Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 11:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
How was the column stalk mounted gear lever to use? For people used to right side indicator stalks, do you think they'll accidentally tip the gear lever instead?!!
The column stalk mount is one of the easiest to use in the class due to its minimalistic movement. Personally, I've never had a problem using it in my E and I actually prefer it to the traditional location used in other cars.
mohaks19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Oh that ridiculous spare tyre was the only factor which made us decide against the GLC to replace our Skoda Superb. How difficult is it for Mercedes (or even BMW and Audi for that matter) to create a space for that spare tyre?

The sales executives keep talking about the run-flat tyres and how you can still use them until you find the nearest tyre repair shop and all but I do not think they realize this is India we are talking about here where the chances of cutting your tyres let alone getting a flat is much higher than probably Germany.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Oh that ridiculous spare tyre was the only factor which made us decide against the GLC to replace our Skoda Superb. How difficult is it for Mercedes (or even BMW and Audi for that matter) to create a space for that spare tyre?
OT: I believe newer BMWs in India have a proper tyre well for the space saver spare (e.g.; the new X1).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:49   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review Khan and Ajmat.

We have driven the GLC for so many events, but your review actually made me check out a few features that i didn't notice / took for granted!

Since you guys couldn't take the car offroad, let me briefly talk about the offroad aspect.

We have driven it extensively in simulated offroad conditions.

We did the launch in Hong Kong way back on November 2015

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...hong-kong.html

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-collage-hk.jpg

The interiors of the car launched there are too cool in my opinion. Love the criss cross seat:

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-interior-front.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-interior-rear.jpg

Anyways, coming back to the point in question. We recently did three launch tracks for dealerships in Mumbai and Pune and will do the fourth one this weekend.

Let me say one thing, out of the 4 GL series of vehicles, i love the GLC.

Why?

The size is perfect for city use.

The GLE (ML) and GLS are too big. The GLA is small plus a 2WD option (though i think it looks nice).

The GLC i think is perfectly balanced.

We have been driving the 300 petrol and I'm loving the power delivery. Its not a monster but no slouch from any angle. Overtaking is confidence inspiring and downshifts are fast on slamming the A pedal.

I have used all gears once on the sea link just to see them in action. Though not done an efficiency test, the gear changes are quite seamless.

I think the power to weight ratio is perfect for this vehicle.

Coming to off the road performance:

Our cars have always been the CBU units. I think the first lot of 200 cars is CBU. Or is it CKD? Not sure. But it has all features.

We put the car through various obstacles and our obstacles take the cars to the limit. At not point were we scared in these cars. At times on side slopes the GLS and GLE are scary but the GLC due to the lower height is confidence inspiring.

The approach and departure angles are much better than the GLA and GLE.

Of course the GLS is in another league with height adjustable suspension.

Note: When i said GLE above, i meant the base 250d and not the 350d which offers height adjustment options.

Even the GC is decent in GLC.

The suspension is perfectly tuned for Indian roads and she absorbs bad roads without a sweat. Even on fast gravel roads, she inspires confidence. The only other car stock that i could really take fast on bad twisty roads is the AWD Duster.

The electronic aids on this car really shine. The DSR works flawlessly and you can set the speed from 6kmph to 2kmph.

Offroad modes also work as described and its the TC that does a lot of work when you are on cross axle articulation.

Im not very good at writing reviews, so i'll let the pictures do the talking.

Bottom line, i won't classify her as a regular soft roader but as a very capable soft roader that could really do a lot in case the situation demands. Ofcourse, people buying a 60lakh plus rupee car won't do things like we do, but its always good to know what she can do.

And as i said during my Porsche offroad review, even these cars took all the abuse we gave here. Only issue here again was pebbles getting stuck between the callipers and disks and a couple of punctures (attributed to rubble used as landfill in the grounds we used).

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-13269295_923299757798524_1572210624141212653_n.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-13432246_934873063292320_1877694978644488376_n.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-13528801_923299741131859_5170505043754500915_n.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5478.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5485.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5486.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5563.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5540.jpg

Discount the slight cheat by the photographer.

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5670.jpg

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-img_5691.jpg

Pic Courtesy: Some clicked by us, a few by Milind Kale and by the dealerships. All pics used with permission.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 28th June 2016 at 12:56. Reason: added pic courtesy line.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
The column stalk mount is one of the easiest to use in the class due to its minimalistic movement. Personally, I've never had a problem using it in my E and I actually prefer it to the traditional location used in other cars.
It is easy

The stalk controls the motion of the car
The paddles controls the gears
The drive setting controls the gear change characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

The sales executives keep talking about the run-flat tyres and how you can still use them until you find the nearest tyre repair shop and all but I do not think they realize this is India we are talking about here where the chances of cutting your tyres let alone getting a flat is much higher than probably Germany.
Not sure whether the sales guy thought he was selling a BMW as Mercs don't have runflat in India. A shame as then you could leave the silly spare at home during the odd airport run
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Nice report. But the spare in the boot seems like a deal breaker. What's the point of an SUV if you can't load luggage in the boot on out of town trips? And how can you sell a car without space for a spare without run flats? Btw, how is the Petrol to drive compared to the Audi Q5? Drove a Q5 abroad recently (a petrol TFSI) and found it quite nice - but luggage space was limited (without a wheel in the boot).

Last edited by Hayek : 28th June 2016 at 20:16.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:35   #22
BHPian

A question for those who drove the GLC?
A beautiful beast no doubt, but looking at the offroading pictures, does it have Headlight washers?
The pics show that the headlights can get really dirty, and you would definitely need headlight washers to ensure visibility in low light situations.
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
A question for those who drove the GLC?
A beautiful beast no doubt, but looking at the offroading pictures, does it have Headlight washers?
The pics show that the headlights can get really dirty, and you would definitely need headlight washers to ensure visibility in low light situations.
No washers. But then this was pure offroading in slush with slides and drifts, something that you won't do in routine driving.
And we were doing atleast 100 runs a day in slush.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 20:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
No washers. But then this was pure offroading in slush with slides and drifts, something that you won't do in routine driving.
And we were doing atleast 100 runs a day in slush.
Thanks. I just asked because the lights did look dirty. I do agree no one will push these cars off road or indeed in the way they were pushed in the demo.
But you would always wish to have these small features on such a pricey car.

If I remember correctly the Skoda Laura and old Octavia used to have these washers.

Do wonder if international versions get the washers?
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 21:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I remember correctly the Skoda Laura and old Octavia used to have these washers.

All cars with Xenon lights abroad are required to have headlight washers as the dirt affected the refraction and dazzled oncoming traffic. I am assuming the LED's in the Mercedes are intelligent and divert light away from the traffic in the first place.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 21:26   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It is such a nice vehicle. The natural successor to the GLK which I love.
But it is so so expensive!

And I agree that the Spare in the Boot is a pain when it comes to luggage.
Same problem with the GLA which also I really like.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 21:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
I also find it convenient to use.

However a few customers while on the road did shift to neutral while natural going for the indicator stalk. It's always a confusion driving German vs Indian cars. This could be a safety issue.

Funny thing is after driving these cars so much when you get in the pajero, I pressed the clutch and turned on the indicator trying to reverse

Quote:

The Hong Kong ones didn't have. Guess these are part of individual country regulations.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 23:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

That is definitely not a pretty looking car exterior wise IMO.This company look that is being carried over to every model from the S to c to now the suv's has started looking drab. Though the interiors look nice and the quality of materials look great.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 00:28   #29
BHPian

Got a call from MB Sales at AutoHangar and was quoted a price of 68 on road for the GLC in Mumbai. Thats a crazy amount of money considering the ex fac price which is 50 something.

GLC 220 d not worth it for a price of 68, otherwise i think its a good looking package. Also feel that this car shouldve come with the 250d tuning instead of 220d with the price that theyve launched. Why is MB still selling the 220d package. They need to get rid of that tune for such a heavy car.

Last edited by M00M : 29th June 2016 at 00:30.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Not sure whether the sales guy thought he was selling a BMW as Mercs don't have runflat in India. A shame as then you could leave the silly spare at home during the odd airport run
Not sure about Mercs not having runflats in India but if that is the case then it makes matters even worse doesn't it? Besides, if I have to still leave the spare tyre at home to accommodate luggage then what is the purpose of the spare in the first place. As I mentioned in my initial post that we were looking for a car to replace our Superb which was mainly used for outstation (once / twice a month) and airport trips (once in 3 months). The Superb has oodles of rear legroom and boot space which till now has not been matched by any car in that segment and price range.

Last edited by Epic : 29th June 2016 at 12:45.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks