up to the brim. All the running has been within city with 100% AC.
I assume that the diesel is about Rs 52/lt. Then you paid about Rs 2,321/- for 637 km - which boils down to Rs 3.65 per km! Awesome!

In my Honda City I filled about 34 lt to get about 500 km at Rs 72 / lt, which comes to about Rs 2,448 or so. That is an average of 14.7 km/lt. This boils down to Rs Rs 4.90 per km.
So the theory of petrol vs diesel of 1.5 lt engine having a difference of 1.00 Rs/km is not all that off! Considering that your tank is much heavier, the difference of Rs 1.25 / km is cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Just for your information, my Jazz is giving about 15.2 km/lt as of now, which boils down to about Rs 4.80 per km. Hopefully, it will improve with usage like it did for the City.
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 16:50   #99
Senior - BHPian

Also fitted the number plates. Sharing some pics.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20151205_161815.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20151205_161751.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20151205_161804.jpg

Mods, pl merge this post with the above one. I tried appending it to the above post but it was beyond the 30 mins window.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 17:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I assume that the diesel is about Rs 52/lt. Then you paid about Rs 2,321/- for 637 km - which boils down to Rs 3.65 per km! Awesome
You are almost right. I tanked up at the shell bunk near KSB Pump chowk. Diesel price there was Rs 52.95/- to a litre. So I paid Rs 2350/- for the 44.64 odd litres that I filled averaging a running cost of Rs 3.69 to a km. Incidentally my cars number is 3269 D
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:23   #101
BHPian

Quote:
AutoIndian, isn't it mandatory to fix HSRPs( high security registration plates) on cars in Maharashtra? I'm getting the number plates fixed on my TUV today. I've been told that the number plates must have IND embossed on them with the hologram and chakra. M&M dealership here isn't willing to fix the number plates and am getting the job done outside.
Old 7th December 2015, 17:01   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer name on the number plate can land you in trouble with the cops. It's not legal to have anything other than the registration number on the plate.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
AutoIndian, isn't it mandatory to fix HSRPs( high security registration plates) on cars in Maharashtra? I'm getting the number plates fixed on my TUV today. I've been told that the number plates must have IND embossed on them with the hologram and chakra. M&M dealership here isn't willing to fix the number plates and am getting the job done outside.
Dear Titanium,
Even I got my plate in Nov 2015 in Pune. It is not HSRP. I had not put any thought in this. But, it looks like it is not required - as yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The dealer name on the number plate can land you in trouble with the cops. It's not legal to have anything other than the registration number on the plate.
Technically, you are right. I did not check this. Even my plates have 'Deccan Honda' written on it. My previous City also had it. Nobody ever questioned it! Fingers crossed!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Titanium,
Even I got my plate in Nov 2015 in Pune. It is not HSRP. I had not put any thought in this. But, it looks like it is not required - as yet!

Technically, you are right. I did not check this. Even my plates have 'Deccan Honda' written on it. My previous City also had it. Nobody ever questioned it! Fingers crossed!

Girish Mahajan
Thank you Girish for answering both the above queries on my behalf.

@ Titanium, if the HSRPs( high security registration plates) were mandatory my dealer would have informed me so and offered me those, but it is not the case.

@ Eddy, it may not be legal to have anything other than the registration number on the plate, also I never asked the dealer to advertise his name on my number plate. If ever the cops catch me for advertising the dealer name on my number plate I am surely going to discard those number plates for better one. Till such time I will continue with them.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 21:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
It's not legal to have anything other than the registration number on the plate.
Quote:
Dear Titanium,
Quote:
@ Titanium, if the HSRPs( high security registration plates) were mandatory my dealer would have informed me so and offered me those, but it is not the case.
Thanks Eddy, GKMahajan and AutoIndian. I had absolutely no clue about HSRPs until last week. I learnt about it only when the number plate dealer mentioned that it was mandatory. However, after installing the number plates today, I realized that they are duplicate ones. But all other vehicles getting the number plates fixed today had the same hologram and IND printed on them. Also, in the last two days I've observed many other vehicles in my city having the same type of number plates too.

I know that I am definitely going to land in trouble when I travel out of state.I should have done a proper study before installing the number plates. I wasn't aware of it. Will have to figure out a way to cover the hologram/IND or change the number plates to new ones. Thanks a lot again for clearing my doubt.
Titanium is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed