Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2006, 16:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

1) Pete's box in Verna? I thought Pete's box is when teh engine's detuned!
2) My sales guy was a TBHPian and hence he was askign me to have fun!
3) For teh first time, I saw sales personal taking less to a customer. Here at Tvm they give the keys to customer and ask then, they(customers) begins to talk!
4) The fabric material did indeed look great for the Crdi
5) White car looks smaller, Maroon looks bigger
6) You guys forgot the 30sec time you have for opening/closing teh windows after you take the keyout
7) and the "Max AC" or was it "Max Cooling" Option on the AC dial.
8) And how the AC circulation changes to Recycle in some setting automatically.
9) And it had hand rest at frnt and rear (I think it has, forgot)
10) It can take bottles even for rear seat door pods (forgot to check,but thats what the sales guy told me)
11) 7.85 lac on road at Tvm. Add 20k extra for ABS
Old 9th October 2006, 14:12   #32

Nice review Tanveer.
I did a TD yesterday and I got shocked with the power performance it gave me compared to the Lancer petrol I own. Did some tests on the braking too. The tire got locked and I could see 3 mts of black line behind me, but was straight.Couldn't feel any fish tailing.

I heared the tyres are coming as tubless and the chrome plating in the back is also body color. is that right?
Old 9th October 2006, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Hi Pradeep, any idea whether they provide tubeless tyres for the diesel version also? I really hope they have provided tubeless for both petrol and diesel versions.
Old 9th October 2006, 14:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nice review - very informative!

Could you elaborate on "the car had PDI done and speedo disconnected" ?
Jeez........ Is this a standard practice?
Old 9th October 2006, 15:05   #35
Team-BHP Support

Many dealerships do not buy enough demo cars. So they use "Cars meant to be sold" as test drive cars. To fool the buyer they disconnect the odo, otherwise the buyer will scream about high usage.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

I guess the test dirve cars would haev the sticker of galloping horses on its side. I remember watching the speedo move over 80kmph but didnt check timing nor did check the max speed in each gear.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has upped the game with this engine... i hope FIAT will come out with goods soon.
Fiat, how abt a grande punto 1.9 JTDI GTX with 130 BHP on tap...
Old 9th October 2006, 17:16   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
The title actually gave me different ideas.Fantastic man.
me too.... I thought you hated the car or something...

And nice review !!

But the exterior is not to my taste....It looks BAD to me...not just ok or something.
Old 11th October 2006, 19:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to drive both petrol and diesel version. Very much impressed with the diesel version. Great pick up. Steering is very responsive and light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Looks
Its not ugly. Its no beauty contest winner either. Normal looking. But then its all subjective.
Any idea why there is a slight upward curve at the end of the dicky door?

Quote:
accent(crdi costs 25000 less than the verna, which is surprising, who in their right minds would buy crdi now, unless given a hefty discount).
There is a cash discount of Rs.50K & another 10k if you're a existing hyundai customer on Accent CRDI.

Quote:
As for legroom, with seat fully back I cant drive this, I have to move it a little forward, and considering I am 6'2" this is really good
Sitting in the back seat you cannot put your feets under the front seats to create more room & relax your legs on longer runs.
Old 24th October 2006, 05:07   #40
BHPian

guys this is an amazing car, pick up of a petrol and avg of a deisel .well very confused which colour suits the car ?
Old 28th October 2006, 15:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Today finally after lots of arguement with the dealer(he is the worst dealer of the millenium) got the car for test drive.

Intial impressions the car has lots of turbo lag and the turbo kicks in around 2000 and then your gone. The torque of the car is amazing, awesome, addictive. It just rockets off once you above 2000RPM.

Braking - The car i test drove did not have ABS, however the braking is very good for a non ABS car. It stopped very well. Standing on the brakes led to a lock up which caused a lot of smoke.

Handling - Is good, but not great. The steering is Electronic and gives no feel at all at low speeds. Its very light and becomes heavier once your upto speed.

Equipment - Totally plane and drane. Nothing what so ever, which makes this car not a VFM proposition.

Interiors - The front seat is not great. There is not enough space. I am talking from a perspective of my height. Rear seat is not as good as the City.

Ride - Is very good at low speeds.

Performance is faboulous. Full marks to hyundia for it.

FE - Expected is around 15 is quite good.

Now the question is:- at 8.4L(with ABS) OTR is it worth it.

Just add a few essentials to that list:-

15inch Alloys with 205 rubber - 40k
Music System - 20k
Petes Tunnig Box - 30k
Sparco Seats(since the front seats are not comfortable nor height adjustable) - 20k
Internally adjustable rear view mirrors - 5k
Cotton Green Filter - 5k
Free Flow - 10k
Woodgrain interiors - 2k
And that will cost you 9.7L at which price you have a very fast oil burner. A TDi costs 11L(w/o ABS) has less space, less power, less torque. But similarly you can get a Elantra CRDi for 9.7L. So overall its quite confusing but i would pick the Verna anyday.
Old 28th October 2006, 15:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Today finally after lots of arguement with the dealer(he is the worst dealer of the millenium) got the car for test drive.

Intial impressions the car has lots of turbo lag and the turbo kicks in around 2000 and then your gone. The torque of the car is amazing, awesome, addictive. It just rockets off once you above 2000RPM.

Braking - The car i test drove did not have ABS, however the braking is very good for a non ABS car. It stopped very well. Standing on the brakes led to a lock up which caused a lot of smoke.

Handling - Is good, but not great. The steering is Electronic and gives no feel at all at low speeds. Its very light and becomes heavier once your upto speed.

Equipment - Totally plane and drane. Nothing what so ever, which makes this car not a VFM proposition.

Interiors - The front seat is not great. There is not enough space. I am talking from a perspective of my height. Rear seat is not as good as the City.

Ride - Is very good at low speeds.

Performance is faboulous. Full marks to hyundia for it.

FE - Expected is around 15 is quite good.

Now the question is:- at 8.4L(with ABS) OTR is it worth it.

Just add a few essentials to that list:-

15inch Alloys with 205 rubber - 40k
Music System - 20k
Petes Tunnig Box - 30k
Sparco Seats(since the front seats are not comfortable nor height adjustable) - 20k
Internally adjustable rear view mirrors - 5k
Cotton Green Filter - 5k
Free Flow - 10k
Woodgrain interiors - 2k
And that will cost you 9.7L at which price you have a very fast oil burner. A TDi costs 11L(w/o ABS) has less space, less power, less torque. But similarly you can get a Elantra CRDi for 9.7L. So overall its quite confusing but i would pick the Verna anyday.
Was waiting for a review like this from a senior bhpian. A very good review and in fact every single point you've mentioned is true. I have a few questions. Regarding the tuurbo lag is it present in the Octavia 1.9 TDi? I've been said by one Octavia owner that it does have the turbo lag too. Is it in fact a problem in every modern diesel cars?

The FE given by Autocar for Verna CRDi is 12+ in city and 16.8 in highway. So the average of 15 is very much close to that.

Did you drive the petrol verna? I'm also awaiting some reviews on that.
Old 28th October 2006, 17:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanx adarsh76.

Yes even the Octavia 1.9TDi has turbolag. All turbocharged cars suffer from this turbolag. However i thought with VGT(Variable Geometry Turbine) all turbolag has been eliminated but its not true. An ideal way to drive is to revv the car to 2000RPM and then release the clutch. In this way you will be in the turboband but sadly you will wheelspin.

However the noise of the blow of valve, turbo and wastegate on lifting off the accelerator is addictive. The noise of the car is awesome. Even on lifting off the accelerator the car still surges ahead. After 10kms of very hard revlining drive, handbrake turns, locking on tyres, there was no smell from anywhere of the car.

The car is very good for handbrake turns. Tried two of them and car drifted very well.

Also i would like to mention i didnot like the gearbox, it was very notchy and engaging gears smoothly is very difficult. The Honda City is miles ahead of the AVEO as well as the Verna in this aspect. Cant say about the Fiesta as i have never driven it.

Hyundias claim of Verna having more space then the Honda Civic is really very stupid, the Civic is much more roomier, handles better.

The waiting period for the Verna VGT CRDi w/o ABS is 2 weeks and with ABS it is 2 months.

Just cant wait for the Elantra/Embera VGT CRDi.

I would advice all those buying the Verna VGT to upgrade to fatter rubber, this car has alot of potential.

Did not drive the Verna petrol as i was too floored by the CRDi did not want to end the test drive on a dissapointing note

Edit – I forgot to add to the list of essentials Climate Control and Security System.[COLOR=black][/COLOR]

Last edited by BUSA : 28th October 2006 at 17:09.
Old 28th October 2006, 18:14   #44

Airfoil: ABS is an option, though I am not sure about the airbags.

Folks: I did a TD today and the reviews given here match with my experience. Good review guys.

Mumbaikar..
Old 28th October 2006, 20:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Also i would like to mention i didnot like the gearbox, it was very notchy and engaging gears smoothly is very difficult. The Honda City is miles ahead of the AVEO as well as the Verna in this aspect. Cant say about the Fiesta as i have never driven it.

Hyundias claim of Verna having more space then the Honda Civic is really very stupid, the Civic is much more roomier, handles better.
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
Speaking of gearshifts are you telling about gear ratios or engaging gears? Gear ratios are not good in Accent compared to City and Ikon but engaging gears is quite easy. I havent faced any trouble in shifting gears so far in my accent. Yes, the City's gear ratios are very good and thats what makes it a good city car. Ikon's not bad either.

Did hyundai ever claim that Verna has more space than Civic? Never seen any ad like that till now. But if they've done it it's ofcourse stupidity. Honda Civic is a different segment.

Speaking of Sonata CRDi its have a torque of 31 kgm as per Autocar. Forgot the bhp figures. It's available in Autocar October edition.

Most Viewed