Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2018, 18:59   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The car comes with MOE tyres which are basically runflats. I think you can keep the spare wheel away whenever you need to extra boot space. You shouldnt have a problem as run are quite reliable in that sense and won't really leave you stranded.
Unless the spec has changed in the last one year, that is not correct. The GLC comes with ordinary tubeless tyres and not MOE tyres. Surprisingly, one of the dealers claimed otherwise. Given the contradiction between what the two Bombay dealers were saying, I got it verified while evaluating my car purchase.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st March 2018 at 18:41. Reason: Post fixed on request. runflat -> tubeless tyres
Old 21st March 2018, 08:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Unless the spec has changed in the last one year, that is not correct. The GLC comes with ordinary tubeless tyres and not MOE tyres. Surprisingly, one of the dealers claimed otherwise. Given the contradiction between what the two Bombay dealers were saying, I got it verified while evaluating my car purchase.
The car does come with MOE Tyres as per what my SA told me. Either ways I don’t think there is much difference as MO is basically Mercedes way of patenting a term for runflats for their own.

In other news- Booked a white GLC300 yesterday. Delivery in 10 days or so as the car is at the factory yet. None of the Mumbai dealers had the Petrol version for test drive so I tested the diesel but booked the Petrol based on the reviews I read so far. Diesel was quite refined but I’m glad Ajmat has mentioned in this review that the Petrol is more refined than the CLA200 Petrol in which I find refinement on the lower side. I also feel with the anti diesel policies by the govt, resale of the Petrols will be better than the diesels 5 years down the line. Moreover, 50 more bhp for just 40k more price was a no brainer- the incremental power works out to just ₹800 per horse

This will be the third Mercedes of current generation in the family after the S and CLA. The GLC feels very similar to the CLA. It does feel all very familiar now in the garage but inspite of being keen to which brands for this reason, we couldn’t find a better suited car!
This car replaces our 5 series which had low seating hence priority was higher seating yet similar sized SUV that could do daily city commutes , park easily yet be comfortable for monthly or fortnightly Mumbai-Pune highway runs.
Thus, the X1 just didn’t have that premium feel, the new q5 is too overpriced being a CBU, the x3 is on its life cycle end and the discovery sport just didn’t cut it. The C, XE, XF were also evaluated but more space and higher seating were priority hence these were dismissed soon after the test drive.

I’m not one to question - kitna deti hai! But I’m curious as the SA claims the GLC300 and GLC220 give the exact same FE and max difference would be 1 kmpl. Do we have any GLC300 owners here to verify FE figures?

Last edited by aah78 : 21st March 2018 at 18:41. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 17:22   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car does come with MOE Tyres as per what my SA told me. Either ways I don’t think there is much difference as MO is basically Mercedes way of patenting a term for runflats for their own.
Just realised I had mistyped. Meant to say the GLC comes with ordinary tubeless tires and not run flats. But may be they have changed that spec since then.

Quote:

In other news- Booked a white GLC300 yesterday. I feel with the anti diesel policies by the govt, resale of the Petrols will be better than the diesels 5 years down the line. Moreover, 50 more bhp for just 40k more price was a no brainer

But I’m curious as the SA claims the GLC300 and GLC220 give the exact same FE and max difference would be 1 kmpl. Do we have any GLC300 owners here to verify FE figures?
Congrats. I had the same concern but ultimately went with the X3 diesel. Guess the discount I got was enough to compensate for any loss of resale value. I however think your SA told you a whopper on the fuel economy - when I test drove both GLCs, the petrol’s long term FE was about 2 or 3 kmpl less than that of the diesel
Old 26th March 2018, 16:46   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

While I am awaiting delivery of the GLC300, I decoded the VIN and found some surprising inclusions that would be worth adding to this review for future buyers

B63 ENGINE NOISE OVER SPEAKER
M014 ENGINE INCREASED PERFORMANCE

No wonder reviews have been claiming this car has V6 like performance and sound. Mercedes is slyly fooling us by faking it the sound.

The increase engine performance is intriguing. So I looked at the specs of the GLC300 from MB USA website and found the specs are indeed lower!

GLC300 USA: 241 hp @ 5,500 rpm Net torque 273 lb-ft @ 1,300-4,000 rpm
GLC300 INDIA: 245 hp @ 5,500 rpm Net torque 370 lb-ft @ 1,300-4,000 rpm

The bhp difference is minimal but 100nm more torque is great!!

I guess they have done this to try and give the full power output even when running on low grade Indian regular petrol. The US version with 100nm less does 0 to 100 in 6.5 seconds hence with the "Engine Increase Power" add-on spec on the India version it would hold true on regular petrol and with 97 octane it could be a 10% quicker I reckon- Which means sub 6 seconds to the ton, nippy lil SUV

Last edited by Sahil : 26th March 2018 at 16:49.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 17:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GLC300 USA: 241 hp @ 5,500 rpm Net torque 273 lb-ft @ 1,300-4,000 rpm
GLC300 INDIA: 245 hp @ 5,500 rpm Net torque 370 lb-ft @ 1,300-4,000 rpm

The bhp difference is minimal but 100nm more torque is great!!
The torque is the same 273lb-ft is 370Nm, imperial to metric conversion. 370lb-ft is nearly 500Nm,commonly seen in the Mercedes 250 diesel engine reviews. They have only the 43 series with that kind of torque, even that tops out at 480Nm.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 17:58   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The torque is the same 273lb-ft is 370Nm, imperial to metric conversion. 370lb-ft is nearly 500Nm,commonly seen in the Mercedes 250 diesel engine reviews. They have only the 43 series with that kind of torque, even that tops out at 480Nm.

False alarm! My bad! I miss read the lb-ft and NM figures as the USA website quoted in lb-ft and Indian one in NM.

But, this is even more intriguing now- what exactly does this M014 ENGINE INCREASED PERFORMANCE mean?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 19:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

False alarm! My bad! I miss read the lb-ft and NM figures as the USA website quoted in lb-ft and Indian one in NM.

But, this is even more intriguing now- what exactly does this M014 ENGINE INCREASED PERFORMANCE mean?
The increased performance refers to the fact that the engine has another version with lower output (185hp/300Nm). The engine is new and saying increased performance should lead to quicker lease signing in the US.

The 300 badge is used because buyers associate it with the old inline six cylinder engines that were popular on Mercedes cars in the US for a long time. To be fair, the engine's output does match the old petrol v6 (350).
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 19:46   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I am awaiting delivery of the GLC300

Congrats Sahil, any reasons you did not wait for the new X3, it's here next month, heard it's going to be fully loaded at the launch.

I will agree with your choice of Petrol. And did you considered/ drove the NX?

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th March 2018 at 19:47.
Old 26th March 2018, 20:56   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats Sahil, any reasons you did not wait for the new X3, it's here next month, heard it's going to be fully loaded at the launch.

I will agree with your choice of Petrol. And did you considered/ drove the NX?
Haggled them to give me nearly 10 lakhs off OTR price. I’m sure that answers both your questions

I had driven the NX few months ago when we bought the ES300h. It has the same engine and wasn’t very exciting to drive. Almost the entire engine sound is via the speakers in the sport mode of the NX and the rubber band effect is quite prominent. Moreover, being a CBU the RTO tax in MH would itself have been 12 lakhs for the NX which would take the price to 65L+. Even if they have the same offers running as earlier of taking care of the RTO tax, the GLC300 deal was better. The NX with 50 less horses and nearly half the torque is no match.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 20:06   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Got delivery yesterday of the GLC300 in White! Pics below!

Our family association with MBIL dates back to 2001 when the C-class was first launched- The terror machine- C180. We bought two of them back to back, one of which was amongst the first cars to be delivered in India. Being early adopters isn't always a good thing and we had a horrendous experience with both cars. Swore not to go back to the brand until they set things straight. For 14 years we didn't buy a Mercedes, instead, BMWs and Audi entered the garages. However, in less than 3 years we have bought 3 Mercedes, clearly, MB has come back with vengeance into our homes!

We bought our S from Autohangar in 2015, CLA from Shaman in 2016 and this time the GLC has come from Landmark- Mumbai's newest MB dealer.
This is the first time MBIL has appointed a third dealer within the same city. Competition has heated up big time. Landmark being the newest dealer has a lot of ground to cover and they are hence the most aggressive in the market. Not only did they give the best price but also provided great customer service and promptness on delivery- The car was delivered within a week of booking even though it was not in their stock and had to be dispatched from the MBIL factory.

I haven't had the chance to drive the car much and am keeping an easy foot on it until the break in. However, initial impression are great! The petrol engine is silky smooth and NVH levels are wayyy better than the GLC220d.
Interior fit and finish is superb, hard to tell that the seats are art leather and not real leather. My CLA too has artico but the quality in the GLC is much better.

Will update once I have driven the car a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-whatsapp-image-2018039-4.37.33-pm.jpeg  

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-whatsapp-image-20180329-4.37.33-pm.jpeg  

Sahil is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:01   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Sahil on your new white stallion. Post some pictures especially of the interiors. I wish you many happy and trouble free miles. Looking forward to reading more. I am envious of your garage. ;-)
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:11   #72

I am considering GLC 300 (Petrol) and X3 (2018 - Diesel). Heard that GLC cost of maintenance is quite high although ORP right now for GLC is 9 L lower (in Pune, GLC 300 is cheaper than Diesel version - around 57 L and X3 is around 66L with some discounts considered.

Questions I have are
1. Are these right prices or more discounts can be given by dealers?
2. What is the maintenance cost of GLC yearly (I heard figures of 60K to 75K) - these seem to be very high. My running is not more than 6000-7000 km per year. I have been paying 25K per year for 3 series.
3. Is it better to take extended warranty now itself upto 5 years?
4. Is Agility package (assured return buyback) better for someone who changes cars every 5-6 years?
5. Any big issues in either of these cars - any major differences apart from navigation that we need to consider?

Would appreciate responses from owners/experts.
Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 18:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

So the battery of the remote control of our 2017 GLC 220d Sport is shockingly already dying. I am guessing that the remote battery of cars having the keyless entry system with Start/Stop button tend to drain out waaaay faster than the regular flip key remotes. The remote battery of our 2016 Skoda Superb also drained out with in 02 years of usage.

I have never even once changed the remote battery of my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 till date.

Called up Landmark Mercedes at Thane and was told that the remote battery costs around 2k Is this true? I just went to my trusted mechanic and got it changed for 200 bucks!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 15:37   #74
BHPian

They are mostly CR2032 and Cost about RS 50.
msudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:00   #75
BHPian

Can anyone point to me what fuel efficiency the petrol GLC300 returns?
I am in the market for an premium SUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks