Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 21:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport

Congratulations SantoshBhat on owning one of the best cars in the segment! Ever since Akshay's thread I have been in love with the X3. I feel it looks quite rounded and that 3 litre engine is worthy of breaking the bank for! While for some reason I have only seen cars in the darker shade the white looks pretty classy! Pity BMW India hasn't marketed this really well. I for one would take this over the Q5 every single time. What happens when the GLC comes is another thing altogether.

What an upgrade from the Laura to this! Have you sold the Laura off or do you plan to enjoy it for a little longer given that this car has achieved some sort of a cult status with tremendous mod potential?

Its really stupid of BMW to skimp on the powered tailgate on a car that costs around 70 big ones (guessing) especially when cars costing half now have it.

This engine has the ability to keep you entertained throughout the ownership of the car and is worth spending the extra 10 lacs or so you paid for it. The HUD is another awesome feature which seems like a party trick at first but is very useful in daily usage.

Boy this is stuff dreams are made of! Wish you many safe miles on this one!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 05:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

BMW does silly things, the tailgate operation with the leg is a part of comfort access, my car being a CBU has it and I only discovered they take it off for India. I have no idea why would they do that. It doesn't have a big impact in terms of warranty claims or things they would need to keep in stock. I understand for the adaptive suspension but things like these baffle me to no end.

You should also know that a lot of BMW's come with the useless LIM switch instead of Cruise Control. Hopefully some coding can get things to your liking, you should definitely check that out.
It is a Product Manager's jeopardy. Trying to pack maximum goodies in a given budget and country specific constraints.
The Limit switch comes for free while cruise control comes for a charge. Same with auto tailgate operation, it adds on charge as well.
For me, the X3 30d is wisely loaded. Pretty intelligent job done by BMW. In fact, the 320d M Sport as seen at the Auto Expo is loaded with goodies as well. Yes it still comes with the LIM switch. It should be a great feature for those prone to road rage for example.
Old 16th February 2016, 10:13   #33
BHPian

Re: Engine & Gearbox performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Engine and Gear box performance :

The M sport gets an 8 Speed ZF Sport Auto Transmission instead of the normal 8 Speed ZF in the 20d X Line. I don’t know whether by ‘Sport’ they mean AT with paddles or the GB shift patterns are also different. The N57 engine and the 8 speed ZF is a dream combination and is one of THE main reasons why I bought this car. Shifts are quick and seamless in lower gears, though upshifts are not DSG quick as this is a single clutch unit, unlike the DSG which is a dual clutch unit. But downshifts are much smoother and you don’t even feel it. Its always in the right gear, rarely hunts for gears and upshifts and downshifts with equal precision and there’s none of those jerky downshifts that are typical with DSGs.
Congratulations on your new Bimmer. Just had one question though, is the ZF transmission a torque converter auto or a single clutch automated manual type transmission.
Old 16th February 2016, 15:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine & Gearbox performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Congratulations on your new Bimmer. Just had one question though, is the ZF transmission a torque converter auto or a single clutch automated manual type transmission.
Its a torque converter, but feels very different from usual torque converters. Shifts are so fast that you can easily mistake it to be a dual clutch unit. Its only coz I own a Polo GT TSI that I can say that the DSG is a wee bit quicker in upshifting. The break in power delivery is just that milli second more in the ZF. But the box is smoother than the DSG which has a tendency to shudder while braking and downshifting. The torque convertor gives the ZF an advantage in stop and go traffic where the DSG struggles with the lack of torque and has to slip the clutch.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:50   #35
BHPian

Hi,

Hearty congratulations on the lovely car. I know all of us in perfect world would want to get the 530D but our road infrastructure becomes a challenge. This is a very good car and something that I also dream of.

You said you test drive the X5 as well. Somehow I have this hunch that the new X5 is more focused towards comfort probably and the X3 is sharper to handle.
Can you confirm this? In terms of steering feedback, suspension stiffness and body roll which felt sportier to you?

Plus does the M-sport pack make any changes to the suspension?

Thank you. All this info helps in day dreaming about the right car.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 16:06   #36
BHPian

Many congratulations on the new car.

And happy that you went for the larger engine.
I see a lot of 520ds and E220s on the road and feel that these cars serve people who like to be driven around than drive themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

But I felt Skoda in India is on a downward graph. Their sales has dropped and they don’t really seem to be bullish on India. I get a feeling the Superb is going to suffer the same fate as the Octavia.
If you're observing from a period when the Fabia was active, then in terms of overall numbers, Skoda is performing poorly than before. However, with the new Superb lined up for 2016 and the Fabia in 2017 (if rumors are to be believed) then Skoda is all set to gain the market share. Agreed that it will never to a Hyundai/Honda, but we can hope it does better YoY.
dhruvhersh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:34   #37
BHPian

Congrats Santoshbhat! A great decision to buy the X3. Wish you a lot of miles munching. I am sure you will make a lot of sweet memories with this dream machine in the coming years
debmum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 21:54   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hi,

You said you test drive the X5 as well. Somehow I have this hunch that the new X5 is more focused towards comfort probably and the X3 is sharper to handle.
Can you confirm this? In terms of steering feedback, suspension stiffness and body roll which felt sportier to you?

Plus does the M-sport pack make any changes to the suspension?

Thank you. All this info helps in day dreaming about the right car.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
X5 certainly did not feel as sporty as the X3 in handling. Its taller, larger and heavier than the X3 and that takes its toll on the handling. But it felt more luxurious and the interiors were richer than the X3's.

M sport has the same suspension as the X line. Adaptive dampers are standard on the X line and the M sport. Only the base expedition version comes without adaptive dampers.

Almost all online reviewers say that the adaptive dampers make a huge difference and are worth the money (they are optional in their markets). In these markets you have the option of standard suspension, sport suspension or adaptive suspension. Adaptive suspension is the most expensive and the top option as it has the option of both sport and comfort.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:23   #39
BHPian

I am a little late but still a big congrats to you, Santosh. If I had the moolah, I would have probably bought this or the 530D. The BSI is ridiculously priced and its best avoided, though the extended warranty is the one to opt for. Happy motoring the beast!
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 01:56   #40

Congrats Santosh on your new purchase, v6 engine is surely worth the extra price. I'm going through same dilemma - upgrading from Civic AT to luxury SUV.

Test drived GLE, new Evoque, Discovery and others, was never keen on BMWs but when I test drove X3, driving pleasure blew me away, but still I was reluctant as interior and features were not upto my expectations. Local sales guy was a known person so he insisted on X5, though it was stretching my budget but car had everything I was looking for - ultimate driving pleasure, fully loaded with all the features and decent interior (not extraordinary) so after negotiating for a month, I got a offer from local dealer in Gujarat in December which made little easy for me to finalise 70L OTR so was ready with payments but than horror stories started, as soon as I decide on any available option invariably car gets mysteriously sold and dealer was taking its own sweet time...finally gave me an option of Black (exterior) with ivory interior, fed up with constant phone calls I said yes to it without physically looking, after couple of days got a chance to see a 4 month old Ivory interior and it was realky dirty inside, so had to keep my delivery on hold. Dealer didn't had any other option, I was ok with beige interior but it's still not available with any of the dealers (have tried in Mumbai & Delhi as well) on top of it dealer is also not ready to honour December discount. Even company is not committing beige interior before April.

I'm forced to make a final decision for 2 reasons:
1. There is already proposed increased of 5% vat in Gujarat from April.
2. There are bright chances that Union budget might have some increase in taxes on bigger diesel cars.

Would appreciate some help from senior BHPians.

Option 1:
I'm getting Blue with mocha interior from a Mumbai dealer at reasonable discount (but not as good as December deal) wife and kids are ok with mocha interiors but somehow I'm not getting that luxury feel looking at mocha interior.
Option 2:
Another dealer has brown with Ivory interior, lighter interior looks much better but needs heavy maintenance.
Option 3:
Opt for GLE 250d - price little less, big compromise on engine, no panaromic sunroof and memory seats but super Mercedes fit and finish from inside.
Old 24th February 2016, 16:29   #41
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dknight View Post
Would appreciate some help from senior BHPians.

Option 1:
I'm getting Blue with mocha interior from a Mumbai dealer at reasonable discount (but not as good as December deal) wife and kids are ok with mocha interiors but somehow I'm not getting that luxury feel looking at mocha interior.
Option 2:
Another dealer has brown with Ivory interior, lighter interior looks much better but needs heavy maintenance.
Option 3:
Opt for GLE 250d - price little less, big compromise on engine, no panaromic sunroof and memory seats but super Mercedes fit and finish from inside.
Get the blue car, looks beautiful in that shade. It may be difficult to maintain the darker exterior, but regular polishing and all can fix that. The ivory interior is really difficult to keep up, you'll have jeans color fade on them and the leather gets cracked overtime which is very visible on the lighter interior. My option would be the blue X5. I myself have been waiting for the 2000cc engine ban to lift and get my hands on the X5.
What price are you getting from mumbai dealer? (if you don't mind sharing)

Do not go for the Mercedes, it has no comparison in power and is very expensive to maintain as compared to the BMW. My friend says he is already irritated with the rattles from the cabin and sunroof in the GLE.
Old 29th February 2016, 14:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh!

Lovely! Fully loaded car - Excellent decision! Congratulations!

Upgrading from a D segment car needs a lot of money! Thread title is very apt!

Was interested to know a couple of things:

1. Does it come with Adaptive cruise control?

2. Can Driver seating / ORVM / IRVM positions be tagged to the ignition key and stored / memorized?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 15:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Santosh!

Lovely! Fully loaded car - Excellent decision! Congratulations!

Upgrading from a D segment car needs a lot of money! Thread title is very apt!

Was interested to know a couple of things:

1. Does it come with Adaptive cruise control?

2. Can Driver seating / ORVM / IRVM positions be tagged to the ignition key and stored / memorized?
Thanks again Chethan. Yes, upgrading from cars like the Laura and Jetta is not easy. The next segment gives you space, but loses out on driving pleasure, whereas entry luxury cars give you driving pleasure but lose out on space. If you want both its a very tough call.

Coming to your queries

1) No, it does not come with adaptive cruise control. Indian Govt. does not like radar based tech I suppose.

2) When you lock your car with a particular key, the car memorizes those seat positions. If you use another key after that to unlock and change the driver seat position and ORVM and after than again use the 1st key to unlock, the last stored positions with that key, is automatically positioned. Apart from this there are 2 memory buttons on the seats themselves. You can store 2 seat positions in these presets and pull them up just by pressing the buttons. Seat memory includes just ORVM and seats. IRVM and steering positions are excluded as these are not powered or in other words, manual adjust.

Just saw the budget 2016. They have added another 5% tax on big SUVs. That's another 3.50 Lakhs added to the OTR of the X3 30d in Bangalore . I am glad I bought it in December!
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 18:53   #44
BHPian

Good choice on the 6 cyl X3. Most manufacturers have a trademark engine config and for the BMW cars, it has to be the inline 6. Congrats Santosh and wishing you many trouble free miles of ownership and joy
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 21:49   #45
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congratulations Santosh on your 30d X3 .

I'm quite influenced by your detailed review of X3 and that ''I'm an engine guy'' really played on my mind. I'm going ahead with booking an X5 (White with Terra leather) tomorrow, decided to stretch after lot of thought. I did consider the M Sport X3, but for the space...As you rightly said it's really tough upgrading from a vRS/Octy/Passat.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed