Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 11:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
No reviews on TBHP, no dealers keeping it for a test drive? Is the 1.4 TSI such a non-liked car? And why?
Couple of reasons I can think of:
1) The presence of the brilliant AT options – 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI.
2) When launched, I believe the 1.4TSI was only available in the barebone trim (almost like a corp. edition)

If I am in the market looking for a car in this segment, the 1.4TSI will be one strong contender. And its not short on power as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quietly TD an Audi A3 or A4 TFSI instead. It's the same 1.4 petrol engine . At least you'd get some idea rather than none!
Same petrol engine, but key difference will be that the Audi is with DSG gearbox
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 12:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If I am in the market looking for a car in this segment, the 1.4TSI will be one strong contender. And its not short on power as well.
Totally agree, sir! Which is exactly why it got my goat that there aren't any available for TD, even in Pune as confirmed by BHP'ian @neoonwheels above. Let's see what Skoda has to say after I've written to them. Thanks!

Cheers,
R_S
Old 30th March 2019, 13:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Considering the Octavia is one of my favourite cars in the market, I have been contemplating for long about which model to get.

I believe each and every model has its cons and reasons for not going for them:

1. L&K: Too many bells and whistles and in the long term might break and could be very costly to repair.

2. Ambient a.k.a 1.4 TSI: You are spending close to 20L and the car is pretty much bare bones. This is exactly what bothers me about the 1.4. Although it seems like a steal to get this one for around 19-20L, the car has features no more than my 2011 i20 Asta.

My verdict: If you can stretch AND if you are planning to keep the car for a very long time go for the Style variant. A bit of both worlds.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 17:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My verdict: If you can stretch AND if you are planning to keep the car for a very long time go for the Style variant. A bit of both worlds.
Exactly what I had in mind!

But then I went and took a TD of the 1.8 TSI (AT), and was completely floored! The sheer presence, composure and eagerness to rev really impressed me - and I've been driving the Manual City for last 7 years.

In fact today has been a day of test drives. Drove the Corolla VL CVT in the morning, and was pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be (or perhaps I went in with too low expectations). But it is not a patch or match on the 1.8 TSI, to be honest.

Btw I had written to Skoda India, and got a call back within 24 hours. The caller apologized for their inability, but was clear that I won't get a 1.4 TD piece anywhere. As per him, and I quote verbatim - "96% of our sales are automatics, so it doesn't make sense for our dealers to keep a TD vehicle. If you wish to take a feel of the Octavia, why don't you test an automatic one?"

Anyhow, if the 1.4 is anywhere as awesome as the AT TSI in terms of gear and presence, I would literally write a cheque then and there, with only a small doubt in my mind whether I should have gone for the safer but unexciting Corolla instead.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 30th March 2019, 19:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I had in mind!

But then I went and took a TD of the 1.8 TSI (AT), and was completely floored! The sheer presence, composure and eagerness to rev really impressed me - and I've been driving the Manual City for last 7 years.

In fact today has been a day of test drives. Drove the Corolla VL CVT in the morning, and was pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be (or perhaps I went in with too low expectations). But it is not a patch or match on the 1.8 TSI, to be honest.

Btw I had written to Skoda India, and got a call back within 24 hours. The caller apologized for their inability, but was clear that I won't get a 1.4 TD piece anywhere. As per him, and I quote verbatim - "96% of our sales are automatics, so it doesn't make sense for our dealers to keep a TD vehicle. If you wish to take a feel of the Octavia, why don't you test an automatic one?"

Anyhow, if the 1.4 is anywhere as awesome as the AT TSI in terms of gear and presence, I would literally write a cheque then and there, with only a small doubt in my mind whether I should have gone for the safer but unexciting Corolla instead.

Cheers,
R_S
Wait for some time and then get the Style AT variant
Old 30th March 2019, 23:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What's the exact price difference between 1.4 and 1.8? Are you going for car loan? If so, what's the EMI you are targetting? I suggest get quotes for both 1.4MT and 1.8AT Style.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Barely a difference of ₹1.6 lakh between the two variants. But I'm pretty sure they'll come down by another ₹50-60K if he books quick enough. That's totally worth the bigger engine and DSG. Now with 6 year warranty, there's really nothing to be worried about. Being cautious when you own a Skoda always pays off though. As I will explain in my thread in a few days about a recent incident. DQ200 is really a gem when new and working perfectly, but it does eat up your peace of mind every now and then.

But if you really are looking at a Manual transmission car, just go for the 1.4 TSI even without a TD. Why I say this is because I had an opportunity to TD a Jetta TSI. That's a 1.4 MT as well but 120 ps instead of Octy's 150 ps. It was a fun to drive car honestly, it should translate that the more powerful version will be much better don't you think?
adi_petrolhead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 09:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Now with 6 year warranty, there's really nothing to be worried about. Being cautious when you own a Skoda always pays off though. As I will explain in my thread in a few days about a recent incident. DQ200 is really a gem when new and working perfectly, but it does eat up your peace of mind every now and then.
Yes, I absolutely agree, and you are spot on with the numbers, although I'm awaiting final offers from both JMD and Autobahn Andheri.

Surprisingly both of them have denied having a "6-year warranty". I'm not sure if this was a limited period offer or something, would be definitely great to have it even at an incremental cost, just for the peace of mind.

Please do share your incident on the DQ200, and hope all is well and sorted now. Thanks a ton.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 31st March 2019, 10:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
However that doesn't seem to be working out given budget constraints, and also the 1.4 (based on your review and other sources) comes out to be a worthy contender in its own right!
The 1.4TSI is available in Ambition & Style variants:
My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI-screenshot_20190331105138.jpg
Old 31st March 2019, 15:15   #25
BHPian

I came across this post, and then read through both the threads back to back.

Suddenly, the "uninspiring" Corolla is starting to sound much better. Or may be I'm just getting old, who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check out the below threads for first hand information on the problems that can occur with the 1.8TSi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-issue.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...speed-dsg.html
Cheers,
R_S
Old 8th April 2019, 15:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:

No reviews on TBHP, no dealers keeping it for a test drive? Is the 1.4 TSI such a non-liked car? And why?

Cheers,
R_S
Hey Roadie_swift, I was in the same boat as you when I was considering Octavia 1.4 TSI in 2017. I never got a test drive but still went for it. It was our first car and I didn't want to take a risk with DSG.

After 2 years and 45,000kms, I am quite happy with it. Happy to offer you a test drive if you are in Pune or share more info.

1.4 TSI is quite a punchy engine with 150 horses and 250nm of Torque. I have driven 1.8 TSI for a brief period and loved it. But 1.4 TSI is not as bad as it is made out to be. I have taken it to unmentionable speeds on the roads of Rajasthan and Mumbai-Pune expressway. Never found it out of breath. It does have noticeable turbo lag till 1200rpm but once you learn to play with gears, it's manageable.

The sweet thing about it is the healthy fuel economy. When driven sedately at 80kmph, it returns 20kmpl. And in the city, it is around 13-15kmpl.

Let me be honest here, once in a while I do wish for 1.8TSI with DSG because of Pune's mad traffic. But then I don't have a stomach for DSG failure.

So, if your usage involves a lot of city commute with stop-and-go traffic, 1.8 TSI might be a better pick. If you are comfortable with manual and want a peace of mind and good mileage, 1.4TSI is a good pick.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:08. Reason: Typo
livezero is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 01:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Hey Roadie_swift, I was in the same boat as you when I was considering Octavia 1.4 TSI in 2017. I never got a test drive but still went for it. It was our first car and I didn't want to take a risk with DSG.

After 2 years and 45,000kms, I am quite happy with it. Happy to offer you a test drive if you are in Pune or share more info.

1.4 TSI is quite a punchy engine with 150 horses and 250nm of Torque. I have driven 1.8 TSI for a brief period and loved it. But 1.4 TSI is not as bad as it is made out to be. I have taken it to unmentionable speeds on the roads of Rajasthan and Mumbai-Pune expressway. Never found it out of breath. It does have noticeable turbo lag till 1200rpm but once you learn to play with gears, it's manageable.

The sweet thing about it is the healthy fuel economy. When driven sedately at 80kmph, it returns 20kmpl. And in the city, it is around 13-15kmpl.

Let me be honest here, once in a while I do wish for 1.8TSI with DSG because of Pune's mad traffic. But then I don't have a stomach for DSG failure.

So, if your usage involves a lot of city commute with stop-and-go traffic, 1.8 TSI might be a better pick. If you are comfortable with manual and want a peace of mind and good mileage, 1.4TSI is a good pick.
Hi ! I am interested in TD of 1.4 Tsi. I stay in Mumbai and can travel to Pune whenever you are available. Please let me know about the same.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:08. Reason: Typo in quoted post
Old 1st May 2019, 11:44   #28
BHPian

Here is a video of Faisal Khan having fun in a remapped 1.4 TSI. Head straight to 3 minute mark when he gets to driving. It may be the remap, but notice that he takes off effortlessly in second gear after taking the U-turn around the 5 minute mark - so low end torque of that particular car can't be too bad. Would be interesting to hear what the owners of stock 1.4 say about it. If I ignore the fact that he is doing all this on a public road, it is fun watching the rpm needle climb the way it does.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 10:52   #29
BHPian

Hi, I'm currently driving a City V Tec and wish to upgrade to an Octavia.

There's an offer from a Skoda dealer who has a Style 1.4 TSI Dec 2018 (10 km on the Odo) model in stock and is willing to knock off 2 lakhs off the price .

I'm thinking of doing Stage 1 mods to bump up the power to 170 - 180 bhp.

The other option is buying a used 1.8 TSI (26k/ 2016 model) with the dreaded DSG Box, costing about 18 lakhs.

Which is a better option from the above two?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:14. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 5th May 2019, 11:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Which is a better option from the above two?
Well it depends on what are your requirements. If you are insistent on an Auto transmission, then 1.8 remains the only option (within Octavia). However by all reports the 1.4 is tremendously fun to drive, especially if your driving is largely going to be on highways/open roads, especially hills or twisties.

If Auto is not a condition, it would always be better to go for a new Octy 1.4 instead of a used 1.8.

Not sure on the performance mods, whether you might want to wait until the warranty period is over before you do that. While the 1.4 manual is nowhere as likely to have issues as the "Dreaded DSG", bear in mind that it is still a Skoda and one is always better off having the protection of an extended warranty.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed