Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 17:15   #151
BHPian

re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I actually have a doubt regarding the engine protection that is provided in the S-Cross 1.6. I thought there is a metal sheet covering the bottom of the engine bay completely something that the DDiS 200 did not have. Even the Team BHP review said that the floor cannot be seen through the engine bay. When I was doing the PDI, I saw some open area below the engine. RM said, it was necessary for the air flow, etc. Even though that seemed logical, I was confused by the conflict between what I saw and what is mentioned in the reviews. Can you please clarify?
You mean the DDiS 200 always had this opening in the engine floor? I've seen this opening in the engine floor through the bonnet of the car and it was a little disturbing for me. You think this might be a problem in the rains? I live in a place where we have heavy showers during the rainy season. The RM sought to allay my fears, saying that such an opening is normal (and helps in ease of servicing), but I still have my fears.
Old 15th February 2016, 14:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Mi10, can you please tell me the engine oil quantity required the 1.6?
I am yet to get to the stage of engine oil change, will sure update you post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I actually have a doubt regarding the engine protection that is provided in the S-Cross 1.6. I thought there is a metal sheet covering the bottom of the engine bay completely something that the DDiS 200 did not have. Even the Team BHP review said that the floor cannot be seen through the engine bay. When I was doing the PDI, I saw some open area below the engine. RM said, it was necessary for the air flow, etc. Even though that seemed logical, I was confused by the conflict between what I saw and what is mentioned in the reviews. Can you please clarify?
Thanks and Many congrats on your S-Cross. I haven't observed complete metal covering beneath the engine bay, however it is quite well protected on more sides. i will try to get some pics whenever i have access to a Hydraulic lift
Mi10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 15:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

Interlude | First Service Update

Day 72 (Thu, 11th Feb 2016)

So finally, the much awaited (thanks to the overfilled service centers) First service came. All Maruti service centers are completely running 250% Capacity due to the havoc caused by Chennai Floods. So after requesting for first service in 27th Jan, i got the appointment on Feb 11 - This because of the air of premium'ness surrounding Nexa.

Just to give you a comparison of the premium'ness i am enjoying, My father in law who brought an Alto the same day i took delivery of the S Cross, wanted his First service on Jan 28th. He was given an revised first service date of Feb 28th

However, i am not really a heartless trash who will complain for anything and everything. Auto Industry took a big brunt during this flood and all service centers irrespective of brands are overworking to clear out the filled up service centers. So due credit for all those noble souls overworking to keep people on their wheels.

However there are some basic stuff that needs to be addressed. For starters, my First service was done in the alley leading to the workshop - yep, you read it right. Alley-leading-to-the-workshop and not inside the workshop. But i guess the job around first service is more of inspection than anything, so i don't think there would be any difference in the quality of work, had they took my car inside the workshop. The 'job' included:
Greasing / Lubrication of moving parts - Rotors, Gear Shift, Door Hinges
Engine Oil check - However it was at correct level hence top up wasn't needed
Coolant, Brake Fluid Check - Correct levels
Wiper Washer - Was refilled
Electrical and Electronics - Visual check

I was also told that water-wash won't be possible in first service, since the service facility was full. I could have easily pushed for one, but looking at the service center, i though my S Cross would be safe without a water wash

Overall time taken: 25 Min

My RM apologized for the same and said in next 2 months there will be a separate service facility for Nexa. He said, the work is on the anvil for quite some time and the future surely will be much better.

Last edited by ampere : 7th March 2016 at 14:21. Reason: Fixed Typo
Mi10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:29   #154
Senior - BHPian

Interlude | S Cross 360

Shot these couple of weeks back, but didn't get time to post. Thanks to my Friends - Keerthi, Yogesh, Prithivi, Lv Ramanan

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_2798-copy.jpg
Seriously miss the Projector HL - it would have added a lot more appeal to the package

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_2714-copy.jpg
The Bland Front looks prominent in this stance

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-dsc_0495-copy2.jpg
One of the better shots where the S Cross looks butch (to an extent)

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_2780-copy.jpg
My attempt at Panning shot - Highlight is the all wheel discs

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-panning_maksed.jpg
Panning shot by semi pro - Wider tyres compliment the looks pretty well

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-dsc_4317_8_9_tonemapped-copy.jpg
Probably the Best shot i have seen for an S Cross - Notice the lighting is at the back of the object - Due Credits: Keerthi
Mi10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 23:05   #155
BHPian

Hey. Could use your help since I've been diving a German and been very satisfied. Difficult to look past them. Need your views from experience of moving back from a German.

Been driving a polo and for past 4 years a Vento automatic. I like driving fast, do not care much for features and the basics of the car matter more like the chassis, engine , suspension, brakes, etc. You could always wrap seats or change ICUs. Love the strong build of Vento that it remains stable at serious speeds, minimalistic rattling in cabin and the good parts you realise when you live with the car.

Problem at hand being that the next is a Jetta which is 24 lacs plus and buying a Vento again may not make a lot of sense. I would rather be comfortable in a budget of 13-15 lacs at best and not want to extend beyond.

having driven an auto box, is a requirement unless I retain the Vento auto and buy another manual. Though not the preferred option.

This has got me looking around and closest match is creta auto sans the brand and it being a Korean. I haven't enjoyed any hyundais yet. Was reading the long term review of auto car India on s cross and got me thinking.

Since you've moved from rapid to s cross, pls help throw some light on your position before buying the car or how strong was your connect with the Germans, your experience so far and any regrets, afterthoughts.

Would like to know on build quality, rattling, high speed performance, cornering at speeds, etc. Is it really an SUV and can it be used for a little adventurous trips up north or not. Would I have to think twice before parking it off the road where some clearance may also be needed. Drop to school in mornings may benefit from a vehicle with high GC.

request your views on ownership and shift from German to japs.
Old 22nd February 2016, 06:20   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Hey. Could use your help since I've been diving a German and been very satisfied. Difficult to look past them. Need your views from experience of moving back from a German.

Been driving a polo and for past 4 years a Vento automatic. I like driving fast, do not care much for features and the basics of the car matter more like the chassis, engine , suspension, brakes, etc. You could always wrap seats or change ICUs. Love the strong build of Vento that it remains stable at serious speeds, minimalistic rattling in cabin and the good parts you realise when you live with the car.

Problem at hand being that the next is a Jetta which is 24 lacs plus and buying a Vento again may not make a lot of sense. I would rather be comfortable in a budget of 13-15 lacs at best and not want to extend beyond.

having driven an auto box, is a requirement unless I retain the Vento auto and buy another manual. Though not the preferred option.

This has got me looking around and closest match is creta auto sans the brand and it being a Korean. I haven't enjoyed any hyundais yet. Was reading the long term review of auto car India on s cross and got me thinking.

Since you've moved from rapid to s cross, pls help throw some light on your position before buying the car or how strong was your connect with the Germans, your experience so far and any regrets, afterthoughts.

Would like to know on build quality, rattling, high speed performance, cornering at speeds, etc. Is it really an SUV and can it be used for a little adventurous trips up north or not. Would I have to think twice before parking it off the road where some clearance may also be needed. Drop to school in mornings may benefit from a vehicle with high GC.

request your views on ownership and shift from German to japs.
Not sure if you read my review in first page - because it exactly is about the predicament i faced after losing my rapid and what made me choose this car.

For Vento / Rapid:
  • Build Quality, Fit and Finish
  • Paint Quality
  • Superb Gearboxes - Manual and DSG
  • Steering Feedback
  • Boot Space

For Scross 1.6:
  • Interior Space and Ergonomics
  • Large Car with Big GC (over the former)
  • Ride Quality
  • more Reliable and cheaper to own
  • Reasonable Off-road potential

Even-Steven:
  • Handling & Dynamics
  • Braking
  • Power

S Cross is a fast family mover, may not suit someone with who just wants to focus purely on driving experience - A Vento / Rapid is good at that. S Cross is also more practical, Reliable and easy to live on our roads. It packs decent ride height and still manages to drive like a Hatch - almost! The Rear seat is very comfortable and spacious which makes it ideal for moving family.

I have enough bad experiences with Skoda that i would never look at it again, unless there is a compelling reason for it (Read Octy 1.8 TSI )

Ideally, i need to suggest someone from scratch to build a garage of two cars it will most likely be :
S Cross 1.6 - for Family touring and Highways
Polo 1.2 TSI - For city commute and occasional madness
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:22   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Mi10,
Do you know the ECU and Turbo make for S Cross 1.6?S Cross 1.6 gets fully imported engine and gearbox, Right?
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Mi10,
Do you know the ECU and Turbo make for S Cross 1.6?S Cross 1.6 gets fully imported engine and gearbox, Right?
As per review the turbo is made by Garett.
Pic taken from the official review thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-garett-turbo.jpg  

rakesh_r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:31   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mi10,
For the 1.6 - the Engine, GB, ECU all imported.
ECU is from Bosch
Turbo is a Garett VGT
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

Interlude | Mind vs Mind (round 1)

Day 81 (Sat, 20th Feb 2016)

With 1460 kms on the Odo, no time to even change seat covers, or tint glasses I was leaning out of our portico to see my S Cross standing staring at me. The day before I was informed that Code6 team is visiting Chennai to remap few cars! From that moment, my mind was oscillating like the pendulum of the Big ben. Long, Strong and steady oscillations between the two ends:

Left end - To Remap now <------------> Right end - Wait few more days.

One side of the brain questioned about the timing of a remap. “I mean it’s a 43 day old baby, why unfurl the cover now ? Why don’t you run in for couple of thousand Kms before taking the plunge, there is no hurry whatsoever, right ?” For a second, the saint, the monk, the god, and the god particle inside me took over. What he says is right, what kind of a special fool would open up a brand new car, you just covered 100 kms post the first service. Did you think about the parts availability for this car if anything goes awry ? Do not be a fool again and again and again.

The other side of the brain, played the devil’s advocate, (actually, you can knock of the advocate) and said “it doesn’t matter when one want to do the remap, what matters of are you convinced about Remapping this car?" Oh yeah, of course, i am convinced, that the reason i put in a 17" Rubber and matching... "hold on!. Just think about it! Who are you fooling, mi10? yourself ?The Act of doing something right now is the very act of a man in full control, Good or Evil depends on what that something is made off. It is the ultimate destiny of the car to get remapped, pushing it to a later date is not called pragmatism; it is called procrastination ” Ooofff that was really..err..trying hard to motivate, but then i have to admit I was a bit floored. I mean, that’s really a nice way to look at things!

The Mind is one tricky brat. Half the time it gives in to the indulgence and then tries to put the blame on the heart! Before the Devil mind could lose control, I picked up my phone and dialed the call. The ring went on and on and on, 15 seconds seemed like an eternity, with one sudden click, a Faint, but well known voice traversed though my phone speaker, 'Hellllo..'

15 hours post that call, this happened

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag285301.jpeg
Smooch!

PS:Full details on remap coming soon

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th February 2016 at 13:25. Reason: changed month to Feb.
Mi10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:43   #161
BHPian

Finally! Good going @Mi10... can't wait to see/hear the transformation!

In my opinion, the earlier the better, because you get to enjoy the remap for a longer time!
quicksilver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interlude | Mind vs Mind (round 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
15 hours post that call, this happened

Full details on remap coming soon
Boy you really have your way with words Mi10 and looks like you have skipped your heart (beat) and meandered around your mind to get this.

It would have sounded a naive and an almost dumb question if it was any other car bro. But why a remap on a DDIS 320 with less than 2k on the ODO

Are you already "Bored" of that stonking performance on tap or is it like you did not want to experience anything else but a remap? Either ways, I think we may just be looking at or reading about the fastest S-Cross on the forum soon.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd February 2016 at 17:18.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:36   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats buddy!!
I guess this is the first 1.6 S Cross remapped. It should be making close to 150 bhp and 400 nm, I believe. That's a torque monster on road now
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:50   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats buddy!!
I guess this is the first 1.6 S Cross remapped. It should be making close to 150 bhp and 400 nm, I believe. That's a torque monster on road now
The Facebook page of code 6 says,
SCross stage1 tunes are available now. 118/255 for the 1.3 and 150/395 for the 1.6.

Just wonder how much it will cost

girish
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:15   #165
Senior - BHPian

Chapter 4: Modifications | Performance - Loving your Lust

It was already past 2 PM when Code6 car (a Tuned 500 BHP Evo X BTW) drove into the Drive Clean Garage. This is my choice of detailing center for last 3 years!
More on this below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...n-chennai.html

There were list of cars waiting – Ecosport, Verna, Swift, Polo GTD, and of course the new kid in the block – S Cross. Since I was too eager and running around all over the place, the rest of the members decided to let my car get the remap first.

Of course, Code 6 did caution me upfront in our call that this is the first 1.6 they are doing and hence, there please give some leverage for delays. But I never expected the delay will be in something this simple. The next 15 minutes was spent for 8 people trying to find the ECU in Scross. (Yeah! You can laugh at it, we too did!). We looked at the engine bay. Engine, Turbo, Battery, Airbox, fuse box, Hoses, Alternator, Fan, Intercooler, plumbing, but where is the ECU? Call to Sales Reps, proved futile, as they were all saying the location for S Cross 1.3 (which is near the Battery). We then opened the glove box, looked under the steering column not there! While we were thinking, what else to open, suddenly heard a wild scream (actually like a sound of victory). One gentlemen said he saw something like an ECU . So we moved out the wipers, the plastic slits between the Bonnet and the Windshield to find this neatly tucked in.

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag283801.jpeg
Next time when someone asks about your S Cross 1.6 ECU, don't forget to thank mi10

We took the ECU out, since it required to be bench flashed. Most people think remap is for more power, while more power is certainly one of the aspects, it definitely is not the only aspect. A Car tuner is like a Doctor or your Lawyer – a certain amount of chemistry and physics need to be shared to first understand and then be understood. I believe in this and it has helped me in a great way many times.

While we sat for discussing the tune, we both understood this is a car for which the map needs to developed from Scratch. Hence, one cannot just flash something and go away with it. It needs to be monitored, customized and adapted (by the ECU). I went with the Generic tune Code 6 had on offer (145 HP / 380 Nm). Of course these numbers mean nothing to me, since I go by real time drivability and tested timings more than generic peak figures. Nevertheless, I am stating these numbers just to give you guys an idea of comparo when we put her on the Dyno soon.

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag283901.jpeg
Made in Hungary! Good Job Suzuki

These new gen Bosch ECU need to be opened every time you flash a new map. Imagine something as fragile and significant as an ECU, will need to be opened, flashed, closed properly and fit back again for every iteration of a map!! It sounded painful, scary and irritating (it’s a mundane job, na). So Sajan came up with some XYJDYX chip which is supposed to sit on top of the master chip and enable flashing via OBD. That sounded a lot better. However getting this new chip and soldering it on the main board, sounded scary again. What if we manage to brick the ECU, my mind was already thinking on availability of an imported ECU for a car that was in the market for last 5 months and has sold probably 2k units!!

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag284101.jpeg
ECU, stripped, err... opened

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag284701.jpeg
The XYJDYX chip - WIP, wires were tucked properly before sealing the ECU

But Sajan displayed, superb diligence, patience (I talk like a chatter box when I am anxious) in getting this chip fixed. With nervous hands and shaking limbs, we connected the ECU back, Connected the battery. I told my friend to start it as I was too shaky! The Start-Stop button, and his finger coming together in slow motion, in one swift click, he pressed, clack—tuk--chk--Brrrrrrrrrr, the engine roared. Whoa ! I left the breath !

I took her out for a short spin, the car surely felt more powerful, especially between 1600-3000 rpm. I liked the Third gear, which due to the improved low end response, almost acts like a Booster button. Slot in third and plunge your feet, oooff it is hard to describe acceleration, how does one explain acceleration? In numbers! But I have no numbers to showcase! Due to lack of time, lack of testing equipment and inability to test comprehensively, we decided to run this map for 2-3 weeks. So that I will understand the map better and the suggest improvement areas, so that we can work on iteration of this map. Of course, when we finalize the map, I will be giving you Dyno reports, 0-100 timings and anything else we could objectively measure.

I am very passionate about my cars, the way I drive, I like to get all nitty-gritties the way I like, and that’s how my beloved, Late Penguin was. I would have flashed at least 17 maps over a period of 6 months before finalizing on the one I wanted – But that is just me.

March is all set to become the month of madness! Stay tuned

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-imag284901.jpeg
The Odo, when it was ra..remapped

PS: I don't know the actual name of the XYJDYX chip

Last edited by Mi10 : 22nd February 2016 at 19:20.
Mi10 is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks