Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:22   #31
BHPian

Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
...Hi wildy, congratulations for your Pre-worshipped Fiat....

....Since then I was always curious to know how this naturally aspirated 1.9L high displacement engine would fare against current low displacement turbocharged engines, which are high on torque. If you can, will you please elaborate?
Thank You Aniruddha_Ch for your kind words.

Honestly, I'm a layman in terms of technology and engines. But let me say, each engine has its own merits and demerits. Let me quote some information of this link as below.

Naturally Aspirated vs. super- or turbocharged: Meaning: A naturally aspirated engine takes in air to mix with fuel and create combustion on its own. Supercharged engines use some kind of compressor to force additional air into the engine. Turbochargers are technically a specific type of supercharger -- one that uses an exhaust-driven turbine to force more air into the engine. (Strictly speaking, when most people talk about superchargers, they're talking about mechanically-driven compressors.) Using super- and turbochargers on smaller engines allows you to extract greater performance from a smaller (and usually lighter) engine.

Hope that helps.

I also recommend you to read the following links for more information.

Naturally Aspirated Engine

Turbocharger
Old 4th December 2015, 21:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Cyberdoctorind, Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback. It's great to know your car crossed 2 Lakh Kms. It would be great to read your detailed experience thread which could be very helpful for the newbies like me. And I shall surely follow your kind suggestions. BTW, which oil you use in your Palio? Currently, Iam using Castrol GTX. Somewhere, I read Palio D's engine is well with Mineral Oil and the oil should be changed once in 5000 kms to have a good engine life.
I use Mobil Delvac MX 20W40. It's a mineral oil and retains it characteristics even at 7500kms. I have never changed oil before 7500 kms. I do not have any thread as such but I shall follow your thread and will try to answer your queries on this thread. Please ask in case you need any clarifications. OEM Spare Parts are available so do not use substandard parts. I am from Hyderabad and in case you need any help with spares please PM me.

Best Regards
Shiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
Since then I was always curious to know how this naturally aspirated 1.9L high displacement engine would fare against current low displacement turbocharged engines, which are high on torque. If you can, will you please elaborate?
This engine is mated to a rather lazy gearbox. It has been said that the strain on the engine is minimal due to the gearbox. Torque comes in around at a low rpm which enables this car to be driven in 3rd gear in city all day long. Power is on the tap as this is a NA engine and there is no lag in the linear delivery. This engine runs out of steam post 3000 and the max that I could take her is close to 145kmph on a flat road. The engine is very tractable across all the rpm ranges but does NOT beg to be pushed hard. Keep her under 3000 RPM and with the superior suspension this car flies.

I also had a Punto 90 which I sold and based on the experience with the car, I feel the low displacement engines have to work harder when mated to a not so great gearbox or even otherwise compared to the engines of higher displacement to get to a specific speed.

Mods: I could not get a hang of the multi quote functionality leading to back to back posts. Apologies.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th December 2016 at 09:23. Reason: back to back posts merged
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 23:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Aniruddha_Ch for your kind words.
Honestly, I'm a layman in terms of technology and engines.

Hope that helps.
I also recommend you to read the following links for more information.
Thank you for sharing links. Do keep posted regarding your experience with 1.9D.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 00:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
I use Mobil Delvac MX 20W40. It's a mineral oil and retains it characteristics even at 7500kms. I have never changed oil before 7500 kms. I do not have any thread as such but I shall follow your thread and will try to answer your queries on this thread. Please ask in case you need any clarifications. OEM Spare Parts are available so do not use substandard parts. I am from Hyderabad and in case you need any help with spares please PM me.

Best Regards
Shiva
Thank You very much Shiva your kind offer to help. I shall surely ping you in times of need.

BTW, sorry for my silly question. The user manual specifically recommending SAE 15W40. But if you use Mobil 20W40, would there be any chance to harm the engine?
Old 5th December 2015, 00:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Dear Raaj
Hearty Congratulations on your acquisition and owning of a Fiat Palio 1.9D. It is a nice memory for me, since we met and your Palio is now well conditioned.
To add, Shiva (Cyberdoctorind) is a good friend of mine and also the co-founder of Fiat Classic Club of Hyderabad(FCCH), along with me. His knowledge on 1.9D is unparalleled and huge, compared to mine. So please reach out to him for any advise.
You should next plan the paint job we discussed, which will give the car a much awaited cosmetic uplift.
Im always available in Hyderabad for any further help. Best Wishes.
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 07:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You very much Shiva your kind offer to help. I shall surely ping you in times of need.

BTW, sorry for my silly question. The user manual specifically recommending SAE 15W40. But if you use Mobil 20W40, would there be any chance to harm the engine?
Sure please do. I apologise for the mistype, the engine oil is 15w40 and I use Mobil Delvac MX.

@Ram

Best Regards
Shiva
Old 5th December 2015, 08:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Sure please do. I apologise for the mistype, the engine oil is 15w40 and I use Mobil Delvac MX.

@Ram

Best Regards
Shiva
Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I shall use this Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 oil from the next service on wards.

BTW, Usually I drive 80-100 Kms speed. But, I tried once to test its maximum abilities and observed it doesn't go beyond 125 Km/hr. Just wanna know, would there be any speed lock or something else?
Old 5th December 2015, 09:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, Usually I drive 80-100 Kms speed. But, I tried once to test its maximum abilities and observed it doesn't go beyond 125 Km/hr. Just wanna know, would there be any speed lock or something else?
100 is the max i used to do. It's a proper old school IDI diesel, no turbo, with stroke > bore, so better use the low and mid range than let it scream.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 19:59   #39
BHPian

I parked my car at my house for three days and while taking the car out this evening, I've observed some oil settled on the floor (Rear bottom side of the car). Can somebody please tell me what's that and what could be the reason.

By the way, the car started normally and I see no problem while riding it.

Thank You in advance for your guidance.

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-oill.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-oil.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-oil2.jpg
Old 5th December 2015, 22:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I parked my car at my house for three days and while taking the car out this evening, I've observed some oil settled on the floor (Rear bottom side of the car). Can somebody please tell me what's that and what could be the reason.
What is the level of the Brake fluid in the reservoir? Is it at the same level ?

If it's oil check the brake lines for leakages at the rear.

if it's diesel instead of oil, check the connections between the filler cap pipe to the tank inlet / damages to the tank itself and repairs done to it with mseal etc

Best Regards
Shiva
Old 6th December 2015, 08:05   #41
BHPian

Thank You Shiva.

I checked brake fluid level and its ok.

Seems something hit in the bottom. please see the picks below.

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-1.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-2.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-3.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-4.jpg
Old 15th December 2015, 00:57   #42
BHPian

Fuel Tank Repair & Boot Lamp Installation

Located the exact place of leakage on Fuel Tank. As a temporary method, I pasted M-Seal over it. Thanks to Cyberdoctorind for the helping tips.

Also Top upped the Brake/Clutch fluid, Power Steering Oil and Installed the Boot Lamp.

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-01.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-02.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-02a.jpg

Installation Of Boot Lamp:
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-03.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-04.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-05.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-06.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-07.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-08.jpg

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-09.jpg

Last edited by Wildy : 15th December 2015 at 01:00.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 08:06   #43
BHPian

Thank You friends for your kind words, support and appreciation.

A year passed. The car going through lot of troubles but am trying hard to keep it alive.

- AC is not working (No matter what electrician do, it simply doesn't workout). In hot weather, its simply unbearable to ride in it.
- Diesel Tank is leaking (M-Seal doesn't work nor it can be welded)
- Hose pipes blown (Thankfully, local mechanic fixed)
- Rattles
- Suspension getting weaker
- ECU Errors like Engine Light
and Many more.

Still, iam liking this car for other positives.

- It's the car that saved me when I was in financial and personal crisis. It worked like a charm for the family.
- Still the riding is superb. Easily Ride above 120 kms speed with great handling and with inspiring brakes and build quality
- Superb Mileage besides the diesel tank leakage
- Great Steering feedback
- Awesome Music System I've installed

Iam planning to buy Urban Cross T-Jet in near soon. But my family vetoed against selling or exchanging this car with new one. Because, it has served us when we were in crisis. Me too getting sentimental about it. So, I shall keep it even if I get the new car.

I'm planning to get her good treatment in the coming days, after getting the new car.

I might plan as below.
- ECU Reset
- AC Repair
- Fixing Diesel tank or buying a new tank
- New Suspension
- New Seat Covers, Floor Mats & Carpet
- If it sustains for a couple of years, full body paint too.

As of Now, ODO is, 103857 Kms. So, I traveled almost 17,000 kms in it since I purchased it in October 2015..

Here it goes mandatory snap.

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-odo.jpg
Wildy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:51   #44
BHPian

Tyre & Rims Upgrade

Lately, my car tyres and rims got so many problems. So, thought of changing them. It's profile was 185/70/R13.

I ordered 14" Punto Rims and Punto Wheel Caps along with Fiat Gunmetal Key Chain in 99rpm.com and they delivered the goods in less than four days. Fantastic service really.

Next, drove to local tyreshop and purchased four Michelin XM2 tyres of 185/65/R14. Initially, I thought they could be little bigger for my Palio D. But thankfully, they are perfect fit.

Breakup:
Punto 14" Rims : Rs. 3196 (Each @ 799)
Punto 14" Wheel Caps (Emotion Edition) : Rs. 1496 (Each @ 374)
16 Bolts : Rs. 1328 (Each @ 83 )
Gun Metal Fiat Keychain : Rs. 199
Shipping & Handling charges : Rs. 671

Michelin XM2 (185/65/R14) - 4 : Rs. 19,800 (Each @ 4950)
Alignment, Wheel Balancing & Air Valves : Rs. 950
-------------------------
Total Damage Rs. 27640
-------------------------

Now, some pictures.

2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-1.jpg
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-2a.jpg
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-6.jpg
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-7.jpg
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-3.jpg
2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car-4.jpg
Wildy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 05:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Iam planning to buy Urban Cross T-Jet in near soon. But my family vetoed against selling or exchanging this car with new one. Because, it has served us when we were in crisis. Me too getting sentimental about it. So, I shall keep it even if I get the new car...
If the old car is not going to be driven much after getting the new car, that's a wastage. Plus, there is the insurance to be done every year and the life tax to be renewed after 15 years. Also, parts like battery & tyres would be damaged with lesser usage across time.

While I understand the sentiments, I'd suggest not to have 2 cars which serves the same purpose. Either get a complete work done on the Palio and keep it for another handful of years or just get rid of it instead of spending more. You might not even use this car once the new ride comes in and then you may lose out on the exchange bonus + re-sale part.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks