Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 11:52   #31
BHPian

re: My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
15. Cruise Control
You mean Adaptive Cruise Control right? MRCC as they call it.
My 2.0 has it here, i think it would be standard on the 2.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
- A very useful feature is the vehicle proximity warning (I forget what exactly it is called). If you signal a left or right turn (to change lanes) and there is a car close to you on that side, a beep sounds. It also beeps when you are reversing out of a parking slot if there is a car or a pedestrian nearby.
Blind spot monitoring, while turning without an indicator there is an indication on the side mirrors which lights up but does not beep. With the indicators on, the mirror indication plus beeps.

It also has the Smart brake support system which has audio visual warnings and then applies the brake automatically to try and avoid an impending front end crash in case of no driver inputs are noticed. Have seen the audio visual warning several times, however noticed the brakes being applied automatically only once yet.
Old 21st July 2016, 07:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Time for the 9500 kms update:

The car will go in for its first 10k service very shortly so I thought it is good time for an update. The mechanical's have bedded in now and the car feels far smoother, revs quickly and is even more effortless to drive. Infact I am looking forward to the 10k service as with a fresh engine oil it is going to feel even smoother.

Coming back to the mechanical's again, the steering system is a revelation. This is by far the best electric power steering system I have come across in any car. It direct, full of feel (i dare say than even some hydraulic steering system, you have to drive it to believe it) and weighs in just like a hydraulic system. The only negative is that its slightly heavier than the other power steering system around but am I complaining? Hell no! I have also seen the launch video's of vehicle by Mazda and unlike launches by other manufacturers, they are more like phone launch events with explanation of engineering behind the product by their head engineer, David Coleman. Pretty refreshing I must say... here's one if you are interested.

Other things- love the Bose stereo even more than I used to. I look forward to doing journeys in the car just so that I can listen to my favourite tunes. I think a good audio system is the best investment you can make for your car given you love music and your car is not powered by a high strung v8,v10 or a v12 engine. The fidelity from the system for the bass and mid tones is pretty good and average for treble owing to the absence of dedicated tweeters. The best bit about the system is that I do not need to raise the volume to feel Bass. Even at very low volumes the bass is tight and punchy. The Mazda 6 has the exact same system plus two tweeters making it a total of 11 speakers.
https://globalpressroom.bose.com/us-...elease/view/44

The MZD connect multimedia system also deserves a mention. It may not be high on absolute features but is pretty easy to learn and navigate and fast too. I am also convinced by Mazda's implementation of enabling touch screen controls while the car is standing still and command controller plus individual buttons to access to home, music and navigation when on the move. I wish Mazda gave an option to enable touchscreen while on the move as well which could be really helpful when your passenger can or wants to input a gps location.

I have also come to appreciate little things in the car like the resolution and clarity from the reverse camera even under low light situations, the multimedia screen itself which is bright and saturated and sheer detail and clarity of the analogue tachometer dial.

Adaptive front lightning system is another nice feature since it makes driving on narrow turning roads in the night that much easier along with powerful bi-xenon headlamps. I also appreciate the iStop stop/start system as its activation depends on how much pressure you are putting on the brake pedal. It is also intelligent in the sense that if you have A/C running (unless it is running in ECO mode) or demister for the front windscreen on, it wont kick in, no matter how much pressure you put on the brake pedal.

The mileage has settled at around 12 kmpl for mostly city driving on normal 91 RON fuel. Pure highway drive still gives around 16 kmpl. I also fill it once a while with 95 or 98 RON fuel but the difference is imperceptible except for the placebo effect. It may have an effect during hot summer months given this is a very high compression petrol engine and will report the same when the summers are finally here.

The tyre noise remains a concern on corrugated Australian b-roads. I have read that the change of tyres from the stock Dunlops to better rubber takes care of the issue. Need to check that option out but its not a priority as its not a problem on most roads.

A reliable no non sense Japanese car which for a change also know hows to have fun and has a character. The looks, stance and the overall proportions continue impress me to this day and I admire it every time I park it after a drive. Everytime

Some pictures of the car to compensate for the horrible one's in opening post of the thread.

My favourite angle of the car
My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-best-angle.jpg

Three quarter view
My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-tbhp-3-quarter.jpg

My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-img_3480.jpg

My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-img_3333u.jpg

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st July 2016 at 07:20.
extreme_torque is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Taking the liberty of posting another video by Mazda's chief engineer this time explaining the electric power steering system.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 15:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
.....The average fuel mileage so far has been 8.3 litre per 100 kms or approximately 12 kmpl. Not bad for a 2.5 litre 185 bhp engine with an automatic gearbox. Whats more impressive is that most of the mileage is within the city including lots of idling and short distance driving. .......

Quote:
...... With a mix of highway plus twisty ocean lined road plus some very steep sections with A/C on, the car returned a respectable 16+ kmpl! Pretty good for a 2.5 litre petrol with an Automatic transmission won't you say.....
Thats a very good fuel efficiency you are getting considering the size of the engine!!!

My i30 wagon has only 1.6L petrol engine. FE hovers between 9.8 to 10 litre per 100km in the city. And highway it was around 8 litre per 100km!!!
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 01:58   #35

I agree with all the comments on Mazda being fun and frugal at the same time.
I own a CX-5 and can vouch for that. Its mileage is at par with competitors with turbos and CVTs without any fancy fuel efficiency tricks.
I think Mazda3 can be a very good competition to Civic, Elantra and Cruze if launched with a partner with a large dealer network.
Mazda as a brand has maintained an air about upmarket feeling and definitely has fun cars in terms of driving pleasure without being really fast. Their reliability has also been good. I think, Mazda needs a partner with sales/marketing muscles and to me, Tata Motors looks like a perfect fit. Tata needs great cars in their showroom to change the perception of Tata being only Indica-maker and Mazda needs a partner which can take their cars to masses.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
A reliable no non sense Japanese car which for a change also know hows to have fun and has a character.
Great to see you are enjoying your Mazda3. Please keep updating the thread.

I just paid deposit for a Mazda 6 Sport in Machine grey. Getting the car in two weeks, exciting times ahead.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

The car has been sold after 41k kms of blissful, very enjoyable ownership of almost 2 years. The car never missed a beat, no problems with it what so ever. Mazda 3's combination of performance, economy, handling and quality is very hard to beat no wonder then its the largest selling car in its class in Australia. There is still no car in its class which has such breadth of talents and character and quality for the price. Its a default answer for anyone wanting to buy his first car, whether an enthusiast or an everyday driver.

The car has been replaced by another Japanese brand which is unknown to most Indians and also Australians. This will perhaps be my last IC engined car before electric cars start to rule the world therefore I did not want a run of the mill german entry luxury sedan. Will start an ownership thread soon.

Hint: Its not a Lexus

Last edited by extreme_torque : 14th October 2017 at 11:16.
Old 14th October 2017, 13:11   #38

@Extreme_torque: from a long term ownership of the Protégé in the US from the late 90's, I can relate to your thoughts on the Mazda.

Am guessing your new ride is likely a Daihatsu as the Subaru or Infiniti, while not as popular in India, are well known in AU. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
mux_usa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 13:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The car has been sold after 41k kms of blissful, very enjoyable ownership of almost 2 years. The car never missed a beat, no problems with it what so ever. Mazda 3's combination of performance, economy, handling and quality is very hard to beat no wonder then its the largest selling car in its class in Australia. There is still no car in its class which has such breadth of talents and character and quality for the price. Its a default answer for anyone wanting to buy his first car, whether an enthusiast or an everyday driver.

The car has been replaced by another Japanese brand which is unknown to most Indians and also Australians. This will perhaps be my last IC engined car before electric cars start to rule the world therefore I did not want a run of the mill german entry luxury sedan. Will start an ownership thread soon.

I was gonna congratulate you on the car you drop this
Here in the UAE, I'm out scouting for a new car and I'm mighty confused. All I see are Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas and people suggesting to buy them based on resale.
Well, there are people here who bought Mazda CX-9, CX-5 and 6. I've driven them and can relate to what you meant by the driving feel. It's as if I'm driving my Punto.

So I thought why not search in our own T-bhp and voila I found your thread. I was considering going for the 6 with the 2.5L and 184hp. The Mazda3 R sedan comes with only the 2L with 155hp and 6-speed auto.

Thanks a lot for the thread. It surely helped push me in the right direction.

As for your new ride, if it's not a Lexux, is it an Infiniti?
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 23:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the new car. Hope you would have got an Infiniti Q50 . Because Q50 is the only premium Japanese car which can take on any German entry level sedan head to head.
Old 8th November 2017, 03:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I was gonna congratulate you on the car you drop this
Here in the UAE, I'm out scouting for a new car and I'm mighty confused. All I see are Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas and people suggesting to buy them based on resale.
Well, there are people here who bought Mazda CX-9, CX-5 and 6. I've driven them and can relate to what you meant by the driving feel. It's as if I'm driving my Punto.

So I thought why not search in our own T-bhp and voila I found your thread. I was considering going for the 6 with the 2.5L and 184hp. The Mazda3 R sedan comes with only the 2L with 155hp and 6-speed auto.

Thanks a lot for the thread. It surely helped push me in the right direction.

As for your new ride, if it's not a Lexux, is it an Infiniti?
To put it simply, Mazda does not have one bad car in their entire portfolio. You cannot go wrong with any of their cars. Since I am a sedan guy, I would suggest you to go for the Mazda 6 primarily because of the 2.5 litre engine. The difference in fuel efficiency between the 2.0 and 2.5 is pretty negligible but the 2.5 feels a whole lot faster and effortless. If you can afford it, the new CX-9 is pretty fantastic too.

I am suprised that they do not sell the 2.5 Mazda 3. It was a perfect car for me as I am not very tall and it was just the right size and warmishly fast (read 0 to 100 in 7.7 seconds). The 6 being bigger and heavier will be slightly slower. Happy hunting
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 03:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Congrats on the new car. Hope you would have got an Infiniti Q50 . Because Q50 is the only premium Japanese car which can take on any German entry level sedan head to head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mux_usa View Post
@Extreme_torque: from a long term ownership of the Protégé in the US from the late 90's, I can relate to your thoughts on the Mazda.

Am guessing your new ride is likely a Daihatsu as the Subaru or Infiniti, while not as popular in India, are well known in AU. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Yes it is indeed an Infiniti Q50. I did not want a run of the mill BMW or Merc and I do not like the grey color scheme on every Audi interior.
Sneak peek
My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-imag0112.jpg
extreme_torque is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 22:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
To put it simply, Mazda does not have one bad car in their entire portfolio. You cannot go wrong with any of their cars. Since I am a sedan guy, I would suggest you to go for the Mazda 6 primarily because of the 2.5 litre engine. The difference in fuel efficiency between the 2.0 and 2.5 is pretty negligible but the 2.5 feels a whole lot faster and effortless. If you can afford it, the new CX-9 is pretty fantastic too.
Mazda6 is really good option with good reliability. It is spacious and handles well for a FWD sedan. Being in Middle east you need not worry about fuel efficiency at all . Don't fall to this trap of the resale value like me . You will not loose much if you are planning to keep your car for more than 3 years in Middle east. Just go with your heart.

Quote:
Yes it is indeed an Infiniti Q50. I did not want a run of the mill BMW or Merc and I do not like the grey color scheme on every Audi interior.
Sneak peek

Congrats on the Infiniti. Q50 is a wonderful car from Japanese stable which is sporty with its RWD and comparatively reliable than the Big 3 Germans. Which version you got? 2.0T or 3.0T?
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 09:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful review E_T. I missed out reading this. Have driven the 3 and its a nice car but, as you rightly said it's small in size and needs a little more grunt.

Also, congrats on the Infinity !!!

Quote:
+ 1

I'm a huge huge fan of the Mazda's and they are one of those niche car companies that is not really playing the volume game but, have a distinct brand image and is getting popular year after year.

Since their driving characteristics and handling abilities are almost always compared with BMW, It would be insulting to say that it's a poor man's BMW which some of the reviewers refer to.

Many reviews even peg them almost similar to a BMW and you would not notice it except for the badge on the front.

I have owned a brand new Mazda 6 Touring for little over a year in US and clocked very little (9000 miles) and had to sell it and return as my stint turned out to be a short one. And, it was an extremely pleasurable ownership and was completely trouble free.

While there have driven the CX5 and also the CX9 and found the CX5 more nimble and agile compared to CX9 primarily due to the overall dimensions of the car.

This is one car company that I follow with respect to new launches/refreshes etc. Not sure if you have seen the reviews of the 2017 all refreshed CX-5? It is a different animal altogether now with respect to the looks and cool tech they have added in GT model and now there is no reason why you should buy a 12-15 grand more expensive X3 unless purchase decision is all about the brand

In the US, they are normally in 2nd position with respect to ranking for all their popular models (3, 6, CX5, CX9) and first being as usual the Honda's which you may agree are boring cars to drive. Hence, I consider Mazda as #1....LOL!

Here is a pic of my ex-flame
Attached Thumbnails
My very own BumbleBee - 2015 Mazda 3 SP25 GT EDIT: Sold!-img_2767.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2017 at 08:51.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 10:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Congrats on the Infiniti. Q50 is a wonderful car from Japanese stable which is sporty with its RWD and comparatively reliable than the Big 3 Germans. Which version you got? 2.0T or 3.0T?
Oh how I wish it was the 3.0T but it was out of my budget. I wanted the 3.7 V6 + Hybrid which does 0-100 in 5.1 seconds and has pretty decent economy too but the bootspace was a deal breaker because of the placement of batteries and the fact that this is going to be the only car in the household. Its almost half the size of a normal Q50 and since the opening of the boot itself is very small, the boot was not good for much.

The 2.0T is refined but does not feel as fast as the numbers suggest (around 210 bhp and 340nm torque) so got the 2.2d with the same engine as the Mercedes C class. Its a twin turbo 2142cc unit with 170 bhp and 400nm of torque. Piggyback performance chips can easily take it up to 200+ bhp and 450nm of torque which I plan to do at some point in time. What also helped the cause was that I got a much better deal with the diesel and it came in the color that I liked

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th November 2017 at 10:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks