Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 22:15   #1
BHPian

Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT

There was no plan to buy a new car this soon. Definitely not an automatic.

Except for short stints in the Ambassador and the Maruti Omni, I have driven only Diesel fueled cars. My first car was a Maruti Esteem Di, bought in April, 2003. The first Esteem Di sold by Popular Automobiles in Madras. A solid workhorse, mostly driven by my father. My mode of commute was my RE Machismo A350. As the years passed by, the engine started to sound louder, overtaking required careful planning and parts were difficult to source. It could still do 120 km/h and return a decent economy of 18-20 km/l. On one of its service trips, the helpful service personnel at Popular, Madras talked about a revolutionary diesel engine from Maruti that is very “silent” and gives “great mileage”. Took a test drive of the Swift Diesel and the decision was made. The wife felt the Swift looked like a frog and the interiors were dark due to the relatively small rear side windows.

So after 4 years and nearly 82400 km, traded in the Esteem Di and thanks to financing by SBI, the silver Maruti Swift VDi came home with 76 km on the odo in March, 2007. The first batch of the VDi’s did not have the ABS option. A joy to drive and the turbo boost after 2000 rpm gave me a momentary high. For 3 months my neighbor did not know that the Swift was a Diesel.

Fast forward, the daily drives, outstation trips, the move to Bangalore, the Swift VDi was completing 9 years and with all the hoopla surrounding 10 year old diesel vehicles, we felt it was time to look for a replacement. Add to that with a 2.5 year old son, safety and better boot space were the primary concerns. So we had an year to finalize a new car. My wife had made a list of cars she wanted to check out – Ciaz, Elite i20, Jazz, Zest. I was looking for a hatchback / sub 4 m (black interiors preferred), high driving position, hassle free servicing and something which can be easily maneuvered in the Bangalore traffic.

Around last November / December my left knee pains started after each drive involving heavy clutching. Stretches, balms did not help. I even changed my shoes. That is when the whole thought of owning an automatic came up. Searched the used cars. Most of the used ones had 80K km to 1lakhs+ km on their odo.

Alternatives considered

On one of the trips to Pratham for the regular service of my Swift, I asked the SA for a evaluation of my current car and a test drive of the Maruti automatic versions available. The sales personnel were very prompt and immediately evaluated my car and also got the following cars ready :-

Celerio AMT - This was a step down from the Swift. I felt the boot was slightly bigger. The test drive was for 5 km and the driver (the passengers don’t feel it) feels a certain lag when the gears are changed. But... if you time it and take your leg off the accelerator after hitting the right rpm, it is a smooth gear change. I loved the tiptronic option in it which automatically downshifts when the speed is low for a gear. The gear position was nice. Over the potholes and bad roads, the AMT was easy to control without any jerks which in the manual version required clutch control. The seat thickness or the lack of it, fixed front and rear headrests were a letdown. Headroom was limited. The high end variant had ABS and dual airbags. Waiting period of a month.

Wagon R AMT - The seats were firm and better than the Celerio I felt. The boot space was even less. ABS and dual airbags available in the high end version. Waiting period of a month.

Ciaz AT - Very plush and the wife loved it. I found it very boring to drive and without the tiptronic nothing much to look forward to for an exciting drive. Came with ABS and dual airbags. Only 4 speed AT compared to the 5 speed AMT in Celerio and WagonR. Waiting period of a week.

We did not opt for Alto AMT because of the low ingress.

Dzire AT - No ABS or airbags, only 4 speed and I turned down the test drive option. I asked them to inform me when the Dzire ZDi AMT was available for a test drive which they promised. I also made a mental note to test drive the Baleno CVT. The Pratham Nexa was at the other end of town for me and hence this took a backseat.

We went back home, undecided. The next day after picking up our car from service continued the test drives.

Elite Ford, Marthahalli. Ford Aspire DCT - The salesperson was very friendly and patiently answered all our questions. All the 3 test Ford Figo DCT cars had met with accidents during test drives. The salesperson mentioned that it was because the people were not able to handle the DCT cars properly. Not a good sign I thought. The Aspire looks were refreshing and I loved the Aston Martin look grill. The interiors were nice (compared to the Swift). I loved the boot release button, the dock for the phone, they had the indicator and wiper stalks at the right places compared to the Fiesta. The doors did not close with a solid thud, more like with a clang. 15" tires would have been way better. I don't understand why they opted for beige and not black interiors for the Aspire. The test car had a banged rear bumper and we got in for the test drive. Slotted into D, gently pressed the accelerator and the car moved forward. The wife loved the space in the back. The drive was smooth although the gear change in the tiptronic mode was not smooth. Many a time I ended up revving the engine which was heard in the back. I believe it needed to be tuned better. It definitely did not feel refined in the tiptronic mode. The upshift and downshift was a button press, rather than a gear level change like in the AMT and the gear indicator display is shown only in the tiptronic mode. The 6-speed DCT had Stability Program, Traction Control System and Hill Launch Assist. They also gave a fantastic deal on the 2015 models. I told them I will get back. I did not read good reviews of the DCT in the west.

We moved to Tata next - I did not know the dealer name. This is opposite to JP Morgan office. The lady at the reception was very helpful. She was the only one in the showroom. They did not have any test drive cars as it was a Sunday and we sat in the Zest on display. Very comfortable. The waiting period was nearly a month and they charged a premium for white color. The lady took down my number and promised a call during the week - they had to get the Zest AMT test car from their Diary Circle office. (I got a call 3 days after that. When I told the sales person where I stay and my suitable timings for the test drive, he said he will call back in 20 minutes. That is the last I heard from him.)

Post lunch we decided to check out Honda and Hyundai (at Mahadevapura). By this time my 2.5 year old son had become very cranky. We decided to quickly finish it.

The Whitefield Honda was crowded and there was nobody to attend to us when we walked in. After some waiting the salesperson reluctantly came over. He said there was no test drive vehicle of Jazz CVT available. He did not even offer to bring it home for a test drive. The current crop of Honda cars does not look solidly built compared to the earlier generation ones. I wanted my current car evaluated and the evaluator wanted to test drive my car. He revved it to 4000 rpm and I cringed. I had not revved it so high during its entire 9 years. He took it through its paces, dragged it in the top gear, ticked a lot of check boxes in his form and told me he will get back. I was very upset the way he handled my car.

Next stop was Trident Hyundai. The Creta AT was way outside my budget. I had sat in the Verna and felt it was very low. We were left with the i10 twins. Of this the Grand i10 did not have any safety features. It was available only in the i10 Xcent whose proportion I was not comfortable with. The tires were small and a 1.2 L engine for a sedan. The sales lady was gunning for the Xcent and offered a good discount on the 2015 models. I wanted a test drive and got one of the Grand i10. It was small compared to the Swift. The drive was nice and the tiptronic was better to drive than the DCT. The NVH levels were low. The lack of safety features was a letdown.

Skoda
The Skoda Rapid seating very low and my wife / in-laws never found the seats comfortable.

VW
The Dieselgate scandal put me off and hence did not opt for them.

Mahindra
The TUV300 was on my radar but with its heavy weight, 3 cylinder engine and some of the issues reported, I had moved it to the bottom of my list. I love its looks, but the nearest showroom was very far away from my home.

Fiat
Yes, I know they do not have an automatic but what baffles me is that Magneti Marelli being their subsidiary, why didn’t they opt to provide an automatic in their Punto and Linea? Nice cars but very bad roadmap from Fiat.

We were still undecided. The Aspire was tempting of the lot. We still had the Zest XTA AMT, TUV300, Baleno CVT and the just launched Dzire ZDi AMT to test drive.

The brake noise in my Swift came up after few days of service. I called the SA and he asked me to bring it on one of the days. I have never opted for the car pickup and drop for service. Around the same time, the salesperson called me saying they had got the Dzire ZDi AMT test drive car. I told them I will be there on Saturday morning.

During this time I also signed up for a Tata Zest test drive on the Tata website. I did not receive a call from them.

Left the car for service and we got into the ZDi AMT. The interiors were a notch (in fact more than a notch) above my current Swift. For one because of the beige, it was not dark. I loved the Start / Stop button and the fact that I did not have to physically insert the key to open the door or to get it started. Started and the familiar muted clatter of the DDiS was heard. Slotted into D, gently accelerated and the car moved forward. Unlike the Celerio, the lag between gears were not that pronounced. The cabin was well insulated and the suspension felt good (could be because it was a new car). I also checked how it behaves on the incline after stopping it. Did not roll back with 4 adults in it. We also went through a badly potholed road (or rather no road) and the car soaked up the bumps well when we were crawling in the 1st gear. The Swift on the same stretch required greater clutch control and was bumpy. I told the salesperson that I will get back. He also informed me that one consignment of cars are on the way and promised delivery within 10 days.

We checked out the Bimal NEXA on the way. It was packed. Nobody to attend to us. There was a nicely done up S-Cross which was already sold. The Baleno looked good in Red. I was carrying my son and was struggling to open the Baleno boot. The salesperson saw this and I thought he would help. That man just walked away! I went to the reception, and another salesperson feebly said it will take 15 minutes for a test drive. We took the price list and walked out. Very disappointed with the NEXA experience.

On the outer ring road somewhere near Manyata I remember seeing a Tata Motors showroom. We decided to check that out. The display was nice and we were attended to immediately. The salesperson had a Zest XMA test drive car ready. Got into the car and the Zest is very impressive. Nicely laid out controls and interiors. The MID had a lot of information to display. The seating position was nice. The wife said there was a lot of space in the car. That is something about the Tata cars. They squeeze out the space. The passenger seat had a tray for storage under the seat. The engine was the 1.3L from Fiat churning out 89bhp. We went for a test drive and there was a rattle from the meter console. My Swift, nearing 9 years never had that. For a driver, the drive was good. The tiptronic I think was positioned in an opposite manner of the Maruti. It automatically upshifts at the peak rpm in the Manual mode. Not a good sign I felt if you are driving down ghat sections and needed to use clutch control. The wife felt the drive was not as plush and comfortable as the Dzire ZDi AMT. The space was awesome and the interiors just to my liking – black. Like the Ford they offered a good deal on the 2015 XMA. I was looking for the XTA. The waiting period was a month and they wanted my current car immediately.

I forgot to mention that Pratham offered 2.1L for my current drive while all others offered 2L (even that nasty Honda evaluator).

I was torn between both. The wife could not decide either. I felt the time was running out with the insurance renewal, tire changes and the value deprecating. And my knee pain.

“Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t know”, an old adage. Next day went ahead and booked the Dzire ZDi AMT. I opted for Silky Silver.

Booking & delivery experience with the dealership.
I reached the Pratham showroom late on Saturday, 30th January. They were ready with all the papers, including the papers for transfer of ownership for my current car. The True Value team wanted to close the deal before January end. I paid the initial booking account and selected the following accessories :-
1. Black seat covers
2. Black steering cover
3. Reverse parking camera
4. Rear side window retractable blinds (I told them I will confirm on this one later)
5. Under body coating

The delivery was promised in 10 days. The booking process was done in under an hour.

They offered to pick up my Swift VDi on Monday. I still had to sort out the RC card at the KR Puram RTO (the fuel type was mentioned as Petrol instead of Diesel).

Ownership cost of my Swift is here - OwnershipCost.xlsx

Parting shots of my Swift.
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4178.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4176.jpg

For a week I drove my wife’s cousin’s Ford Fiesta TDCi. What an engine and a chiller AC! The following week, it was the BMTC bus and I also got the old RC book sorted . I gave a cheque on 11th February and the car was ready on 12th February. It was a Friday and I could not go and take delivery.

Saturday was THE day. My son fell sick and I ended up going alone to take delivery. The car was parked and ready when I reached. The salesperson with whom I dealt was admitted in the hospital and his team lead took over. I asked them to fit the rear side window blinds and while that was being done, the paper work was sorted, the sales team leader gave me the documents, patiently explained the insurance details and the car manual. Once the car was back after the blinds were fit another representative explained the features in the car while answering all my questions. This was followed by a feedback session with the Pratham customer care executive.

I did a brief PDI. Checked out the VIN number – Jan 2016 manufactured. The paint job was good and no scratches. It had 26 km on the odo and 5L of Diesel. The tank capacity is 42L. The 10 spoke alloys are shod with 185/65/R14 MRF ZVTV while the spare is a 165/65/R14 with a steel rim. The sales team leader said this is in line with the international standards. I feel this is another way to save on costs. The chassis and engine number matched the ones in the insurance and the sales invoice.

I specifically told them not to stick any Pratham stickers on the front and rear windshields which they did not. The plastic number plates were of average quality. Removed the ribbon and I was ready to drive it home!

I would rate 9/10 on the booking and delivery experience.

On-road price & discounts
The on-road price is 10,22628/- I got the following discounts :-
Consumer offer – 15,000
Exchange offer – 15,000
Corporate Discount – 2,100
Along with the above, after deducting the value of my Swift VDi and the booking amount, I paid 7,07052.

I asked them to give the under body coating free, which they did. The 3rd and 4th year extended warranties are a part of the on-road price. The mats and mud flaps were part of the price. I also got a bottle of Sonax car shampoo, glass cleaner, a Ganesha idol and a can of car perfume.

The good and bad about its features

Most of the below features are in comparison to my 9 year old Swift VDi.

Good
- AMT!
- Safety features – ABS and both side airbags
- Keyless entry
- Start/Stop button is convenient
- Internally adjustable ORVM is convenient
- Lane changing indicator
- Driver seat height adjuster
- Steering tilt
- Auto climate control
- Steering mounted ICE controls and Bluetooth connectivity
- Cabin lights in the front and in the center
- Slightly better rear leg room space
- Rear seat center arm rest
- Bottle holders on all the doors
- Fog lamps and the OEM headlights light up better. Better than my Swift
- NVH levels are better than my Swift
- Boot space
- Boot light, there is also a hook
- Thoughtful addition of a pull up string to lift the rear boot tray to access the spare wheel
- The fuel lid is attached to a string and has a slot in the fuel lid over to be placed during fueling
- Reversing sensors are standard

Bad / Improvement
- The wing like projection on the front bumper is bound to get scraped often
- I don’t know if it is just me – but I felt the engine noise a bit louder compared to my Swift when I took delivery of it back in 2007
- The 89bhp Fiat 1.3 engine would have been a welcome addition
- Chrome on the front grill, around the fog lamps and the strip on the boot. Why???
- A ticket holder in the front windshield
- Center rear view mirror should have the rear view camera feature as well
- The frequently abused areas in the car should not be in beige color
- Space in front and back of the hand gear has been wasted. My Swift had cubbyholes here. More cubbyholes for the driver would be welcome
- Rear AC vent would have been a welcome addition
- The rear parcel tray slopes and will not hold anything in position. Very bad design
- A gear lock option? So that during rainy days, the hand brake need not be engaged. I don’t know a workaround for this now

Looks – It has a love it or hate it looks. I am ok with it. I will be spending time driving the car than parking it and staring whole day at it. I felt the first generation Swift looked the best.

Driving experience so far

I have driven it only in the city so far and it has been a breeze to drive. The doors lock automatically once the car crosses a speed of 15km/h. The engine is very refined. The steering wheel is thick and nice to hold. The horn button is in the center and unlike in my Swift VDi, where I could use my thumb to press the horn, I have to use my palm to honk. The standard horn sound is average. Visibility is good. Because of the beige color, the interiors are brighter compared to my Swift VDi. I have not yet paired the Bluetooth with my phone.

The following is the gear/rpm noted in the AMT.
1st gear – 2200 rpm
2nd gear – 2100 rpm
3rd gear – 2000 rpm
4th gear – 1800 rpm
5th gear – 1800 rpm
80km/h came up at 1800 rpm. My manual shifts in my Swift VDi were all under 2000rpm. As I said earlier, the driver feels a bit of lag when the gear up shifts. This is mostly in the initial gears 1-2-3. However if you time it right and take your leg off the accelerator, you don’t feel it. At slow speeds, say going over a speed breaker or at an incline, I feel a one level lower gear should have been selected. In such cases, I move it to the Manual mode and select the gear. The reversing speed definitely need to be slower. Engage R, take the leg off the brake and the car reverses fast. I have to check during service if this can be slowed down. The AMT is a tad slower than the manual version but I have not faced any issues during overtaking or moving through gaps. I have not driven in the complete Manual mode yet as I am still running it in. I do make it a point to shift to Neutral whenever I can in the stop go heavy traffic. It still feels unreal. A couple of instances, I pressed my left foot only to realize the absence of a clutch pedal. The MID displays if you are in the D or the M mode.

The MID indicates a fuel economy of 16 to 17km/l. I go with the tank full to tank full calculation which I have not done yet. I have long drive coming up this week and will be giving it for my first service after that.

There was one thing about the wiper spray in my Swift VDi. When you pull the wiper level towards you for the spray, the wiper comes on first before the spray. If the windshield is dirty and dusty, this ends up causing marks on it. I need to check this in the ZDi AMT.

4 days after taking delivery, I got the RC card by post.

I also got the following done/added at 3M :-

- 3M Paint Sealant
- 3M Nomad Mats – Beige
- Scotchguard Paint Protection Film (On the mirrors, running board, door edges, door handle interiors where scratching occurs due to nails)
- CR 70 film (The RFID tag was removed for this. I have to check with Pratham on how to put it back)

Photos
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4219.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4220.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4226.jpg
The seat height adjuster
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4233.jpg
The boot has a hook and a boot light
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4234.jpg
The engine bay. My Swift had the coolant on the right side of the battery
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4239.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4247.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4250.jpg
The rear window retractable blind
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4254.jpg
Pull up string to lift the rear boot tray to access the spare wheel
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4255.jpg
Fuel lid is attached to a string and has a slot in the fuel lid over to be placed during fueling
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4283.jpg
Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT-dsc_4223.jpg

Last edited by jusgetgoing : 21st February 2016 at 22:21. Reason: No link added for my bike
jusgetgoing is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 22:36   #2
BHPian

Excellent city car! Congrats on the purchase and wishing you many years of happy and safe motoring.

Love the black seat covers. They look classy. In the picture of the dashboard you have taken, is the CR70 installed in the front windshield ?
Old 21st February 2016, 22:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT

Congrats, @jusgetgoing ! AT / AMT's make so much more sense in today's traffic.

Is the The rear window retractable blind OE / aftermarket (from dealer) ? How is it fitted / attached on the lower side ?
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Re: Look ma, no clutch! My Maruti Dzire ZDi AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Love the black seat covers. They look classy. In the picture of the dashboard you have taken, is the CR70 installed in the front windshield ?
Thank you @Mad Max! CR70 had not been installed when the picture of the dashboard was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is the The rear window retractable blind OE / aftermarket (from dealer) ? How is it fitted / attached on the lower side ?
Thank you @condor. It is a MGA from the dealer with a 1 year warranty. It is screwed to the lower side - basically uses nuts and bolts. I did not see the fitting process but I believe holes have to be drilled.
Old 28th February 2016, 10:27   #5
BHPian

The car is back with me after the 1st service. Last week, we did a ~900 km round trip to Kollur. The run in advice helped! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...tml#post413885

Some observations :-
- M is the right mode to run-in the car, not the Automatic mode (D)
- Automatic mode is a lazy mode. Atleast on the plains, the gearbox looks more than keen to settle into 5th gear at 1500 rpm and stay at that. I did not use the Automatic mode in the ghats so cannot comment on it
- On the narrow single lane roads, the M mode is a big help with the overtaking
- In the M mode, the gearbox seems to be more conscious about the slowing down speed (compared to Automatic mode) and automatically down shifts soon
- In the M mode, in the 1st gear, the gearbox does not let you up shift until 2200 rpm is reached
- Couple of times in the M mode, when the car slowed down, I also down shifted at the same time as the gearbox with the result that it shifted down 2 gears
- On an incline, switching to M mode and switching off the engine, locks the car in gear. This is a big relief as the articles I read, all of them talked of using the hand brake only while parking on the incline
- Tank full to tank full method returned a fuel economy of 20 km/l (180 km of this was driving in the city. Remaining was on the highway with 4 adults, 1 child and luggage)
- I talked to the dealer about the RFID tag (which was ripped off during the CR 70 film installation) and they said that is fine. There is no use of the RFID tag currently. There is a future plan for the dealers to scan the RFID tag when the car comes in for service but looks like it remains as a plan only for now

The car has completed 1100 km and the gear box has become smoother after the 1st service. The engine oil and oil filter were changed and I opted for the regular mineral oil.
jusgetgoing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 12:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and thanks for sharing the review. Had been wondering why there has been no reviews of the Dzire Diesel AMT when yours popped up. One would have thought that a diesel AMT version of one of India's top selling car would have generated a big buzz.

Interesting to note that you looked at petrol AT's also and still ended up with the Dzire AMT as the one that suits you best.

Spending a lot of time on M mode sounds a little disappointing. In my view any AT should be capable of handling at least 80-90% of the driving conditions, with the use of manual mode more an exception.

Please do keep updating as you pile on the kilometers.
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Spending a lot of time on M mode sounds a little disappointing. In my view any AT should be capable of handling at least 80-90% of the driving conditions, with the use of manual mode more an exception.

Please do keep updating as you pile on the kilometers.
@Rajeevraj, thank you. I am sure this AMT does handle all the driving conditions. But as I said, during run in hitting all the rpms will not be possible in the Automatic mode. I believe that is the case with any AT.

I love the M mode. I mean, I am so used to physically changing gears and one of the prime reasons I bought this was the pain in my left knee and not a pain in my left hand
Old 20th June 2016, 21:59   #8
BHPian

Hi

I have just returned to Kolkata, from Oman, having driven AT vehicles in all the 11 years that I was there, I just cannot come to terms of driving a MT. At home we have a Zen, Lxi MT, which is a pain to drive. I am 6 feet, 2 inches tall, weigh 115 kgs, the zen is just too puny for my dimensions, that is what has lead to a search for a primary vehicle, the zen to be converted to the secondary ride.

As a child, I learnt driving on a CJ version of the Mahindra (jeep), which had 3 forward gears. The first gear could be engaged only when the vehicle was at standstill, so just two gears to drive with!! Loved the low end torque.

As I grew up, started working, my first car was an Indica DLE, year 2001, which was replaced with an Indica DLS year 2003, I moved to Oman in 2005. Since I was working with the National Sales Company of NISSAN, I have had the opportunity of driving their entire range, from the mightly Patrol / the super fast 370Z / the dream car for all Omani youngsters - the Maxima, to the Civilian (in the petrol and diesel avatars) and the pickups (petrol and diesel avatars). I always derived that personal pleasure when I drove the diesels.

Having moved back to India, I want to purchased a small diesel automatic car - the Maruti Dzire seemed to click all the boxes - just just in reviews, so I logged onto the Maruti website and requested for a test drive. Promptly I was called back, a dealer was assigned who was located closed to my house - Sanei Motors, SE assigned Mr. Sarkar. Sarkar called me up, I specifically mentioned that I was looking at the Dzire Diesel AMT, done sir, I shall bring the car - yes he did, exactly at the appointed time. - FULL MARKS HERE.

Yes, as my Altima 2016 (a company issue vehicle), it had intelligent key (a NISSAN term for start and go), one feature, for me which is a 'must have'. Automatic check, ABS check, front driver and passenger airbag check.

Sat in the car, Sarkar next to be in front and the driver behind. Started the car, impressed with the push button start, adjusted the mirrors, fastened the seat belt, ensured Sarkar too was belted up and started rolling. Took the EM bypass towards Ruby Hospital (I reside at Bidhan Nibas). Loved the way the car accelerated, liked the space as compared to the Zen - yes, this is what I want.

Now the entire test drive takes a flip

ME - Sarkar, I am really liking the drive of the Diesel and AMT combination
Sarkar - No Sir this is a petrol
ME - What, i had requested a test drive of a Diesel AMT
Sarkar - Sir, under INR 20 lakhs, you shall not get any diesel automatic
ME - But the engine is too noise to be on diet petrol
Sarkar - You have come from abroad, you cannot compare international manufacturers with Maruti
Me - quite

At the Science City Junction, we took a u turn, back towards Ultadaga, at the next traffic light, we were the first car to stop. At the turn of green, I floored the accelerator pedal, I was turned on by the acceleration.

Me - A petrol variant cannot accelerate with this fury
Sarkar - Sir, I need to check if it is diesel or petrol
Me - Ok, I shall stop the car, on condition, if this is diesel, I shall drop you here, you walk back to you office, your driver shall sit next to me
Sarkar - Ok sir

I stopped the car, Sarkar went out, checked the badge at the back, came to the passenger door side

Sarkar - Sir, I shall walk back, he told the driver, come in front
Me - No dear, please sit

He was red faced!! I really enjoyed the drive. Initially Sarkar told me the booking amount is INR 5000 (that is when he was insisting it was a petrol), with a clause of INR 250 to be deduced if the booking is cancelled, then he changed his stance, INR 20000 booking non refundable - I was like "no way"!!

Anyway, all said and done, I have called Sarkar again tomorrow, shall drive from Bidhan Nibas to Narendrapur and back - this shall be the acid test.

Advice required - I have the option of buying from Delhi or Kolkata - where shall it be cheaper.

Last edited by bblost : 20th June 2016 at 22:24. Reason: Please do not use ***. That has been replaced by another appropriate word. Thanks.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 14:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Hi
Advice required - I have the option of buying from Delhi or Kolkata - where shall it be cheaper.
Most likely Delhi would be cheaper. Compare on road prices on carwale.com. It isn't exactly legal to drive a vehicle registered in one state permanently in another state. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by sharninder : 24th June 2016 at 14:36. Reason: more info
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 15:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi will be cheaper. You can buy from a Delhi dealer. Get a Temporary Registration done. TR is valid for one month. Within one month, register it in Kolkata by paying WB Tax.

Your selling dealer in Delhi will give you all the necessary documents needed to register the car in Kolkata, once you convey to him your "d'zire" (pun intended) to buy the vehicle on TR
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 21:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Delhi will be cheaper. You can buy from a Delhi dealer. Get a Temporary Registration done. TR is valid for one month. Within one month, register it in Kolkata by paying WB Tax.

Your selling dealer in Delhi will give you all the necessary documents needed to register the car in Kolkata, once you convey to him your "d'zire" (pun intended) to buy the vehicle on TR
Ex showroom price, I have compared the prices on Carewale, about 28K difference. Since I have address proves both at Kolkata and Delhi, I shall prefer a Delhi registration. The car shall primarily be used at Kolkata, but as I see, once in a year, if not two road trips to Delhi.

Yet to decide of town of purchase, but a drive from Delhi to Kolkata sounds and feels exciting!!
Old 24th June 2016, 22:49   #12
BHPian

Take the car in Kolkata due to the 10 year old NGT enforced ban on diesel vehicles. Cost will also be more or less similar. It 5 additional years will be much better for resale value.
Old 25th June 2016, 09:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet to decide of town of purchase, but a drive from Delhi to Kolkata sounds and feels exciting!!
All the best for the purchase! Drive to Kolkata from Delhi & vice - versa is pretty straightforward and dare i say it, in some places, boring !
Be sure to have all your car papers, including the PUC certificate, on hand, as there are frequent checks by cops on the highway, specially in and around Kanpur, and these guardians of the law, tend to become very "creative" at times!!
Happy motoring !!
Old 28th June 2016, 19:00   #14
BHPian

Hi

Pitched two showrooms together, one (Bhandari Motors) offered a sweeter of INR 15000 discount, so decided to go in with them. The SE, (Mithun), told me they have a red in ready stock, but I was more inclined to the blue. Armed with all our documents, my wife and myself headed of to their showroom which is located at Near Kona Express Way, Salap-2, Nibra, Howrah, without realizing its pretty far from Ultadanga. Reached there, Mithin was expecting us, we saw a blue vehicle and a red one, both had come for a service, wife opted for the red colour. Mithun told us that the vehicle was in their yard. We went to the yard, checked the vehicle, two things I noticed

1. odometer showed 75 kms (is this normal)
2. 4 tyres MRF but the stepney JK tornado, one inch smaller tyre mounted on a steel rim

Please advice on this please

Last edited by ALTIMAed : 28th June 2016 at 19:16. Reason: additional information
Old 11th July 2016, 21:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

1. odometer showed 75 kms (is this normal)
2. 4 tyres MRF but the stepney JK tornado, one inch smaller tyre mounted on a steel rim

Please advice on this please
1. 75km is a bit high I feel. Mine had only 26km on the odo.
2. The spare being 1 inch smaller and on a steel rim is normal. But not a different brand. All my tires were MRF.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks