Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:06   #76
BHPian

re: Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
So got the car back on 26th April. Compressor was replaced under warranty, checked the AC for few mins and it seems to be working fine. There was a scratch on the climate control panel, showed this to the SA and he called the manager, who took few pics and told that they will replace it.
Driving a FIAT is fun, but owning one is a pain. Along with premature part failures, like your compressor (which can blow a huge hole in the pocket post warranty), the lack of skills and interest of the SVC mechanics make things much worse. After I had got the engine mount on my T-Jet replaced, I had found a bolt from the engine area sitting freely near the engine oil cap one day!

Also, till date, I have never got a feedback call from the company after service. The people who are most likely to upgrade to Jeep are the existing FIAT owners and the company doesn't even bother to keep the small number of them decently happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
FIAT India time & again proves their commitment towards this market which is neglecting them so badly. A plain Baleno service would cost similar compare to this beast !!
Did your Aspire service costs not match with the costs shown on the website? I'm asking as the Ford's spares are much cheaper. E.g: Air filter cost: 800 vs 320. With FIATs, Alloy wheels cost 10k+ each. AC blower motor costs 5k etc.

Things get much worse when it comes to T-Jet specific spares as most of them are imported. A set of 4 spark plugs costs 3.5k .

Last edited by theredliner : 2nd May 2019 at 12:09.
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:06   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner
Did your Aspire service costs not match with the costs shown on the website?
Well mine was little less than 5k for 20k service & following things were done as per Ford Schedule plus my request. Total cost was well within their service promise.

Engine Oil / Oil Filter / Air Filter / Cabin Filter / Sump Plug Gasket / Break Oil Replacement / Full Paid Service along with bit of fluids (coolant) top up.

Now compare to Abarth Punto 20k service, prices are almost same overall, he paid close to 2k extra but that includes coolant / power steering fluid flash & some more extra work. Had he done the same list of work as I have done, I guess his charges would have been identical as mine. That is what I meant

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2019, 05:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
very unprofessional, but this is only service center in chennai now.
Please don't hand over the car to RDC ever again. Such carelessness is unacceptable. You'd rather have them source the part for you and get the car attended to at Bosch or some place else. If you have the time, drive to Salem.

You must inform FCA about this incident.
Old 6th May 2019, 16:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
This is a common problem with so many service stations or even road side local mechanics..........!
Ya i consider myself lucky, it could have ended far worst for me. But this kind of negligence from the service centre is unacceptable.

Service cost if very decent for this car, few spare parts like spark plug, brake pads, AC compressor are very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Sorry to read about these issues, I think Ramkway was working out better the last few years. Did you go back and talk to the SA ?
Ya ramkay was much better. I did complain to Fiat and they have called few times to sort out other issues, wondering if i should go there or not. New Fiat service centre has come up in chennai. got below SMS couple of days back.

Quote:
Dear FIAT customer,

Greetings from VTK Automobiles, Chennai !!

We take this opportunity to inform you that, FCA is opening a new workshop at Kattupakkam - VTK Fiat on 7th May 2019, For Appointments Contact - 9384005538, 9384005539

Happy Motoring !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Driving a FIAT is fun, but owning one is a pain. Along with premature part failures, like your compressor .......
Sure it is a PITA to own! you enjoy driving the car but the day something goes wrong you will curse youself for buying a fiat

I get feedback call after each visit, mostly they follow up and resolve the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Please don't hand over the car to RDC ever again. Such carelessness is unacceptable ......
Ya, i will not be going back there again, had visited them after 5-6 years, last vist was in Palio. I have complained to FCA and they have asked to come back so they can resolve rest of the issues. Wondering if i should go back or not, although new service centre is ready in chennai. RDC has also called up few times after the complain.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 11:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Another feather in RDC's cap. I went on 1400kms highway drive and car performed great!

While coming back i noticed rattling sound from engine compartment in last 50kms. I thought engine guard might be loose, tried looking below the car and found this plastic thing dangling from the engine guard, I just touched it and it fell off.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-1.jpeg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-2.jpeg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-3.jpeg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-4.jpeg

Someone told me its the alternator belt protection. I am assuming RDC again left it loose after changing the AC compressor belt ? Really hopeless situation. I am not sure what else they have messed up while changing the AC compressor
Rahulkool is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Took the car to RDC again for rectifying all the issues. The AC display was replaced and Alternator belt protection cover also installed. The whole thing took about 3 hours time. The service manager was very apologetic about the whole issue. Still they did not had the front/back logos which i asked to replace under warranty and front side bumper sticker which is torn. They have told they will arrange the same at home/work once it arrives, i dont have to visit the service center. I requested them to clean the car and that was also done.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 14:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to update the battery replacement. I didnt used the car for 15 days in oct 2018, when i got back and tried starting the car it was completely dead, even the central locking was not working. Car was giving airbag error + few more errors for 2 months, so i knew i had to change the battery. Enquired in few shops and managed to get Exide DIN50 battery for rs5100 after exchange of the old battery. This one came with 2 years warranty and 2 more years of Pro rata warranty. I changed the battery myself.

Old battery
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_5895.jpg

Removed from car
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0552.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_9044.jpg

New battery
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_4734.jpg

Ready to be installed
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_1222.jpg

After installation
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7003.jpg

After the change i got engine check light in the MID, it went away after few kms of drive.
Old 4th July 2019, 17:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Received the right side bumper sticker few days back, as promised the service manager delivered it to my home. Price of the sticker is 289rs. Made a mistake of applying it on my own and messed it up

Condition of the sticker, thanks to some two wheeler guy.

Peeled it off.

Cleaned it with WD40

After cleaning.

After wash.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-5.jpeg

Sticker comes with guide tabs and should be straight forward to install. After installation there were some small bubbles and i made a mistake of peeling off one portion of sticker to remove the bubbles, just like you do on mobile scratch protectors, but this sticker is made of vinyl and got stretched and deformed, still managed to apply it back with some folds and creases.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-6.jpeg

After application, it looks fine from this distance
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-7.jpeg

Received the front and back logos also, these were arranged under warranty as original logos are chipped and faded. Will get these clear coated and install later. Price of these logos is a shocker, 1st one is 8855rs and 2nd 8990rs. I am not sure which one is for front and back, as it was not mentioned on the box.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-8.jpeg
Old 30th January 2020, 14:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

Not much of updates on the car, have to give it for annual service soon. I have done 33k kms, 8k kms since the last service. The only service center in chennai VTK, its around 30kms from my home so i want to make sure that all parts are available before handing over the car.

Meanwhile reversed into another cars open rear door. It was completely my mistake as i had parked the other car too. After parking i got into my car to reverse and didnt realise that someone had opened the rear door of other car. There was very little gap between my car and wall on the driver side so i was concentrating on that and bam. The car i hit was facing the other side and its rear door edge hit my cars rear quarter panel and the hatch door. There was dent but no scratch and luckily no damage to the other car.

Here how it looked after the hit
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20200130-14.21.06.jpeg

I called couple of paintless dent repair shops but nobody was interested in such small work.

Then thought of trying the DIY, removed the hatch door pad and both dents were accessible but the quarter panel was really difficult to access as it was curved and the access was really small and panel had really sharp edges.

Tried pulling it out with the dent repair took, it did 40-50% of work.

Dent repair tool.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20200130-14.22.09.jpeg

Then by using the handle of the rubber mallet, pushed the dent back in shape, like using a lever. It was really difficult but managed to fix most of it. Lots of bruises and cuts in hand, tried using a glove but due to very small space, couldn't grip the wooden handle properly.

The rear hatch dent was relatively easy one but i foolishly tried using metal tool and it left sharp marks. I removed most of those by hitting slowly with rubber mallet and keeping a wooden block behind. It looks much better now.

After all the work done, but i have to admit that you can see still see the dent and undulations in person. Camera image it looks much much better.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20200130-14.21.07-1.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20200130-14.21.07-2.jpeg  

Rahulkool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 15:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Done with 5th Paid service on 26th Feb 2020 @ 33588kms, 8678kms after last service.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7932.jpg

Visited VTK Fiat, The only service center in chennai for Fiat and Jeep. The service center is also very small, when compared to Ramkay Fiat, which is closed now.

As the service center is far from my home, i had asked and taken appointment if only i can get the car back same day. The SA available in the morning refused to return the car same day, even for regular service due to rush.

After some requests and arguments he agreed for the same. Car was taken in around 9:30 in the morning for express service, at least thats what the service bay said.

While changing the oil, they discovered that oild drain plug was held in place with some adhesive. The drain plug was slipping and will leak. The mechanic showed it too me, only solution was to replace the oil sump. Luckily they had oil sump in stock. I asked them to change it, this must be done by ramkay in last service, there was a issue with oil leak, which i thought was because of the drain plug washer but they had actually over tighten the drain plug and damaged the threads on oil sump.

Damaged threads on the oil sump.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7937.jpg

Due to this issue now SA said that they can deliver the car only the next day, still i stayed back. It took good 3-4 hours for replacing the oil sump and then the sealant will take at least 8 hours to cure.

Old sump removed.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7940.jpg

Surface cleaned.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7942.jpg

New oil sump.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7938.jpg

Sealant used.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7939.jpg

After installation.
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_7945.jpg

Collected the car next day around 6PM in the evening.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0155.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0157.jpg

Following work was done
Engine oil - Selenia K synthetic oil was not available, they had only petronas which was double the price
Engine oil filter
Air filter
Cabin Filter
Power steering oil
Gear oil
Oil sump
Total bill was 18188/-
Rahulkool is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Lockdown has given ample time to detail the car, When the lockdown started i was cleaning the engine bay and noticed battery water leaking

Upon inspection i noticed that battery was overfilled, its a relatively new maintenance free battery, i don't think it required to be filled with distilled water. i am sure its done by the service center as i have never given my car anywhere else. Anyways decided to remove everything including the battery tray and clean properly, it was not like i can use the car anyway.

Traces of leak
Name:  1.png
Views: 878
Size:  334.1 KB

Removed the battery, you can see its leaking all over the place, i could see liquid drops on the sides, its not clear in the pic.
Name:  2.png
Views: 894
Size:  497.2 KB

Name:  3.png
Views: 907
Size:  747.3 KB

Removed the liquid with the syringe

Name:  4.png
Views: 905
Size:  563.0 KB

Pic of the water level was not clear, this is after removed lots of water, at least 150-200ml. Earlier level was till the inside red ring.
Name:  5.png
Views: 925
Size:  365.5 KB

Removed and cleaned the battery tray.
Name:  6.png
Views: 912
Size:  462.7 KB

Added insulation to some wires also.
Name:  7.png
Views: 921
Size:  471.5 KB

Name:  8.png
Views: 896
Size:  289.0 KB

Cleaned the terminal properly. You can see how the head of the water plugs are damaged, because someone used a screwdriver to remove them. I used a 5rs coin and it did not leave any damage.
Name:  9.png
Views: 891
Size:  441.6 KB

All done
Name:  10.png
Views: 886
Size:  456.9 KB
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Cleaned and clayed the whole car, pics after waxing.

After claying the bonnet and roof, sides were relatively clean.
Name:  Screenshot 20200504 at 9.46.39 PM.png
Views: 909
Size:  372.4 KB

After waxing
Name:  Screenshot 20200504 at 9.35.25 PM.png
Views: 898
Size:  386.6 KB

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-screenshot-20200504-9.34.52-pm.png

Name:  Screenshot 20200504 at 9.34.44 PM.png
Views: 932
Size:  369.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20200504 at 9.49.02 PM.png
Views: 907
Size:  578.1 KB
Rahulkool is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 21:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Time for another battery change. Battery just died one fine morning without any warning. Although car gave airbag error couple of times in last 1 month but i thought this is because low usage. Anyway took the battery to the dealer i bought it from, they tested it and told its completely dead. Battery had 24 months full warranty but unfortunately for me it was 29th month. They gave 45% discount on the new battery. I wanted to get Amaron this time but then i would lose the 45% discount. Got the same exide for 3900rs after discounts.

Again fixed it myself.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20210321-9.35.50-pm.jpeg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20210321-9.35.50-pm-1.jpeg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-whatsapp-image-20210321-9.35.51-pm.jpeg

Car is also making khat-khat noise while going through broken tarmac. Took it to the service center. Their diagnosis is lower arm or front suspension. Told them to order the parts and its expected next week. If that does not solve the issue then need to look in to steering rack
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 23:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Its been a while since i updated the thread. Gave the car for 6th regular service on 5th April 2021 @ 36824kms. Running was very less due to lockdowns.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0800.jpg

Front suspension noise was bothering me so i thought of getting the service done too, almost all of the front suspension was changed including front suspension lower arm, swing arm, top mount etc. The noise was sorted out.

I wanted to get the windscreen also changed as there was a small crack on the windscreen from a stone hit on highway.

I had ordered the linea center console from another FCA service center in Mumbai. These guys agreed to fix the same. Handed over all the spares to them. I tried doing a DIY for fixing it but the main metal frame holding the center console was riveted to chassis, i didn't had rivet gun so fixing the new frame was not possible. I though of buying a rivet gun but couldn't make myself again go through the process of removing center console again.

Minor service + Center console fixing + Suspension work was rs30792/-
Wheel alignment, perfume and windscreen washer liquid was added without informing me, they told it will rectified in next service.

Total cost for center armrest parts rs 5921/-

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-6.jpg

Windscreen replacement was rs9542/-

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-5.jpg

Total cost - rs46255/-

Some pics of the center armrest. upholstery needs to be done to match the interiors.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0840.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0841.jpg

Did waxing after the service.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0843.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0842.jpg
Rahulkool is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Got the tyres replaced in Dec 2021, car had done around 40k kms in 5 years. There was another 5-8k worth of thread left on the tyres but there were lots of micro cracks on the surface. I had a highway trip coming up so didn't wanted to take any chances. Changed from p3st to p4st. Wanted to try ps4 but, now noise on highway matters more to me than outright grip and few people using ps4 suggested that it is much noisier than p4st.

Got the tyres at Tyrestore, chennai. As always great service by tyrestore. will really suggest them if you are looking for anything related to wheels. Their prices are competitive and sufficient space to park several cars. Balancing and alignment equipment are also of very good quality.

http://tyrestore.in/contactus.asp

Old tyres
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-2.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-6.jpg

Installation in progress
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-3.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-5.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-4.jpg

Alignment and balancing
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-7.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-8.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-9.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-tyre-1.jpg

Changed the rear wiper rubber as well. Bought just the rubber part from amazon and fixed it. It has sufficient length left to replace even the front ones. Good quality product, in case you want order then link is below.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07DNQ6WG6/

Replacing the rear one was very straight forward. changed rubber of the front wiper in my friend's punto and it was little tough to remove the old rubber from the frame, But once you know the technique its simple enough.

old vs ne
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-wiper-2.jpg

mounted on the frame
Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-wiper-1.jpg

I was fed up of cleaning the side skirts. There are no mud flaps from Fiat for Abarth. Regular punto mud flaps wont fit on the front due to side skirts. One friend having avventura suggested to use the avventura mud flaps. Ordered and got them in about 15 days. Fitted myself. there is slight gap on the sides because avventure comes with bigger side plastic moulding.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-mud_flap-2.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-mud_flap-5.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-mud_flap-3.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-mud_flap-4.jpg

Passenger side brake lamp bulb was blown. Got a replacement osram bulb and changed it. Strangely my palio also had same bulb blown in about the same time in the ownership.

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-bulb-4.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-bulb-3.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-bulb-2.jpg

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-bulb-1.jpg

Similar DIY pic of my Palio

Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 42,500 km up-img_0015.jpg

Last edited by Rahulkool : 20th February 2022 at 13:00.
Rahulkool is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks