Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 11:01   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The wheel arch cladding and the engine floor guard are also cut and flap around a bit at high speeds. Should be manageable I guess if I keep the speeds down. I'll also see if I can do some jugaad and tie/ tape up those bits. I was just bit wary of driving the car in this state and then facing trouble due to 'consequential damage to the car'. Insurance companies love to wash off their hands from this one.
Okay, I thought it should be fit for the road because you continued the Kurnool trip without any issues. If your policy covers engine and gearbox, then consequential clause doesn't apply to damages to engine and gearbox. Discretion is advised

Just curious, were you driving alone or you had a passenger? My experience has been that I had zero incidents while driving alone but had few incidents like this when I have company esp friends due to engaging conversations. These days I drive a bit slower when I have company.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 11:06   #92
Team-BHP Support

That's just plain bad luck man. Hope it gets sorted out asap. Though I wouldn't suggest you take this on a long drive, not with this kind of damage. Rather just use the Polo.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 11:37   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Okay, I thought it should be fit for the road because you continued the Kurnool trip without any issues. If your policy covers engine and gearbox, then consequential clause doesn't apply to damages to engine and gearbox. Discretion is advised

Just curious, were you driving alone or you had a passenger? My experience has been that I had zero incidents while driving alone but had few incidents like this when I have company esp friends due to engaging conversations. These days I drive a bit slower when I have company.
I was driving alone. The funny thing is I was actually driving very slow, probably the slowest in the entire trip. I was waiting for the guys behind to catch up and spotted a couple of cars in the mirror and just started to accelerate to pick up speed. Just at that moment the dog just jumped on the road from the median. I was driving on the left lane and am still trying to figure out how I managed to hit it. In hindsight I should have braked. Maybe the sight of cars in the mirror prevented me from braking hard. The brakes on the X3 are phenomenal. At 80 ~ 90 kph if you brake hard the car just stops in its tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
That's just plain bad luck man. Hope it gets sorted out asap. Though I wouldn't suggest you take this on a long drive, not with this kind of damage. Rather just use the Polo.
Yes Akshay, bad luck, hurts to see the car in that condition. But it could have been worse. The left side is probably the best area in the frontal area to take that hit! Actually the damage looks worse in the picture. The loose black parts have been cut out and its pretty stable in there. I did drive for nearly 700 kms after the hit. The long drive I am talking about now will be about 1,200 kms in all and I think its better to avoid taking it for this trip.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 21:34   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I was driving alone. The funny thing is I was actually driving very slow, probably the slowest in the entire trip. I was waiting for the guys behind to catch up and spotted a couple of cars in the mirror and just started to accelerate to pick up speed. Just at that moment the dog just jumped on the road from the median. I was driving on the left lane and am still trying to figure out how I managed to hit it. In hindsight I should have braked. Maybe the sight of cars in the mirror prevented me from braking hard. The brakes on the X3 are phenomenal. At 80 ~ 90 kph if you brake hard the car just stops in its tracks.

Yes Akshay, bad luck, hurts to see the car in that condition. But it could have been worse. The left side is probably the best area in the frontal area to take that hit! Actually the damage looks worse in the picture. The loose black parts have been cut out and its pretty stable in there. I did drive for nearly 700 kms after the hit. The long drive I am talking about now will be about 1,200 kms in all and I think its better to avoid taking it for this trip.
Well you know what they say, better to not brake for an animal, rather than risk many other cars hitting you from behind. I love dogs (luckily have never hit one), but I've trained my reflexes to not brake too hard or steer hard if I see an animal suddenly.

You find the brakes phenomenal only because you were used to the Lauras brakes, which were pretty average You must try out a Bimmers sedans brakes.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 23:21   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

So the car is back after the repairs. The dog hit had damaged the front bumper, plenty of cladding and underbody plasticy stuff, few parking sensors, one temp sensor, one fog lamp and the headlamp washer units. Luckily the headlight assembly escaped damages. The timeline for the repairs looks like this

11-9-16 : The damage occurred.
12-9-16 : Called insurance company and reported the accident.
14-9-16 : Took the car to Navnit motors, E City, Bangalore. Told parts not in stock at dealer nor the factory and need to be ordered from Germany. Order will be placed once insurance company approves the estimate. Parts ETA : 15 days from the date of order placement.
16-9-16 : Estimate prepared for ₹ 1.90 lakhs.
20-9-16 : Insurance company approves estimate. Time lost due to Cauvery agitation in BLR
20-9-16 : Parts ordered and the wait begins. I bring back the car home as I feel its better parked at home than in a corner in the service centre.
8-10-16 : I am told that the parts have arrived. But I am out of town and tell them that I can bring the car only by 13th.
13-10-16 : Drop the car off.
18-10-16 : The car is ready,
19-10-16 : Bill is made for ₹ 2.30 lakhs and insurance surveyor will have to reinspect the car and approve the bill.
20-10-16 : Insurance surveyor does not turn up. A few follow up calls makes sure the re-inspection is done the next day.
21-10-16 : Bill approved. Car delivered.

Final amount payable by me was about ₹ 5,000/-. Regular insurance paid about 1.45 lakhs and BMW secure about 0.80 lakhs. When I inspected the car, I found a few loose rivets and a misalignment on the right side. They called for a technician out who came with his tool box and refitted a few clips. The final result was pretty good. X3 was back to its original glory.

Overall experience was satisfactory and though the turnaround seems long, I am not complaining, given that the parts had to come from Germany and yet I got the car back in about a month.

Interesting thing is that one of the headlamp washers had malfunctioned and a warranty replacement request was placed. The part had arrived and the service advisor had called me just a day before the accident took place to get it fitted. I could not go. But then the accident happened and both washers got damaged and were replaced under insurance.

I am already out on a long drive and boy does it feel good to get back behind the wheel of the X3

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-20161023_165418.jpg

Power corrupts | My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport | 8 years & 92,000 kms update-20161023_165450.jpg

Extended Warranty
On another note, I got a quote from Navnit Motors for extended warranty and BSI packs. I consciously avoided BSI packs earlier as they are highly overpriced. My first service is already done and I have paid for it from my pocket. But I do need extended warranty. The quote for 5 years extended warranty i.e additional 3 years after expiry of standard warranty is Rs. 1,50,190.00. For 6 years it is Rs. 2,45,410.00. I am thinking of taking the 5 years pack as 95K for just an additional year does not make sense. Then I don't have to worry about anything for 5 years. Just regular service bills.

For ref 5 years/60K BSI Basic is priced at ₹ 1.42L and BSI Plus is ₹ 3.07 L. Basic includes engine oil, filters, spark plugs, fluids, and service charges only. Plus includes additionally brake pads, discs, and wipers. My first service bill came to about ₹ 24K. Engine oil, oil filter and AC filter were the main expenses in that service. BSI packs are for service only and warranty packs need to be bought in addition to service packs in case defects have to be covered. So a 5 yr/60k kms service + warranty package will cost about ₹ 4.50L. If the car is totalled in the validity period, the pack will expire with the car.

My running could well cross 15k kms a year and 5 yr/80k kms packs are even more expensive. Paying so much upfront makes no financial sense. I'd rather invest that money and pay the service bills out of the ROI.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd October 2016 at 23:25.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 02:26   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see the car back in its glory Santosh & with the subtle mods it looks really tastefully done.

Also getting the extended warranty was a smart thing, all the best & wish you a stress free ownership in the coming years
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 16:39   #97
BHPian

Guys, How much of a discount can I expect for X3 30d M Sport if I close the deal this month? The dealer told me that I can get 7 lakhs cash discount on the OTR price, but it sounds a bit less considering the current situation. Is there any scope for getting a better deal?
Old 9th December 2016, 16:47   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Guys, How much of a discount can I expect for X3 30d M Sport if I close the deal this month? The dealer told me that I can get 7 lakhs cash discount on the OTR price, but it sounds a bit less considering the current situation. Is there any scope for getting a better deal?
I think 7-8 lacs is what you can get. I have heard BMW has removed location restrictions on dealers for this month. So why not call other dealers in large cities and see what they offer you.
Old 9th December 2016, 17:02   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I think 7-8 lacs is what you can get. I have heard BMW has removed location restrictions on dealers for this month. So why not call other dealers in large cities and see what they offer you.
Hi Akshay,

Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it would be worth an effort to purchase the car from another state if I get a better offer there. Unfortunately it is the same dealer who is selling BMW in both cities in my state!
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 16:32   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Akshay,

Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it would be worth an effort to purchase the car from another state if I get a better offer there. Unfortunately it is the same dealer who is selling BMW in both cities in my state!
Depending on how much better the offer is it definitely makes sense. Check out the MH and DL dealers where there is lots of competition.
Old 14th December 2016, 17:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Navneet from Mumbai offered 8L on X3 last week on just causally asking about the current deals. I am sure it can be stretched to 10-11L as the all new one is coming soon. As Sahil explained on another thread that this month BMW support is at it's maximum and dealers are also passing on their margin as additional discount.

Ask for 12L off and I won't be surprised if you get it.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:11   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Navneet from Mumbai offered 8L on X3 last week on just causally asking about the current deals. I am sure it can be stretched to 10-11L as the all new one is coming soon. As Sahil explained on another thread that this month BMW support is at it's maximum and dealers are also passing on their margin as additional discount.

Ask for 12L off and I won't be surprised if you get it.
Thanks Akshay and Skyliner. I just had a hour long discussion (more of a hard negotiation) with the BMW showroom manager and the best deal he offered me was 9 lakhs off on 20d & 8.5 lakhs off on 30d. I was told that the other offers (3 years warranty, basic service package for 3 years, etc.) are not applicable though.

I took a longish second test drive of X3 20d just before the discussion and I didn't feel that the 20d version is worth 60 lakh pricing. The engine was kind of noisy and the ride was pretty bumpy. Ultimately felt that GLC is better than 20d. I am going to try the X5 30d tomorrow (as they don't have an X3 30d test drive car) and I am hoping for a better experience.
Old 14th December 2016, 21:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I took a longish second test drive of X3 20d just before the discussion and I didn't feel that the 20d version is worth 60 lakh pricing. The engine was kind of noisy and the ride was pretty bumpy. Ultimately felt that GLC is better than 20d. I am going to try the X5 30d tomorrow (as they don't have an X3 30d test drive car) and I am hoping for a better experience.

I would suggest you to either wait for the new X3 (if not in hurry) or take a serious look at GLC (they are running good offers at present). Even though the 30d being a rocket, the current X3 version is here since a long time now and putting 60 big ones on it isn't worth it. My personal opinion, no offence meant to anyone.

@Santoshbhat, sorry for going OT on your thread. Didn't realise that it's your car's ownership thread.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 14th December 2016 at 21:06.
Old 14th December 2016, 21:41   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay and Skyliner. I just had a hour long discussion (more of a hard negotiation) with the BMW showroom manager and the best deal he offered me was 9 lakhs off on 20d & 8.5 lakhs off on 30d. I was told that the other offers (3 years warranty, basic service package for 3 years, etc.) are not applicable though.

In terms of ride, the 30d won't be any better than the 20d. In fact it may just be worse off as the 30d M sport now comes with 19" rims as standard.

My take is, if you are keen on the 30d, now is the best time to get it. The new X3 will take time to get here and when it does, it will be more expensive with higher ex showroom and lower discounts. And there is no guarantee that the 30d will come here.

GLC and X3, though in the same class, are very different in character. X3 will be more fun to drive while the GLC will be more luxurious.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 18:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Depending on how much better the offer is it definitely makes sense. Check out the MH and DL dealers where there is lots of competition.
I am getting a good price for X3 from a dealer based out of Kerala state. But the local dealer in my (Tamilnadu) state is claiming that I need to pay an additional entry tax of 14.5% on the ex showroom price of the car before I could register it in Tamilnadu. If I have to pay 14.5% entry tax that works out to around 7.5 lakhs, I am going to lose the whole price advantage of purchasing the car from the other state and will infact end up paying more. Am I missing something here? Kerala dealer is going to hand over the car with a temporary registration that costs only Rs.550 and is valid for a month. I am completely confused and it would be helpful if you guys could please enlighten me.

Santoshbhat - sorry for hijacking your thread

Last edited by ece2k2 : 17th December 2016 at 18:57.

Most Viewed