Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:15   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

European car manufacturers do tend to recommend very high tyre pressures. They don't care to adjust it for Indian conditions. I remember with my Skoda, the recommended pressure was 32 psi all round for medium load and with full load (picture depicts 4 heads and luggage), this changes to 36 psi front and insane 43 psi for rear tyres. So that's a 30% increase in recommended pressure for a change in load! I never went that high, as if I did the passengers in my car would have broken teeth by the end of the journey.

For Indian conditions anything above 35 psi is too hard and you are bound to damage not only your tyres but suspension too when you thud into our typical potholes. We need more cushioning from rubber for our roads. 30 psi will not count as underinflation for a car like the 3GT and you won't risk tyre burst or bulge because of 'low pressure'. Even for my X3 riding on 50 profile 18s, they recommend about 32 psi all round for medium load and something like 34/36 for high load.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
We need more cushioning from rubber for our roads. 30 psi will not count as underinflation for a car like the 3GT and you won't risk tyre burst or bulge because of 'low pressure'. Even for my X3 riding on 50 profile 18s, they recommend about 32 psi all round for medium load and something like 34/36 for high load.
Totally agree. Manufacturers recommending 37-38 psi for a car running on runflats, 17 inch alloys and 55 profile tyre is insane, that stiff suspension is an icing on the cake.
I have not went beyond 31-32 in my 320D and it is the best compromise according to me, 37-38 would damage the tyres and am wondering how much beating would the suspension take with runflats inflated at 37-38 on Indian roads.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 00:25   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
To each his own. If you can show me even one situation where driving with 30 or 32psi has caused a tyre burst or over heating. I shall take your word for it.

Till then pressures like 26 are what I would consider underinflation. The recommended pressures are for European conditions where the average speed is well over 80kmph, and far higher on autobahns.

If you consider the roads here autobahns and are happy hearing a big thud and feeling a jolt every time you crash into a bump or pothole please go ahead and continue filling your 36/38psi. Till then please let others enjoy their ride more with a bit more comfort.

Let me also add there is a much higher chance of you getting sidewall or tyre damage running 36/38psi on these roads.
Thanks akshay1234

I will bring down the pressure for the GT to more sensible levels. I did that for Yeti as well, for which the placarded pressure is 34/40. I now keep it 32/34. Likewise, I'll experiment with the tyre pressure on the GT.

However, I'm quite surprised that the manufacturers don't localize their recommendations, particularly if their is a greater risk of sidewall/tyre damage. I personally feel that if this is the case, then manufacturers are being outrightly irresponsible.

Further the manufacturers provide varying guidance for different loading conditions. While I understand the logic for this, I like to settle down to a pressure setting which I don't need to change too often. That's somewhere in between the extremes of loading conditions, because that is how, at least my cars get driven.

Also, their doesn't appear any consensus on the advise available on different forums on the net either. I guess with such wide variance in advise and opinions, a pressure difference of couple of psi might not be too critical.

I should think that the recommended tyre pressures would be a compromise between ride-quality, tyre wear, suspension component wear, nature of tyre wear etc. There would therefore be some latitude on either side of the recommendation. Shouldn't the manufacturers should clearly state so?

I also wonder whether it makes a difference if the tyres are run-flat vs normal tyres. Logically it should, as the sidewall stiffness would also play a role. The more pliant sidewalls of non RFT would not only improve the ride, but probably also provide better surface contact between the tyre and the tarmac.

In the end it's all very confusing.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 3rd February 2016 at 00:28.
Old 17th February 2016, 09:40   #49

Hi,

I have a 320d highline (previous gen.) that's nearly 5 years old and am considering a new car. I'd like a sedan/coupe that's engaging and feature-rich but also spacious. While the GT isn't really an upgrade, I like its roominess, its frameless windows and its foldable rear seats (great play area for my little boys).

What other cars should I consider?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 27th February 2016, 20:53   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthewheel View Post
Hi,

I have a 320d highline (previous gen.) that's nearly 5 years old and am considering a new car. I'd like a sedan/coupe that's engaging and feature-rich but also spacious. While the GT isn't really an upgrade, I like its roominess, its frameless windows and its foldable rear seats (great play area for my little boys).

What other cars should I consider?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sorry for the late reply I seem to have missed this post. I think you should consider the all new Superb. Spectacular product at a great price. You should also have a look at the all new 2016 X1 to see if it fits your requirements.
Old 28th February 2016, 09:13   #51
BHPian

Dear Axe77 -I have read your post multiple number of times and echo your sentiments on the options considered (esp. the Camry hybrid), reasons for rejection etc.

Axe77/All - Need your advice on the following:
I currently own a 2014 Fortuner, 2011 Corolla Altis and i10. However I am planning to go the used car route to own my first luxury car by trading in the Fortuner.

Being offered two options - both Aug'15 demo cars:

- 320d LL (Aug'15 regd) with <10k on the ODO for 32 Lacs OTR.
- 3GT LL (unregistered) with ~15K on the ODO for 37 Lacs OTR.

The cars have original warranty till Aug'17. I am planning to purchase extended (2+) 4 year warranty for ~2.05 Lacs which will cover the car till Aug'21.
I intend to keep the car for 6-7 years and am keen to take the 5 or 6 year BSI pack but the Used Car Head has advised me not to plonk the additional money upfront stating the following:
- A 5 year/100kms plan comes at ~ 4.4 Lacs , which works out to 90k per year (without considering interest /returns on upfront investment.).
- Routine expenses would be 25-30 K per year , while major services (incl brake pad changes etc.) will be 85-80k. (maybe 2-3 times in 5 years)
- Major components will get anyway covered under the Repair inclusive plan (2+4) that I plan to take.

This will be my 1st pre-owned/luxury car - Please advise on which car/deal makes sense and also on whether I should still consider the BSI pack.
Plan to close the deal in a day or two so any urgent advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:44   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- 320d LL (Aug'15 regd) with <10k on the ODO for 32 Lacs OTR
In one word , stay away from Demo cars , they are asking you too much prices , i recently sold mine 730-D 2014 with less then 25 K and BSI for less then 65 Lac , if you must pick something used , go for a single ownership car. 3 series were sold at huge discounts till December / January.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 16:04   #53
Team-BHP Support

2015 BMW 3 GT Sport Line - Initial ownership review

I would second Turbanator's advice on Demo cars. STAY AWAY. A demo car is likely to be the most abused option available. You'd rather pay for a car with twice on the ODO by a single user.

See if you can get a good deal on a pre facelift 3 or 2015 stock GT if possible. The 2016 GT has also received some minor updates and therefore discounts are not as high as they were when I bought it. Else simply keep looking out for a good low used example in the second hand market. I'm sure you'll find a good one if you wait and search.

Good luck.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2016 at 16:14.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:02   #54
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 3 GT Sports Line - Oct 2015. Initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
11. FUEL EFFICIENCY

I've only had one highway drive during which the FE if I recall hovered in the 11-12 kmpl range. In heavy city traffic, it gives me around 8-9 kmpl so far. This is based on the real time display. I refilled at a little lower than quarter tank today (when it blinked "Reserve") and it filled about 53 odd litres. Indicated tank range on a full tank is about 700 odd kms.
I've driven the car about 3500 kms now since October end. The general real time read out with 100% Mumbai traffic is in the region of 9-9.4 kmpl (I don't necessarily reconfirm this with the top up method). This includes some fun driving when I'm at the wheel but mostly has in city modest pace heavy traffic driving.

Quote:
IN DUE COURSE ...

I will try and update the thread on:
- Any other sundry experience that's worth sharing
One annoying feature. Even though my iphone 6S is paired to the system, very often it doesn't successfully pair the phone. To address this, I have to put the gear in "Park" and reboot the iDrive (super long press Audio Power key) till BMW logo reappears. Most of the time this sorts the issue out although sometimes even this doesn't work.

Has anyone else faced this pairing issue with their Beemers? Any suggestions to make this work seamlessly?

On all other fronts, touch wood I'm super happy with the car and I've had no ownership issues whatsoever. The car has done one trip to Pune (shortly after purchase) and one more recent trip to Pavana - where I actually braved the trip without the space saver since I loaded my bicycle in the boot as well. I'm happy buying a notchback pays off on such occasions, since I could travel two adults plus kid in a car seat and still fit luggage PLUS a road bicycle inside the car.

At last readout, the car told me that service is due in "6000 kms", so that means its currently running a service interval of effectively about 10,500 kms. I don't really mind since I'm fully BSI paid for 5 years 60,000 kms.

Will update any other relevant updates from time to time.
Old 25th May 2016, 15:30   #55
bhp
BHPian

Re: BMW 3 GT Sports Line - Oct 2015. Initial ownership review

Quote:

One annoying feature. Even though my iphone 6S is paired to the system, very often it doesn't successfully pair the phone. To address this, I have to put the gear in "Park" and reboot the iDrive (super long press Audio Power key) till BMW logo reappears. Most of the time this sorts the issue out although sometimes even this doesn't work.

Has anyone else faced this pairing issue with their Beemers? Any suggestions to make this work seamlessly?

At last readout, the car told me that service is due in "6000 kms", so that means its currently running a service interval of effectively about 10,500 kms. I don't really mind since I'm fully BSI paid for 5 years 60,000 kms.
I was facing the same bluetooth connectivity issues. But got my idrive software updated to the latest version and its working flawlessly so far.

Below is the link to download the software using the cars Vin number. Its a 10 min job.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html.

My cars first service happened around 8500 kms.
bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 18:22   #56
Team-BHP Support

Just put some extra water soaking matting from the 3M folks near Four Seasons Hotel. Cost around 7,000 INR including taxes etc. I like the fact that there's a little less beige all around thanks to the black mats.

Seems really neat and useful protection against the sea of beige in the car. The 3D Kagu mats (or something like that) were being quoted at about 13-15,000.

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467809386.281111.jpg
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 18:44   #57
BHPian

Hey was your car Dange Chowk area of Pune last week?
Old 6th July 2016, 20:14   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Hey was your car Dange Chowk area of Pune last week?

Apparently there's no brief way of replying to this but the answer is No. :-)
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:20   #59
Team-BHP Support

Got my 3 GT detailed from Kamyo yesterday.

Interior + Exterior.

Total cost 10,000 INR (includes 1000 Rs. for using a 3rd party petrol pump as venue).

It was a great experience dealing with them and they are extremely transparent on all aspects. I'm not expert enough to give a rating on the detailing job but as a layperson I was extremely happy with the end result.

There were some scratches where the paint has come off and he had told me from the beginning that there's nothing that can be done about them. I guess also one of the perils of having a very dark shade.

On the interiors, my boot as well as right side driver handle had become particularly mucky thanks to some frequent outdoor trips. They were cleaned out beautifully. I've also been on several fairly rough terrain outdoor trips around Mumbai and the interior engine compartment was completely spruced up by them. Unfortunately didn't take before after pics of the engine bay but the difference is amazing.

Personally, I'm pretty clear all my cars are going to go to Kamyo for their routine detailing.

Here are some before and after pics.

BEFORE

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4091.jpg

AFTER

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4092.jpg
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:03   #60
BHPian

Looking for a change from my x1 and almost finalized the GT
The only worry I have is the ground clearance - I have been driving high slung cars for the last several years and wondering how good/bad the GT is in terms of tackling the ever present speedbreakers in Pune/Mumbai

The specs sheet of the GT doesn't mention the GC anywhere - Would really appreciate if you could share your experience

Most Viewed