Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 03:18   #31
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilkumar1247 View Post
Hi ! I am interested in TD of 1.4 Tsi. I stay in Mumbai and can travel to Pune whenever you are available. Please let me know about the same.
Hey Sunil, sorry for the delayed response as I have been traveling. I will be in Pune after 13th. So maybe we can catch up after that? Also, I can see a couple of 1.4 TSIs available on CarTrade in Mumbai. That might be more convenient for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
so low end torque of that particular car can't be too bad. Would be interesting to hear what the owners of stock 1.4 say about it.
Yeah, the low-end torque is pretty good. I find it easy to take off in second gear even on those huge speed breakers. It also helps a lot in slow moving traffic. And the second gear is pretty wild. You can pull it all the way from 10kmph to 90kmph.

You do notice a slight turbo lag in 3rd gear. But once you are past 1000rpm, the progress is brisk. You can drive it just like an automatic from 15kmph to 120kmph.

There is also a kickdown switch which gets activated when I depress the accelerator fully. You actually get the feeling that you switched on a button beneath the pedal. It noticeably increases the throttle response and reduces the turbo lag. It took me a year of ownership to find out but better late than never.
livezero is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 10:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hey there! So a Kickdown button on a manual transmission? Really looking forward to try that out sometime if I get the opportunity. Normally in the Automatic, the Kickdown button drops couple of gears and assists for brisk overtakes. Didn't know it works in manual transmissions also like a boost button! Real great discovery this!
Old 7th May 2019, 12:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Hey Sunil, sorry for the delayed response as I have been traveling. I will be in Pune after 13th. So maybe we can catch up after that? Also, I can see a couple of 1.4 TSIs available on CarTrade in Mumbai. That might be more convenient for you..
Thanks for the input. Will try getting a test drive from CarTrade.
Old 8th May 2019, 02:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey there! So a Kickdown button on a manual transmission? Really looking forward to try that out sometime if I get the opportunity. Normally in the Automatic, the Kickdown button drops couple of gears and assists for brisk overtakes. Didn't know it works in manual transmissions also like a boost button! Real great discovery this!
Thanks Adi! Your ownership thread was immensely helpful during our car purchase.

Yeah, the kickdown button is super fun to use. The boost is instantaneous in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear whereas you do feel the delay of a second to get the boost in 5th & 6th gear if you are in lower rpm.

I think it's the same switch deepfreak15 talked about in his Audi A3 1.4 TFSI ownership review. Guess the Skoda engineers didn't want owners of manual Octavia to miss on the fun.
Old 24th May 2019, 16:55   #35
BHPian

This thread could be the only one for 1.4 TSI!

Been eyeing Octy for quite some time - either new/used.

Would it make sense to buy a 48K run 1.4 TSI? How good is the suspension etc generally? Could we expect a lot of maintenance?

Thank you for any inputs/advice.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Spacing and formatting and typos
Old 25th May 2019, 10:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Hi, I'm currently driving a City V Tec and wish to upgrade to an Octavia.

There's an offer from a Skoda dealer who has a Style 1.4 TSI Dec 2018 (10 km on the Odo) model in stock and is willing to knock off 2 lakhs off the price .

I'm thinking of doing Stage 1 mods to bump up the power to 170 - 180 bhp.

The other option is buying a used 1.8 TSI (26k/ 2016 model) with the dreaded DSG Box, costing about 18 lakhs.

Which is a better option from the above two?
I am also in touch with a Skoda dealer in Andheri Mumbai, and got a deal for 1.4 TSI Style manual .. around the same discount that was offered to you. I am also dilly dallying, and checking few cars - but none as appealing to my heart as this one

Factors on back of my mind that are holding me back are - BS6, Skoda high maintenance (never owned a non-maruti - have a ciaz & dzire), transmission compromise (why spend 21-22 lakh and still take a manual?), etc

But, Octavia all said and done is a beautiful, solid car and am very tempted to get this 1.4 TSI petrol - and have watched the faisal khan youtube video review several times

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Formatting quoted post
sudhirdamo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 11:51   #37
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

The 1.4 TSI engine shouldn't be under estimated. Yes in front of 1.8 tsi it might not sound great but when you start looking at the 1.4 TSI individually you would start appreciating it.

1) The MQB Octavia weighs around 1250 kgs and the power and torque to weight ratios are similar to the abarth Punto which isn't a bad thing.

2) The same engine does duty in the A3, A4.

3) The torque is same as that of its big brother.

4) The best thing is that it comes with an utterly slick 6 speed GB which makes the drive very engaging.

5) Doesn't come with the infamous DQ200 so more peace of mind.

The only major gripe as per me is that the independent suspension is only exclusive to the 1.8 tsi in the Octavia family. Apart from that the 1.4 TSI is a great buy, specially with some discounts thrown in.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:18. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 15:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
This thread could be the only one for 1.4 TSI !

Been eyeing Octy for quite some time - either new/used.
Would it make sense to buy a 48K run 1.4 TSI ? How good are the suspension etc generally? Could we expect a lot of maintenance? Thank you for any inputs/advice.
Mine is at 46k after 2 years and 4 months. All seems to be good including suspension, even the battery and brake pads are holding up well. My only gripe has been the Goodyear tyres and the noisy rear-suspension. The ride is a bit crashy at low speeds so you do have to baby it on really bad roads. But at the high speeds, you don't really miss multi-link suspension. Hoping the Micheline PS3 will take care of it.
Old 25th May 2019, 18:19   #39
NH6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
I am also in touch with a Skoda dealer in Andheri Mumbai, and got a deal for 1.4 TSI Style manual .. around the same discount that was offered to you.
Similar thoughts running thru me. I am a bit shaky and uncertain as they offered a 2018 manufactured car, which might appear allotted to some other buyer, perhaps.

Last edited by ampere : 9th July 2019 at 15:26. Reason: compacted quoted post
NH6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:14   #40
BHPian

They are offering me 1.4 TSI Style in white color.. and is 2019 manufactured. Reasoning they gave me is that some corporate ordered 5 initially, and took 4 only.. so, 1 unit is available free at present

How relevant is buying manual transmission right now., I tried speaking to multiple Skoda dealers - they all tell me that they hardly sell a manual variant and sales are very rare, may be once in a quarter or even once in 6 months.. I totally love the features like LED headlamps, Front & rear sensors, build quality, etc . Is 21 lakh OTR a great price for 1.4 TSI style variant (or) should I wait and stretch 3 lakh more for a 1.8 TSI DSG Style - after all its 15% more for an engine & transmission upgrade

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions to address your reply.
sudhirdamo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:36   #41
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
How relevant is buying manual transmission right now., I tried speaking to multiple Skoda dealers - they all tell me that they hardly sell a manual variant and sales are very rare, may be once in a quarter or even once in 6 months.. I totally love the features like LED headlamps, Front & rear sensors, build quality, etc .
The 1.8 TSI Octavia also comes with multilink rear suspension, instead of torsion beam of 1.4. Spending RS 3 lakhs is worth for that fantastic engine, gearbox and suspension.

Last edited by ampere : 9th July 2019 at 15:27. Reason: compacted quoted post; tsi=TSI; Octy = Octavia
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 22:18   #42
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

As a 1.8 TSI owner, I can certify that you will not regret spending additional 3L for this engine & gear box combo

As long as gear box works, its great piece of engineering & delivers a smile when you are in the mood.

Multi linked suspension is another plus, keeps the ride comfortable & tight.

Go for it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Spacing
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 13:37   #43
BHPian

If anyone wants a TD, i can offer mine in delhi! I feel like its a non seller only due to a very small market willing to go for a manual in that price bracket.
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 13:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
If anyone wants a TD, i can offer mine in delhi! I feel like its a non seller only due to a very small market willing to go for a manual in that price bracket.

That is cent percent true. Manuals don't sell well in D segment and above with the Compass being an exception.
Old 9th July 2019, 15:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi zee_bat. Thanks for posting a very written review of Octavia 1.4 TSI.

I have been scouting for a second car and had shortlisted on Vento 1.2TSI and Octavia 1.4TSI.
Loved 1.2 TSI's performance, especially with the added DSG advantage. VW Sales associate (Sanjeev Sharma) was super helpful in arranging a 45 min TD of both Diesel and Petrol DSG variants! Helped me understand why 1.2TSI is rated a more fun-to-drive package than 1.5TDI.

However, Skoda's story was a bit different - none of the dealerships in NCR offer Octavia 1.4TSI or 2.0TDI MT for a TD, not even a stock car to experience the interiors of "Ambition" trim! Took TD of a 1.8TSI, which was impressive by any standards. I reached out to Skoda customer care in hope of finding a TD for relevant models, but to no avail. Appalled by Skoda's step motherly treatment to some of their own products.

While Octavia is from a segment above, offering superior ride comfort, space, better engine specs, etc. I am not sure if I can make a purchase decision without a TD. I have always owned Japanese/Koreans car all my life and am itching to move out to VAG territory this time.

Has anyone driven both Vento 1.2TSI DSG and Octavia 1.4TSI Manual, and can share their thoughts on city driving/ highway performance?

zee_bat: Is the TD still on offer?
If I'm unable to decide in next 1-2 weeks, I may have to request you for one. I live in Gurgaon and can travel to any part of NCR to experience the car. Many Thanks in advance!

----------
Kols

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks