Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2017, 11:54   #16
BANNED

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!

Hey, finally you have put it down, haven't you!!

Review is just brilliant with a fantastic attention to detail and images about are.. I am out of words to describe them.

Congratulations once again buddy on the 1.6L Alpha.
Keep the thread updated regularly. Thank you.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 11:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved reading the review buddy

I was about to take delivery of 1.3 Zeta in April 2016, but finally bought 1.6 Alpha in May 2016. This is one of the best change of booking ever happened . I have driven around 16000 KM and the 1.6 would never disappoint you.

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 11:57   #18
BHPian

Ah, the S-Cross 1.6.. I envy you, man! This is one car I'd buy if I had Vitamin M! You can't go wrong with this one. Congratulations on acquiring your own 'tusker' (wonderfully apt name). Wishing you kilometers of happiness and trouble free ownership and service (being a Suzuki in India, I guess that's a given, more or less). Drive safe, God bless.
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 12:55   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on your new vehicle Keynote. Just a word of suggestion, get the alloy wheels updated to some better looking (preferably black) one and it will make a huge difference to the overall looks. One BHPian here has done this on his S-Cross (Image Attached) and it looks freaking awesome! Get some alloys and wheels that do justice to the overall proportions of the car. Wishing you a lot of happy miles!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-back-2.jpg  

navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 12:56   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car Keynote. Am not too regular at TBHP so am not familiar with the posts or the people but am glad you opted for the 1.6. Great that you changed the tyres to P3.

Most cars and bikes bought by me are purely bought from the heart with a little help from the head!! Vehicles for my wife are another story! If the motor wows me then thats the car to buy and some of the not so great aspects i happily accept.

Am still awaiting my car and bought it after a 15 minute drive of a friends 1.6. Later after I confirmed to Nexa did I read up a few reviews here!!!

Would 215/60 R16 not be a better choice on this car??? The difference of 6mm would possibly improve low speed ride?? Most guys including myself opt to change alloys and momo 16 " seems a good option. Now keeping in mind that momos are 7J as compared to 6J for stock a 215 width would also sit squarer and the increase will be more around 3 to 4mm and thats fine. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Congratulations again
dinyaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 14:53   #21
BHPian

Great report! (Great reviews and great photography)

As you indicated in your report, the stock headlamps are just useless. I am still looking for options to upgrade the light. Dr. Naren's fog additions seem to be a good choice but I am still considering the XP Micro's. I ended up driving at night a couple of times to Salem/Coimbatore and needless to say, the lights were a complete disappointment. I found a workaround though - Use the headlamp leveler to set the light to lowest position, switch to high beams and then use the fogs. You can't see far off things, but if you keep the speeds under 90, then you should be good to cruise with sufficient light. We definitely need the light upgrade. The problem is the stinginess of Maruti. Where in they could have put in a 35W ballast, they opted for 25W.

You will love the car more and more as you drive it for sure - I can tell you that. You will start making excuses to go for a drive.

A note about NEXA - Forget that you will ever receive further calls, updates from your RM. They are just a bunch of executives trying to make a sale. Nothing more. However, your service with Pratham motors (Queens Road) will be a good experience. Talk to Pratish in case of any issues. Their workshop does not have a lot of space but have the required equipment and the expertise. Please note, they will only go by the books.

My car has started to give out some rattles. So I am not of the opinion that the S-Cross sold in india is of a very high and international quality. I am basing this opinion out of my ownership with a Honda city. It had seen the same set of roads during its tenure with me and after 5 years, it as as tight as a new car. The service bills were ~4000 per visit and nothing more. Compared to that my 1.3 throws in a bill of 4000+ for every visit.

Your tyre pressure of 36 is high in my opinion. 33 and 35 (with full load) are the recommended ones for comfort. A 1-2 PSI increase will reduce the comfort by a significant amount in my tests. I always keep it at 33.

I am installing a TPMS system in my car and it's almost done. I'll update the ownership thread shortly.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:00   #22
BHPian

@Keynote: Some absolutely wonderful and even better car! Great choice and congratulations. I wish you some lovely road-trips across the country.

I drove my colleague's car, S-Cross 1.3, recently from Vellore to Chennai and I seriously loved the car. I was flooring like most of the way, even over the rough patches. I was extremely impressed with the handling and stability. Very comfortable driving position too.

Very much considering this for my next upgrade, especially with the facelift coming up.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Superb review - Wishing you many more miles with the car.

When I was in the market for a new Car, S-Cross was on top of my list , 1.6 L version - The overall fit & finish , interior build quality , Paint job are top notch - clearly above all the other Maruti' cars except perhaps Kizhazhi and Grand Vitara.

The only reason I couldn't select S-Cross was the lack of automatic - If only Maruti could provide a decent auto gearbox - Not the AMTs, I feel it would be a complete product -

May be Maruti should launch it a mid-life refresh with an aggressive front and an Auto gearbox. It can give Creta a tough competition.

In the end, I went with a 2nd hand Passat - which is a car in different league of course but S-Cross is still a car to go far.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Congratulations KeyNote!! The 1.6 diesel is one beast of a machine.
Apart from the engine, the other big USP of S-Cross is that is very un-like Maruti! (pun-intended)

It was a strong contender during my purchase process last year as well - My kid's liking of Ecosport looks sealed the deal towards the Ford though!

I see the Bangalore dealers really jack-up the prices
Ford Ecosport TDCI - Titanium - ~11.40 L
For comparison, I was able to pick a TDCi Titanium+ in Thane for 11.1 L last November!
Considering the price difference between the two variants and the difference in taxes, the dealers in Bangalore easily jack-up the price by 50-60K at their end.

Last edited by anurag.somani : 24th March 2017 at 15:49.
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Hearty congratulations Keynote. Excellent review and pictures. Glad that you found a car that you really love. Wish you many miles of merry motoring.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:19   #26

Congratulations and well written review and photographs. Special mention and clap to the 'addictive' part

Glad i did get some company in embassy golf links 😊.

Initially when I bought a 1.6, it seemed to be just like any other hatch and mixed with other cars ,but, recently those silver roof rails and 1.6 badging is giving a cult following to this car

Good choice and wish you many more happy miles
Satyakart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:49   #27
BHPian

Congratulations Keynote on your new ride. Lovely car the 1.6 SCross is and super shots which make the review even more awesome.

Wishing you tons of happy miles on this mile cruncher of yours !
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
the review is well written and the photographs (witty titles too) do justice to S Cross' subtle beauty.
Thanks dailydriver. Yes, the witty titles just came in a flow during composition of the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
However, at a few places, the car appears to be of a different colour than Granite Gray.
Since the car paint is a reflective surface it reacts differently (shows different color) during different times of the day. The 'true' color of the crossover is portrayed when it is under the shade and without any harsh light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A very well balanced report that will be immensely useful to all prospective buyers. In lot of cases we tend to overlook some of the shortcomings of our new car. Nice to see that you have objectively listed out the things that could have been better and also elaborated more on these items during the course of the review.
Thank you Rajeevraj, I feel humbled. "A spade is a spade", there are no two ways about it. In fact one of the many reasons for the delay in review was in understanding more about the vehicle by covering few thousand kms and then publishing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Please convey thanks to your wife also for shooting all the pictures for the review. A set of nice pictures always takes a review to another level.
Glad you like the pictures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
A very well written review too. I loved your version of Addiction.
Thanks sawnilrules. Honestly,I didn't know how else to explain that addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I still remember the amount of time spent on different test drives before zeroing in on the S-Cross 1.6L ! Review has come out really well and special mention about the superb clicks to your wife.
Buddy...you took utmost pain in answering my stupidest questions, accompanied me on most of the test drives, you were absolutely stubborn that you'll NOT get into the Scross 1.3 for test drive after having test driven the 1.6L at first instance itself and most importantly all your guidance in shaping this review... i can't thank you enough and certainly owe you ONE

Last edited by Keynote : 24th March 2017 at 17:02.
Keynote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car keynote. I also traced a similar journey but in my case I booked the zeta 1.3 and due to 1.3 powerplant availability issues, moved to the 1.6 which was a big leap financially. No regrets though. Done around 13500 kms in about 7 months and enjoying every moment of it.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

That is one heck of a review, Keynote. Brilliantly written with great attention to detail, and of course the fab pictures by your better half. Do keep sharing updates here regularly! The S cross is indeed a special car from Maruti, unlike all others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post

I see the Bangalore dealers really jack-up the prices
Ford Ecosport TDCI - Titanium - ~11.40 L
For comparison, I was able to pick a TDCi Titanium+ in Thane for 11.1 L last November!
Considering the price difference between the two variants and the difference in taxes, the dealers in Bangalore easily jack-up the price by 50-60K at their end.
I didn't get what you meant by dealers jack up prices. That is just a result of tax rates in Bangalore, not sure what dealers have to do with it.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed