Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 22:28   #61
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!

Gentlemen, here is the latest update in fixing the wires that were cut over the weekend due to the rat bite issue.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4534.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4535.jpg

As advised by fellow bhpians last night, it was indeed the MAF sensor wires. The OBD scanner showed only one error which was cleared by the technician. As a precautionary measure, I was advised NOT to stay closer to the vehicle since it was electrical work that was happening. Once the wiring work was completed, the technician was kind enough to put a metal sleeve around the exposed wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If possible do find out the cost of that MAF sensor, it's Bosch : Made in Germany.
Checked with spares team and it costs about Rs.4000/-

Since this is the preferred service center and located 18 kms away from home also got the 3rd service done with 9203 KMs on the ODO.

All usual things listed in the manual were performed like
  • Engine oil and oil filter replacement
  • Cabin filter replaced with a new element
  • Air filter cleaning
  • Caliper pin greasing
  • HU Software update to the latest version
  • Top up of essential fluids
  • Interior cleaning & Exterior wash
  • Tyre rotation (4 Wheels)
  • Nitrogen top-up
  • Wheel alignment was done at Madhus

Service Bill at Pratham Motors - Rs.3922/- including taxes
Wheel alignment @ Madhus - Rs. 410/- including taxes
Total expense for 3rd service - Rs.4332/-

Some work in progress pics at Pratham Service Center, HSR Extension

Where is Oil filter
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-where-oil-filter.jpg

Can you see shiny top in black?
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-shiny-top-oil-filter.jpg

Replaced Finally
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-oil-filter-replaced-finally.jpg

Oil filter MGP part number & cost
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-oil-filter-part-number-cost.jpg

Hungry Kya
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-hungry-kya.jpg

Slurrpp
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-slurrpp.jpg

Sucked till last drop
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-sucked-till-last-drop.jpg

Air filter cleaning in progress
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-air-filter-being-cleaned.jpg

After cleaning effect front
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-clean-airfilter-front.jpg

After cleaning effect back
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-clean-airfilter-back.jpg

After a sumptuous meal and a good shower this is how tusker looks

Happyhealthyme
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4547_m.jpg

Changes noticed post service :

The engine feels quite coarse compared to the pre-service engine sound that I'm used to. I don't think this is normal - Any thoughts on this?

The brake pedal travel has increased post caliper greasing resulting in reduced breaking efficiency. Should I wait for some more days before jumping the guns?

Last edited by Keynote : 4th April 2017 at 22:34.
Keynote is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 22:42   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Once the wiring work was completed, the technician was kind enough to put a metal sleeve around the exposed wires.
Nice job, Neat. Do remember that there is a metal sleeve around when cleaning out fiddling around else you know the results.

Quote:
The engine feels quite coarse compared to the pre-service engine sound that I'm used to.
How much distance have you driven post service?

Quote:
The brake pedal travel has increased post caliper greasing resulting in reduced breaking efficiency.
Have they bled the brakes? Hope it is NOT spongy when pressed?!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 23:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice job, Neat. Do remember that there is a metal sleeve around when cleaning out fiddling around else you know the results.
Thank you.... I shall keep this in mind for sure.

Quote:
How much distance have you driven post service?
47 KMs to be precise.

Quote:
I saw while they were doing the front caliper greasing. Unsure what they did to the rear ones. The bite feel is a bit late as compared to pre-service condition. Honestly am a bit worried about this than the engine noise post-service.

Some smaller yet significant things regarding the HU software update.
  • As per SA, the HU software update takes about ~15 minutes. Engine should be continously running / idling during these 15 minutes. For any reasons if the ignition is switched off, not only the software update is halted but the entire HU itself needs to be replaced.
  • Each time the update is done, one needs to remove the device that was paired and add again. Else, Bluetooth will never get connected. Some pictures below

Software update initializing
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-initializing.jpg

Copying of update files in progress 77/100
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-copying-updated-files.jpg

Updated software version
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-updated-version.jpg
Keynote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think they have bled the brakes. They have greased the caliper pin and cleaned the brake pads only.
Since we are in the same work place I get to drive his car multiple times. Keynote casually asked me to drive the vehicle and check how it is post service. It was during this drive that I got the scares and told him something is not right with the brakes.Compared to the brake feel before the service, now it is in fact dangerous! The brakes feel spongy and the pedal travel has increased by at least twice as much as what it was before. Whatever extent to which you were pressing the brakes earlier does not stop the vehicle now. It keeps on going and narrowly missed hitting the wall of our parking space at office. Further investigation / troubleshooting is definitely necessary.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:13   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I dont think they have bled the brakes. They have greased the caliper pin and cleaned the brake pads only.
I have doubts on the caliper pin greasing.

Hope the pin was moving freely inside after the greasing job? Like no air lock. Can you check that?

If it feels 'spongy' + increase in pedal travel then to me it is the presence of air in the brake line.

Can't think of any other reason. If you don't mind, go to any local mechanic and get the brakes bled once. Would clear the doubt.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have doubts on the caliper pin greasing
Thanks for the quick one Gentlemen. I shall get this checked at the earliest and keep in mind all suggested points. By the way, with almost 90 KMs post service the engine noise is back to its original form which is good . However, I pity the SAs who put so much effort in ensuring the vehicle is returned in best condition only to screw up the braking issue and change the whole nice experience that I got to witness yesterday.
Old 6th April 2017, 17:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think they have bled the brakes.
Quote:
Like no air lock. go to any local mechanic and get the brakes bled once.
You both were spot on, and thank you very much for the timely help & suggestion. Took the vehicle to BIMAL Nexa service center as it is close to workplace. Since appointment was fixed, there was immediate response in attending to the vehicle. Mr.Hemprasad (SA exclusively for NEXA vehicles) & Mr.Pinto (Senior Technical Engineer) took the crossover for a spin. After the drive they decided to check for air in the break lines and cleared the same. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes, after which another test drive ensured the brakes have become perfectly fine as it was pre-service condition. BIMAL Nexa folks were very efficient and completed the work in a professional manner. Though the service was done at Pratham Nexa, BIMAL Nexa folks fixed the brake issue as part of their goodwill gesture. In the end I remain thoroughly satisfied with the entire work performed and can drive my tusker confidently in the highways.
Keynote is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 17:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Mr.Hemprasad (SA exclusively for NEXA vehicles) & Mr.Pinto (Senior Technical Engineer) took the crossover for a spin.
These are the two guys who I interact with every time I go for my service. They are pretty competent and very understanding. Have had good experience with Bimal all through

Really glad they were able to solve the issue to your satisfaction.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 19:14   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
They are pretty competent and very understanding. Really glad they were able to solve the issue to your satisfaction.
Thank you Vigkey, yes both abhinav.s and myself were pleasantly surprised the way they handled the issue and fixed it in no time. In fact, have been thinking strongly to try future services at BIMAL just based on this experience although Pratham was the first choice.

Quote:
Bingo. Happy for you and Tusker. Back in form with confidence. PS: Were you charged anything for this appointment?! Any follow-up from Pratham?
It was Pratham SA who suggested BIMAL / Mr. Hemprasad as they happen to be good friends. Also, BIMAL service center is located just 2 KMs from my workplace. No charges at all, not even a job card was opened and was done as a goodwill gesture.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 19:31   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

@Keynote : This is the major advantage with Maruti. I have experienced the same in all my cars. Most of the service centre guys are helpful and do not even charge for minor jobs. Happy for your tusker
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 21:04   #71
BHPian

Quick update from a recent highway day trip :
  • Fellow bhpian abhinav.s and myself along with our respective families went on a day trip to Kukke Shree Subramanya temple last Saturday covering almost ~600 KMs.
  • tusker enjoyed this trip driving through open highway roads which were butter smooth and some winding ghat section after passing through the roads in Sakleshpur which has literally turned into graveyards for ~800 trees as part of road widening project.
  • While the descent in the ghat sections was easy to drive during the onward journey, had to patiently work through the gear in finding gaps while overtaking during the ascent which was cumbersome at times.
  • abhinav.s was lucky with his newly acquired hot hatch as it was a breeze for him in the ghat section be it overtaking or finding gaps at will which really made me feel a bit jealous.
  • Otherwise it was a peaceful drive and tusker crossed the first landmark of 10000 KMs during this divine trip.
  • Left home from Kasturi Nagar at 6:15 AM, with a stop for breakfast at Mayura, access to special darshan at the temple, lunch at Vijay comforts and an intenionally long 1.5 hours of evening snack break at Swathi Delicacy from 6 PM to 7:15 PM so that the kids can have play time and the Bangalore city evening traffic can be avoided. We managed to get back home by 9:25 PM.
  • Oh by the way we were also lucky to see a well maintained Suzuki Grand Vitara with awesome interiors, Michelin AT tyres and team-bhp stickers which we guess belongs to our friendly moderator Samurai.
  • Now for the kitna deti hai tribe below is the picture depicting the same.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-kukkecollage.jpg

Last edited by Keynote : 24th April 2017 at 21:05.
Keynote is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 22:29   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
an intenionally long 1.5 hours of evening snack break at Swathi Delicacy from 6 PM to 7:15 PM so that the kids can have play time and the Bangalore city evening traffic can be avoided. We managed to get back home by 9:25 PM. [*]Oh by the way we were also lucky to see a well maintained Suzuki Grand Vitara with awesome interiors, Michelin AT tyres and team-bhp stickers which we guess belongs to our friendly moderator Samurai.
Hey, I was informed about this sighting.

Bit curious about the timings though. I was at Swati Delicacy from 7:35pm to 7:55pm. Not sure how you saw me if you left by 7:15pm.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 22:45   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was at Swati Delicacy from 7:35pm to 7:55pm. Not sure how you saw me if you left by 7:15pm.
I stand corrected.. We were there till around 7:35 - 7:40 pm and I meant to type 7:35 but it came out as 7:15...
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 00:07   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Some work in progress pics at Pratham Service Center, HSR Extension

Changes noticed post service :

The engine feels quite coarse compared to the pre-service engine sound that I'm used to. I don't think this is normal - Any thoughts on this?

The brake pedal travel has increased post caliper greasing resulting in reduced breaking efficiency. Should I wait for some more days before jumping the guns?
Pratham Motors Kudlu Gate / HSR Extension service center is not as accomplished as other Maruti Service centers. I have been there due to two issues and both were unsatisfactory.

1. Metal to Metal rubbing noise on undulations as explained in my ownership thread. They were not able to resolve the issue and abused my vehicle over two test drives. This was finally sorted by their Bellandur ORR branch.

2. Replacement of rear side wiper arm. The mechanics there struggled to remove the broken plastic wiper arm for 15 minutes. I was shocked at their incompetency for such a trivial task.

I would request you to avoid this service center. They are not able to solve issues and attitude is also a notch below than other service centers.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 20:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow bhpian abhinav.s and myself along with our respective families went on a day trip to Kukke Shree Subramanya temple last Saturday covering almost ~600 KMs.
It was an awesome trip and really enjoyed the drive and the company with the tusker on the 600kms round trip. Though i was able to make gaps in the ghats, you were un-catchable on the straights!

On the topic of service, I recently drove an S-Cross 1.6 with Castrol Synthetic Oil. There was a marked difference in the engine clatter on cold start and even during the drive, it was building revvs a bit more effortlessly. I guess you can try it in the next oil change with Castrol or other MGO like Mobil 1 or Shell FS Oil.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed