Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 14:21   #16
BHPian

Re: My Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 (400 Nm)

Hello Navpreet318 !!

Congratulations on possessing the TATA SAFARI STORME VARICOR 400 VX 4x4 - A vehicle which most people aspire to possess but end up getting into controversial debatable discussions and thereafter refrain from buying it. Cheers to your Choice of the Vehicle and the Colour too !!

Had been avidly following the Team BHP Official Review thread of the Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 for a long time now - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html However, was categorically waiting for an Ownership Review of this Beast. Very well written and a comprehensively composed ownership thread

As mentioned by you I am only wary about the "Typical TATA Quirks" as mentioned by you having had the experience of owning a Few TATA vehicles in my garage previously.

There are a few things that I feel TATA should have or rather can provide with the Storme to make the Vehicle more complete and distinguished; that is :
  • A Dead Pedal - A must for a Tourer Vehicle
  • A Touch Screen Infotainment System with GPS Navigation and a Rear Parking Camera - Considering the Mammoth Size of the Vehicle this is a must and should have been made a part of the Standard Features List. Also, one should understand that a person buying a vehicle of this category will definitely be an enthusiast and an avid traveler.
  • A cooled glove box - For those long road trip !! Toyota gives that in their ETIOS as well
  • A Sunroof - This is one thing that most SUV(s) lack in India. TATA should recognize this and provide this in an Optional Variant to the VX

I have certain queries and would like you to brief us about the following :
  1. The Gold AMC Plan for 3 Years - What is it and what are the benefits of this plan ? Furthermore, what is the Upfront Cost of Getting this AMC ?
  2. How much does the 4th Year Extended Warranty come for ? The Cost ?
  3. What is the standard warranty provided by TATA in Kilometers upto the 4th year ?
  4. Seems that your Delhi to Kolkata drive was a pleasurable one !! What Fuel Efficiency did the Storme deliver ?
  5. Have you upgraded your Tires yet ? Do you plan to upgrade them to AT ones ?

Shall curiously await your feedback on my above questions. Your review provides a honest insight on the All New Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 and I am definitely affirmed to go for a TD pretty soon. Rated your review 5* !!

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 17th March 2016 at 14:25. Reason: Changes
Old 17th March 2016, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Thanks for the fantastic ownership report and travelogue!
Can you say which mats are these and where did you get them from?
Hi, those mats cost me 5K and they're from some "Eva Timetech" brand. Available locally in Dehradun.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3931595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Nice. ride! I'd like to know what rpm it holds at 100 and 120kmph in 6th gear. Also, coming from the Civic, how do you rate the agility of the vehicle? Is it willing to make direction changes without complaining, like during quick overtaking?
A shade under 2K for 100kmph and i think about 2.1k for 120Kmph. I have been naughty on the YEW. and have seen some numbers previously unheard of on a SUV of this category. It was fantastic!

One cannot compare a SUV with a car but still I can vouch that it is more stable at 100-120 and beyond and lane changing at 120 is a piece of cake for it. And this is on stock tires. I can say that it has handling just a shade under the Pajero Sports Handling which is shod with 265 tires and that is something to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
[/list]Hi Navpreet,

Congrats on bringing the beast home. Compared to the previous Storme, the all black interiors look beautiful.

On the screeching sound, is the issue resolved? Because don't take it lightly, I had the same issue with my Storme, which a specific service center couldn't fix even after 8 visits!!, but another one fixed in an instance. Let me know if you need the specifics.

Regards,
Rohan Sachar.
Yes Please for the specifics. That sound did not come during this trip. Now that I am back and we went for a small trip to nearby mountainous areas of Kanatal, I heard it twice and then couldn't reproduce it.
It'll be great help Rohan if it is something very very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Hello Navpreet318 !!

Had been avidly following the Team BHP Official Review thread of the Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 for a long time now - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html However, was categorically waiting for an Ownership Review of this Beast. Very well written and a comprehensively composed ownership thread

As mentioned by you I am only wary about the "Typical TATA Quirks" as mentioned by you having had the experience of owning a Few TATA vehicles in my garage previously.

There are a few things that I feel TATA should have or rather can provide with the Storme to make the Vehicle more complete and distinguished; that is :
  • A Dead Pedal - A must for a Tourer Vehicle
  • A Touch Screen Infotainment System with GPS Navigation and a Rear Parking Camera - Considering the Mammoth Size of the Vehicle this is a must and should have been made a part of the Standard Features List. Also, one should understand that a person buying a vehicle of this category will definitely be an enthusiast and an avid traveler.
I frankly am happy there is no touch screen infotainment system. It is harder to use than the regular button system. Though I hate the location of the present system.
  • A cooled glove box - For those long road trip !! Toyota gives that in their ETIOS as well
  • A Sunroof - This is one thing that most SUV(s) lack in India. TATA should recognize this and provide this in an Optional Variant to the VX
100% agree to the rest of your points.

I have certain queries and would like you to brief us about the following :
  1. The Gold AMC Plan for 3 Years - What is it and what are the benefits of this plan ? Furthermore, what is the Upfront Cost of Getting this AMC ? I don't remember exactly but around 48-49K for this. It covers everything except the Battery and Tires. The wipers were recently changed when one of them started leaving a line of water on the windscreen. Complete peace of mind. 3 Years 60K Kms.
  2. How much does the 4th Year Extended Warranty come for ? The Cost ? Around 7-8K.
  3. What is the standard warranty provided by TATA in Kilometers upto the 4th year ? Don't remember off hand. Will get back.
  4. Seems that your Delhi to Kolkata drive was a pleasurable one !! What Fuel Efficiency did the Storme deliver ? Yet to Calculate this.
  5. Have you upgraded your Tires yet ? Do you plan to upgrade them to AT ones ? I was thinking when I bought the storme but then they have performed pretty good and as of now I have no plans to do the same.
Shall curiously await your feedback on my above questions. Your review provides a honest insight on the All New Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 and I am definitely affirmed to go for a TD pretty soon. Rated your review 5* !!
Thanks.My replies underlined above.

navpreet318 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 16:49   #18
Aum
BHPian

Hi Navpreet,
Congratulations. Nicely written review and thought process before deciding on Storme. I completely agree with AJ, TATA usually gets beaten up for lot of things and a good product usually goes unnoticed. I have been following official review very keenly as I am also hunting for my next ride and was eagerly waiting for ownership review to affirm my faith in this product. I guess would wait for few more months for hexa to come by. Again congratulations and best of luck for millions of happy miles.
Aum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 18:35   #19
BHPian

An honest feedback based on actual owners driving experience. Thanks navpreet318, wish you many miles of bliss on your new ride.

Have been sitting on the fence for some time postponing my decision to buy a proper SUV. Was inclined towards the Storme VX but all the niggles and the negativity associated with the extended and frequent visits to the workshop really held me back.
Your post has rekindled the confidence in the product, will pay the dealer a visit again.
goswami.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 18:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Yes Please for the specifics. That sound did not come during this trip. Now that I am back and we went for a small trip to nearby mountainous areas of Kanatal, I heard it twice and then couldn't reproduce it.
It'll be great help Rohan if it is something very very different.
So apparently, there's an issue that happens in some Stormes, wherein some friction develops between the brake pad & the caliper.

After 8 visits & random check-ups, nothing was found in my Storme, but at Concorde Worli(Mumbai), a floor supervisor(Nawaz) literally ordered for all 4 brake pads to be completely opened up to check for their surface & if there were any rough edges. Needless to say, there were in two.

They were smoothed out, & the squeak is now almost non-existent.

Regards,
Rohan Sachar.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 19:25   #21
BHPian

Nice Review of the new Storme
Feel like changing my storme to the new one.

Regarding the Dead pedal :

I have been using safari for over 8 yrs driven quite a lot..close to 1.4 lac km both my old 2.2 dicor and Storme (2013) never really felt that I need a dead pedal in on long drives. I think dead pedal is really needed for a sedan or small cars driving position is more inclined back. When one sits upright like in safari may be its not really needed.
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 19:32   #22
BHPian

Great review indeed and great trip too.

Would very much like tata to be the number one manufacturer and afss also
Old 17th March 2016, 19:57   #23
BHPian

Beautiful and Honest Review of your beast! Congratulations once again!!

I've taken the plunge too and booked an Astern Black VX (4x2) Although, I've bought the 4th year warranty; can't make up my mind for the AMC!? How does it work with the warranty? Does it come into effect after the 4th year (Warranty expires) or 3rd year (after std warranty expiration)?
I am guessing AMC can be bought after taking delivery as well; is there a limit (time/kms) until when can one buy it?

Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 20:30   #24
ISO
BANNED

Long awaited review and finally online. Awesome details in the review.

Thanks for sharing
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 20:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Superb review Navpreet!

One thing that I could not find was comment on its headlight's performance. How were they during the drive? Do you need to add more lights at front?
Wanted to quote this separately.

Headlight Performance:

The headlights are superb in high beam. On the highways which are unlit and require a long throw the high beam leaves nothing more to be desired. Perfect combination of throw and spread. I personally would not drive with low beams on highways no matter what. It is extremely important for me to spot a person walking, on a cycle or on a two wheeler ahead of me which is just no possible in the limited throw of the low beams.

Coming to the low beams. Great for in city driving with lit roads. The problem is these new projector lights. People go gaga over the sharp cut-offs that these produce. Frankly I think those sharp cut-offs are the most dangerous things ever made for a vehicle. This is India! We have people and animals running across roads without any consideration of vehicles.
even in the highest position, the low beam throw is about 30 ft. I don't think I will be able to stop from 60Kmph if I spot an object/person/animal at that distance. This is particularly bad with these sharp cutoffs which lead to complete darkness ahead of the cutoff. This is not a Storme problem. This is a problem with all projector setups.
The regular reflectors have a low amount of light passing even ahead of the cutoff region and objects/people can be spotted in that light.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the headlights. I had planned to put auxiliary lights earlier but now I have dropped that plan. I don't even plan to put HID's in the projector.
I think this is a well thought over product with emphasis on the most important driving bits. It is thoroughly enjoyable to drive and I always have a grin plastered on my face. The other secondary items is where they have not really paid attention like placement of the infotainment system etc.

Good reliable vehicle. I would have never said the word "reliable" earlier. But now after this 4300Kms storm of a drive in the Storme, I am reassured that indeed Tata has made a good vehicle this time around and frankly my decision to not go for the Scorpio instead was a wise decision.
navpreet318 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 20:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
............ can't make up my mind for the AMC!? How does it work with the warranty? Does it come into effect after the 4th year (Warranty expires) or 3rd year (after std warranty expiration)?
I am guessing AMC can be bought after taking delivery as well; is there a limit (time/kms) until when can one buy it?

Thanks

The Gold AMC can only be bought at the time of Purchase. It will start from Day 1. I have taken the 3 Year, 60000kms AMC which is the highest offered. It will take care of all service and wear and tear parts like oil, oil filter, brake pads, air filter, wipers. Everything except the Battery and Tires. Everything else is covered. I just got the wiper replaced.
Extended warranty increases the warranty period to 4 years.

So with both in place, you can have complete peace of mind with Zero spending on anything for 3 years at least.
navpreet318 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 21:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations

A very nice & hatke review, from the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The headlights are superb in high beam. On the highways which are unlit and require a long throw the high beam leaves nothing more to be desired. Perfect combination of throw and spread. I personally would not drive with low beams on highways no matter what. It is extremely important for me to spot a person walking, on a cycle or on a two wheeler ahead of me which is just no possible in the limited throw of the low beams.
For the life of me, I don't understand why people even advocate driving in low beams. I have seen few videos of South India and appreciate the Highways being lit, but haven't seen so in most of the North & East.

Once, a multi-axle trailer was coming from the opposite direction and I had dipped my beam and when I flicked it up, I saw a tractor trailer parked and we were on a bridge with no where to go. I was driving a vehicle which had cross ply tires & drums. Thank God I went down two gears and let the clutch go [along with brakes] Couldn't steer anywhere.

Storme's headlamps are brilliant. I remember when it was launched & I drove it, I could maintain 120's on single carriage roads.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th March 2016 at 21:29.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 23:24   #28
BHPian

NCR Storme lovers will all turn green with envy reading this review
What is the FE you are now getting past the run in? City & Highway? Hoping for the ban to go, Tata showroom in my vicinity doesn't even have a test drive storme . Also any experience of 4WD High & Low?
Old 18th March 2016, 01:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review! I guess you now only have to comment on the 4x4 and the jump seat experience and ya, the mileage.

What is the difference in the AC unit of Storme and older Safari's?
Old 18th March 2016, 01:35   #30
BHPian

Navpreet.. Congrats on your new Safari. It still has the king of the hill look as always.

I have a 2009 2.2 dicor safari. I have driven it a fair bit on long drivers. It is a really nice vehicle for that.

One small issue I had always faced is that above 80-90 kmph, it cannot pull strongly enough to get out of tight situations quickly. Even if it is pushed harder, it feels that the car wont get stabilized at the desired higher speed in time. This issue bothers me more on long two way highway stretches with lots of truck traffic.

How do you feel about this? Does the extra torque help?

PS - Spot on review with the headlamps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks