Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2016, 18:53   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Second Service - Alternator Failure!

With almost 10.5K kms on the ODO I decided to give the dwarf for 2nd service today. Booked an appointment, drive in at 9.30 am and by 11 am engine oil, transmission oil & differential oil has been replaced. Brake pads were cleaned and brakes checked and the HVAC mesh filter was cleaned. Things were going fine and I was hopping to get out early for a change. (India Garrage needs to be commended on how they manage to get work done with only half their work force working for half the time. Saving that rant for another day)

I wait till 2.30 and the car is still being wiped down and cleaned as there was quiet a long queue of vehicles at India garage today. Finally my SA walks over with the bill at 2.45 and I pay up and sit in the car to drive home. Start the car and the battery charging indicator remains on.

This was dejavu as on the day I took delivery, I had to drive to the service station to get the battery sensor replaced. Timeline after this:

2:45 - informed my SA that everything is not hunky dory & battery indicator is on

2:50 - tank is driven into the service bay

3:20 - I call my SA's mobile and yell at him to get someone to work on the problem

3:21 - SA, Jr SA, Jr tech come inspect wiring start car a few times

3:25 - Jr Tech & Jr SA open fuse box to check fuse but they are unable to decode which fuse is which

3:30 - Sr Tech walks in and decodes fuse layout, checks that all are ok and then asks Jr Tech to flash battery management system software

3:50 - Jr Tech tries flashing the software but fails (even though M&M has provided a step by step idiot proof guide to flash - I saw the pdf and it was simple)

4:00 - Sr Tech comes, flashes software - which takes 15 minutes to flash

4:15 - disconnect battery, start car and the battery indicator is still on. Use the mutimeter to check battery voltage when accelerator is engaged - stays at 11.9-12.1V. Conclusion - sensor is kaput

4:25 - Borrowed another sensor from somewhere and replaced. Start car and still see the battery indicator. Now the sh*t is getting very real.

4:35 - Sr Tech gets the laptop, checks all error codes - says that nothing there (I did not get a chance to see the error codes as there were just too many people crowding the laptop)

4:40 - Sr Tech goes through multiple tabs which really do not show much that is related to the battery or battery management system

5:00 - Uses the multimeter to check voltage at battery incoming fuse - 0.2-0.35V. Checks that the fuse is ok and decides that the Alternator is kaput

5:02 - Sr Tech walks to spares to check if spare is available

5:05 - Sr SA walks over and informs me that they are checking with other dealers for spare

5:20 - Sr SA confirms that spare not available in Bangalore and hence needs to come form Chennai/Hubli. Hence I can tentatively expect my car to be ready on Tuesday/Wednesday

And that is how the cookies crumbles

Questions:
1. How is it possible that the alternator that was working fine all these months suddenly went kaput without any warning.
- I have never observed any fluctuations in headlight/AC/Cabin lights over the last few weeks/months

2. Assuming that the alternator is OK - Big assumptions - what other logical reason could there be for this
- What has been eating me is the fuel filter replacement. In the TUV, its located just below the battery and next to the alternator and today while replacing the fuel filter, the tech could have damaged wiring
- Sr Tech & I did check the wiring from outside for any kind of physical damage but none was visible
- The above does not mean that no damage was done to wiring. There could still be some damage which we are unable to view from the top

What else am I missing?

P.S: This whole experience helped me understand that the current services centers are not equipped to fix modern day cars that rely heavily on chips & software. They can replace mechanical & electrical parts but the minute you ask then to analyze a problem, they are like fish out of water. They are willing to try a few easy things like flashing software, changing fuses etc but I think there are very few technicians who can really understand an error code and isolate the problem.
procrj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 21:12   #77
BHPian

As per latest information from some techs there is a recall for alternator or related assembly. So failing alternator could be a result of that only.
Old 22nd June 2016, 21:26   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Alternator replaced @ 10.5K kms

Got the Dwarf back today from the service center. The spare alternator was sourced from Hubli and landed in the workshop yesterday, which replaced the washed out alternator today. Drove the car for ~60km till the Tumkur toll and everything seems to be working fine.

Not very tall am I
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-s2_1_1.jpg

Apart from the alternator problem (which I squarely attribute to India Garages' incompetence and not to M&M), my tank has been steadily munching miles over the last few months. A couple of trips to the hills (ooty & sringeri) only underscored the fact that its a good vehicle to drive in twisties as I did not experience over/understeer and the car was rock solid. On the whole I am pretty happy with the way the dwarf has been performing and have had no major complaints.

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-s2_2_1.jpg

What I like
- There is sufficient power to cruise at 110-120 kmph and still overtake if required. Not enough power to shoot out like a rocket but just about enough to plan and move ahead
- Driving in city traffic is a breeze - have been doing 60 km every day in Bangalore traffic over the last 3 weeks and its has been pretty easy going. Not many cars/cabs/TTs cut you off and as long as you stick to a lane, its pretty peaceful driving (I pass through KR puram everyday and still dont get heckled much)
- Comfortable - at least the front seats are very comfortable and you dont feel the fatigue even after 1.5 hrs of bumper to bumper crawling or 8+ hours of long distance driving with some breaks in between. Even the rear seats seem pretty ok as I haven't heard my parents complain about them after trips

What I want
- Cruise control - would have been a great feature to have. Would have really reduced the strain on the right leg during those boring 4/6 lane drives
- A little more power - at times you do feel the urge to put pedal to the metal and in 5th gear at 100 kmph, the tank takes its own sweet time to get moving. 25 bhp more would have been sweet!
- Slightly better suspension - the tank handles pot holes & broken roads like a charm but when you are cruising at 100-110 kmph on good roads and you drive onto a small undulation, the suspension does not damp it enough and folks in the rear seats feel the same. Can be a little disconcerting if you are doing high speed on uneven roads

Few niggles/concerns as on date
1. Driver side window rattle at low speeds - this has actually reduced over time but does raise its head once in a while. No consistent pattern observed.
2. Driver and Passenger seat belts do not retract completely post use - after the ride (irrespective of duration of ride) the driver and passenger side seat-belts take their own sweet time to retract. IG did not have spares and have ordered the same. Will get them replaced ASAP.
3. Drop in coolant level - Coolant volume had dropped from Max to mid way over 7.5K kms of driving. Not a big concern but still a little worried as there does not seem to be a clear explanation on why this is happening.

FE - has been consistently hovering in the 13.5-14 kmpl mark. Doesn't matter if I am driving 60 km a day in Bangalore traffic or doing 110 kmph on open highways or driving at 50 kmph in the twisties, FE stays in the same range.

A few pics of the dwarf from recent Chikmagalur trip

Chasing the monsoon
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-s2_3.jpg
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-s2_4_1.jpg
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-s2_5.jpg
procrj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 08:30   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold

Just back from a 600 km dash to Madikeri. Had absolutely no issues with the tank (touchwood!) and observed the following:

1. Engine and drive is very smooth. In the past when I used to cruise at 110 kmph the engine would sound throaty once I cross the 110 kmph and my better half would ask me to take it easy. During this trip I was surprised to see the odo touch 120-125 kmph and still not make that throaty growl. Not sure if this is because of all the mechanicals working together or if its because of fresh lubes or if its a speedo error On the whole the machine feels right and good to drive

2. Gear shifts are a lot smoother especially 2nd to 1st gear which at times was a pain just before I gave the car to service

A couple of pics of the tank from the trip. Posted here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ka-tuv300.html

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-1dsc_2861.jpg

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-2img_20160626_102405054.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2016 at 10:02.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Just back from a 600 km dash to Madikeri. Had absolutely no issues with the tank (touchwood!) and observed the following:

1. Engine and drive is very smooth. In the past when I used to cruise at 110 kmph the engine would sound throaty once I cross the 110 kmph and my better half would ask me to take it easy. During this trip I was surprised to see the odo touch 120-125 kmph and still not make that throaty growl. Not sure if this is because of all the mechanicals working together or if its because of fresh lubes or if its a speedo error On the whole the machine feels right and good to drive

2. Gear shifts are a lot smoother especially 2nd to 1st gear which at times was a pain just before I gave the car to service
Sounds quite encouraging to know that you did one more flawless trip in your tank . The change in the engine/transmission behaviour can definitely be attributed to the change of important fluids esp the engine oil, transmission oil & differential oil. I am amazed to know he transmission oil replacement interval. First one is at mere 10K kms (probably to flush out the metal burr and other impurities), after that the replacement interval is 1,00,000 km (yes you read it right, one lakh kms). The change of transmission oil would have definitely helped smoothen the gear shifts

Quote:
A couple of pics of the tank from the trip. Posted the travelogue here
Can you change the link as it is pointing to the TBHP forum home page and not your travelogue? You may ask moderators to do so if it goes out of the 30 mins edit window. Correct url is mentioned below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ka-tuv300.html
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:28   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posted the travelogue here
mods - can you please update the thread link. Shows the right thread while editing but clicking on the link leads to the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: Second Service - Alternator Failure!

Quote:
With almost 10.5K kms on the ODO I decided to give the dwarf for 2nd service today. Booked an appointment, drive in at 9.30 am and by 11 am engine oil, transmission oil & differential oil has been replaced. Brake pads were cleaned and brakes checked and the HVAC mesh filter was cleaned.
Procrj, I forgot to ask you a couple of questions about your 10k service. My Orange tank will be lined up for the 10K service at the end of this month or early next month, hence would appreciate if you can answer these:
  • Did you opt for tyre rotation? In case yes, then did you do the rotation between the 4 alloy wheels or involved the steel rimmed spare wheel as well?
  • Did the technician clean the air filter because I was told that the air filter need not be cleaned and has to be directly replaced?
  • What was the total service cost and its break-up?
  • Can we get a one liter bottle of premixed coolant, MAHINDRA “MAXIMILE ULTRA COOL” from the service center so that if the level drops down below the max mark we can top it up ourselves.
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:57   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Did you opt for tyre rotation?
Planning to get WA/WB done outside as I dont trust MASS to get it right.
Quote:
In case yes, then did you do the rotation between the 4 alloy wheels or involved the steel rimmed spare wheel as well?
will be rotating wheels but only the 4 alloys. Dont plan to use the steel spare right now.
Quote:
Did the technician clean the air filter because I was told that the air filter need not be cleaned and has to be directly replaced?
Service manual does not mention air filter cleaning. Manual clearly says that air filter element needs to be replaced at 40K kms. if you do get your air filter cleaned, do post a few pics of its location. I was trying to figure out where this and I was able to locate a black plastic box which could contain the air filter but I am not sure if that is the air filter.

Manual mentions the mesh filter, which is part of the AC system. Even that was cleaned after I insisted and showed him the service manual. Its a 5 minute job - mesh filter is located behind the glove box & so you need to remove the plastic plugs/screws holding the glovebox lid together and then you can reach inside for the mesh filter.
Quote:
What was the total service cost and its break-up?
total service cost was 4K for replacement of oil filter, engine, transmission & differential oil along with some consumables. Bill attached for your reference. Apologies for the poor quality pic do click to view the full sized image.
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-serv2_bill.jpg

Do watch out for the AC cleaning & other usual additions. Tried to include 800 as AC cleaning and all I had to do is run my fingers along the AC vent fins and show the SA the thin film of dirt. He quietly asked the billing clerk to remove AC cleaning from the billable services.
Quote:
Can we get a one liter bottle of premixed coolant, MAHINDRA “MAXIMILE ULTRA COOL” from the service center so that if the level drops down below the max mark we can top it up ourselves
Yes we can. My SA gifted me a can which was 3/4th full and said "Just is case saar"

Last edited by procrj : 2nd July 2016 at 23:03.
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service manual does not mention air filter cleaning. Manual clearly says that air filter element needs to be replaced at 40K kms. if you do get your air filter cleaned, do post a few pics of its location. I was trying to figure out where this and I was able to locate a black plastic box which could contain the air filter but I am not sure if that is the air filter.
Thanks for your quick response buddy. The air filter cleaning is conspicuous by its absence. Strangely even I couldn't find any mention on that in the owners manual, but will surely keep an eye on it during my service.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:10   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

6 Months and 12,782 Kms done - Many many more to go

Just back from a 600 km drive into the mountains to Mallalli falls and the way the tank handled the drive had me grinning all through the weekend.

Travelogue here

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-1dsc_3103.jpg

My tank has been munching miles at a steady pace and after the 2nd service, I have had no issues. It gobbles up broken and potholed roads with ease and cruising at 110- 120 kmph on highways is easy. The engine seems to have opened up a little and the interiors seem to be screwed on tight. Apart from the driver side window, there are no other rattles or squeaks.

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-2dsc_3224.jpg

F.E: Has been steady at the 14 Kmpl mark irrespective of terrain, AC usage or traffic conditions.

Niggles
  • Driver side window rattles on and off at slow speeds
  • Front drive and passenger seat belt does not retract fully after use

As on date, I am a happy & comfortable man and dont have any problems with driving the tank in city traffic or on the highways.

Last edited by procrj : 25th July 2016 at 11:18.
Old 25th July 2016, 23:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 Months and 12,782 Kms done - Many many more to go

Just back from a 600 km drive into the mountains to Mallalli falls and the way the tank handled the drive had me grinning all through the weekend.
Got the notification about your travelogue while in office. Made it a point to through it before I go to bed today and here I am finishing it just now. Simply superb

Quote:
My tank has been munching miles at a steady pace and after the 2nd service, I have had no issues. It gobbles up broken and potholed roads with ease and cruising at 110- 120 kmph on highways is easy. The engine seems to have opened up a little and the interiors seem to be screwed on tight. Apart from the driver side window, there are no other rattles or squeaks.
The tank has been put together really well. The suspension is just perfect when the car if fully loaded. Why don't you eliminate the rattling window issue, once for all by replacing it under warranty? This could be a spoilsport in an otherwise perfect car

Quote:
F.E: Has been steady at the 14 Kmpl mark irrespective of terrain, AC usage or traffic conditions.
Same pinch, come highways or city's choc-a-bloc traffic, 14 is one such figure, which the TUV sticks to like feviquick.

Quote:
Niggles
  • Driver side window rattles on and off at slow speeds
  • Front drive and passenger seat belt does not retract fully after use
I think both these issues should get addressed under warranty.
Quote:
As on date, I am a happy & comfortable man and dont have any problems with driving the tank in city traffic or on the highways.
The TUV is at ease equally in the city and on the highway
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 15:03   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Another weekend - another drive. Only difference was that this time it was 50+ cars and some offbeat places to the boot. The tank performed well and ate up the bad roads with minimal fuss. There were some pretty steep climbs to the top of deveramane and tank easily climbed them. In fact going up was easier than coming down as while coming down the slopes, even in 1st gear - I had to use brakes to maintain speed over non existent surfaces.

more details here

Other side of shettihalli church
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d2.jpg

God's abode
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d6.jpg
procrj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 17:58   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear ended - thanks to a jaywalker

On the way back from work today, this happened

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-4rear3.jpg

Why did it happen, well it was all thanks to a cyclist who decided to stroll across the road cutting right through traffic. Check this out.

Well some blame is mine as well as I was focused on getting through behind the nissan sunny and not really watching what's in front. Even then, its pretty hard to actually sight the cyclist given the traffic in front.

The omni which rear ended me did not take the crash well. My guess is he was trying to squeeze in behind me before the truck cut him off. I braked hard and he had no option but to slam into me and come to a halt.
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-1omni1.jpg

I got the car to shoulder and got down to inspect damage. Was expecting my bumper to be a mess and the rear wheel cover to be broken in a few places given the impact that I felt. Was surprised to see only the twisted rear foot rest and scratches on the wheel cover.

The omni guy then started asking me for money to repair damage. He thought I might not be a local but once I started talking to him in kannada, he toned down. After 20 minutes of back & forth, I asked him to be thankful that I am not asking him to pay for damages and drove back home. His family in the car was pretty shaken and I feel for him as he will have to spend quiet a bit to get his car back to original shape.

Got back home, quick wipe down with ONR and the wheel cover was almost as good as new apart from a small kink and a couple of scratches. Was relieved as on the way back I was wondering if I should get the wheel cover vinly wrapped to prevent it from being an eyesore
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-2not-bad.jpg

Even the rear footrest I was able to straighten a little. Guess the long pending visit to MASS will happen this weekend to fix this and also the seat belt issue for which spares finally arrived.
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-3rear2.jpg
procrj is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 18:31   #89
BHPian

That's some tough performance by your TUV.

I feel thats the only reason why people opting for rear bull guard in India.

No matter how alert you are but on hard breaking at least one will hit in front no matter how long the queue is.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 22:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear ended - thanks to a jaywalker

Quote:
On the way back from work today, this happened
Hard luck over there procrj, some things just happen, we can't do much but be a mute spectator

Quote:
Why did it happen, well it was all thanks to a cyclist who decided to stroll across the road cutting right through traffic.
That moron is so carelessly strolling across such a busy road. Seems like he was on a suicide mission, but for the Sunny stopping in time, his mission was a failure

Quote:
Well some blame is mine as well as I was focused on getting through behind the nissan sunny and not really watching what's in front. Even then, its pretty hard to actually sight the cyclist given the traffic in front.
At least from the camera angle the head (of that headless fellow) was barely visible. I saw the last part of the clip at least 5 times, but was barely able to make out the moron crossing in front of the Sunny

Quote:
The omni which rear ended me did not take the crash well. My guess is he was trying to squeeze in behind me before the truck cut him off. I braked hard and he had no option but to slam into me and come to a halt.
Poor guy, he had to bear substantial damage. What else can be expected of a "tin can". Goes to prove how vulnerable are the Omnis of this world when caught in such accidents.

Quote:
Was surprised to see only the twisted rear foot rest and scratches on the wheel cover.
The tank has taken the impact really well, looks like the spare wheel cover plastic quality is really good
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks