Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 15:40   #46
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kols View Post
zee_bat: Is the TD still on offer?
If I'm unable to decide in next 1-2 weeks, I may have to request you for one. I live in Gurgaon and can travel to any part of NCR to experience the car. Many Thanks in advance!
----------
Kols
Hi Kols, send me a private message. You can take the TD and will see how the vento is a joke compared to the skoda in terms of performance.
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:38   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 3,952
Thanked: 4,059 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

How are you Alcantara interiors holding up? How do you keep them clean?

I nearly went for the then Zeal Edition when I bought my Octavia 1.8 TSi but was worried by reports that liquid spillages etc were a killer for such interiors. Have kids so half the time they eat/drink inside :-(.
itwasntme is offline  
Old 12th July 2019, 10:41   #48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi Kols, send me a private message.You can take the TD and will see how the vento is a joke compared to the skoda in terms of performance.
Being a newbie here, I can not "send" a PM! can you instead PM me your contact details and I will email/text you back?
To be on safer side, I would hold Vento in high respect, till the time I decide against buying one
Kols is offline  
Old 12th July 2019, 14:30   #49
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How are you Alcantara interiors holding up? How do you keep them clean?

I nearly went for the then Zeal Edition when I bought my Octavia 1.8 TSi but was worried by reports that liquid spillages etc were a killer for such interiors. Have kids so half the time they eat/drink inside :-(.

The interiors look newer looking than a beige octavia's of a friend's which is also 4 years old. However, I don't have kids haha, and mostly drive alone so the only real place i can compare is the driver's seat. Its never been dry cleaned or detailed, so the smoothness and the soft touch isnt as good as on the other seats. Despite water spilling a few times, the seat has held up well and Ill try to post some pics to show how new it still looks.
zee_bat is offline  
Old 11th August 2019, 22:09   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Hi Zee_bat,

Thank you for constantly updating this thread. I remember you mentioned that August 2019 is a major services for your car.
Kindly consider this as a reminder to upgrade the service experience and cost details.

Am still in huge dilemma to consider 1.4 TSI Style vs 1.8 TSI style variant, my only worry is DSG reliability being i want to maintain single car (I canít afford more for two cars).

Thank you again for all owners who been so far put best of your updates on this and other Octavia threads. Hope to write a cheque soon.
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 12th August 2019, 13:47   #51
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Hi Zee_bat,

Kindly consider this as a reminder to upgrade the service experience and cost details.
Hi, so the August service wasn't anything extraordinary as I had imagined. I had taken the car all the way to Badrinath from Delhi on one of the worst roads I have ever driven on, and expected something in the car to require major overhaul. However, to my pleasant surprise, the car had absolutely no issues with either the suspension, axle or any of the bushings. What did cost me a bit more than usual servicing was brake pads replacement. I have switched allegiance to Bosch Car service for all my cars, especially since its now out of warranty, so the total bill was for about 17k including brake pads for all 4 wheels. Which isnt bad imho.

I have said it before and will say it again, the manual transmission is a great experience to drive, and an absolute beauty on the highway. I think my experience has been thankfully problem free because of the manual over the DSG. The 1.8 is a better engine, suspension and feature laden car, but for our roads, I think the manual is a safer, cheaper option. sign that cheque already is all I can recommend.
zee_bat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 15:38   #52
BHPian
 
speedfreak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 107
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Hi zee_bat, thats a nice review you've put up of your car. Went through all 4 pages in a single go. I drive a 2015 vento highline petrol MT and i am still one of those guys who wants to stay from the DSG's. I am considering buying the octavia style 1.4 petrol probably next year when my vento completes 5 years. I am really spoilt by the build of the VAG cars so therefore not considering any other brand apart from VW or Skoda ( within 20 L budget ). I had recently driven the Octavia vRS and polo gt tsi as well and frankly the dsg didnt really wow me. I still prefer driving my vento MT anyday. Just wanted to know will this car be a good buy considering my requirement of a german petrol MT sedan ? Also how much FE can one expect, since my vento gives me around 9 with a heavy foot in city driving
speedfreak01 is offline  
Old 12th August 2019, 16:16   #53
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Just wanted to know will this car be a good buy considering my requirement of a german petrol MT sedan ? Also how much FE can one expect, since my vento gives me around 9 with a heavy foot in city driving
Hi, the fuel economy on highways can be upto 15.5 kmpl, in city, on average with heavy traffic is around 10.3 kmpl as per my long term data that the car shows.

I think its a great upgrade over the vento, absolute tank and the MT is great if you get to work around the turbo lag that comes sometimes. There is considerably more gear shifting as compared to a Verna 1.6 or Corolla 1.8 petrol, probably due to variable valve timing tech that they employ. However, the octy 1.4 has turbo, which trumps every little niggle imho.
zee_bat is offline  
Old 12th August 2019, 16:28   #54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 9
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi, the fuel economy on highways can be upto 15.5 kmpl, in city, on average with heavy traffic is around 10.3 kmpl as per my long term data that the car shows.
+1 to zee_bat's figures. Mine just completed 48k kms.
When with family, I am a sedate driver and I have seen 22 kmpl a couple of times. Usually, I see 15-17 kmpl on highway trips and 10-13 in Pune's city traffic.

When alone, with a heavy foot, I get around 10-12, which is pretty good I guess.
livezero is offline  
Old 21st August 2019, 15:22   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi friends, This forum has been ever so helpful to me in deciding which car to finally go for, but for this particular engine variant, there hardly seems to be a detailed personal review, hence, after much deliberation, I decided to start this thread to shed light on the tiny yet very versatile engine option from VW group- the 1.4 TSI in its 140bhp tune
Hi,

Very nice review of the Octavia 1.4 TSI. I have also heard that it is a much underrated car.

I wanted to know few aspects regarding the 1.4 TSI. I am planning to upgrade from the Honda Jazz, which I am presently owning, and purchase a car in the price range of 15 Lakh. I took a test drive of the Rapid and City and did not find them very impressive. The Octavia has always been a dream car for me. However, I was not considering it due to budgetary constraints. However, from the many reviews online, including that in Team-BHP, I got to know that the 1.4 TSI is a nice option to look at. The on-road price of the 1.4 TSI in Ahmedabad is nearly 18.7 Lakhs for the Ambition variant, which has a manual transmission. Unfortunately, the Skoda dealership in Ahmedabad is not having a TD vehicle for the 1.4 TSI. They have only the 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI and both DSG units.

I would like to know from you as to how good is the 1.4 TSI is in terms of responsiveness. I have read on one of the online forums that the car, owing to its lower displacement, may suffer on inclines/ghat sections when fully laden. How did you find the performance of the 1.4 TSI on hilly roads/inclines? Does it pull effortlessly or do we have to really strain the engine?

The only negative with the Jazz is its lower torque figure and it really struggles on inclines and during overtaking, which is really frustrating and compromising on safety as well (during overtaking manoeuvres). Please let me know your comments on these aspects for the Octavia 1.4 TSI.
Or is it better to consider the Ambition variant of the 2.0 TDI engine as there is no compromise on performance?

Regards,
Sumesh C R

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd August 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Spacing, extra dots, typos, language
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st August 2019, 15:46   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA/bangalore
Posts: 266
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Let me take the liberty of answering your question as I own a Laura 1.8 & have test driven the Octavia 1.4.
The 1.4 TSI with 2 X the torque of your Jazz plus some 25 odd Nm would have no problem in climbing hilly roads when loaded - provided you keep the boost using 1-2nd gears & generous throttle inputs.
Just don't expect it to climb like a diesel at near idle speeds.
On open roads whether inclined or not you'll be flying!
raihan is offline  
Old 21st August 2019, 15:46   #57
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Please let me know your comments on these aspects for the Octavia 1.4 TSI.
Or is it better to consider the Ambition variant of the 2TDI engine as there is no compromise on performance?
Hi, I took the car to Badrinath from Delhi, it had no issues pulling but we were at best on 3rd gear on the comparatively flat roads. 250NM torque is enough for any hill condition IMHO. However, the 1.4 is a turbo engine and has noticeable turbo lag when shifting gears. I get what you mean when you say there is a safety concern while overtaking, but you just get used to the gear ratios over time and change/shift accordingly. It does, however, have the lag which is felt at slow traffic/high gears and takes up-to 4-5 seconds for the turbo to kick in and then fly. I suggest taking a test drive. write to Skoda India for arranging one. I personally have and can live with the lag.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Quote fixed. Post fixed.
zee_bat is offline  
Old 21st August 2019, 15:52   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
satish_appasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,097
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

When comparing Octavia 1.4 TSI Style against Hyundai Elantra petrol SX(o), which car performs better with respect to power, fun to drive, drive-ability on highways, interior space, seating comfort? I currently drive a 2011 Cruze. I am planning to replace Cruze with another sedan in the same class.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 21st August 2019 at 15:54.
satish_appasani is offline  
Old 21st August 2019, 15:57   #59
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
When comparing Octavia 1.4 TSI Style against Hyundai Elantra petrol SX(o)
I cant compare a Skoda (VW) to a Hyundai. But if you'd like a worthy contender to the octy, its the civic, purely based on a Hyundai Verna I own, and a Creta Ive used over time.
zee_bat is offline  
Old 21st August 2019, 16:58   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Let me take the liberty of answering your question as I own a Laura 1.8 & have test driven the Octavia 1.4.
-----------------

Hi Raihan,

Thank you for addressing my query.
Yes, I understand that the torque figures of the 1.4 TSI is really impressive and it will definitely pull.
However, as you have also mentioned I suppose that one will need to apply the throttle very hard to draw and maintain the torque required on inclines.

The major reason for me to upgrade is the compromise on power and torque in Jazz. I would like the power and torque to come effortlessly on throttle without really straining the engine too hard.
From this point of view which one will you prefer - the Laura 1.8 TDI or the Octavia 1.4 TSI as an all-rounder?

Regards,
Sumesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi, I took the car to Badrinath from Delhi, it had no issues pulling but we were
Hi,

Trip from Delhi to Badrinath in a Octavia itself demonstrates its capability.
Thank you for answering my queries very precisely.
Yes, I will try to get a TD of the 1.4 TSI from Skoda.

Thanks,
Sumesh

Note from Support: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2019 at 20:14. Reason: Posts merged for spacing. Quotes fixed. Post edited. See note.
Sumesh_Jazz is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks