Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 18:27   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The 40K service is scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday, Aug 18th), keeping my fingers crossed. Will share further details once I reach the MASS. Nothing major to report. The tank is just chugging along. Besides the regular service I want to get two issues addressed.
  1. Both front seat belts retraction and
  2. Left front door minor rattle while going over rough road
Planning to get the wheel alignment and balancing done outside at my regular tyre shop, Darshan Tyres.
Went to the MASS Kundan Motors at 10 am today. The regular Service Advisor was not present, so other one took my car to prepare the job card. Besides regular service I told him to address the above two issues. Also when he opened the bonnet I observed some oil leakage on the right hand side of the engine cover. SA mentioned that the gasket on that side might have gone and would need to be replaced.

He informed his technical person to test drive the car to identify the rattling noise. I joined him in co-driver's seat. He took the car on rough road. There was some sound, he said that it was due to the change (coins) placed in cup holder. I then removed all the coins from there. Then I could make out that one of the two freshner bottles head was banging against the cup holder wall. When I removed the bottle the noise vanished. I still could not believe that the rattling noise all this while was that of the loosely fitted bottle banging against the plastic wall. I told the technician to extend the ride till I was satisfied. He then observed that the gear lever in 2nd & 3rd was making minor sound when accelerating, which he said would be rectified. Also gear shifter was hitting some part when going over undulations/speed breakers. The technician mentioned that the shifter bush would be replaced (as a part of some recall I believe).

After the test drive the SA explained me the work that would be done, the part and labor estimate + GST, would take the service cost in the range of 8-9K. I said OK, but hand over the car to me by 5pm. He said that they were already full and cars that came in the workshop for servicing 2-3 days back were yet to be delivered. Looks like after the closure of Silver Jubilee, Kundan Motors, Vidyanagar is quite overloaded. They have now started working even on Sundays. In summary he mentioned that car will be delivered @ 12:00 pm on Sunday. I unwillingly accepted it.

At 5:30pm I called the SA to check the progress. He mentioned that the fluids have been changed. The gasket replaced and sealant applied. It will take time to dry and car will have to be washed tomorrow morning. He mentioned that brake pad thickness was about 5.5 mm. I gave him the go ahead to replace the front brake pads. Out of the two front belts, he mentioned that driver side belt has been replaced with new one (under warranty). Left side front seat belt is not in stock . I can get it replaced later once it is available. He mentioned that right side fog lamp had fused. Till yesterday it was working fine. I wonder how I didn't notice it. Or is this some new tactic to squeeze out some more money ?

Keeping my fingers crossed till I get my car back in hand tomorrow. I am guessing the bill would easily cross 10K mark.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 18th August 2018 at 18:32.
AutoIndian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 14:30   #332
Senior - BHPian

Called up my SA @ 11:30 am and he said that washing was almost done & I can come to pick up the car by 12:00 pm as committed. He told me that the total bill has come to 10.5K. I said that's fine. Will see the break-up once I come there.

Once I reached there he explained me each and every item on the bill. There was one item for ACDISINFECTION HVAC amounting to 1K. I plainly refused to pay for that, since neither I had told him to do it nor I was informed earlier that it would be done. The SA immediately obliged and struck it off from the bill. Rest of the items looked fine. So gave him the go-ahead

Paid Rs 9.5K, took the gate pass and took a small test ride. Clutch felt really smooth to operate, may be change of clutch/brake fluid did the trick. The new seat belt on driver side or working like charm. It retracts completely. However for the co-driver side seat belt I will have to make another visit as that was not in stock. My SA told me that it is expected in a week to 10 days time and shouldn't take more than 15 mins to replace it. SA mentioned that front brake pads were almost 5.5 mm thick, no he has not replaced and said this can be done in next service i.e. at 50K, hope they would last that long without damaging the brake discs. Usually I am pretty easy on the brakes, so should not be a problem.

Below is the break up of part and labor charges.
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-breakup-part-labor-charges.jpg

Overall pretty much satisfied with the service. Would not hesitate to give a 10/10 in case customer service calls me for feedback.
AutoIndian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 14:07   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However for the co-driver side seat belt I will have to make another visit as that was not in stock. My SA told me that it is expected in a week to 10 days time and shouldn't take more than 15 mins to replace it.
Keeping to their committment, my MASS called me at the begining of this week and informed me that the co-driver side seat belt has come in stock and I can come to the service center to get it fitted. I informed them them to give me an appontment of Saturdaymorning, which they duly did. On Friday when I called my SA, he informed me that Saturday will be a busy day & it would be better if I can some on Sunday morning, when there is not much rush. I was happy to shift the appointment to Sunday.

Today morning I called my SA at 09:15am & he informed me that he would be late & I can reach out to the other SA. When I called the other fellow he didn't pick up the phone. In any case I reached the service center at the scheduled time of 09:30 am. Had to wait for 45 mins till the other SA arrived. He was not aware about my appointment. When I told him that I had come to replace the co-driver side seat belt, he immediately made the job card. He then called the warranty person, who was not there in the workshop. After 2 failed attempts the third time he could connect. My SA then informed me that warranty person won't be coming to workshop and if I want to get it replaced today itself then I will have to pay from my pocket, else come any other day. When I expressed my frustration and told him to replace it in any case, he obliged, Car was taken inside @ 10"30 am. While I was waiting in the customer lounge, I remembered that the new fog lamp fitted during 40K service was directing the light throw upwards, so I took the SA along with me to the car. To my utter surprise I saw that the mechanic had dismantled the driver side seat belt.. My SA gave the mechanic a good piece of mind. Only then he and his supervisor realized their mistake. They then started dismantling the co-driver side belt assembly and fitting back the driver side assembly. They also did the RHS fog lamp adjustment. When I casually checked the driver seat belt, it now started getting stuck. It was working perfectly fine till the mechanic had dismantled it. They had to again open that assembly and observed that the pin was getting stuck. Finally he fixed it and handed over the car back to me by 12:15pm. Huhh, two hours of my Sunday morning were wasted due to the callousness of the SA and the mechanic. Nevertheless got my car back with this teething trouble of belt retraction getting fixed permanently, which had plagued the car since day#1. Sharing some pics below.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 2nd September 2018 at 14:33.
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:49   #334
Senior - BHPian

Somehow in the earlier post, could not upload the pictures due to server issue, hence doing it here.

The driver seat belt assembly
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-driver-side-belt-assembly1.jpg

The driver seat belt assembly-up close
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-driver-side-belt-assembly2.jpg

Headlamp leveling board
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-headlamp-levelling.jpg
Old 9th September 2018, 14:03   #335
Senior - BHPian

It had been almost 4 months I had not given a thorough wash to my Orange tank. Although two weeks back it underwent the 40K service and the subsequent washing, it again became dirty, courtesy to the stretched rainy season. Last couple of days the heavens had opened up and today I got a chance to exercise my muscles. So spent almost 3 hours with my Orange tank, first washing and drying it and then applying the Jopasu liquid spray wax. Could not resist a quick photo shoot session. Sharing below the results.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank01.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank02.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank03.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank04.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank05.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank06.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank07.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank08.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank09.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-orange-tank10.jpg
AutoIndian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 16:49   #336
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Mahindra parts are getting costlier by the day. 2 days back my LHS fog lamp fused. Since today I had some free time, I thought the calling of Service Advisor to check if the fog lamp can be replaced. He told me to come @ 3pm and accordingly I went there. He didn't even prepare the job card and as per over the counter sale got a new fog lamp and fitted it in 20 mins. Another 20 mins was spent in adjusting its throw as it was going up in the air and not falling on ground.

I was charged Rs 540/- just for the lamp (including CGST & SGST). Fortunately no labor charges. However just 2 months back I had done my 40K service and that time I got the RHS fog lamp replaced. That time I was charged Rs 467/- in the invoice. This means the price have shot up by 16% in just 2 months. Not sure about other spare parts though. Does any one has any idea if recently there was an upwards revision in Mahindra spare part prices?
Old 21st October 2018, 13:09   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was charged Rs 540/- just for the lamp (including CGST & SGST)
A Philips H8 costs about the same. Does M&M use Philips H8s for fog lamps?
Old 21st October 2018, 15:52   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
A Philips H8 costs about the same. Does M&M use Philips H8s for fog lamps?
It is not a Philips make, but an Osram H8 12V, made in Germany. Could that be the reason of it's high price because it is imported from Germany? Refer the pics below.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181021_154257959.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181021_154214115.jpg
Old 21st October 2018, 20:18   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is not a Philips make, but an Osram H8 12V, made in Germany. Could that be the reason of it's high price because it is imported from Germany?
Osram's are almost as good as philips and if its made in Germany, then I wouldn't mind paying 540 for a bulb as the quality is standard. Most of Philips bulbs are also made in Germany, which could be a reason for the relatively high cost.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:03   #340
Senior - BHPian

Wishing all my TBHP brethern a very Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year. Today's day is very special for me because it's not just Diwali but it is the third birthday of my Orange Tank. Yes, three years back, on this very same day the Orange Tank was brought home. It has clocked 43K kms till date. These three years of ownership have been absolutely bliss and satisfying. Wish I could have clocked some more mileage on the tank, nevertheless it has been a wonderful experience all this while. Will try to summarize my ownership experience in the course of the day. Sharing the picture, 3 years flashback, when the tank was brought home.
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn4579.jpg
AutoIndian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 18:11   #341
Senior - BHPian

The three years with the Orange Tank have been pretty eventful. Besides the early niggles faced during the first year of ownership (which every new product launch is expected to have), there were no major issues. I am pleasantly surprised (and quite impressed) about the reliability of the tank. Scanty electronics and robust mechanicals (which is the forte of Mahindra) could be one of the reasons why the Tank has been so reliable.

I am sharing below some statistics of my Tank (that I religiously maintain in my age old spreadsheet). You can make your own conclusions. Happy to clarify in case of any queries
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-kmpl-chart.png

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-maintenance-expense-per-km.png

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-maintenance-expense-summary.png

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-monthly-running.png

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-rs-per-km-graph.png

Name:  Yearly Running.png
Views: 847
Size:  15.1 KB

Last edited by AutoIndian : 7th November 2018 at 18:12.
AutoIndian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 22:05   #342
Senior - BHPian

Did the customary Pooja, garlanding and photo shoot of the Orange Tank today evening. Here are some pictures.
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181107_185732225.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181107_185701142.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181107_185631994.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20181107_185523637.jpg
AutoIndian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 22:41   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Mahindra parts are getting costlier by the day. 2 days back my LHS fog lamp fused. Since today I had some free time, I thought the calling of Service Advisor to check if the fog lamp can be replaced. He told me to come @ 3pm and accordingly I went there. He didn't even prepare the job card and as per over the counter sale got a new fog lamp and fitted it in 20 mins. Another 20 mins was spent in adjusting its throw as it was going up in the air and not falling on ground.

I was charged Rs 540/- just for the lamp (including CGST & SGST). Fortunately no labor charges. However just 2 months back I had done my 40K service and that time I got the RHS fog lamp replaced. That time I was charged Rs 467/- in the invoice. This means the price have shot up by 16% in just 2 months. Not sure about other spare parts though. Does any one has any idea if recently there was an upwards revision in Mahindra spare part prices?
The 35W fog lamps are very expensive even outside(in comparison to BE). The price you are quoting is cheap , when I bought a spare outside it did cost me around 700 INR.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 17:58   #344
BHPian

Hi Autoindian.

I’ve been following your thread for sometime now. I’ve also gone through procrj’s Red dwarf thread. I’ve become a fan now. Both your ownership reviews have been quite detailed, right from your purchase experience to your weekend jaunts. Need your advice.

I’ve been looking at upgrading from my Figo TDCI 1.4. Its already completed 93K & thought it would be best to upgrade now. My requirements seem to be quite similar to yours. We are a family of 5 which includes 2 kids(daughters). I do about 60 Kms a day. Bumper to Bumper traffic at times. Bangalore traffic can be chaotic. There will be those weekend jaunts to hill stations & also some interstate drive.

I’ve taken Test drives of the Tank, 5 actually, the T10 100 BHP. Quite frankly I’ve been blown away. It’s amazingly spacious, reasonably refined with acceptable road manners. The turbo lag seems negligible even when compared to the 1.5 Ltr from Ford ( I had test diven the Ecosport & the New Aspire), which is a benchmark of sorts. My question is how has it been to live with? Being a 3 cylinder, How would you Rate it on the highways. Also what about cost of spares & maintenance & the FE bit. Somehow 16-17 does seem less. The Figo does manage to give 22 on the highway, despite having old school mechanicals. I know the comparison seems a little off, the Figo being a Hatch & TUV300 being SUV category. Still needed your inputs, before taking the plunge.
iamsai_iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 19:47   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsai_iyer View Post
Bangalore traffic can be chaotic.
amen to that

Quote:
My question is how has it been to live with?
M&M have fixed almost every niggle and the current batch of cars are really quiet good. Going to be 3 years and I dont regret buying the car but service is another story. Most A.S.S in Bangalore are bad and you need to ensure that you know what they are trying to do and kind of keep 2 steps ahead.

Quote:
Being a 3 cylinder, How would you Rate it on the highways.
If you plan to drive steadily in the 90-110 kmph range, then its no problem at all. If your drives are mostly going to be 4/6L towards TN/KL/AP/MH from BLR, then you have nothing to worry about. It does tend to bounce around a little but if its full loaded with 5-6 people, it handles much much better. Having said that, even with 2 people of board its a very decent drive but just need to ensure that you slow down a bit if see a dip in the road.

This is not the car for spirited driving. After 110 kmph, it loses steam and you really need to have a lot of patience and relatively straight stretches of road for the needed to move upwards of 100.

On 2L SH/NHs also its pretty easy to drive because of the low end torque. I have had other SUVs trying to overtake me on 2L SH but just couldn't because by the time they hit their turbo range from a slow down, the tank is already some distance away thanks to the low end grunt. Having said that, given its size, you need to plan overtakes and ensure you keep enough braking distance.

I have also driven on some very narrow and steep curves and the car take it all in with aplomb. RWD ensures you dont have to worry about momentum and you can still climb a steep incline from dead stop without any drama. If you know how to take the curves, wheelspin is not in issue.

Quote:
Also what about cost of spares & maintenance
I have shared details on my ownership thread. When compared to a Ford, the cost is slightly higher but much lower than the Korean & Japs.

Quote:
& the FE bit. Somehow 16-17 does seem less.
Even if you check Creta ownership threads, you will see that the real word F.E figures are 16-17 kmpl range. Same with S Cross and Brezza. Nexon F.E might be higher because of its 6 speed tranny. Spirited driving will ensure that your real world F.E is 16-18 kmpl range during highway trips. Bangalore city F.E really cannot be spoken about because in the IT corridor, you crawl and there is absolutely no point talking F.E.

My 2 cents before you pick up the car:
1. Hire a zoom car TUV and take it for a spin for a day. Drive on a good mix of 2L & 4L. It should give you a good feel of the car.
2. Buy the tank only if you are sure that you need to seat 5 folks in the car. Else the Ecosport/S Cross/Creta/Nexon are good options to consider
3. Be mentally prepared to deal with some very lackadaisical folks at MASS

Happy hunting!

Last edited by procrj : 25th November 2018 at 19:57.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed