Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:15   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Nice nifty updates to your X3, the car would look even better with a better set of alloys. Did you get the headlamp washer checked? I can see it sticking out in the photos you have posted.
Nope, I haven't yet visited the service centre. Been really busy past month or so. On a related note I just finished another long drive and unfortunately hit a bird at good speed. The impact was on the bumper and one of the front parking sensors got dislocated and is dangling inside. And my bad luck did not stop there. I was behind a truck carrying small stones, about 2" wide stones and not small jelly stones. Suddenly there was a road undulation and a stone popped out and landed on my windshied and chipped the glass. The front end of the car has some bad omen going on right now . Its a small chip on the passenger side. I think I will observe for a few days and replace the glass only if the crack expands.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd August 2016 at 14:21.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:15   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

1st Service Experience

The car is currently at about 7,5xx Kms. The iDrive displays the service requirements of the car under the vehicle information heading. After every start up you get a service due date intimation on a speedo cluster. "Service due in 8/2017" is what I see every time I start the car. That's about 20 months from the date of purchase of the car. The iDrive displays things like brake pad life, oil level, brake fluid change due date, and due date for vehicle check etc.. The oil level in the past 8 months and 7,500 kms has remained constant and has not dropped one bit. The oil change due date dropped from 12,000 kms in the beginning to 11,000 then 10,000 and now finally at 7,5xx kms it said 1,500 kms to go before oil change and "Schedule appointment with BMW service". I have a trip to Hampi coming up with family (a 900 km round trip) + another drive to Belgaum in the first week of next month (1000 km round trip). So I did not want to take a chance and called Navnit Motors to schedule an appointment.

On one my trips to the Airport I had seen that Navnit Motors had taken a new place on Airport Road. It seemed to be WIP and the facility hadn't yet opened. When I called Navnit for the appointment they told me that the service centre was indeed up and running. Since I live in North Bangalore this is a huge boon for me as the only other facility is in Electronic city and that's like travelling to another town from where I live.

I got the appointment easily and this was my first visit to a BMW service facility. The service centre is well appointed and is just off the Airport Road. I walked in at 10:00 am and the place was almost completely deserted. Just one receptionist and one service advisor. I then learnt that this service centre had opened for business just 3 days back .

I told the service advisor that I am in for an oil change only. I also had to report the failed headlamp washer, which I wanted replaced under warranty. At first the service advisor tried to blame it on me saying its been tampered with and that somebody has pulled it out by force. I think its part of their training to not accept faults in the first go and put the blame on the customer. I said OK, let's assume someone pulled it out. Now pull out the other washer and show me. He look at me and smiled and said no sir, I can't! The washer failed in my first drive in the rains. Clearly a manufacturing defect. He then marked it down for warranty replacement and as expected the part is not in stock. He says it has to come from their Chennai factory. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to come from Germany.

The BMW car key downloads quite a lot of data from a host of sensors inside the car and stores it. They insert the key into a reader and it instantly displays the service requirements of the car. What filters to clean, which ones to replace etc.... I told him I'd just like the oil and oil filter replaced and the air filter cleaned. Other things we can do during first service. But as per the data downloaded from the key it said - replace air filter and cabin AC filter too. I did not want to go against the recommendations as then it could affect my warranty. So gave him the go ahead. Air filter change in 7,500 kms is a waste, considering I have hardly driven in dusty conditions.

The car was ready at the promised time and the formalities were finished quickly. Bill Amount : 26,594.00 of which taxes itself account for about 3,500. Oil (6.50L) + Oil Filter costed me about 11K. The air and cabin filters are priced at about 4.5K each. Total labour about 1.3K + 1.6K for a wash and wax. Expensive for something which is not a full service. But then again the next service is due only after 12,000 kms, again for a similar service. Brake pads show a life of about 45,000 kms left in them. I did not bother with WA/WB/TR as the car is tracking dead straight and there's no wheel vibrations felt at any speed. I'll probably do a basic tyre rotation at the neighbourhood tyre shop after hitting 10k kms.

I must say the overall experience was pretty good and a 'premium' experience overall. The wash quality was exemplary and one the best I have seen at an A.S.S. The interiors, exteriors and the alloy wheels (generally neglected area) were all very well cleaned. After the oil change the engine feels a little smoother and a tad quieter too.

In other news, I hit a bird during my last drive and the hit dislocated one of the front parking sensors. It popped in from the hole and was hanging loose. I was expecting more damage considering the hit was at good speed. Luckily it did not hit the headlamps or the grill. Surely at that speed they would've cracked or dislocated. The bumper has a good amount of flex which prevented it from cracking. I fixed the parking sensor in 5 mins flat and at a cost of Rs. 5/-. Got a tube of fevi quick and applied to the insides of the hole first. Then a little more to my forefinger and put the finger thru the hole and pressed on the hanging sensor. Held the finger in position for a few seconds till the finger latched on to the sensor and then pulled it out. The sensor came back into position and was held in place by the glue. Pulled my finger out with a small ouch and it was done!

During my last drive I also chipped my windshield by a falling stone from a lorry ahead . The damage is what you'd call a bullseye about 10mm in radius and on the passenger side. Luckily its not expanding. I have ordered a repair kit on Amazon . Since it has to be shipped from USA, its not yet delivered. I am thinking whether I should contact Windshield experts for the job. I don't want to go for a full glass replacement under insurance as 1) its on the passenger side and does not hamper my vision at all and 2) since I drive a lot on highways, its likely to happen again.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st August 2016 at 23:22.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 00:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
1st Service Experience

During my last drive I also chipped my windshield by a falling stone from a lorry ahead . The damage is what you'd call a bullseye about 10mm in radius and on the passenger side. Luckily its not expanding. I have ordered a repair kit on Amazon . Since it has to be shipped from USA, its not yet delivered. I am thinking whether I should contact Windshield experts for the job. I don't want to go for a full glass replacement under insurance as 1) its on the passenger side and does not hamper my vision at all and 2) since I drive a lot on highways, its likely to happen again.
Hey Santosh,Even my 530d had a small chip off on corner of windscreen,I got it replaced from windscreen experts for Rs 5000 and they did a splendid job.No complaints whatsoever.I had a quote from BMW service centre and if claimed through insurance they quoted approx 30K (since I dont have zero dep insurance),they mentioned they need to replace the rain sensor as well,but windshield experts retained the old sensor and it works flawlessly.Hope this helps.
kedarwalke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
1st Service Experience

In other news, I hit a bird during my last drive and the hit dislocated one of the front parking sensors. It popped in from the hole and was hanging loose. I was expecting more damage considering the hit was at good speed. Luckily it did not hit the headlamps or the grill. Surely at that speed they would've cracked or dislocated. The bumper has a good amount of flex which prevented it from cracking. I fixed the parking sensor in 5 mins flat and at a cost of Rs. 5/-. Got a tube of fevi quick and applied to the insides of the hole first. Then a little more to my forefinger and put the finger thru the hole and pressed on the hanging sensor. Held the finger in position for a few seconds till the finger latched on to the sensor and then pulled it out. The sensor came back into position and was held in place by the glue. Pulled my finger out with a small ouch and it was done!
Dear Santoshbhat,

I appreciate your DIY attitude. I would like to give you a word of caution. Feviquick and any of its 'quick setting' options are all based on 'Cyno acrylates'. They contain cyanide! If you smell it, then you will get that almond smell! It is highly toxic and should never be allowed to touch your skin! The content is supposed to be so small that it will not kill you immediately! However, the warning is written somewhere on the packing! If I remember right, it says to not taste/ingest and not to let it touch your eyes. However, my suggestion is to NEVER touch it.

No offense intended - just trying to help. Please feel free to ignore.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:29   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Hey Santosh,Even my 530d had a small chip off on corner of windscreen,I got it replaced from windscreen experts for Rs 5000 and they did a splendid job.No complaints whatsoever.I had a quote from BMW service centre and if claimed through insurance they quoted approx 30K (since I dont have zero dep insurance),they mentioned they need to replace the rain sensor as well,but windshield experts retained the old sensor and it works flawlessly.Hope this helps.
Well I did contact windshield experts today and got pathetic response. Looks like they are not interested in their own business. I told them I wanted a chip repaired. The guy on the phone said that it cannot be repaired, without even looking at the car or a photo or a detailed verbal explanation of the damage . His tone was so bad, I doubt I can even trust him with the job. I guess I'll have to wait for the repair kit and hope that the chip doesn't expand. If it expands I guess I'll have to opt for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Santoshbhat,

I appreciate your DIY attitude. I would like to give you a word of caution. Feviquick and any of its 'quick setting' options are all based on 'Cyno acrylates'. They contain cyanide! If you smell it, then you will get that almond smell! It is highly toxic and should never be allowed to touch your skin! The content is supposed to be so small that it will not kill you immediately! However, the warning is written somewhere on the packing! If I remember right, it says to not taste/ingest and not to let it touch your eyes. However, my suggestion is to NEVER touch it.

No offense intended - just trying to help. Please feel free to ignore.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
I guess I should have used some kind of a swab or used protective gloves. The package does say its a cyanoacrylate adhesive but does not strongly warn against skin contact. In fact it gives instructions on how to wash it away after skin contact. Thanks for the information though. Will keep it in mind next time.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:25   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like they are not interested in their own business
They did started as a kind of repairer but since past many years they will be mostly doing replacements. If I am not mistaken it's a Asahi group company. In case your crack expands better get this done at BMW dealership.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They did started as a kind of repairer but since past many years they will be mostly doing replacements. If I am not mistaken it's a Asahi group company. In case your crack expands better get this done at BMW dealership.

Although our first instinct is to get it replaced I just don't buy BMW's service logic, they'll not only replace the glass, but everything thats connected to it. Meaning the RLS, IRVM anything else. It will cost close to ₹75-85000 if i remember correct from one of my friend's 7 series' similar experience. Although you have insurance, but its just illogical to replace all the parts and not re-use the IRVM which isn't difficult to install. They say that the new windshield comes pre-fixed with the new sensor and mirror and wiring etc. But again won't be reliable to get this sort of replacement from Windshield Experts.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The chip happened about 20 days back and its not growing in size and has been stable despite the fact that I've been driving the car around. The chip is about 8 to 10mm in dia. Looks like they are not interested in repairs anymore. Anyway I've raised a complaint via email and have already received a couple of calls. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Although our first instinct is to get it replaced I just don't buy BMW's service logic, they'll not only replace the glass, but everything thats connected to it. Meaning the RLS, IRVM anything else. It will cost close to ₹75-85000 if i remember correct from one of my friend's 7 series' similar experience. Although you have insurance, but its just illogical to replace all the parts and not re-use the IRVM which isn't difficult to install. They say that the new windshield comes pre-fixed with the new sensor and mirror and wiring etc. But again won't be reliable to get this sort of replacement from Windshield Experts.
Yeah that's the problem with full glass replacement which is why I was thinking of repairing it. It is quite far from the driver's field of vision and since I drive so much on the highway and likely to happen again, I wanted to get it repaired instead of a full replacement. Of course if it comes to replacement, BMW workshop is the only place I'll head to and nowhere else.

I don't have a proper picture right now except a low res whatsapp pic
Attached Thumbnails
Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-img20160803wa0001.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2016, 17:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident Santosh. From the picture, the damage looks to be low down on the windshield. Because of the position, there won't be much pressure exerted on the glass, by the wind force. Therefore, there should not be a problem.

I would suggest to simply live with it.

In case it gets worse, you anyway have to replace the whole windshield.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 22nd August 2016 at 17:23.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Second with Chetan here. I have a similar nick on my Octy's windshield since about six months 😁 living with it is the best solution given our highways being prone to such debris flying about. Particularly when following a dumper or a bus.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 18:02   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I had ordered Blue Star Windshield repair kit on Amazon the very next day after the windshield was chipped. The product is shipped from Singapore and took nearly a month to be delivered. In the meantime I drove the car around for nearly 1,500 kms. The chip expanded slighlty and stabilized, but was very visible nevertheless.

I tried calling Windshield experts, but they don't seem to be interested in doing repairs any more. I decided to use the kit this Sunday and see how it works. It basically injects a resin binder into the chipped area which cures on its own in sunlight. I followed the instructions to the T and must say I am impressed with the result. The imperfections of the chipped glass are concealed nearly to the extent of about 75% I'd say and the resin I believe will hold it together and prevent the chip/ crack from expanding. For Rs. 1,500 it does a great job . I am going to order another kit and keep it on standby since I drive a lot on highways.

Before Repair

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-img_8261a.jpg

W.I.P

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-img_8264a.jpg

After Repair

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-img_8267.jpg

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 29th August 2016 at 18:16.
Santoshbhat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 12:32   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Update :

The car has crossed 10,000 kms now and apart from the headlamp washer malfunction I've not faced any niggles till date. The FE I am getting is about 7.xx to 9.xx in the city and on the highway its a solid 11.xx to 12.xx kpl. Even with a very aggressive driving style it rarely drops to single digits on the highway.

I recently attended the BLR - HYD team BHP meet at Kurnool. A total drive of 750 odd kms on the Hyderabad highway and I had great time spending time with like minded folks. Unfortunately I had a bad start Link. I suffered a dog hit within some 40 kms of the drive. The front bumper has a faux air dam on the left side. The right side actually has an opening which feeds air to what looks like a mini intercooler. Luckily the hit was on the left and looks like the dog hit flush on the flat air dam. I was actually cruising, waiting for the other guys to catch up. So the hit must have been at a speed of about 80 to 90 kph. The bumper cracked and caved in. Some black plastic were hanging loose and had to be cut. A couple of sensors attached to these parts had to be unplugged. One of them was a parking sensor and other was the outside ambiente temp sensor. We had to unplug both. I got a warning on the dash saying outside temp -40 deg C! I don't know what that does to the ECU and how it handles the engine in such a case. Anyway everything else seemed normal and there were no leaks and the car was driving fine so I went ahead with the trip.

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-img_20160911_074609.jpg

After coming back I have initiated the claim process. Since the X3 M sport is a rare car I did not expect them to have the bumper in stock. And as expected the part has to be ordered from Germany. The advisor says it will arrive in 15 days. I expect a longer wait. I decided that since its going to be a long wait, I will take back the car once the insurance surveyor approves the repairs and bring the car in once the part arrives. I have reconnected the temp sensor and have taped it up to a metal frame. So the ECU is getting the temp sensor signals now. I don't want the car lying around in the workshop eating dust. I have a long drive with family coming up. I am in two minds whether to take the car or do this trip with the Polo.

The Navnit advisor has prepared an estimate of Rs. 1.90 Lakhs. Honestly I was expecting more! Luckily the headlamp assembly is intact other wise this figure would have gone up significantly. I have Bajaj Allianz insurance along with BMW Secure which is a Zero dep add on to the insurance. Hopefully I won't have to pay anything out of my pocket.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 16th September 2016 at 12:55.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 20:54   #88
BHPian

Wow!! That is quite some damage Santosh. Didn't realize the extent when you were mentioning the incident during lunch in the Kurnool meet. Wish your ride a speedy recovery with the new bumpers and hopefully you don't have to pay anything out of your pocket.
manas_270 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 08:58   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks bad. Good the damage didn't extend beyond the bumper. It's a good decision to take the car home, makes no sense to keep it at the dealer. Don't see any reason why you don't want to take this on a long drive. Safer and comfortable.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 10:07   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That looks bad. Good the damage didn't extend beyond the bumper. It's a good decision to take the car home, makes no sense to keep it at the dealer. Don't see any reason why you don't want to take this on a long drive. Safer and comfortable.
The wheel arch cladding and the engine floor guard are also cut and flap around a bit at high speeds. Should be manageable I guess if I keep the speeds down. I'll also see if I can do some jugaad and tie/ tape up those bits. I was just bit wary of driving the car in this state and then facing trouble due to 'consequential damage to the car'. Insurance companies love to wash off their hands from this one.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th September 2016 at 10:09.

Most Viewed