Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:22   #76
BANNED

Re: My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
Service manager informed me that he would replace the intercooler, as soon as the stock arrives.
Wrong approach Doc.
Intercoolers are supposed to cool the compressed air from the turbocharger so that its density increases along with the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

Replacing the intercooler will NOT solve the issue. What needs to be identified is the source of the oil coming into the intercooler, which is the turbocharger, which has a leaking oil seal due to which the oil that is being sent to lubricate the turbo is coming to the intercooler via the intake hose.

Quote:
Any suggestions as to what more can be done?
1PSI per day is not a small leak. The leak could be at various places, the valve stem, the bead of the tire or multiple leaks on the tread. Also, pinpointing a leak is not difficult at any of these places. If water doesn't work, use soap solution made at home and it will pull up the leak.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:31   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

[quote=doc_zeus;4139139] According to the service centre guys, a little oil leak into the intercooler is normal. There was even a guy among them, who told me that engine oil circulates through the intercooler. Intercooler arrives by next week and i'll update as soon as work is done.[/ATTACH]

Bro, please escalate to Tata immediately.

Oil does circulate in the intercooler for lubrication, just in the same way as oil circulates in the engine block. But the oil used for lubrication in the Turbo shouldn't enter the air flow area. That is why you have the Turbo Oil Seal. Changing the intercooler will not help at all, if oil keeps coming into the intercooler.

Due to the EGR valve a little bit of oil may make it's way into the turbo intake, but most of it should be caught the oil seperator that sits in between the engine and the intake. It is NOT NORMAL at all for an intercooler to drip oil.
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:02   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Oil does circulate in the intercooler for lubrication, just in the same way as oil circulates in the engine block.
The intercooler doesn't have any moving parts and requires NO lubrication whatsoever. There isn't supposed to be any oil in it.

Whatever little oil comes there is, like you said a result of the plumbing from the EGR and, in this case, most likely, a faulty turbo. A few cars have something called a PCV valve which connects to the air intake to ensure that the crankcase and the rockers get fresh air and during this "breathing", the PCV might send some oil mist or droplets to the intercooler, that is all.
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Bro, please escalate to Tata immediately.

Oil does circulate in the intercooler for lubrication, just in the same way as oil circulates in the engine block. But the oil used for lubrication in the Turbo shouldn't enter the air flow area. That is why you have the Turbo Oil Seal. Changing the intercooler will not help at all, if oil keeps coming into the intercooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The intercooler doesn't have any moving parts and requires NO lubrication whatsoever. There isn't supposed to be any oil in it.

Whatever little oil comes there is, like you said a result of the plumbing from the EGR and, in this case, most likely, a faulty turbo. A few cars have something called a PCV valve which connects to the air intake to ensure that the crankcase and the rockers get fresh air and during this "breathing", the PCV might send some oil mist or droplets to the intercooler, that is all.
This is what one mechanic told me, that the little oil leak might be from the PCV and is normal. I insisted the service manager to check for the turbo, as oil in intercooler is most likely as a result of blown turbo oil seals. I'm not having any loss of boost or any smoke from exhaust etc that's why I was not sure it's the turbo. Anyways I'll make them check the turbo before replacing the intercooler. If any oil on the compressor side of turbo I'll get them to change the turbo.

Any idea whether over-filling of engine oil than recommended, can result in oil leak from turbo seals? I observed this leak after the third service and it looks like the oil leak is getting slowed down now.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks a lot for your support.
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:44   #80
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not having any loss of boost or any smoke from exhaust etc that's why I was not sure it's the turbo.
Any idea whether over-filling of engine oil than recommended, can result in oil leak from turbo seals?
Depends on which side of the turbo leaks oil. Black smoke is also caused when the turbo leaks oil from the exhaust side. Put a finger into your tail pipe and check for wetness/oil stains when the vehicle has been parked overnight.

PS: Dont get weird thoughts Doc..!!

Overfilling of engine oil can indeed result in leaks at a lot of places including turbo oil seals. Overfilling is also something a lot service centres tend to overlook a lot of times. Have you checked the oil levels in a cold engine and warm? If not, please do it asap.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:27   #81
KMT
BHPian

Quite a few new diesels have the crankcase breather plumbed (in one form or another) back into the inlet manifold.

This causes a bit of oil ingress into the intercooler, nothing too serious I reckon.

On the flip side, the intercooler is not 'meant' to have oil in it and prolonged oil accumulation will adversely affect its throughput of cool air.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 20:15   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sorry, I meant Turbo not Intercooler.
Old 4th February 2017, 22:19   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Put a finger into your tail pipe and check for wetness/oil stains when the vehicle has been parked overnight.Have you checked the oil levels in a cold engine and warm? If not, please do it asap.
Checked the tail pipe and engine oil level after overnight parking. No trace of oil at all, only little soot. I could only check for the oil level on cold engine today. Cleaned the engine oil dipstick and re-inserted it. The oil level crossed the maximum mark. The first pic is the cleaned up dipstick for reference. I've marked the point in the second picture, till where the oil touched the dipstick. Tomorrow i'll check the oil level in warm engine and let you know. In the warmed engine, doesn't the oil level might be even more as oil gets heated up?
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20170204_180508.jpg

My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20170204_180556.jpg
Old 4th February 2017, 23:34   #84
BANNED

Quote:
I've marked the point in the second picture, till where the oil touched the dipstick.
The oil has definitely been overfilled Doc.

Take it to the ASC and have them drain the extra oil immediately before it affects the other parts.

How callous can they be.

This is a clear sign of carelessness by the service personnel.
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:56   #85
BANNED

Quote:
I'll keep you updated. Thanks a lot for your support.
Any update? Has the issue been resolved? More importantly has the root cause been found?
Old 23rd February 2017, 23:55   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Any update? Has the issue been resolved? More importantly has the root cause been found?
Got the Storme back from the service center. Stayed with the vehicle the whole time. They replaced the intercooler. The Service center didn't have it in stock and that's the reason for the delay in updating. The oil leak has reduced a lot compared to earlier. But since there was oil leak, there might also be leak of the compressed air from the intercooler hose coming from the turbo. Checked all other hoses no signs of oil deposition anywhere. Even the insides of the intercooler were very clean.
Most likely the oil leaked from the overfilled engine oil, which might have leaked from the turbo oil seals due to higher oil pressure. This was the explanation given by service manager. Any chance this might be true?

Performance wise I don't feel much difference, but I'm feeling FE has improved a lot.

The air leak issue was also resolved. Checked the tire multiple times, but the leak was from external TPMS sensor fitted over the valve, which got loose from the inside. Tightened it and no air leak at all.

Last edited by doc_zeus : 23rd February 2017 at 23:58.
Old 24th February 2017, 00:42   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Most likely the oil leaked from the overfilled engine oil, which might have leaked from the turbo oil seals due to higher oil pressure. This was the explanation given by service manager. Any chance this might be true?
Yes, quite possible.

Good to know that the other components were not affected. In future, please make sure they fill all oils ONLY to the recommended OEM levels. It is mistakes like these that reduce vehicle life and customer satisfaction significantly.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:05   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I could only check for the oil level on cold engine today. Cleaned the engine oil dipstick and re-inserted it. The oil level crossed the maximum mark.
Quote:
The oil has definitely been overfilled Doc.
Got my car serviced yesterday. Oil level, before service, for me too was at the same position as in doc's car. I thought that it may have been overfilled at the factory (this was my car's 2nd service and first oil change). But new oil was filled to the same level! SA confirmed that suggested amount of 7.5 liters was filled, and not more. What is incorrect now? The company recommendation of 7.5 liter engine oil or the dipstick?
Old 8th March 2017, 12:29   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
What is incorrect now? The company recommendation of 7.5 liter engine oil or the dipstick?
Tata never ceases to make you learn...!!!

Now, I'd recommend the following:

1. The dipstick is the most accurate measure of any engine's fuel level and hence start by filling 6 litres and measure the dipstick level. Fill incremental oil in 500ml measures till it reaches the mid point between min and max. How much oil does it take?

2. Once the engine warms up to its operating temperature, check oil level again by the dipstick. It should be at the max mark and not more than that.

I know it sounds like a college lab exercise but is worth the effort and time.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
The dipstick is the most accurate measure of any engine's fuel level
Ideally that should be the case. But practically, since company and service centers have been filling 7.5 liters for long, that would be correct. Not many would be checking dipstick. But still, it does not absolve the company of this blunder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks