Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride to Glide: Maruti S-Cross 1.3 Zeta

Gifted a scratch with my own hands to my dear S-Cross.

I was turning into a parking at exact 90 degrees angle. I saw that I was inching closer on the LHS side to the pillar, so I slowed down to zero speed and thought I will make it now. But I touched the stupid conical barricade on the RHS front corner. In that small panic moment, instead of saving my LHS rear corner, I focused on the RHS front corner and ssscrrrrrrrratch !!!

The scratch is not much, but there is a tiny dent on the top of RHS rear wheel arch. Thank God the paint did not come off. Only saving grace is the white color. On any other darker shade, brown or blue, this scratch would have been very prominent. I am planning to do a DIY with the SCRATCH-OUT solution. I used to use it on my red Vista and it used to work like charm, not 100% but at least 70-80%.

Even though this is the 5th car at home, first scratch is still painful.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 17:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

My S-Cross has gone for its 2nd free service. The Odo reading stands at 5060 kms in 4 months.

Even though oil change is not done until 10,000 kms, I have asked the SA to do the following things:
  • Oil change
  • Oil Filter
  • Air Filter
  • Seat belt reminder intermittent behavior

Besides the seat belt reminder's unpredictable behavior, there are no complaints with the car. The car was picked up at 12 and will be delivered by 6-6:15 as promised. The estimated total cost would be around 3,000/-.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

The S-Cross came back with a non-functional roof light.

I escalated this to the Zonal GM of Sai Service and he immediately passed it on to the AGM of service center. They then sent their 'expert' technician to check the roof light. He came within an hour of the first call and checked things. He came with a Ciaz roof light to test if the functionality works or not.

He then told me that the light needs to be replaced. I am seriously disappointed with this incidence. First of all, there was no complaint about the roof light, so why was it even touched unnecessarily. Secondly, even if it was fiddled with, why should it conk off completely?

I have told the GM that I am now concerned about service quality of Sai Service. I am going to speak to Nexa customer care about this whole episode, so that they speak to the service team and make them aware that this is NEXA, damn it ! Maruti is known for its super reliable service quality and this is exactly opposite of that.

As promised by the GM, the light will be replaced before EOD today.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

The front roof light was replaced by the service guys just now on location. They said that easier to replace the entire unit rather than repairing. So now I have a brand new front roof light unit, which works as expected.

I have asked the GM for an explanation as to why the roof light should get conked off, when I had asked to change engine oil. Anyways, these guys worked hard to fix the issue, so I would give them some credit.
Old 20th April 2016, 19:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I have asked the GM for an explanation as to why the roof light should get conked off, when I had asked to change engine oil.
Why not give benefit of the doubt to them?! I don't think someone will play around with the roof lights purposely. Also, they have resolved it in super quick time.

Its always good to build a friendly relationship with these folks which will help you in the long run.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 11:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Why not give benefit of the doubt to them?!
Its always good to build a friendly relationship with these folks which will help you in the long run.
I do agree with you that I can give them a benefit of doubt. I will probably let go this time and still give them good rating for service. But, its important that they are aware and cautious about such flaws henceforth. I am thinking to discuss only at the regional GM level and not escalate it to Nexa Customer Care.

Besides this incidence, the car feels like 'knife through butter' now. Its as good as it was on day one, or probably even better now. So changing engine oil at 5000 kms interval, is really recommended, even though Maruti is not doing it as per their schedule.

Its been just two drives after the service, but I feel that overall FE is up by 10% or so already.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Bad bits:
* Engine noise beyond 100 kmph. During my two highway trips, I got a chance to stretch the legs of the S-Cross a bit. But the severe engine noise pulled me back and I continued driving at 80-90 kmps. Its not a deal breaker, but should have been handled well in a premium product.
What is the RPM reading when you are doing 100 in 5th gear?
Old 29th April 2016, 15:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
What is the RPM reading when you are doing 100 in 5th gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I am answering but Ajay can give more inputs as needed.

Front windshield as seen is a 3M protective film

Engine Rpms,

@ 100km/h it is 2000
@ 120km/h it is 2200

Have not tried beyond that, due to the road conditions
Mentioned a few posts ago
fash_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Mentioned a few posts ago
Yep. Saw that, thanks. I was just wanting to know what was the case for OP since his car is relatively new. I recently drove a TD car that had covered 30K and did not find any major engine noise creeping in at 2000RPM and 100Kmph. Trying to figure out whether a well run-in car will have lesser engine noise? Or is it the 1.6 engine makes lesser noise at this speed in top gear as compared to 1.3?
Old 10th May 2016, 14:56   #55
Suz

Quote:
I do agree with you that I can give them a benefit of doubt. I will probably let go this time and still give them good rating for service. But, its important that they are aware and cautious about such flaws henceforth. I am thinking to discuss only at the regional GM level and not escalate it to Nexa Customer Care.

Besides this incidence, the car feels like 'knife through butter' now. Its as good as it was on day one, or probably even better now. So changing engine oil at 5000 kms interval, is really recommended, even though Maruti is not doing it as per their schedule.

Its been just two drives after the service, but I feel that overall FE is up by 10% or so already.
Hi Ajay. Can you please let me know what is the Engine oil being used on your S-Cross ? I have given mine for the first service today and was thinking to get the engine oil changed, however the oil and filter change price came upto 3900 + 400. When inquired as to the reason my SA told me that they use Mobil 1 0W40 engine oil (which I checked online and found the price to hover around that mark). I have have seen a few people use mineral oil as well initially and then switch after the 10k mark. Some folks here on team-bhp use the 5W30 grade which costs about 2k. So would you please care to suggest as to which oil to use or let me know which one you are using and if you intend to stick to it. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Hi Ajay. Can you please let me know what is the Engine oil being used on your S-Cross ? I have given mine for the first service today and was thinking to get the engine oil changed, however the oil and filter change price came upto 3900 + 400. When inquired as to the reason my SA told me that they use Mobil 1 0W40 engine oil (which I checked online and found the price to hover around that mark). I have have seen a few people use mineral oil as well initially and then switch after the 10k mark. Some folks here on team-bhp use the 5W30 grade which costs about 2k. So would you please care to suggest as to which oil to use or let me know which one you are using and if you intend to stick to it. Thanks.
Sorry for a horribly delayed reply. I have stuck to what is mentioned in the manual so far. Here's recommended oil info from the SCross manual:

For D13A Diesel Engine model:

Be sure that the engine oil you use comes
under the quality classification of ACEA
A5/B5.
SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel
economy, and good starting in cold
weather.

For D16AA Diesel Engine model:

Be sure that the engine oil you use comes
under the quality classification of ACEA
C2.
SAE OW-30 is the best choice for good fuel
economy, and good start

Hope this helps.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Crossed 7k mark today. The thread has been dormant for various reasons. Top most reason is that my SCross is doing its job flawlessly, so nothing to report. For my usage pattern, the FE has settled to 16-17 kmpl for city drives.

It just brings smile to my face everytime I take the steering in hand. Honestly, I skipped one level and jumped quite high when I upgraded from Tata Vista to S-Cross. It was a 360 degrees change for me, in terms of every aspect of a car.

I need to get wheel alignment done soon, which has been pending for a while now.

Rest "Aaalll is welll" !
ajay_satpute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a 360 degrees change for me, in terms of every aspect of a car.
You mean a 180 degrees change?

Good to hear that your car is chugging along merrily!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 12:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
You mean a 180 degrees change?

Good to hear that your car is chugging along merrily!

Cheers,
Vikram
No Vikram. I meant 360 degrees only. 360 degree transformation term is used by these so called Gurus in their teachings. I don't follow any such Guru, but I do buy this concept to an extent.
Old 9th July 2016, 08:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while driving towards Nashik, I touched very high speeds on a brand new and completely empty stretch of road off Sangamner. I could not believe myself that the car is flying at this speed. Scross is very stable and rock solid even at this high speed. I could have gone even higher but held back myself.

However, the engine note was coarse and the NVH was at its highest at these speeds. Braking capability is outstanding. FE dropped by 1.3 kmpl instantly.

All in all, a superb experience.

Please note that there was a not a single soul or vehicle on this stretch of road. I do not support driving at speeds above 80 kmph in normal conditions.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th July 2016 at 13:40.

Most Viewed